PDA

View Full Version : Custom workout timing errors

ACTION156
09-28-2009, 06:58 PM
I have uploaded a session to my 310xt that consists of 12 reps based on time with rests in between. My training partner uploaded exactly the same session to his 305. There are two differences - one minor, on major.

Minor - the 310xt beeps 6 times at the end of a rest phase but only 5 times to end a effort stage. The 305 beeps 5 times for everything. Annoying - and may be related to the Major issue..

Major - the 310 adds about a second to every rep... so by the time we get to the end of the 12 rep/12 rest the 305 is about 10 seconds ahead of the 310. That makes it virtually impossible to do sessions with a 305 and a 310 in the group.

I have timed the 310 with a stop watch and sure enough, it is losing time... so, is it related to the extra beep? I have emailed Garmin support but as expected, have heard nothing...

MELZORRO
09-29-2009, 07:55 AM
I've noticed the same error:

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=818

It only occurs when I send a training with GTC.

As a workaround I only create workouts on the watch itself

MVLAING
09-29-2009, 12:14 PM
I noticed this with the 310 as well. My spouse now has my old 305, and the watches never stayed in sync when we were doing a cycling interval workout (5 min x, 5 min y, 5 min rest, etc.) this weekend that I had created with Training Center. So this is added to Pace Zones and Heart Rate Zones as TC options that don't work with the 310. Great...

ALAALA
10-07-2009, 04:12 AM
Today I did my first GTC created workout (with the 310), and I got the adding error.

The 310 adds a magical, mystical .50 seconds to each and every leg
of the workout. It's clear as a day when one looks at the history for the
workout.

Has to be fixed!

JAWAZ
10-07-2009, 06:37 AM
Note I don't use Garmin Training centre - I use the Training, Intervals function directly on the watch only - for example (10 min run, 1 min rest) * 4 and have noticed that by the 2nd interval, I'm already out of sync with my other stopwatch - and by the 4th interval, my 310xt is ending the workout 1 min earlier than the stopwatch. I first noticed this as I had a music intervals plan that I listened to on my ipod as I ran and I noticed the music intervals became out of sync with my 310xt - thought it was the music player but it isn't - it's the 310xt.

MELZORRO
10-07-2009, 08:52 AM
Note I don't use Garmin Training centre - I use the Training, Intervals function directly on the watch only - for example (10 min run, 1 min rest) * 4 and have noticed that by the 2nd interval, I'm already out of sync with my other stopwatch - and by the 4th interval, my 310xt is ending the workout 1 min earlier than the stopwatch. I first noticed this as I had a music intervals plan that I listened to on my ipod as I ran and I noticed the music intervals became out of sync with my 310xt - thought it was the music player but it isn't - it's the 310xt.

That's strange :confused:. I've frequently used the workout function directly on the watch.
Altough I've used this as a workaround for the workout timing errors, I never had a mismatch when using the workouts on the watch directly.

At first I thought it was something with alerts, so I played with vibrate on/off, alerts on/off. But I've never found a solution.

You sound absulotely sure that it's not only a GTC problem. So there must be something else in the watch that's creating this timing error. Maybe something with user/watch settings, like statue/metric.

If you look in the history on the watch or in GTC (the excercise itself), do you see the extra half second?

EKUTTER
10-07-2009, 10:45 AM
Do any of you have auto-pause turned on when you see these timing errors? Even if you don't actually lose GPS signal, maybe there is a bug where the unit is temporarily going into a paused mode. Is the total time off and out of sync with other watches or does the interval get out of sync with the total time? If you have 10 x 1minute intervals, do they happen on the 1 minute according to the total time or do they happen at 1:01, 2:02, 3:03, etc?

MELZORRO
10-07-2009, 11:46 AM
No, Auto Pause is off. No auto anything.

Here's what I did:

In GTC created a testworkout:
6 x ( 10 sec run + 10 sec rest) = 2 min. workout

Send workout to the watch. Do workout.
After finish of workout: total workout time: 2:06

Reset watch.
Retrieve data from history: all intervals 10.5 seconds.

