PDA

View Full Version : 310xt: Time contunes to be tracked even after pressing 'stop'

KRFAUGHNAN
09-17-2009, 10:21 AM
Ever since the most recent firmware update, my garmin xt310 continues to track time even after I have stopped the timer. This only happens when running and happens in both single and multisport mode. When it first started happening I thought I was forgetting to stop the timer, but after I started making a point to make certain I had stopped the timer, I confirmed that the timer continued to run even after I stopped it. The oddest part about this is that the timer display does not change but when I upload my data to my garmin software and/or mygarmin, it shows that the time continues to be tracked. The only way I can get accurate times uploaded as of right now is to completely turn off my watch which can be a hassle since I often hop on my bike when I am finished running (please note - I change the activity to biking when I do this.)

A good example can be seen here: http://connect.garmin.com/splits/12996904 - Key in on that last, 8th lap - notice I am not moving but the time continues to run.

The only other thing I have noticed since the firmware update was that now my recovery HR displays 2 or 3 minutes after I hit the stop button. Other then that, nothing else has changed and I have made no change to the settings.

Has anyone else experienced this???

NDURANCERIDER
09-17-2009, 01:17 PM
The only other thing I have noticed since the firmware update was that now my recovery HR displays 2 or 3 minutes after I hit the stop button. Other then that, nothing else has changed and I have made no change to the settings.

This was a new feature added in the recent firmware upgrade. I like it.

As for your other issue, I haven't noticed this issue. Be interesting to see if others have. But you might want to open a ticket with Garmin Support (http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/support).

April

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
09-17-2009, 09:47 PM
The only way I can get accurate times uploaded as of right now is to completely turn off my watch which can be a hassle since I often hop on my bike when I am finished running (please note - I change the activity to biking when I do this.)

Instead of turning off your device, press and hold lap until the count down has finished. That resets the timer.

My take is that this could be planned behaviour. You get total time for the activity including any stopped time. Since I always reset by holding the lap button when switching activities - unless I want a multi-sport activity logged in GTC, I've not noticed this behaviour.

SportTracks includes a switch to allow for the inclusion of stopped time when post processing activities if required. Looks like Garmin might just go for the time from start to switch off/reset irrespective of time between activities.

Short answer, do a reset by pressing and holding the lap button between activities.

NDURANCERIDER
09-18-2009, 09:16 AM
My take is that this could be planned behaviour. You get total time for the activity including any stopped time.

It could be planned and by design, but I don't think so. I did some tests trying to recreate what the OP is seeing and can not reproduce it. Of course, I don't have all the settings exactly like his, so hard to tell, but when you press the Stop button the unit should stop recording.

KRFAUGHNAN, do you have Auto Pause turned on? What other settings do you have?

April

SAEEDI
09-18-2009, 10:26 AM
It's by design. From page 31 of the manual:

https://forums.garmin.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=507&stc=1&d=1253291146

I actually find this field very useful. I no longer have to extrapolate paused time plus moving time to figure out total time!

NDURANCERIDER
09-18-2009, 12:37 PM
I do see Elapsed Time (as a data field) counting up after I press stop. However, that extra time is not recorded in the on-unit history, GC or TC.

The OP is seeing a 6:58 lap added on to the end of his activity. I do not see the same behavior with my unit.

KRFAUGHNAN, what version of Ant Agent are you using?

April

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
09-18-2009, 07:08 PM
Maybe the stop time is only included if another activity is started before a reset or device shutdown?

Total time = activity 1 time + stop time + activity 2 time ?

KRFAUGHNAN
09-19-2009, 03:42 AM
KRFAUGHNAN, do you have Auto Pause turned on? What other settings do you have?

April

I did not have Auto-pause turned on but just went ahead and turned it on. I am running a 1/2 marathon tomorrow so I will see if enabling this setting makes a difference.

KRFAUGHNAN
09-19-2009, 03:48 AM
I do see Elapsed Time (as a data field) counting up after I press stop. However, that extra time is not recorded in the on-unit history, GC or TC.

The OP is seeing a 6:58 lap added on to the end of his activity. I do not see the same behavior with my unit.

KRFAUGHNAN, what version of Ant Agent are you using?

April

I am on the latest version on the Ant Agent. What's intriguing about this is that, this was not happening prior the recent upgrades AND it only seems to happen when I run. I again conducted a test on my last run - I ran 7 easy miles, stopped my watch, and waited about 30 seconds before turning it off - as you can see, it again recorded that time between me pressing stop and me turning off the watch - http://connect.garmin.com/splits/13509009 (btw: my heart rate is WAY off on this activity.)

