PDA

View Full Version : 310xt won't turn on . . . help

MBRANTON
07-28-2009, 05:30 AM
My 310xt was fine but wouldn't upload data, so I did a soft reset (mode & lap buttons), still didn't work. I took it outside (synched with gps) and powered off. Now it won't turn on, it won't even charge. How do I hard reset this guy? I have a race tonight.

Thanks in advance

DW152
07-28-2009, 05:56 AM
For a complete reset, press mode and power button at the same time.

MBRANTON
07-28-2009, 06:07 AM
Thanks. Still no response from the 310xt.

SEILOGRAMP
07-28-2009, 06:57 AM
Just to be sure, use the power charger that plugs into a power outlet, not your computer's USB port. If you're not even getting anything when it is plugged into the charger (should at least say charging), then your best bet will be to call Garmin phone support. They might be able to get your device working before your race.

MBRANTON
07-28-2009, 07:09 AM
Thanks. I've tried USB, regular power, a different charger (my wife has a 405). The 310xt is lifeless even when plugged in. Every button combo I can think of to reset (even the one that used to work on my 205). Now I am just waiting until garmin customer service opens or until the store I bought it from and can hopefully exchange it first.

SEILOGRAMP
07-28-2009, 07:14 AM
Try doing the hard reset while you're waiting. You will lose all data from the device and it will be restored to day 1, factory defaults (hopefully). Hold down mode while turning on power, then let both buttons go. You will get a prompt asking you if you want to erase all user data.

SEILOGRAMP
07-28-2009, 07:19 AM
If the hard reset doesn't work, try the "unprompted" hard reset. I have not tried this on my 310, but it works on the 305.

Kudos to kansaiben for this fix:

Hold down enter and mode while quickly pressing the power button (do not hold the power button). Continue to hold enter and mode for a few more seconds. You should see the screen barely flicker on when you push power, and then nothing else should happen until you release the enter and mode buttons. After you release the buttons, your unit should power up and go through the initialization screens. Since this can be a difficult sequence to do, it is best to keep trying a few times if it doesn't work at first.

VANDENEYNDEN
08-14-2009, 11:11 AM
Brand new 310xt, three weeks old.
Everything worked fine until today when the 310xt would not turn on anymore.
Nothing to do, even the powering does not show anything. The beast it out of service.
I sent it back to Garmin France ...

CAIOHB
08-27-2009, 04:12 AM
I had the same problem and hard reset worked for me thanks.

MIDKNIGHTR
09-22-2009, 09:43 PM
I had the same problem and hard reset worked for me thanks.

I had/have the same problem but the hard reset doesn't work.

This does not portend well for the device.

It has only been like a week and a half using the device. :confused: :mad:

MIDKNIGHTR
09-24-2009, 02:15 AM
I had/have the same problem but the hard reset doesn't work.

This does not portend well for the device.

It has only been like a week and a half using the device. :confused: :mad:

I am NOT HAPPY with the customer service on this matter. On top of all the run around and unanswered emails and over the phone promised help which was never sent - on top of that they now want me to send them the watch and everything from the box, with insurance (though since it's broken it seems like a scam to buy insurance, ...hey what do ya know it's broken, give me money?), anyway they want me to send that at my own cost!

philipshambrook
09-24-2009, 03:21 PM
I am NOT HAPPY with the customer service on this matter. On top of all the run around and unanswered emails and over the phone promised help which was never sent - on top of that they now want me to send them the watch and everything from the box, with insurance (though since it's broken it seems like a scam to buy insurance, ...hey what do ya know it's broken, give me money?), anyway they want me to send that at my own cost!

Why don't you deal with the retailer? It's the first port of call fo us over here. Since they want my future business and recommendations, they are usually very responsive and helpful.

MIDKNIGHTR
10-07-2009, 03:05 PM
Why don't you deal with the retailer? It's the first port of call fo us over here. Since they want my future business and recommendations, they are usually very responsive and helpful.

Definitely should have and will do in the future! Geesh I finally got a replacement. If this one spontaneously blanks and won't turn on, I swear my head might explode!

LABUCKLAND
10-23-2010, 09:50 AM
Went to use my 310 today. It has been plugged in and all I get is a blank screen. Moved around the house and tried different outlets. Nothing.

Tried the hard reboot. Nothing.

I can't stomach the thought of dealing with their terrible customer service.

/cry

atj777
10-26-2010, 12:34 AM
I've had my 310XT for 2 months and for most of that time it has been working fine (other than changing the units from metric to statute without prompting).