GTC workout file looks okay:

<Repetitions>6</Repetitions>
<Child xsi:type="Step_t">
<StepId>1</StepId>
<Duration xsi:type="Time_t">
<Seconds>10</Seconds>
</Duration>
<Intensity>Active</Intensity>
<Target xsi:type="None_t"/>
</Child>
<Child xsi:type="Step_t">
<StepId>2</StepId>
<Duration xsi:type="Time_t">
<Seconds>10</Seconds>
</Duration>
<Intensity>Resting</Intensity>
<Target xsi:type="None_t"/>
</Child>

Can anybody give it a try with my workout file? (see attachment)
I'm clueless :confused:

ALAALA
10-07-2009, 12:08 PM
Do any of you have auto-pause turned on when you see these timing errors? Even if you don't actually lose GPS signal, maybe there is a bug where the unit is temporarily going into a paused mode. Is the total time off and out of sync with other watches or does the interval get out of sync with the total time? If you have 10 x 1minute intervals, do they happen on the 1 minute according to the total time or do they happen at 1:01, 2:02, 3:03, etc?

No autopause (I've never used it on any of my Forerunners).

Today's workout was totally time based with a somewhat elaborate pattern.
Time periods ranged from 10 seconds to 4 minutes. All totally 26 different
legs had an additional (exact) half second added. So 13 seconds added
to the nominal 50:00 the workout was designed to last.

Oh, it was on a treadmill, so footpod used (Mk III).

Nothing extraordinary with the other data.

KAFOLSKE
10-07-2009, 12:52 PM
No, Auto Pause is off. No auto anything.

Here's what I did:

In GTC created a testworkout:
6 x ( 10 sec run + 10 sec rest) = 2 min. workout

Send workout to the watch. Do workout.
After finish of workout: total workout time: 2:06

Reset watch.
Retrieve data from history: all intervals 10.5 seconds.

GTC workout file looks okay:

Can anybody give it a try with my workout file? (see attachment)
I'm clueless :confused:

I loaded and executed this workout. I also see a total workout time of 2:06.

Each lap in the history tcx file is 10.5 seconds:
<Lap StartTime="2009-10-07T18:41:10Z">
<TotalTimeSeconds>10.5000000</TotalTimeSeconds>
<DistanceMeters>0.0000000</DistanceMeters>
<Calories>0</Calories>
<Intensity>Active</Intensity>
<TriggerMethod>Time</TriggerMethod>

So, it appears the watch is adding 0.5 seconds to each lap, just like others have mentioned.

Has someone reported this to Garmin Support?

MELZORRO
10-08-2009, 01:01 AM
Yes, I've reported this to Garmin Support in Belgium (who also supports the Netherlands). However, I've recieved no reaction at all (not even a confirmation).

I feel strengethed by the support in this forum, so I'll give it another try to report this issue.

HBRAUCH
10-08-2009, 06:37 AM
For what it's worth, I've checked my recent custom workouts as well and also see an extra 0.5 seconds on every interval on both the Garmin 310XT History display and it GTC when the file is uploaded. So it seems this is a universal issue.

MELZORRO
10-11-2009, 12:37 PM
so I'll give it another try to report this issue.

I've had e-mail contact with Garmin Support.
It's a problem with the end of excercise alarm. They've requested a software solution for this.

MAXPROFWELL
10-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Could this error of .5 seconds be corrected with a simple Firmware update, or is it possible it is hardwired into a chip? Just curious.

MAXPROFWELL
10-11-2009, 02:06 PM
OOPs, I missed Melzorro's post that he heard from support about a software update. Sorry for wasting bandwidth.

ALAALA
11-19-2009, 12:39 PM
So, when will this annoying bug be trampled to severe death?
(Both timing and distance)

I.e. when will the next firmware update decend upon us?

SOHOVICH
12-23-2009, 02:52 PM
Anyone know if 2.7 fixed this? I just upgraded today.

MELZORRO
12-23-2009, 03:05 PM
Yes, the timing issue with the extra half of a second is solved.

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
12-23-2009, 03:26 PM
Yes, the timing issue with the extra half of a second is solved.

Confirm that. Did a workout Tuesday and all seemed well

ACTION156
12-24-2009, 02:45 AM
It is great to see Garmin respond with the patch. I thought I was going mad! I expect a few of the 305 guys will now upgrade (well, the fact that the timing is now corrected and the beeps on the 305 have faded to nothing!). :D