PDA

View Full Version : screen cracked on 310 XT

RALPHDEKREIJ
09-13-2009, 01:43 PM
Hi there,

I bought the Forerunner 310 XT some two week ago. This weekend I had my first event and after a few minutes the watch fell on the ground with a cracked screen as result. The lower rubber band went loose after the steel pin probably popped out. Maybe it was not properly inserted from factory?

Tomorrow I am going to contact Garmin and see how we can solve it. Do you guys think they will offer a replacement?

philipshambrook
09-13-2009, 03:21 PM
Will be interesting. There were some postings elsewhere, maybe here too, about wristband pin problems

KAFOLSKE
09-13-2009, 04:03 PM
My band was not installed correctly from the factory either. Luckily my watch did not fall to the ground when the band came loose.

RACINGSNAKE2000
09-16-2009, 08:11 AM
Exact same thing happened to me tonight! Taking my kayak off the roof of my pickup, strap 'popped' open and watch landed on the bitumen at my feet. When I picked it up, the glass screen was cracked! Worst part is.... I've never used it! less than three days old!

LUKENRG
09-16-2009, 08:23 AM
I've never used it! less than three days old!

Life is rugged... Hope that you will get a new onw for free!!!

Kind regards
LukeNRG

RALPHDEKREIJ
09-16-2009, 09:11 AM
When I picked it up, the glass screen was cracked! Worst part is.... I've never used it! less than three days old!

Wow.. this seems no coincidence anymore. Suggest all owners to carefully check if pins are properly inserted. Others who have the same problem, please report in this thread so we can show Garmin its not our mistake. Somehow I am confident that Garmin will replace for a new unit. Have send mine in last Monday and waiting for their response.

@racingsnake: please let us know how they deal with your watch. thx!

ANDERSJANS
09-16-2009, 01:01 PM
The same thing happened to me just when I came home from a orienteering competition. I am grateful that I didn't lose it in the woods... Since then it has never happened again.

RACINGSNAKE2000
09-18-2009, 02:14 AM
I've taken it back to the store I bought it from. They will call me when they've heard from Garmin. I phoned Garmin Australia too who informed me that the watch would have to be sent into them so they can assess it and decide what caused it to happen. As I live in Western Australia and their offices are in Sydney, I guess I'll be waiting in suspense for a while....
I've got a lot of mates that are very curious about the outcome of this too? No body wants a fragile unit for outdoor activity, I'll keep you posted...

RACINGSNAKE2000
10-23-2009, 10:25 PM
garmin did end up replacing the unit! took about two weeks. hopefully they'll come up with a solution for the problem in the near future?

EKUTTER
10-23-2009, 10:32 PM
Has anybody had this happen after verifying their pin's? Is it that they actually come lose or that they were installed incorrectly. Incidentally, my pins popped out but due to the case cracking next to the pins. Road Runner Sports in Seattle exchanged mine for a brand new one after contacting Garmin.

digicoach
12-15-2010, 04:34 AM
After a fall of only 30 cm from a bench the glas cracked. Its is a very bad design, because the glass is higher than the rubber casing of the watch and therefore it is very vulnurable. This should not be happening to an expensive outdoor sportswatch. Repair/replace costs at least 150,- euro, but because the current dealer in the Netherlands quits I have to wait for a month to be able to send my watch in for repair. I use it 3 times a week... A very bad service of Garmin on top of a bad product. I do not recommend this watch or brand to my friends!!

FRANKFAMULARO
07-10-2011, 12:30 PM
Come on Garmin, these items should be more robust for the price I paid for this 310xt. Its outside the warranty period, what will it cost me to fix this. :mad:

GrahamWinder
07-23-2011, 07:00 PM
Mine is exactly the same!!

After a fall of only 30 cm from a bench the glas cracked. Its is a very bad design, because the glass is higher than the rubber casing of the watch and therefore it is very vulnurable. This should not be happening to an expensive outdoor sportswatch. Repair/replace costs at least 150,- euro, but because the current dealer in the Netherlands quits I have to wait for a month to be able to send my watch in for repair. I use it 3 times a week... A very bad service of Garmin on top of a bad product. I do not recommend this watch or brand to my friends!!

CBJESSEENH
07-26-2011, 06:17 PM
I blame it on firmware 3.7 ;-)

But seriously, I cut out a bit of screen protector for all my devices and stick them on when I first buy a unit. Eliminates scratches, glare and cracks.

fab_qashqai
07-27-2011, 01:38 AM
Come on Garmin, these items should be more robust for the price I paid for this 310xt. Its outside the warranty period, what will it cost me to fix this. :mad:

Look at this:

http://hanswinter.wordpress.com/tag/garmin-310xt/

where a blogger reports:
1) that this kind of damage is not covered by warranty
2) repair cost is 118 USD.

Regards

ARANWEN
07-29-2011, 02:40 PM

I have had the same problem! - over 100 to replace the glass so I am only using the watch when its dry ( still works ok ). Won't buy another until the design is improved or another company comes up with a good alternative!

fuji_racer
08-02-2011, 05:26 PM
I blame it on firmware 3.7 ;-)

But seriously, I cut out a bit of screen protector for all my devices and stick them on when I first buy a unit. Eliminates scratches, glare and cracks.

I just placed one of these http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/garmin-forerunner-310xt-cases-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields.phpon my device. Went on easily and looks fine (i.e.- can't even tell it's there). We'll see how it goes.
Disclaimer: I am not affiliated in any way with the company at the website and don't endorse the product in any way shape or form.

TARUNRAJAN@GMAIL.COM
05-19-2013, 06:15 PM
I removed my 310xt after a run and dropped it not more than 25-30cm on my jumper and it bounced and now the screen is cracked. I feel gutted. Rang up Garmin this morning and was advised that they don't replace the screen on the watch, but will replace it with an NOH unit for $149.00 AUD. Guess I'll be using a wide cellotape for the time being. It's a shame that just an expensive watch cracks so easily..... Paid half for a G-Shock and it's gone through everything.