PDA

View Full Version : Garmin USB Drivers and Windows 7

PICCIRILLI
09-29-2009, 09:10 AM
Folks, just want to post a heads up. Windows 7 has built in drivers for recognizing Garmin Devices. DO NOT INSTALL THE OLD USB DRIVERS COMPATIBLE IN PREVIOUS VERSION OF WINDOWS. These older drivers will crash win 7, and will cause the 'blue screen of death'. Note, if you download the MB agent or a newer version of TC, this most likely will download the old driver in the background, and create driver conflicts. After doing a software update from Garmin, I highly suggest to check your programs in control panel and remove any Garmin drivers you see there. This will prevent mega problems on your pc.

ARMYSLOWRDR
09-30-2009, 11:56 PM
Maybe for you. But for me it worked ok and still works ok.

Folks, just want to post a heads up. Windows 7 has built in drivers for recognizing Garmin Devices. DO NOT INSTALL THE OLD USB DRIVERS COMPATIBLE IN PREVIOUS VERSION OF WINDOWS. These older drivers will crash win 7, and will cause the 'blue screen of death'. Note, if you download the MB agent or a newer version of TC, this most likely will download the old driver in the background, and create driver conflicts. After doing a software update from Garmin, I highly suggest to check your programs in control panel and remove any Garmin drivers you see there. This will prevent mega problems on your pc.

LINKIN_LOGS
10-18-2009, 09:19 AM
Thanks to the original poster. My system was occasionally crashing but stopped after removing the Garmin USB drivers from "My Programs". Much appreciated.

ANDRE77AB
10-18-2009, 10:22 AM
Any feedback with Win Seven 64 bit and Garmin driver?

I'll switch to 64bit this week :)

DAMONBRINSON
10-23-2009, 08:49 PM
I use a Forerunner 305. On a fresh/clean Win7 install, one of the first updates Windows queued up was an update called: "Garmin - Bus Controllers and Ports - Garmin USB GPS." Here are the details of the install in my update history --
Installation date: ‎10/‎23/‎2009 2:45 PM
Installation status: Successful
Update type: Recommended
Garmin Bus Controllers and Ports software update released in June, 2009
More information:
http://winqual.microsoft.com/support/?driverid=20290489
Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=hub

I didn't install ANY other Garmin software or Garmin drivers. (Though I did install SportTracks 2.1, which, I think (?) does not use the Garmin USB drivers...) The windows update, I assume, placed a directory called \Garmin\USB_Drivers on my OS drive that contains a driver. I don't know how to reinstall the update or determine whether it's the correct version. Does anyone know if there are version numbers of the correct driver available?

The actual driver file my system appears to be using is \Windows\system32\grmnusb.sys -- its version number is 2.3.0.0.

SportTracks has a Garmin DLL in its install directory, but nothing that looks like a .sys driver for Garmin.

I appreciate any help you all might be able to offer. Primarily, I'm interested in verifying version numbers and reinstalling the supposedly-good MS driver.

Thanks very much.

RHIPPLE
10-24-2009, 12:51 AM
I have the same problem. Windows 7, blue screen of death, garminusb.sys; driver intalled from windows update, version 2.3.0.0 from 6.3.2009.

Same update history as posted above. Anybody has a solution for that?

Thanks!

RHIPPLE
11-05-2009, 10:39 AM
Well, I soved the BSOD issue by changing the USB port (this is so stupid), but now I loose connectivity after hibernating. I have to restart to get it back running again.

RRUUNN
11-14-2009, 01:28 PM
Any feedback with Win Seven 64 bit and Garmin driver?

I'll switch to 64bit this week :)

I am running windows 7 64bit pro.

Garmin ant agent and garmin communicator plugin installed perfectly and I've had no problems at all.

GEOMONSTER
11-16-2009, 09:01 PM

I had installed old drivers today because my Parallel5 / Win 7 X64 / Mac Snow Leopard machine stopped seeing my Oregon - but nothing I did worked anyway, though I didn't get any BSD crashes.

I removed all occurences of the Garmin USB drivers through the Control Panel and plugged the USB cable into a different spot on the cpmputer and all is well now.

Don't know why I forgot that old Windows trick to force WIndows/USB into finding the device again...

But thanks for the warning!

Garmin could be a little more explicit in warning people not to install drivers in Win7, I think. I searched the support site high and low and found nothing but old drivers so I used those...

FREDJM31
12-30-2009, 12:03 PM
I've got two computers :
1) Sony VAIO with Win 7 32 bits
2) Asus MB based with Win 7 64 bits

On both, I installed TC.
1) Everything's fine
2) Worked one time, then I often have to deal with BSOD

I will try all the stuff you describe an post the result of my experimentations.

STVBUI
01-06-2010, 06:43 AM
My Windows 7 Pro 64 bit still get BSOD on occasions upon plug in the Garmin 305 to USB port.
Is there a way to contact Garmin software writers to have then write new drivers?

