PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 does not find USB driver for Garmin

Hoorneboeg
10-08-2011, 01:51 PM
My Oregon 450T won't connect to my Windows 7 laptop anymore. Windows does not recognise the device. I have installed latest USB driver. And also uninstalled it. Does not make any difference.
Big problem, because I can't update my device anymore.
What the hell is Garmin doing ?!!
:mad:

IESTEFAN
10-10-2011, 06:11 AM
I have Windows 7 64 bits. I have download the drivers for W7 from the site (USB Drivers software version 2.3).

But once I connect my garming the USB driver is not recogniced, therefore I could not update my garmin.

Thanks in advance.

ICDGIRL
10-12-2011, 08:12 PM
Since my last Windows 7 (v6.1) update was installed a few days ago my laptop will not recognize the driver for my gpsmap 60csx. It worked before. I have installed the newest driver and communicator plugin. Program Compatibility Assistant states that the driver was not installed correctly, but when I chose to install using the recommended settings it still doesn't work.
My colorado 300 works fine with my laptop using Windows 7. My gpsmap 60csx works fine on my desktop which is running Windows XP.

ekeagle
05-04-2012, 01:23 AM
Seen this issue in a similar post here so posting same possible solution here as well:

Try going through a USB hub. This solved many issues with many USB devices on several computers for me. USB Hubs are very cheap and you may already have one, check your monitor or keyboard if it has USB Ports on it and go through them

Good luck!

EKEagle

TOMMY861
06-11-2012, 08:05 PM
Hi, I have a brand new Nuvi 1350. I took it out of the box and plugged it into my Win 7 64 bit PC and it comes up as "Unknown Device". I Installed the Garmin USB driver, and it still comes up as Unknown Device. Then I deleted "Unknown Device" from my Devices and it still will not recognize or pull the USB drivers no matter what I do.

When plugged in a little PC icon shows up on the screen, it connects to the PC (I hear the USB ding) then it does the whole "Unknown Device" thing, and then it disconnects (I hear the disconnect ding), and continues to boot or go back to the main screen and the computer no longer knows its there.

Sound like a hardware problem? Do I have a defective Nuvi? Tried multiple USB ports, tried disconnecting all USB devices except the Garmin, etc. It works fine on my Windows XP machine in my office, but not my Win 7 home PC.

PETA-X
06-15-2012, 04:08 AM
I have a brad new 2495LMT and the device can't be found on windows 7 nor windows XP. It refuses to function as a mass storage device, as it is supposed to when connected by USB cable. It worked for a week and subsequently it does not

This is wasting far to much time for what should be a simple process. I have all the drivers, updaters etc installed.

I have seen that many people are having this problem. I am less than impressed with this gadget and also the support provided.

SEILOGRAMP
06-15-2012, 04:16 AM
I have seen that many people are having this problem. I am less than impressed with this gadget and also the support provided.

Did you call Garmin support?

PETA-X
06-15-2012, 04:35 AM
hello, thank you for your interest. I am in Spain, I can call support anywhere in the world. I did not see a support number. Where do I find it? :)

PETA-X
06-15-2012, 05:08 AM
hi I found the support number, they were very helpful. It has not fixed the problem. But they are nice people who did their best.

PETA-X
06-15-2012, 05:46 AM
I dislike it when people post a problem and never post the solution. The USB cable as supplied with the Garmin was faulty. It charged but did not send data. I have used another cable, and bingo, works fine. Thank you Garmin Support UK :)

Also worth noting one can force the Garmin to behave as a mass storage device by going into map, pressing the speedo, then in the trip pressing the speed and holding... bingo you get into the admin screen! Select Mass Storage device if it is not already selected.

SEILOGRAMP
06-15-2012, 12:00 PM
I dislike it when people post a problem and never post the solution. The USB cable as supplied with the Garmin was faulty. It charged but did not send data. I have used another cable, and bingo, works fine. Thank you Garmin Support UK :)

Thanks for the update. Glad it's working for you. :)

NDANG268
02-23-2013, 12:18 AM
I have downloaded the Garmin USB Driver ver 2.3.1 and Garmin Communicator Plugin (ver 4.0.4)
After installation and reboot my computer, my Nuvi 1495 still couldn't detected by MapSource 6.16.3
My computer is Win7 (64bit)

If i use http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator/test/, the nuvi is detected (using browser IE 8.0 and Chrome Version 24.0.1312.57 m).
But if i use Firefox 19.0, the plugin is hanging.
In this case, i believe the USB cable is good and something incompatible in Firefox 19.0
Back to Mapsource, as in IE and Chrome could talk to my Nuvi, but the MapSource STILL couldn't read the Nuvi.
My Nuvi information:
Model: Nuvi 2495
Hardware Version: Nuvi 24x5 C2p2 i V5 2GB 12MB S TE
Software version: 7.70
Audio version: 2.40
Text Version: 3.3.0
GPS Firmware: 4.14.10
Bluetooth Firmware: 5.03.A15

SUSSAMB
02-23-2013, 01:44 AM
I've answered this in your other post.

