PDA

View Full Version : speedometer watch?

CERINO2000
09-23-2009, 07:41 PM
Hi. This isn't really related to fitness but I am thinking what I am looking for might be found here.

I use a StreetPilot series GPS on go karts to test their top speed. Unfortunately, I left mine sitting on the back of my wifes car, and she left with it in the morning. It went flying off and all but got smashed.

I need to find a replacement but it seems to me that Garmin may in fact make a GPS based watch. All I need is a speedometer function. I believe Garmins fitness watches have a speedometer built in.

Can someone confirm this for me? If it does have one, how fast does it update the speed on the screen? Instantly? Or, is it every few seconds or something. I need something that will tell me the speed instantly and consistently. The idea is I can put on my GPS speedo watch and still have both hands securely on the wheel as i am making the top speed run. Am I in line in thinking this can happen?

Since I just need the speed and no other functions, what is the best product for me?

Thanks

NDURANCERIDER
09-23-2009, 08:53 PM
A Forerunner 205 should fit the bill. Since you don't need a HRM. (Otherwise, you'd want the 305). If you think you might want to do double duty and actually do some fitness stuff, a 305 would work for both.

I've used my 305 in the car and the speed updates work for that. Not sure what speeds you're talking, though.

April

SAEEDI
09-24-2009, 08:51 AM
I've used my 405 on roller coasters, but the resulting information has been less than satisfactory. I think you would want a device that could record in one-second intervals and the 205/305 would fit the bill there.

SEILOGRAMP
09-24-2009, 07:27 PM
I've used my 405 on roller coasters

Max heart rate test? :D

SAEEDI
09-24-2009, 07:48 PM
Max heart rate test? :D

I did regret not bringing the HRM, but I originally wanted to get a 3-D view of the path. Next time I'll bring the 305 with one-second recording; And the HRM.