I turned it on yesterday for a run and it was fine. I did my full warm up, including a light jog. I then went into Training->Courses and chose a course to do. As soon as I hit Enter on "Do Course" it powered off. Every time I powered it on, the Garmin scree would show briefly and then it would turn off. I connected it to the charger and it flashed on for a second and off again (it had 96% charge).

My only solution was a hard reset - which mean reentering all my data and loading all my workouts and courses again.

Firmware is 2.90.

KFRANKE1
10-27-2010, 10:59 PM
Mine died today. It wont turn on or charge and none of the resets work. I have the NYC Marathon a week form Sunday. This really sucks!

MADEUPNAME
11-30-2010, 09:36 AM
Used my 310XT as usual for a run last night and after downloading the workout plugged it back in to the wall charger. Went to use it for a swim today and noticed that the screen was blank even though it was still plugged into the charging clip.

It is completely lifeless - tried different charging clips, in the mains and USB port and absolutely nada..... no combination of key depressions will bring this sucker back to life.

I'm usually a pretty loyal customer - but this is wearing a little thin now - currently waiting for my 5th 310 to be sent to me (4th replacement)......If Polar had a unit that was genuinely useable in Triathlon races without needing to memorise a few dozen key depressions then I'd take a look..... but they don't.

philipshambrook
11-30-2010, 01:16 PM
There's the Times Global Trainer (http://www.timexironman.com/Products/Global_Trainer_GPS.htm)now.

MADEUPNAME
11-30-2010, 02:26 PM
Yes I looked at it a while back thank you Philip - It did really badly compared to the 310 in DCrainmakers's GPS tests :(

philipshambrook
11-30-2010, 03:25 PM
Agreed. But it does look promising. Sad to hear of your problems as, touch wood, the minor problems we've had have been software related.

MADEUPNAME
11-30-2010, 05:59 PM
Agreed. But it does look promising. Sad to hear of your problems as, touch wood, the minor problems we've had have been software related.

Except for the one I dropped and broke (!), though that is excluded from my "returns" count.

I do hope that this issue is not related to FW3.0

ALL my previous 310's have once or two or more times not turned on, but until now simply plugging in the power charger has cured it.

Maybe Uncle Steve can cram the capabilities of the 310 into the footprint of the touchscreen nano and save us all :D

philipshambrook
11-30-2010, 06:54 PM
Except for the one I dropped and broke (!), though that is excluded from my "returns" count.

I do hope that this issue is not related to FW3.0 2 running on 3.0 here used swimming, biking and running with no problems. Still a possibility of course

ALL my previous 310's have once or two or more times not turned on, but until now simply plugging in the power charger has cured it. Had a lock up way back, but put that down to fumbling the buttons when trying to get a wetsuit off. More care and no repeat since

Maybe Uncle Steve can cram the capabilities of the 310 into the footprint of the touchscreen nano and save us all :D Wouldn't that be great! iPhone with GPS and other bits and pieces is just a little on the too big side

A smaller, more compact device would be nice, but I wonder what would the compromises be?

MADEUPNAME
12-01-2010, 01:46 AM
I agree that the iPhone size is just a tad too big and in reality is completely impractical for swimming!

Yes there would certainly be compromises though Mac user functionality would be well catered for!

philipshambrook
12-01-2010, 12:25 PM
But this looks interesting...http://www.wahoofitness.com/

MADEUPNAME
12-01-2010, 05:49 PM
Yes it does Philip.... DCRainmaker also seems to rate where it could go with the iPhone due to the eco system that is building up and around Wahoofitness.

For me it would be a "nice to have" to have workout data "beautifully presented" when on the Turbo Trainer - but would I really mount my iPhone on the bars and charge around on the country lanes in the UK - er no, one trip and the iPhone is trashed!

Looking forward though to Garmin's pedal spindle based power meter :D

DW152
12-01-2010, 07:28 PM
Used my 310XT as usual for a run last night and after downloading the workout plugged it back in to the wall charger. Went to use it for a swim today and noticed that the screen was blank even though it was still plugged into the charging clip.

It is completely lifeless - tried different charging clips, in the mains and USB port and absolutely nada..... no combination of key depressions will bring this sucker back to life.

I'm usually a pretty loyal customer - but this is wearing a little thin now - currently waiting for my 5th 310 to be sent to me (4th replacement)

I'm in a similar situation now. I just sent my 2nd 310xt back to Olathe tonight. This 310 replaced my first 310, which was also replaced under warranty.

