PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take you to pick up satellites

CAMERONKJACK
09-25-2009, 05:17 AM
I have had my new Garmin for about a week at it takes me about 10 min to pick up satellites when i am outside (Central London). Is this normal?

Wondering if there is anything i can do to speed this up?

Cameron

SEILOGRAMP
09-25-2009, 05:50 AM
Are you in an area with tall buildings that are obstructing a clear view of the sky? GPS needs a clear view of the sky to operate at its potential. What type of accuracy readings are you getting? I typically get numbers less than 20' accuracy as long as there is no tree cover or tall buildings around.

Some other things to try:

Clear the satellite cache. Hold the down arrow while powering on. This will force the unit to forget its SAT data, so it will acquire new, and hopefully better, data.

Verify that you have the latest firmware update for the 310xt (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/downloadsAgree.jsp?product=010-00741-00&cID=142&pID=27335).

When acquiring satellites, make sure the unit is perfectly still. Preferably not on your wrist, with a clear view of the sky.

CAMERONKJACK
09-25-2009, 06:20 AM
Thanks SEILOGRAMP that is really helpful. So roughly how long does it normally take yours to find the sat's? I will defiantly clear my cache tonight and see if that helps. Cos i am sure the conditions i gave it when i first started it were not optimal in any way.

The buildings around me are not that tall so it should not be a problem from location point of view.

BILLCOFF
09-26-2009, 07:25 AM
I power on my 310XT and sit it on the dining room table, which has an obstructed view of the southern sky through some small windows. I then go to the kitchen and wet my chest before putting the heart rate monitor on. When I come back, the 310XT has locked on and is ready to go. So, I would say it generally takes 15 to 60 seconds to lock on satellites.

SEILOGRAMP
09-26-2009, 07:39 PM
With the 310xt it is very quick to acquire satellites. Probably around 5 to 10 seconds if it is still. A little longer if moving.

From SiRF Technology (http://www.sirf.com/products/location2_services.html):

SiRFInstantFixII
Improved Start-up Times Without Network Connectivity

SiRFInstantFixII™ satellite prediction technology greatly improves personal navigation device start-up times without the need for network connectivity. With one observation of each satellite, SiRFInstantFixII accurately predicts satellite positions for up to three days—removing the need to download satellite ephemeris data at subsequent start-ups—resulting in full navigation in as little as five seconds. Supported on most SiRFstarIII™ chips and on SiRFatlasIII™ and SiRFtitan™ SoCs.

ACTION156
09-28-2009, 07:00 PM
My 310 takes about 10 seconds while it is sitting on the window sill, but up to a minute if I put it on and wander down the road. Definitely keeping it still is important.