FREDJM31
01-07-2010, 10:20 PM
I've got two computers :
1) Sony VAIO with Win 7 32 bits
2) Asus MB based with Win 7 64 bits

On both, I installed TC.
1) Everything's fine
2) Worked one time, then I often have to deal with BSOD

I will try all the stuff you describe an post the result of my experimentations.

On my Win7 64 bits computer,
I removed any Garmin stuff :
- Training Center
- Garmin drivers (I asked Windows to remove the drivers)
I configured Windows Update in manual install mode (so I can check what is installed)
I re-installed Garmin Training center

It is OK sometimes, but I often have a blue screen when connecting my ForeRunner 305.

I did not notice that Windows Update installed any Garmin drivers.
As STVBUI says, how can we ask Garmin to look into the problem ?
I can send the following files :
- 010810-28407-01.dmp
- WER-33103-0.sysdata.xml
- MEMORY.DMP (by FTP)

I hope a moderator will read this post and help us. I will also try to contact the US support (the french support asked me to deal this by phone at hours I can't phone : I'm working).

FREDJM31
01-21-2010, 03:31 PM
Contacted the french support, told me that a new version should be realeased soon ...

FREDJM31
01-31-2010, 02:21 AM
A workaround :
- turn off the computer
- plug in the Gps Device
- turn on the computer

Seems to work everytime for me.

Not very convenient ...

MHSHINTAKU
02-03-2010, 11:09 PM
I had the same problem, I have a new computer,core i7 920 with windows 7 64 bit. I installed training center and everytime I connected my edge 305 I would get the blue screen. So I uninstalled TC, and then my computer wouldn't recognize the device. I tried everything suggested here with no luck. I finally called Garmin this morning and a guy named Luke helped me. I gave him access to my computer and I watched him find the drivers which were always there, but not being found. He got my computer to find them and all is well.

I'd recommend calling support. I had to wait maybe 25 minutes, but it was worth it.

MADHUSKER
05-02-2010, 12:47 AM
Garmin, good job paying attention to Windoze seven coming out and keeping the conflicting drivers right on the web page for us all to download. I guess since there isn't any help being offered on the download page I will have to call Dr. Luke too and have him take control of my computer to fix this. 7 has been out how long now?? shezzz

Mathias.Bjorklund
05-20-2010, 08:24 AM
It is OK sometimes, but I often have a blue screen when connecting my ForeRunner 305.

I can see that I almost always (perhaps always) get a BSOD when connecting the usb directly after turning the unit on.

If the unit is off when connecting the USB or has been on for quite some time it seems to be ok.

There is some timing issue in the driver, perhaps when searching for satellites or wanting to charge the unit?

I'm using the latest drivers available on their site as of 2010-05-20 (2.3.0) on win 7-x64 and forerunner 305.

I've tried to get pass the swedish support but they only say that there is no problem, "perhaps the unit is broken". Hope that some real developer scan this forum. I can send minidumps and so on if it is necessary.

MADHUSKER
05-22-2010, 03:37 PM
I have to shut down, connect, then reboot every time or the BSOD kills my machine. You would think that Garmin would know how to write a simple driver for simple input/output of a device. I would write my own over the weekend if they would share the hardware specs. Terrible support and really unfortunate they won't respond to the masses on this one. -5 :(

FREDJM31
05-24-2010, 01:58 PM
Stiiiiiiiilllllllll waiting for an update ... Is there any moderator that could read this forum and pass the problem to the development team (I already contacted the support) ? The problem is very simple to solve given that it is easy to reproduce.

For the moment, I am not planing to buy any other Garmin device, and telling my relatives not to buy anything from Garmin. Sorry ...

NIGMOSE
06-11-2010, 04:19 AM
Having constant issues with BSOD on my 64 bit Windows7 Ultimate, firstly I removed all folders with Garmin associated, including hidden folders, deleted the instances of Garmin in the registry, then re-installed Garmin Training Center following the on screen instructions.

Then I went to add or remove programs and removed the Garmin USB folder and the Folder under Windows Garmin USB driver, also the Garmin connect from the task bar. Since then, there have been few BSOD, and works reasonably fine for me. Just one other point, I had to let windows find a suitable driver from within device manager

However, I also found that if I added my history files, this will crash causing BSOD again. So my advice is once Training Center is working do not import history files.

I had left a post for Garmin with the problem, who when eventually replied, said that as it took so long for them to replay that they hoped I had solved the problem, if not to telephone them or resubmit the question. So I phoned their UK help desk. After a long time on hold, I eventually spoke to a representative who claimed there are no issues with BSOD when running 64 bit Windows 7, and that no other member of the Garmin team were aware of such a problem, thus they were unable to help except the remove and reinstall option which I have tried numerous times before. So don't hold out much hope for a robust fix.

