PDA

View Full Version : My forerunner 310xt is dead

MARCONAZZI
10-03-2009, 01:23 PM
my new forerunner, after 2 weeks of life, suddenly is dead, no sign of life... i was trying to erase a course and...pofff. i tried hard, soft reset, plugging into power, no sign of life at all!!! what's going on?

EVG310
10-04-2009, 01:09 AM
My 310 XT did the same thing for just an hour ago. It only a cuppel of days old! :confused:

CPETROCK
10-04-2009, 12:14 PM
I had the same problem with my first 310XT--it was working beautifully for about 10 days and then died completely. Nothing could get it functioning again; I had to get it replaced. My new 310XT has been fine so far...I've had it about three weeks.

MARCONAZZI
10-04-2009, 02:34 PM
i think is a problem of the watch; tomorrow i'll take it to the assistence and i'll tell you what they will tell me....
marco-italy:):):)

MARCONAZZI
10-05-2009, 05:11 AM
Miracle!!! my forerunner is resurected! this morning it switchs on! i think the problem is SW..., while i was erasing a course it freezed...

GBMOD11
10-05-2009, 08:44 AM
If it's still not powering on, try a Master Reset by pressing Mode and Power at the same time. You will also want to ensure firmware (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/downloadsAgree.jsp?product=010-00741-00&cID=142&pID=27335)is up to date.

gbmod11

MARCONAZZI
10-05-2009, 09:11 AM
i've done it, now it seems that all is working... a miracle?

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
10-05-2009, 01:07 PM
my new forerunner, after 2 weeks of life, suddenly is dead, no sign of life... i was trying to erase a course and...pofff. i tried hard, soft reset, plugging into power, no sign of life at all!!! what's going on?

We are experiencing problems with both our 310XTs and courses. We have been unsuccessful in getting courses to the 310XT, yet the same course goes fine to a FR305 and an Edge 305.

For the moment we are not attempting to do anything with courses in the hope that this will be fixed in a future update.

OTTOOOME
10-05-2009, 02:49 PM
I went for a short run today
It was raining softly
I put my 310XT on charging today at 20h00
When I checked for the status at 21h00 the 310XT was out
and I could not start it up again.
No Soft or Hard reset helps
What is the problem?
I hope it is not water because it can go to 50meter under water

MARCONAZZI
10-06-2009, 12:36 AM
i had my problem with a long course, 160 km long... with shorter no problem, all working! waiting for new release of fw

DAVIDFRT
10-28-2009, 10:13 AM
After two perfect months my 310 would not upload yesterday's run. Upgraded the firmware and all was well. Ran this morning, reset the run and turned the unit off. Went to charge and upload an hour later and the unit is dead. Won't respond to a hard reset so will send it in for repair/Replacement. Usual prompt and helpful support from Garmin that I've experienced over many years and many products. A great product, and I'll miss it. Reassured to see others have had the same issue.

CPETROCK
11-22-2009, 02:19 PM
After about two months of normal use, my 2nd Forerunner 310XT died today. Went for a 12-miler, came back, uploaded the data to the computer, turned off the unit and plugged it in to recharge. Nothing at all. Twice in less than three months? C'mon Garmin! :mad:

HILLPRINTS
11-22-2009, 06:12 PM
I have not had a problem with mine turning off yet, but have had major problems with the Heart Rate sensor. More than half of my run will be fine and then all of the sudden I have not changed my speed at all my HR will spike. I called the company and went round and round with them for three weeks before they finally decided to replace the watch, said it was just my watch they hadn't heard of this problem from anyone else. I got a new one in the mail about a week ago, took it out yesterday on the bike and worked fine. Today I went out and just walked for 3.25 miles for a relaxing time and as I was coming in it showed my HR at 195, not even possible. This is my second watch and I am getting rather frustrated. Has anyone else had these kinds of problems. I had a 305 before this and it worked great.