My problem this time started about a month ago when I finished a run and noticed my screen was now slowly scrolling vertically with some horizontal shift. I managed to save my run, but then the screen got filled with garbage characters, then went blank. A full reset restored it, or so I thought, until tonight when I wanted to get in a few miles on running. I turned on the 310 and got the funny scrolling situation again. :( Then the garbage screen, then nothing on the screen, even though the watch was beeping in response to button pushes. I reset it again, but still had the diagonally scrolling screen that would come and go, and I noticed some faint garbage in the screen (I think).

So I called Garmin and started the RMA procedure. I have to pay shipping, wait a couple of weeks (last one took a while), and then I'll get a refurbished unit, which will be my 3rd 310xt.

I never have trusted my 310, which is why I carry my trusty old 305 with me as a backup. I'll run with that tomorrow.

MADEUPNAME
12-02-2010, 07:51 AM
I never have trusted my 310, which is why I carry my trusty old 305 with me as a backup. I'll run with that tomorrow.

If I only biked and ran, I too would consider settling for a 305, however swimming would kill it!!!!

ruskie-it
12-02-2010, 01:48 PM
If I only biked and ran, I too would consider settling for a 305, however swimming would kill it!!!!
Actually, I only run. However, running a year with wet weather killed it as well. Not to the point it does not turn on. It does, but no sound, and this is not something a firmware update can cure... :(

DW152
12-02-2010, 06:33 PM

I run, bike, and swim, but I don't wear a watch when I swim.

The only real timer I need when I swim is the pace clock.

lemopie
03-06-2011, 01:41 PM
My 310XT just similarly broke down. I guess I have to send it in now :(

JIMODONOVAN
03-24-2011, 06:34 AM
I have a 310CX from Amazon.co.uk for 10 months and love it - or did until last night. It is showing the same symptoms as mentioned in this thread. About 2 weeks ago, I updated the Firmware (can't remember which version but the latest) and used the devices after resetting all my settings. Then I noticed that it wasn't charging and the screen was blank. Reset it and entered all my setting again. Used it about 3 times since and now it is dead again. No combination of buttons will power it up. But when I hit the power button, I notice a slight half second change in screen colour - you would hardly notice it.
I will contact Garmin and start the RMA process.
Jim

JIMODONOVAN
03-26-2011, 08:19 AM
WHen I press up arrow plus power, it says "Software Loader". Otherwise nothing. Any suggestions anyone?

ANTIL
03-27-2011, 01:41 AM
I had been through a swap and replace cycle with my 305 until warranty expired. After that Garmin refused to fix the device and talked me into buying a 310XT. You guessed it, that unit did not last 6 months and I returned it insisting on a refund.

Reading through the number of problems people have it seems amazing to me that some units even last longer than 12 months. The Garmin business model seems the price in the replacements until warranty is over. During warranty there is no question asked. Send it in and we send a reworked unit back. If you guys are happy paying $40 a months "rent" for a unit than buy Garmin. Otherwise stay clear!

Chuckcoffee
03-27-2011, 08:33 AM
I have summarized below some of the options for resetting the 310XT based on going through the forum. What is the combination of up arrow plus power button supposed to do?

Satellite Cache Reset - While the unit is powered off, hold the down arrow and the power button
Soft Reset Mode + Lap
Hard Reset - Hold Power On and Mode button - which resets the unit
Hard Reset (unprompted) Hold down enter and mode while quickly pressing the power button (do not hold the power button). Continue to hold enter and mode for a few more seconds. You should see the screen barely flicker on when you push power, and then nothing else should happen until you release the enter and mode buttons. After you release the buttons, your unit should power up and go through the initialization screens. Since this can be a difficult sequence to do, it is best to keep trying a few times if it doesn't work at first.

Note: The only issue I have had is some occassional loss of actual time when turned on where there is no satellite reception. Owned since Sept/10
Ver 3.20

anna_reid
01-26-2015, 02:58 AM
I have the same problem. My Garmin is out of warranty and Garmin said they will charge 75 if I send it back, they will provide a refurbished device. However the new device will only come with a 3 month warranty. Judging by how common this problem is I think I will cut my losses and buy a different brand. The hard reset and 'unprompted' hard reset didn't work. There is no power and it won't charge. Any suggestions?

sampeterson
01-26-2015, 03:22 PM
are you using the charger that came with your Garmin? Do you have another brand-name USB type charger you could try? The reason I say brand-name is that many of the cheap knock-offs you can buy on Amazon or from a petrol station will absolutely ruin your battery.