Judd Emerson
06-12-2010, 08:17 PM

I'm unable to use my StreetPilot 2610 with Windows 7. It won't detect it. It says there's a malfunction USB device. I'm pretty much dead in the water. This sucks.

NIGMOSE
06-19-2010, 07:56 AM
Having constant issues with BSOD on my 64 bit Windows7 Ultimate, firstly I removed all folders with Garmin associated, including hidden folders, deleted the instances of Garmin in the registry, then re-installed Garmin Training Center following the on screen instructions.

Then I went to add or remove programs and removed the Garmin USB folder and the Folder under Windows Garmin USB driver, also the Garmin connect from the task bar. Since then, there have been few BSOD, and works reasonably fine for me. Just one other point, I had to let windows find a suitable driver from within device manager

However, I also found that if I added my history files, this will crash causing BSOD again. So my advice is once Training Center is working do not import history files.

I had left a post for Garmin with the problem, who when eventually replied, said that as it took so long for them to replay that they hoped I had solved the problem, if not to telephone them or resubmit the question. So I phoned their UK help desk. After a long time on hold, I eventually spoke to a representative who claimed there are no issues with BSOD when running 64 bit Windows 7, and that no other member of the Garmin team were aware of such a problem, thus they were unable to help except the remove and reinstall option which I have tried numerous times before. So don't hold out much hope for a robust fix.

Finally connecting my Garmin 305 to the rear computer USB ports and not to the front USB ports on the computer case, along with the above actions appears to have solved my BSOD issues

HENKVANDEBOVENKAMP
01-11-2011, 01:08 PM
Deinstalled drivers AND all Garmin programs. After that the same problem:

when I connect my Forerunner 305 Windows 7 (64bit\ recognises new harware. While installing the computer crashes. After restart no crash but the Forerunner is not recognised. In harware it is said that no driver is installed, but on the other hand the details tell that 2.3.0.0 is installed.

Hopefully Garmin will help us with a new driver!

GERRYCAN
01-11-2011, 01:16 PM
I have used all Garmin connection and upload/download features on my windows 7, 64-bit HP computer with no problems.

USB has worked with Edge 705 direct connect and with FR60 thru ANT Agent.

ZUPERB
01-16-2011, 04:28 AM
I'm running Win 7 64bit and could not make the ANT USB work either.

Closed the ANT Agent by right click and exit. When into programfiles and right clicked - properties - compatibility - winxp Sp3, then start program and everything has worked fine.

Well, not long until the next problem....

Steve Cracknell
01-22-2011, 06:11 AM
It doesn't seem as though it should work. But I removed the Garmin USB drivers in Control Panel, and I no longer get the message "device driver not found". Thanks for sharing this solution. I can now communicate with my Garmin Etrex Vista HCx (PC running Windows 7)

3SPORTZ
03-28-2011, 04:51 PM

Hi Picci, Having troubles down loading ant driver to my samsung windows 7 64bit lap top, u said that we shouldn't download the garmin drivers, windowns 7 will recognise the ant-stick? Also the pluggin??? or need to install the pluggin, thanks for your help.

I spoke to Garmin and they said they yet to have drivers compatible with windows 7 64bit...only 32 bit , but after reading the forum many people are downloading the drivers with no problem in their 64bit computers.
Dan

AZBWILCOX
03-31-2011, 12:05 PM
Hi Picci, Having troubles down loading ant driver to my samsung windows 7 64bit lap top, u said that we shouldn't download the garmin drivers, windowns 7 will recognise the ant-stick? Also the pluggin??? or need to install the pluggin, thanks for your help.

I spoke to Garmin and they said they yet to have drivers compatible with windows 7 64bit...only 32 bit , but after reading the forum many people are downloading the drivers with no problem in their 64bit computers.
Dan

I use Windows Vista 64 bit, haven't personally tried Windows 7 64 bit with GAA.

Bryan

skyrunr
08-22-2011, 09:40 PM
Hello,

My recently purchased (2011-07) f305 was just working fine for a few weeks after I received a new cradle from Garmin. The new cradle fit better and seems to resolve the BSOD issue, but it did happen once after it was replaced.

After TWO days of troubleshooting and messing around adding a new profile resolve the issue of the device showing up in the Training Center software. Too bad I lost two weeks of data (HR info), but I manually captured the basics before doing a hard reset.

I HOPE this post reminds me in the future and helps someone else out!

I love the f305 which I is a bargain right now, I may get another to back it up. I just wish this it had a MP3 player via bluetooth. LOL

SPEEDLEVER
11-26-2011, 08:28 PM
I didn't have any problem with my old E6600 and Asus P5B-E running DDR2 ram and Win 7/64. But my new build with an i5-2500k, Asus P8Z68-V Pro and 12 GB DDR3 ram running Win7/64 has frequent but irregular issues with BSODs upon connection of my Edge 305.