DW152
11-22-2009, 06:14 PM
I have not had a problem with mine turning off yet, but have had major problems with the Heart Rate sensor. More than half of my run will be fine and then all of the sudden I have not changed my speed at all my HR will spike. I called the company and went round and round with them for three weeks before they finally decided to replace the watch, said it was just my watch they hadn't heard of this problem from anyone else. I got a new one in the mail about a week ago, took it out yesterday on the bike and worked fine. Today I went out and just walked for 3.25 miles for a relaxing time and as I was coming in it showed my HR at 195, not even possible. This is my second watch and I am getting rather frustrated. Has anyone else had these kinds of problems. I had a 305 before this and it worked great.

This sounds like this common problem:

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=1884

SMESSINGER3804
11-27-2009, 09:38 AM
Happened to me too - bought my 310XT at the Chicago store and it worked for about two weeks then nothing. Garmin replaced it.

TREVOR.GARSON
12-20-2009, 04:11 PM
I can't believe this seems to be this common of a problem, after owning many Garmin products I almost didn't believe it when I grabbed my 310XT off of the charger and headed out for a workout to find it dead. I threw it back on the charger and much as others describe, it is entirely unresponsive.

I've tried every reset, charging on both my computer and in the wall socket. Frankly I can't think of any other way to say it than I'm outright pissed, trying to hunker down and finish up the last few weeks of marathon training and Garmin has really let me down.

ANDREWMONK@ME.COM
12-27-2009, 07:20 PM
The same for me. I am out in the US on a training camp. No reason, the unit just died. Can't recharge, The usual restarts don't make a difference. I have enjoyed the three months using this product, but if they can't sort out the reliability, this will certainly be the last Garmin product I purchase. Will I be forced back to Polar?

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
12-27-2009, 09:33 PM
With thousands of devices made, there are always going to be some problems. Garmin is no different form Polar is no different from Timex in that respect.

By all means go to Polar but reading through their forums indicates little difference.

If I have a problem with a product my first port of call is always to the retailer, not the manufacturer. Most times the problems are resolved there and then as they are the warranty agents.

Maybe more people should try that approach first.

RAAM71
01-14-2010, 06:03 PM
My garmin is completely dead - died 2 weeks ago.

So far 2 x 25 minute wait phone calls to Garmin Australia.

What is the solution to the dead watches?

I'm really thining about ditching Garmin - this watch is 6 months old and it's dead. That is disgraceful.

So far I have spent 1 hour of my life on the phone to Garmin support - never in 18 years did I need to do that with Polar.

RAAM71
01-14-2010, 06:04 PM
With thousands of devices made, there are always going to be some problems. Garmin is no different form Polar is no different from Timex in that respect.

By all means go to Polar but reading through their forums indicates little difference.

If I have a problem with a product my first port of call is always to the retailer, not the manufacturer. Most times the problems are resolved there and then as they are the warranty agents.

In 18 years I have never had a polar go bad. Accurex plus many others bought.

DAVIDFRT
03-21-2010, 04:51 PM
Back in October my 310 died. Same symptoms as everyone else.
My retailer, the Running Room in Burlington Ontario was great. They replaced the unit hand since November it's worked perfectly.:) Today, exact same thing. Back from a run, turned it off, put it on charge, and no welcoming buzz. Oh no! Unit is dead again....:mad: So back to my retailer again. Looks though I'm not the only guy to have experienced two dead units.

ROJORACING
03-24-2010, 08:53 AM
open new box yesturday set on charger and an hour later still at 25%. I unpluged it and it was frozen tried the mode-lap reset and now it's completely dead. I called garmin an hour ago and spoke with Dan and he says this is uncommon and I need to return to my retailer. Ether he's full of $%*# about it being uncommon or we need more people with this problem calling up garmin. Maybe I'm just unlucky and my next one will make it more then 30 mins.

