PDA

View Full Version : Quick Transition

TONY.BAXTER
09-21-2009, 08:19 AM
One of the objections i've read about the 310xt is that it is still a bit thicker than traditional sports watches and hence difficult to get a wetsuit over. In a race yesterday i wore the quick release strap and simply unclipped the watch before removing the wetsuit sleeve and clipping back on. It worked a treat although i must say i did have some pre-race anxiety about the head unit coming off in the swim!

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
09-21-2009, 02:43 PM
One of the objections i've read about the 310xt is that it is still a bit thicker than traditional sports watches and hence difficult to get a wetsuit over. In a race yesterday i wore the quick release strap and simply unclipped the watch before removing the wetsuit sleeve and clipping back on. It worked a treat although i must say i did have some pre-race anxiety about the head unit coming off in the swim!

I've seen that objection too, but always used to manage fine with the 305 on the normal strap. When I got the quick release for the 305 removing the head unit made things easier but you did have to be a little careful as the wristband for the 305 quick release has a few projections.

The 310XT QR, as you point out, is very different and much easier to do just as you decscribe. Out triathlon season has yet to start (NZ) but I had already been giving some thought to doing as you describe. My anxiety is around having the head unit knocked off in the scrummage of a swim. I believe that the QR for the 310 is more secure. A busy swim with lots of folk kicking will soon see if that is the case

JSIEGE11
09-22-2009, 09:46 AM
What I've done (and what you need to do to get an accurate GPS track) is put the unit (detached from the QR) under your swim cap ready to go. Its pretty easy to feel for the start button (knowing which one it is of course) and hitting it at the start of your race. Looks pretty weird, but works like a charm in preventing very poor/jagged GPS tracking during swimming, which has been raised as an issue for the 310xt as well (putting the watch underwater during the swim causes this).

Make sure to turn auto-pause off too...my first race timing was ruined cause it auto-paused during the swim a lot...guess its Garmin's way of telling me I need to swim faster.

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
09-22-2009, 02:45 PM
Sorry, but there's just no way I'm putting a head unit under my swim cap. I've lost swim caps on several occasions before now. I have enough insecurities about losing it from my wrist, never mind from my head. I just accept that I will get time only from the unit and leave it where I feel most secure.

I don't use auto-pause anyway. The time I do in training or events includes any rests or stoppages because that is 'real time' I took at the real speed. I can look at splits to see what I was doing when I was moving (post processing in SportTracks).

JSIEGE11
09-23-2009, 12:23 PM
Sorry, but there's just no way I'm putting a head unit under my swim cap. I've lost swim caps on several occasions before now. I have enough insecurities about losing it from my wrist, never mind from my head. I just accept that I will get time only from the unit and leave it where I feel most secure.

I don't use auto-pause anyway. The time I do in training or events includes any rests or stoppages because that is 'real time' I took at the real speed. I can look at splits to see what I was doing when I was moving (post processing in SportTracks).

Haha, no sweat off my back if you don't like it. I've never come close to losing a swim cap. Personally, I feel its much more likely to be grabbed/twisted off my wrist than my swim cap coming off, but thats just me, to each his own, as they say. I got the idea for the swim cap from others on these forums, so I know I'm not the only one who does it.

Agree on auto pause, I'd rather control it myself, but I think it defaulted to "on" in the "other" mode, and I had not used that mode to turn it off before my first race with it.