It doesn't seem to matter if I have the Garmin USB drivers installed or not. The only reliable way to d/l my data is to shut down and reboot with the Edge 305 connected (rear USB ports). That is a PITA work-around.

SPEEDLEVER
12-01-2011, 05:34 PM
Following one of the tips above, I reinstalled the USB drivers in XP.sp3 compatibility mode and thought I had licked the problem. Nope. I still get frequent and irregular BSODs (grmnusb.sys) when I connect the Edge 305 to the Sandy Bridge computer.

I talked to Garmin at length about it today and they are stumped too.

This is pretty bizarre. Often, I have to make multiple attempts to retrieve the data from the 305 before it will actually d/l. This is true for GTC, ST3, Garmin Connect, and Strava.

shane197
12-25-2011, 10:56 AM
I installed all the software for the ANT+ agent the usb device was not showing active. In the bottom left of the screen an icon appeared with the following text that windows was updating drivers for the device I then unplugged the USB without letting it complete which was an accident. Now it won't see my USB ANT+ stick. I have reinstalled the software numerous times any Help would be great.

Thanks,

Shane.

shane197
12-28-2011, 08:39 AM
Problem fixed have a read......https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?p=117608#post117608

SPEEDLEVER
01-07-2012, 11:59 AM
Still having issues with the Garmin USB driver causing BSODs on my Sandy Bridge computer. This week I've connected the Edge 305 3 times. The first two time everything worked fine... no BSODs. But the last time I connected it, instant BSOD.

This is rather frustrating.

I now just reinstall the Garmin USB driver after the PC boots back up (while the Edge 305 remains connected). It works as normal at that point. But I tend to hold my breath every time I connect the Edge 305 as I never know when it will reboot.

AZBWILCOX
01-09-2012, 10:32 AM
Still having issues with the Garmin USB driver causing BSODs on my Sandy Bridge computer. This week I've connected the Edge 305 3 times. The first two time everything worked fine... no BSODs. But the last time I connected it, instant BSOD.

This is rather frustrating.

I now just reinstall the Garmin USB driver after the PC boots back up (while the Edge 305 remains connected). It works as normal at that point. But I tend to hold my breath every time I connect the Edge 305 as I never know when it will reboot.

You should probably post to the Edge 305 forum. The Garmin ANT Agent does not use the Garmin USB driver.

Bryan

ADAMSTUART07
04-17-2012, 05:20 AM
O yeah my friends windows 7 Windows 7 has built in drivers for recognizing Garmin Devices which make it more effective for the use for the use of external drive because Garmin provide wonderful protection against the external worms ...
If you install any other old version software driver then due to the windows operating system natures it will over write and the old driver may do not show the effective working compatibility with windows 7 (http://windows7.igennie.net/windows7-compatibility.html) which may become a reason for the blue screen problem and many other problem so do not install any other external driver for the USB use into the windows 7....

DOCANIRUDH
04-17-2012, 02:36 PM
I bought a new Garmin nuvi 2565LM (nuvi2460 in USA)- when I tried to connect it to my PC running Windows 7 the device was not recognised by IE 9 / Google Chrome. I installed Garmin Communicator Plugin and also tried with and without the USB drivers. I modified the IE9 security settings as advised on the FAQ.

I have purchased the US Maps online (download) but was unable to install as the device is not recognised.

After 2 days I think I have solved the problem - when the device is connected to the USB port it asks for the mode - Garmin Mode or Mass storage device.

For updates and Garmin Communcator Plugin to recognise the device - the device needs to be connected in Mass Storage device mode.

Also, the \GARMIN folder needs to be copied to the SD Card for it to be recognised by the Garmin Communicator Plugin for IE9 or Google Chrome - jus connect in Mass Storage Device and all works fine.

Just thought I should post this as there is no mention of all this in the manuals and it would save someone a lot of heartburn and frustration.

AMRMM1
11-15-2012, 07:06 AM
i need connect the my dvise garmin woith yhe computer

RDMCNH69
12-06-2012, 09:51 PM

I spent hours and my computer would not recognize the device. Next day I was on the phone with Garmin support and after a half hour thought we had it working (but to no avail). Then I was redirected to a software tech guy at Garmin and in a minutes time he solved the problem.

Issue: Computer (USB) would not recognize device (Garmin etrex 20 GPS)
Solution: Make sure you are not using a 3.0 usb port (usually is blue inside). My computer had several usb ports on the front and it turned out they were all 3.0 usb ports. While I never had an issue using these with my camera, phone, external hard drive, etc. the Garmin etrex 20 would not work on it. When I connected it to a regular 2.0 usb (usually white on the inside) which was located on the back of my computer, the Garmin was instantly recognized and I haven't had any issues since.