PDA

View Full Version : BC-1000 Readings - Correct?

THETRICKSTERGIB
08-08-2011, 04:31 AM
Just got myself the BC-1000 scales.

Paired to my 310XT no problem, and got the results to Garmin connect.

Now... I normally check my weight (and now with these all the other values) in the morning after a shower. But I can't understand the Metabolic Age and Calories, they seem miles off...

Weight - 78.8 kg
Body Fat - 13.3 %
Body Water - 59.7 %
Bone Mass - 3.4 kg
Muscle Mass - 65.0 kg
Physique Rating - 6
Visceral Fat - 4
Metabolic Age -16 years
Daily Caloric Intake - 4,164 C

Any ideas? (btw I'm 32)

Thanks

GERRYCAN
08-08-2011, 06:40 AM
This article might help you.

http://www.quickmedical.com/health_information/weight_management/metabolic_age.html

THETRICKSTERGIB
08-08-2011, 07:31 AM
Thanks, interesting... 16yrs...I'm pretty sure I'm not as-fit or fitter than an 16yr!

Will give them a few months and look back at the data.

The reason I mentioned the time of day and shower, was because I was wondering if blood flow, blood pressure, heart rate etc would vastly effect the readings.

Thanks for the info!

GERRYCAN
08-08-2011, 01:47 PM
Well you do appear to be pretty fit. Looking at your body fat percentage, etc., you probably actually are more fit than all of the 16 year old couch potatoes out there who are getting no exercise and are subsisting on fast food double-patty-with-cheese-and-bacon monster meals.

Also, as far as time of day I read somewhere in the Tanita information that they recommend taking your reading just prior to your evening meal. First thing in the morning, you wake up dehydrated. By later in the day you have had time to hydrate yourself properly, so that's when you should take your reading.

They also say to take several readings and to go with the average trend. You might spike high one day and be low another day.

HELMBAEK
08-11-2011, 03:37 AM
I had the same problem when I first used Tanita BC-1000
I solved the problem by unchecking on my 310XT "Sports all life" fan

THETRICKSTERGIB
08-12-2011, 05:35 AM
Thanks, I've updated the settings to reflex my correct status (not a lifelong athlete - thou my resting heart is 52) and a activity rating of 7 - it was on 2.

Will check the results tonight.

THETRICKSTERGIB
08-15-2011, 04:21 AM
Well, I reset the scales (or rather my info on the 310XT - and now I'm even more confused! - but at least I get the right age!)

Weight - 76.9 kg
Body Fat - 19.3 %
Body Water - 57.1 %
Bone Mass - 3.1 kg
Muscle Mass - 59.0 kg
Physique Rating - 5
Visceral Fat - 6
Metabolic Age - 31 years
Daily Caloric Intake - 3,233 C

What annoys me now, is that the scales aren't really doing alot - I mean its obviously using set data to measure your fat, water, bone etc and not as I presumed sensors within the scales - if I change the 'lifelong athlete' setting on the 310XT all the values change - That is impossible.

I'm either 19% fat or 13% - surely by stating yes/no to being fit all my life, cannot gain me 6% fat...

Rich

LARSTS@GMAIL.COM
08-25-2011, 10:35 AM
Seems to be explained here:
http://www.tanita.co.uk/index.php?id=35

Basically it says numbers are not measured directly, only computed by weight and electrical resistance in the body and that the equations are calibrated against "normal" people. The athlete mode uses different equations based on findings for athletes/active people.

Further:

As a general guideline, we recommend Athlete mode for anyone who carries out more than 10 hours of intensive aerobic exercise a week AND who has a resting heartbeat of under 60bpm. (Some people naturally have a low heart rate - it does not apply unless they exercise at that level.) They should also have been exercising at this level for at least 6 months.

The numbers are not exact, but are consistent over time allowing you to monitor development.

THETRICKSTERGIB
08-31-2011, 02:31 AM
Thanks for the link, very interesting! and I suppose they are honest about what their scales do / don't do.

Alas, I think I was expecting these scales to do more, than just calculate measurements, at least they should be more accurate than my old analogue scales.