PDA

View Full Version : Does foot pod for 310xt work on treadmill?

WILBOY1
09-30-2009, 08:29 PM
I do a lot of workouts on the treadmill and was thinking of getting the foot pod to record my workouts (speed and distance). I've read on this forum that when running outside the foot pod provides real time speed, but distance is still provided by GPS.

Question: is there a setting that allows the 310xt to record both speed AND distance from the foot pod when I'm indoors, so I can later upload the data?

EKUTTER
09-30-2009, 09:01 PM
If you don't have a GPS signal, distance will be calculated and recorded by the foot pod speed. Your best bet is to turn off the GPS by going to the menu, selecting 'GPS', then 'GPS Status', and setting 'enabled' to 'no'. Note you need to turn off the GPS every time you turn on the 310 because it always defaults to enabled at power on. I haven't tried it but without disabling the GPS, I suspect the results would be inconsistent if you were close to a window where the signal kept coming and going. Note that you will need to deal with all the issues of calibrating the foot pod while on the treadmill.

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
09-30-2009, 09:03 PM
In the absence of a GPS signal, distance will be calculated from the footpod. You will have to calibrate the footpod though

ALAALA
10-01-2009, 01:41 AM
In the absence of a GPS signal, distance will be calculated from the footpod. You will have to calibrate the footpod though

... preferably the treadmill, too.

STARWATCHERDE
10-01-2009, 02:21 AM
I use the footpod on the treadmill as well and after some calibration it works very well.
I am on a LifeFitness T5.5 and calibrated the device at 6min/km. The calibration value had to be set to 940.
If your footpod shows a faster pace than the treadmill you need to correct to a value lower than 1000. Start with 900 or 1100 calibration value, measure for some 100meters, and then correct slowly until the devices are in sync.
You can calibrate (cautiously! - dont fall off the treadmill :-) ) during the running exercise. Regardless how precise the treadmill itself works (you cannot correct anyway) just get it synced with the footpod in terns of pace (and associated distance).
Together with the HR strap you can record your exercise with the same (better?) preciseness like an outdoor training. And with regard to your question: yes, you can record both distance and pace/speed plus heart rate and upload the data later to your recording blog.

R.MCLACHLAN
10-01-2009, 08:41 AM
If you work on the assumtion that your treadmill is accurately calibrated (and that is a big assumption) then follow the manual and calibrate the footpod for a known distance at the speed you intend to run at.

Also ensure that GPS is turned off or your results will be completely out in terms of distance, although instananeous speed/pace will be ok.

MARKMANNER
10-01-2009, 08:46 AM
I think treadmills are known to not be very accurate, so I wouldn't calibrate my 310xt footpod to it if I wanted it to be a good backup for accurate distance on outdoor runs where gps is not good. I have calibrated mine outdoors, and just use it like that on the treadmill, and keep track of distances indoors based on the 310xt rather than what the treadmill shows. Mark

STARWATCHERDE
10-01-2009, 09:03 AM
that is interesting - I would have thought that especially a treadmill is easy to calibrate. Are there real figures available which document average deviations or are these assumptions?

ALAALA
10-01-2009, 09:24 AM
In case someone wants to check their treadmill (it isn't difficult):

1 Put a mark on the belt.
2 Measure the belt, from the mark, one full revolution (by slowly and stepwise moving it forward), note the length down in (at least) centimeters.
3 Measure the time (at least seconds with 1/10s) it takes for, say, 10 revolutions (perhaps preferably more) several times using several speeds.

((Belt length) * (number of revolutions)) / time is then easily converted to any pace/speed definition.

One is then able to find some coefficient to use when setting the treadmill speed so that you come closes to the actually desired belt speed (perhaps differrent coefficient depending on speed set).

I know that I have to add 0.3 km/h to the treadmill I sometimes use to get actual belt speed to the speed I want.

EJSHIMON
10-22-2010, 01:13 AM
The only problem with treadmill running is that even if you calibrate with the mark on the track, the belt stops/slips slightly with every foot strike, regardless of how tight you have your belt. So with the slip of the belt the treadmill will perceive less running distance than you are actually running. Just a frustrating fact about measuring running on a treadmill.

ETPARKS
10-22-2010, 01:09 PM
I think treadmills are known to not be very accurate, so I wouldn't calibrate my 310xt footpod to it if I wanted it to be a good backup for accurate distance on outdoor runs where gps is not good. I have calibrated mine outdoors, and just use it like that on the treadmill, and keep track of distances indoors based on the 310xt rather than what the treadmill shows. Mark
I too use an outdoor calibration for my treadmill indoors...seems to work just fine for me.