PDA

View Full Version : Can't find satellites

WAJONES2002
09-19-2009, 02:50 PM
Is the Edge 305 the same as the Forerunner 305. I am having the same issue. Can't find satellites. Did a 13 mile run today and forerunner lost satellite connection at mile 3 and never came back.

-DAMON-
09-21-2009, 10:59 AM
WAJONES2002,

Yes, resetting the Forerunner 305 would be just like resetting the Edge 305. If you are still unable to locate satellites with the Forerunner 305, please go to the following page on the Forerunner 305 Main Menu > Settings > General > About Forerunner and reply with your software version and GPS version.

-Damon-

KCM123
09-23-2009, 07:38 PM
I am having the same problem with my new forerunner 305. I have tried to update the software but it still says the chipset software is 0.00. I get an error when I try to download the chipset that reads, "The garmin device is unable to program the requested memory region. This could be due to an incompatibility between this application and the garmin device. If this error continues to occur, please contact garmin technical support." I am so excited to use my new forerunner. Please help!!

Also I downloaded the webupdater but that doesn't seem to help.

GBMOD11
09-25-2009, 08:10 AM
Due to the error message you received you will need to contact Garmin Support (http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/home/support/supportcontact).

gbmod11

KCM123
09-25-2009, 08:42 AM
Thank you. I actually ended up getting the update to work without the error message. Now I have GPS chipset version 3.00. However, I am still having trouble getting a signal. I contacted support and they suggested I turn off the unit, then turn it on by pressing the down arrow and the power on button at the same time. Apparently this resets the satellite locations. Then I am supposed to leave it outside in a clear area for 20 minutes. I did this and it was working in that moment so I thought it was fixed but then when I went for a run this morning is wasn't picking anything up. Do you have any additional suggestions I might try? I really hope I can avoid having to send it back for warranty repair because I am so excited about my new toy and I just want to use it. Thanks for your help.

CLEAN_UP_KID
01-16-2010, 08:12 AM
i am getting the same problems, i have to stand around looking dumb for about 5 minutres before i get a signal. ... but most of the time i dont get one at all.

When I finally get obne it will disappear at some point during teh run, no matter what!!

Never get the problem with my Edge 705

Please help or advise!

DW152
01-16-2010, 11:10 AM
Did you reset the satellite cache as suggested (power plus down arrow) button?

If possible, set the watch outside for 10-15 minutes before you start running.

You might also want to display GPS accuracy before you start your run. I try to get better than 25 feet before I start.

Finally, you might have a unit with a problem with GPS. I had an Edge 305 replaced under warranty. The replacement had poor GPS reception no matter what I did, so I returned that one and got one that worked better.

CLEAN_UP_KID
01-16-2010, 02:25 PM
Hi,
Thanks for the response. What is the procedure for warranty returns?

DW152
01-16-2010, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the response. What is the procedure for warranty returns?

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/support/supportcontact

THEREISNOFINISHLINE_8
06-18-2010, 01:27 AM
Thank you. I actually ended up getting the update to work without the error message. Now I have GPS chipset version 3.00. However, I am still having trouble getting a signal. I contacted support and they suggested I turn off the unit, then turn it on by pressing the down arrow and the power on button at the same time. Apparently this resets the satellite locations. Then I am supposed to leave it outside in a clear area for 20 minutes. I did this and it was working in that moment so I thought it was fixed but then when I went for a run this morning is wasn't picking anything up. Do you have any additional suggestions I might try? I really hope I can avoid having to send it back for warranty repair because I am so excited about my new toy and I just want to use it. Thanks for your help.

Hi KMC123,

How were you able to update the GPS software? I'm getting the same error when I try to update mine to versions 'G' and 3.0.

ASHEPINT
07-19-2010, 05:50 AM
After running the Webupdater software I ended up with a Garmin that couldn't find the satellites. Below is the story of my journey, followed by the solution.

Ran Webupdater again and updated everything. Didn't work.

Noticed GPS: 0.00 Followed online help, Downloaded Forerunner205_305GPSChipset_300.exe and ran it.

No difference - still Software Version 2.90 GPS: 0.00 Tried pressing Mode button together with power on to get complete reset. Re-entered Language/Location/etc. No difference.

Tried Webupdater again with overwrite existing install. No difference.

Tried Webupdater again but on an XP PC rather than Vista. No difference.

Tried plugging into mains charger (a forum suggestion) No difference.

Noticed that although Version 3.0 of software is downloaded,
when I run the .exe version 2.9 is mentioned. During the update
process the word 'loader' appears on the 305. Then on the PC after the
install the software says 'The update was successful'.

I emailed support with the above saying that I thought that 'GPS 0.00' is the main clue as to my problem. Their reply cured it.

The Solution
Go to http://www.gawisp.com/perry/chipset_firmware/Type_G/
I downloaded and ran GPSChipsetTypeG_290.exe (634kb) (Note don't unpack this file and run 'Updater' from within it, just run it.
Forerunner now finds satellites and on 'About' page shows GPS: 2.90

I then repeated the process but with ran GPSChipsetTypeG_300.exe (686kb). Again Forerunner finds satellites and shows GPS 3.00 on 'About' page. Job done.

The Problem
Webupdater installs from Forerunner205_305GPSChipset_300.exe (760kb), which for some reason doesn't work with my unit. The download from gawisp.com does work.

Hope this helps

IAMJOJO
07-25-2010, 01:20 AM
Long ago, support told me that I had to turn the unit on and place it somewhere where it didn't move to get satellites fast. In other words, don't have it on your wrist when initializing.

