PDA

View Full Version : Use my FT for spinning?

DennisHRMadsen
11-08-2011, 12:42 PM
This summer I have been using my FR 310XT for outdoor running. Now the winter is coming and I'm starting to run on a treadmill and therefore I've bought a Foot Pod.

1) I'm wondering if I can use my 310XT for spinning to?
2) How should I setup my device for this? Should I disable GPS and Foot Pod and just capture the heart rate?
3) Which activity type should I use on Garmin Connect for a spinning activity? If no distance are available I think that Garmin Connect will use the heart rate to calculate the calories -- therefore it is important to choose the right activity type. Is "Cycling->Indoor Cycling" the correct one for spinning?

DW152
11-08-2011, 03:47 PM
Yes, you can use it for indoor cycling. If you are riding your bike on an indoor trainer, get a GSC-10 (or other Ant+ sensor) and mount it on your bike. Definitely disable GPS. Don't wear your footpod, since that is made for running and will give meaningless results. If you are using a spin cycle in a gym, you're pretty much out of luck for speed and distance.

NORD0296
11-10-2011, 09:18 AM
3) Which activity type should I use on Garmin Connect for a spinning activity? If no distance are available I think that Garmin Connect will use the heart rate to calculate the calories -- therefore it is important to choose the right activity type. Is "Cycling->Indoor Cycling" the correct one for spinning?

This is really a personal preference for reports or sorting perhaps. That being said, I usually use Cycling->Indoor Cycling for both Spin classes (HR only) and for Indoor Training on my bike (speed + cadence + power + HR).