KNUSPERK3KS
06-20-2010, 06:05 AM
Ok my watch died today with the same symptoms,
hard / soft reset impossible any solution ?

ATHRUN
10-16-2010, 03:59 AM
Do you remember what firmware version you had?
I had problems with mine not reseting data and not recording distance so had to upgrade from v2.70 to v2.90 and then preform a hard reset, although may not help if unit can't turn on and connect to ANT.

LABUCKLAND
10-23-2010, 09:15 AM
I've been searching the forums and there are multiple threads about this problem. This seems to be an ongoing problem with this watch. In some cases it seems that even replacements have the same problem.

I've tried hard reboot and gotten nothing. However if you push the power on button and the up arrow, you get "software loader" on the screen. This means it's definitely not the battery.
:mad:

LABUCKLAND
10-23-2010, 09:19 AM

I disagree. Racing for ten years using a polar and a timex...never had problems with ANY of my devices. I've had problems with everyone of my Garmins. Statistically...Garmin has more problems. Plus...crappy customer service to boot.

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
10-23-2010, 05:48 PM
I disagree. Racing for ten years using a polar and a timex...never had problems with ANY of my devices. I've had problems with everyone of my Garmins. Statistically...Garmin has more problems. Plus...crappy customer service to boot.

Would you care to show the numbers used to generate your statistics. Or is your comment just based on the forum posts here? Or your personal experience? Do you have facts and figures to support it?

I really would like to know if our experience ( there are 2 of us) is unusual.

LABUCKLAND
10-25-2010, 08:40 AM
Would you care to show the numbers used to generate your statistics. Or is your comment just based on the forum posts here? Or your personal experience? Do you have facts and figures to support it?

Ironic that many of your posts in this forum seem to be in support of Garmin. Makes me wonder if you work there.

At any rate, I have been using Garmins since 2002. I've had exactly 6 different devices. I've had problems with EVERY SINGLE one of them. For instance, when I did the NYC Marathon, it seemed to be working the entire race, when I went to download the information (battery life still there), half the race was missing. WOW disappointing, eh?

Or this last August when I did a 30 Mile hike in the back country when it cut off the last ten miles of my hike...bummer. Or the time I did the Santa Barbara Long Course Tri and I didn't get any of that.

Or how about the fact that when you call into get support on a Monday morning at 8AM and the recording tells you you can expect a wait of 35 minutes. Or the time when I called to check on an order I placed after waiting for two weeks, to find out it was backordered. I finally got it in two months.

In fact, I am on the line right now for over 45 minutes. NO HELP yet. I have a Polar in my locker at the gym. I haven't changed the battery on that device in over 3 years. Never had a problem with it. It's my 7th polar. Never a problem. However...they are inherently difficult to use, hence my reason for buying a Garmin. Never had a problem with my Suuntos that I use for paragliding or my Timex devices.

At least statistically for me? There you go. When they work, they're awesome devices. However there's nothing like starting a race and wondering whether you're actually going to have data at the end.

Does that answer your question?:cool:

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
10-25-2010, 09:33 PM
I don't work for Garmin. Have had Garmin devices - FR305x2, Edge 305x1 and now 2x310X in this house now for close to 5 years with no significant problems - apart from the new HR strap. Good response from Garmin Support (NZ). No worries about whether or not data would be available after an event as it always has been.

So, statistically for us (2 in the house), based on a sample size of 2, a lot better result.

All your post says, and mine too for that matter, is that (y)our experience is...

Both our experiences prove nothing as the sample size is too small.

RAAM71
11-07-2010, 04:26 PM
Labuckland I think pillips testimony is not the same as ours.

Never in history of polar ownership did you experience the utter lack of reliability.

Phillips comments about stats are a furphy. His defence of garmin stands alone in this forum so to be honest he is the odd one out.

He has had issues with his watch if you read the posts.

The end point is why are these watches so unreliable?

What is so cutting edge about them that this feature is justified?