I tried this and it does work. I typically get satellites within 15-60 seconds.

CWOODS98
03-10-2011, 10:42 AM
Recently on a trip to Europe with my nuvi 1490t we experienced numerous lost satellite connection problems. In major city driving or walking the satellite signal was blocked by tall buildings- - -and we were lost!

1) Rather than displaying “lost satellite”, is it possible for the unit revert to a text route display? It seems that the route has been calculated and could be displayed in a text list (turn left at Maple st, turn right Main st. ect) until the sat signal is reconnected.
2) We had to purchase maps in every city to find our way back to a spot with sat connectivity. The unit was virtually worthless in inner city travel.
3) As a user we really don’t need to know when the unit has “lost satellite”, we need to know how to get from point “A” to point “B”.

BARTLEYKW
04-08-2013, 10:45 PM
[QUOTE=ASHEPINT;47555]After running the Webupdater software I ended up with a Garmin that couldn't find the satellites. Below is the story of my journey, followed by the solution.

Ran Webupdater again and updated everything. Didn't work.

Noticed GPS: 0.00 Followed online help, Downloaded Forerunner205_305GPSChipset_300.exe and ran it.

No difference - still Software Version 2.90 GPS: 0.00 Tried pressing Mode button together with power on to get complete reset. Re-entered Language/Location/etc. No difference.

Tried Webupdater again with overwrite existing install. No difference.

Tried Webupdater again but on an XP PC rather than Vista. No difference.

Tried plugging into mains charger (a forum suggestion) No difference.

Noticed that although Version 3.0 of software is downloaded,
when I run the .exe version 2.9 is mentioned. During the update
process the word 'loader' appears on the 305. Then on the PC after the
install the software says 'The update was successful'.

I emailed support with the above saying that I thought that 'GPS 0.00' is the main clue as to my problem. Their reply cured it.

The Solution
Go to http://www.gawisp.com/perry/chipset_firmware/Type_G/
I downloaded and ran GPSChipsetTypeG_290.exe (634kb) (Note don't unpack this file and run 'Updater' from within it, just run it.
Forerunner now finds satellites and on 'About' page shows GPS: 2.90

I then repeated the process but with ran GPSChipsetTypeG_300.exe (686kb). Again Forerunner finds satellites and shows GPS 3.00 on 'About' page. Job done.

The Problem
Webupdater installs from Forerunner205_305GPSChipset_300.exe (760kb), which for some reason doesn't work with my unit. The download from gawisp.com does work.

Hope this helps[/QUOTE

I was pulling my hair out and almost gave up! Nice detailed post, and appreciated!

ANDY_JANSEN
04-13-2013, 01:33 PM
I'm having the same problem. But although I believe the problem will be solved when I update the GPS firmware, I get the following error:

The GARMIN device is unable to program the requested memory region.

I tried downgrading to sw version 2.8 and that worked, but uploading a GPS firmware (tried 2.8 2.9 and 3.0) failes.
Anyone an idea how to solve this?

Thanks

SWOUTTERS
08-17-2013, 11:28 PM
I'm having the same problem. But although I believe the problem will be solved when I update the GPS firmware, I get the following error:

The GARMIN device is unable to program the requested memory region.

I tried downgrading to sw version 2.8 and that worked, but uploading a GPS firmware (tried 2.8 2.9 and 3.0) failes.
Anyone an idea how to solve this?

Thanks

I had this problem. I installed the webupdater from the garminsite. After doing this I was able to install the 3.00 firmware from gawisp.

Regards,

BRIANJBARBER
08-19-2013, 02:07 PM
I experienced the same thing - standing around for a really long time waiting for the unit to "Garminize". Lately, I tried taking the unit off and setting it on a ledge beside me where I usually wait for "Garminization" and it collected much quicker. I think walking around with it on my wrist was causing some of the delay.

DANIELWOLMAN
08-20-2013, 04:16 AM
I have this problem, i took a punt on a garmin with this issue but i can't get it to update with the newer gps files. whatever i do i get GPS 0.00 on the about screen. when i try to update with the newer files i get The GARMIN device is unable to program the requested memory region message.

i've tried downgrading, upgrading, uninstalling webupdater, reinstalling webupdater. i just feel like im going round in circles and not getting anywhere... any ideas?

MUNLING88
09-04-2013, 09:51 PM
After I updated the maps for my GARMIN GPS nuvi 1450LMT via Garmin Express on 8-30-13, I tried connecting and it worked. The next day when I was on my trip a few thousand miles from home, it couldn't connect to the satellite. After restarting a few times and waiting around forever a few times, I tried clicking "Toolbox" icon, Settings, Systems and Restore. That fixed it. Nothing was wiped out, not the newly updated maps or Favorites.

Now I need to use "Restore" about half of the times I need to use the GPS but at least it works.

MANU.MARS
10-28-2013, 12:38 AM
I have this problem, i took a punt on a garmin with this issue but i can't get it to update with the newer gps files. whatever i do i get GPS 0.00 on the about screen. when i try to update with the newer files i get The GARMIN device is unable to program the requested memory region message.

i've tried downgrading, upgrading, uninstalling webupdater, reinstalling webupdater. i just feel like im going round in circles and not getting anywhere... any ideas?

Dear Daniel,
did you find a solution to your problem? I have the same problem. I have installed several versions of the software but when trying to update the GPS software I always get the "memory region" message.

Many thanks!

BRIANJBARBER
10-28-2013, 08:22 AM
I would place a call to Garmin Support. It has worked for me in the past, and it will probably end up saving you more time than it takes to continue futzing with the software (like I tend to do).