I opened a ticket with Garmin a few days ago, but have not yet heard back.

KEYONE
09-20-2009, 05:07 AM
I have a Garmin 50 and it does the exact same thing. I find it annoying. I know I beat 1:30 on a certain run, and the display on the watch while I was running showed 1:29:58, but Garmin Connect shows it as 1:31:45. If I look at the splits, it shows a time for each place I hit stop (i.e., when waiting for a traffic light) The splits that have no heart rate recorded are the 'stops'. I think this "feature" is going to make me not upgrade to a 310xt. I need to track my runs and rides accurately, so I can see improvement.

Here are the splits, in case anyone is interested:
http://connect.garmin.com/splits/13524511

ALAALA
09-20-2009, 05:13 AM
I can't even understand the problem.
Do you guys really reset the watch after stopping?

STARWATCHERDE
09-20-2009, 05:24 AM
did you try to hard-reset the watch?

RUNKKRUN
09-21-2009, 04:00 PM
KRFAUGHNAN,

Looking at a few of the TCX files, and just reading through the discussion, it looks and sounds more like you're pressing the Lap button and not the Stop button. In your last update you said you pressed Stop then waited 30 seconds to turn off the device. It was when you turned off your device that the timing was actually stopped.

I do not know if this is the case, but it seems more likely since (so far) we're not hearing about the problem from anyone else. I will continue to investigate, but please make sure you are pressing the correct button.

Also, do NOT do a soft or hard reset until you have uploaded/retrieved all data from your device. Completing a system reset will most likely cause you to lose all of the data. Let's exhaust all other possibilities before we risk losing data.

kk

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
09-21-2009, 05:24 PM
I can't even understand the problem.
Do you guys really reset the watch after stopping?

Reset as in press and hold the lap button to reset/zero the time and distance. We do this when switching from swim to bike to run to avoid getting auto-multisport and to ensure the activities are kept separate.

Very different to hard or soft reset :)

It also avoids that extra trackpoint I got on the weekend when I stopped, (but not turned off or reset) the device after a run, drove home, then reset and went out for a bike. I ended up with a nice straight track line from the run finish to my house. Easily fixed by editing the .tcx file, but annoying all the same.

ALAALA
09-21-2009, 11:52 PM
Reset as in press and hold the lap button to reset/zero the time and distance. We do this when switching from swim to bike to run to avoid getting auto-multisport and to ensure the activities are kept separate.

Very different to hard or soft reset :)

It also avoids that extra trackpoint I got on the weekend when I stopped, (but not turned off or reset) the device after a run, drove home, then reset and went out for a bike. I ended up with a nice straight track line from the run finish to my house. Easily fixed by editing the .tcx file, but annoying all the same.

I've used stop watches much longer than I've used Forerunners and I'm very familiar with the general process. There are start, lap, stop, and reset actions. All four are essential (well, laps might not be essential, but very handy). So, when I say reset I mean the standard action of informing the watch that I won't be resuming the last activity, thus ordering it to prepare for a new activity. If I mean hard (soft) reset I would say hard (soft) reset.

JSIEGE11
09-22-2009, 09:28 AM
It's by design. From page 31 of the manual:

https://forums.garmin.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=507&stc=1&d=1253291146

I actually find this field very useful. I no longer have to extrapolate paused time plus moving time to figure out total time!

I see tracking total time (including when I stop the watch) is a "built in" feature. Can I turn this off? I find it highly annoying because when I export the data, it includes stopped time, which I don't want includued when i use something to analyze the data. I mean, if I stopped the watch cause I was stuck at at light or using a bathroom, I obviously DON'T want that time recorded...otherwise I wouldn't have stopped it.

Of note, the Time field in GC is correct (i.e. it does not include stopped time) but the graphs with speed/HR/cadence data DO include stopped time. E.g. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/12906057 - the Time is 47:28, but thhe graphs go well beyond 50 min. You can see in the graphs at about 10 min, i stopped the watch for 4 min or so. Luckily, the average pace/speed/HR etc do not include the stopped time, so you still get that data accurately.

LESFAUFAU
09-22-2009, 09:44 AM
its because you have entreed time elapsed i/o time

time elapsed does not stop once you have pressed start/stop
time does stop

DANGEISLER
02-21-2014, 02:00 PM
This is happening now to me, as of 1/2014, on my Garmin 205. Did anyone solve it?