Polars don't just crash mid workout. My garmin does. My garmin is unreliable. This is strange as I have a $2000 large screen garmin gps in my car and it works well.

What is garmin saying about how long they'll keep handing out replacement watches?

Gps chips are as old as the hills.

INSALT
11-08-2010, 09:49 PM
I am now on my 3rd 310 xt in 10 months. The first one lasted 2 weeks and then locked up and wouldn't turn on. The second one lasted about 8 months and then locked up in other sport mode. It took over a month to get that one replaced and the 3rd one has lasted three weeks before locking up and can't be turned on. This problem was supposed to be addressed by the version 2.7 software. This unit has given more trouble than every other electronic component I have owned combined.:mad::confused:

ALAALA
11-08-2010, 11:50 PM
Since March 2006, I've had two 305s, one 405, one 50, one 310. Close to 2000 activities in the total. The only watch to crash was the 405 which had some childhood battery problems.

My 310 has never crashed.

You have to understand the psychology here: people don't post "I have no problem", people post if they have problems. Thus, in any forum like this one, the complainees are in (false) majority.

RAAM71
11-09-2010, 02:02 PM
Since March 2006, I've had two 305s, one 405, one 50, one 310. Close to 2000 activities in the total. The only watch to crash was the 405 which had some childhood battery problems.

My 310 has never crashed.

You have to understand the psychology here: people don't post "I have no problem", people post if they have problems. Thus, in any forum like this one, the complainees are in (false) majority.

You think people arent aware of that common forum characteristic? Come on it's 2010 not the year 2000. Everyone knows this characteristic. People are posting up about their problems - what is so revolutionary about that?

Name one high end polar HRM where there have been multiple replacements?

RAAM71
11-09-2010, 02:09 PM

Simple google of "310XT problems":

http://ifyoutri.blogspot.com/2010/01/garmin-forerunner-310xt-freezing.html

ALAALA
11-09-2010, 02:23 PM
You think people arent aware of that common forum characteristic? Come on it's 2010 not the year 2000. Everyone knows this characteristic.

Obviously not (no, I won't explain why, you'll have to figure it out).

Why?

If you want my opinon: don't like the Forerunner? Then sell it, and use the money as down payment for a Polar. Polar also has user groups I hear. You happy, everybody happy. But you probably don't want my opinion?

MADEUPNAME
11-09-2010, 02:28 PM
You think people arent aware of that common forum characteristic? Come on it's 2010 not the year 2000. Everyone knows this characteristic. People are posting up about their problems - what is so revolutionary about that?

My first RS800 had a screen that died within 3 months of operation and the S3 footpod sensor when calibration was bordering on the ridiculous. When both units were repaired I sold them on eBay. A year later a week after the RS800CX was launched I bought one of those - within 6 months the memory module and board was replaced and G3 GPS sensor was recalled and replaced under warranty. Two weeks ago the RS800CX was returned for repair because the up and down arrows stopped working.

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
11-10-2010, 05:04 PM
Simple google of "310XT problems":

http://ifyoutri.blogspot.com/2010/01/garmin-forerunner-310xt-freezing.html

Doesn't prove anything - Polar Forum (http://goo.gl/ZizyN)

HYRE1B
11-22-2010, 10:30 PM
Won't charge or respond to either USB or wall charge. Contacts are clear. No response whatsoever to anything or any of the reset buttons.

LABUCKLAND
11-23-2010, 08:55 PM
Well...get this. So I finally get a box from Garmin which is supposed to have my 310xt replacement after one week. Once opened, I discovered there was a refurbished GPS unit that obviously was meant for someone else. So I call them up and they tell me they can't send me my actual watch until they receive this refurbished unit they sent my by accident.

A week later after sending the wrong item back, I get my new 310xt. I have used it exactly twice. Now when I try to upload my data, it powers off. BRAND SPANKING FREAKING NEW.

This is absolutely unacceptable. At this point, I just want my money back.