NDANG268
02-23-2013, 10:18 AM
I've answered this in your other post.

@ SUSSAMB: many thanks :)
Now i am following up in my another post (https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?31545-Mapsource-does-not-connect-to-GPS-anymore/page3)

11-07-2013, 01:00 AM
My Oregon 450T won't connect to my Windows 7 laptop anymore. Windows does not recognise the device. I have installed latest USB driver. And also uninstalled it. Does not make any difference.
Big problem, because I can't update my device anymore.
What the hell is Garmin doing ?!!
:mad:

I had the same problem: Oregon 450 often not detected. Had this problem with my previous old laptop (Vista). When I got a new one (Windows 7) the Garmin was allways detected! At least for a few months, then the problem reappeared: only after several attempts, the Garmin is recognized as USB storage device. So I suspected the drivers on my laptop are getting cluttered after a while.

My solution: use DriveCleanup.zip (free)
It cleans up the mess and when I connect the Garmin after a reboot it reinstalls the device and from then on my GPS is smoothly detected. At least for a few weeks/months, then misery recommences )-: Running DriveCleanup again fixes it again for a while...

Detailed instructions for using DriveCleanup are on
http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-drive-or-flash-problems-how-to-cleanup-and-remove-old-usb-storage-drivers.145884/

lkrnr
02-03-2014, 03:32 PM
I have Windows 7 64 bits. I have download the drivers for W7 from the site (USB Drivers software version 2.3).

But once I connect my garming the USB driver is not recogniced, therefore I could not update my garmin.

Thanks in advance.

Click the windows icon, Right click Computer, Click Manage then click Device Manager. Try to find the "unknown device" in the list. You may need to plug the usb in and then take it out to see which one is the unknown device. It may show as unknown or simply Device. If you click on it it gives you an option to change the path from the default program path to the location that you downloaded your USB Driver. Once you do this you may also need to click on USB instead of LPT1. Windows 7 assumes that all device software is in a default location and this is why it does not recognize the device.
This worked for me. I had to download Garmin connect and now I'm in business. Finally!!

elkski
03-07-2014, 02:29 PM
After 3 days of re-installing Mapsource on a laptop with windows 7 OS, testing my GPSmap 60csx to download maps from Mapsource (all attempts were unsuccessful), I determined that the laptop was not recognizing the device. I finally called Garmin help, and was wonderfully helped.
Absolutely great help. The phone line Help guy directed me, and did a screen share, to trouble shoot what was going on. The device doesn't like the USB "always on" port. So now all I have to remember is to plug the 60Csx into a specific port and all is good.
Thank you Garmin help.

05-05-2014, 07:34 PM
Issue: USB storage device is not working on my computer, be it a USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 it just doesn't install the driver for storage device and my USB mouse and webcam does work.Everytime I plug in a USB flash drive of USB 3.0 External hard drive it beeps and gives error message that the device driver could not be installed.
Here is the steps I took to troubleshoot this issue and it got fixed.

1.Open registry by going to Run-> Type Regedit.
and Navigate to the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}
Highlight this key ({36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000} ), on the right pane, and then check if “Upperfilters” and “Lowerfilters” value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.
2. Now go to "C:\windows\inf" folder and check if these three files USBSTOR.SYS, usbstor.inf and usbstor.pnf are available.If it was renamed change the name as I wrote them or if they are not available copy them from "C:\windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\usbstor.inf_x86_neutral_83027f5d5b2468d3"
And then go to "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Drivers" and make sure you have USBSTOR.SYS and usbd.sys available if not copy them again from
"C:\windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\usbstor.inf_x86_neutral_83027f5d5b2468d3"
and paste it to Drivers folder.
3. Open Registry editor by going to Run-> typing Regedit and Navigate to the following key:
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR" and ensure that the Start value is 3. and restart the system.
It will work..If it does not work go to this post http://bookingtohosting.blogspot.in/2014/05/usb-30-external-storage-device-driver.html for a detailed information of all the troubleshooting.

Vincent_van_Beelen
05-13-2014, 03:57 PM
Also faulty cable.