PDA

View Full Version : 310xt v2.6 and Tanita BC-1000 scale..

POSITIVPAU405
09-13-2009, 11:27 AM
After I updated the firmware on my 310xt to v2.6, I can't connect with my Ant+ Tanita BC-1000 scale. Before the upgrade, it worked just fine. Did the way to connect with the scale change with 2.6? Could you please give me step by step instructions on how to connect the devices. At this point, the scale does not work anymore. Any advice is appreciated.

-DAMON-
09-14-2009, 10:48 AM
POSITIVPAU405,

Please follow these steps to pair the scale with your Forerunner 310XT:
1) Remove your shoes and socks
2) Ensure user profile is accurate
3) Ensure HR Monitor ANT + is OFF
4) Main Menu > Mode > Settings > User Profile
5) When profile is set, while on profile page, press the Power Button (if backlight is enabled you will need to press the Power button twice)
6) Device says Weight Scale Detected
7) Green light blinks on scale and watch says Receiving Data
8) Need to step on scale while green light is blinking
9) Weight fills in first, then Hydration % and Body Fat %
10) Light turns green (no blinking); watch says Done
11) Press Enter to save data
12) Plug in Ant Stick, open Ant Agent and transfer data
13) ANT Agent says Downloading Fitness Data
14) Sends data directly to Garmin Connect (not GTC)
15) Login to your GC account and select the Health tab to view the data

-Damon-

POSITIVPAU405
09-14-2009, 04:12 PM
Thanks Damon,
I called support and my watch needed a master reset. After the reset the scale worked again.
I am still a little confused on 5)
The watch does not have any option to enable or disable backlight. I usually press power and then press "enter" to make the scale work.
BTW: I didn't find it necessary to disable the HR monitor to make this work.
All the best,
positiv

-DAMON-
09-14-2009, 04:19 PM
POSITIVPAU405,

I'm glad to hear it is working again.!

A better way to word step #5 may be:
5) When profile is set, while on profile page, press the Power Button (if backlight is on you will need to press the Power button twice). If the backlight is on, you can press POWER twice. Once to turn the backlight off, and a second time to turn it back on.

-Damon-

SKIERZ2
09-28-2009, 09:15 PM
Damon,

I have three issues: 1) I followed your instructions and it seems I have to sit there and hit the power button a bunch of times until it pairs up.

2) sometimes after it pairs and finishes, there is no data on the 310XT.

3) Once it gave me a reading of 4400 lbs which when I updated Garmin Connect has totally messed up my graph. Is there a way to remove data points on the Health tab?

-DAMON-
09-29-2009, 04:36 PM
SKIERZ2,

For issues 1-2, do you have the latest software on the Forerunner 310XT? You can download the latest version from https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/fr310update.jsp .

If you do have the latest software, you may need to reset the Forerunner. Be advised, this may erase all of your user data. To do so, with the unit off , press and hold MODE + POWER until you receive a screen that reads, "Do you really want to erase all user data? Yes/No." Select YES and proceed through the startup menus.

For issue 3, at this time, there is not a way to remove data from the Health tab.

-Damon-

SKIERZ2
09-30-2009, 10:57 AM
Thank you. Yes, I am on 2.6. Three questions:

1) If I reset and all my user data is erased, will that effect what I have already loaded up to Garmin Connect and GTC?

2) Is there any planned fix in order to edit the Health Page? With a data point of 4400 lbs my trending information of 5 to 10 pounds is useless.

3) Assuming there is not a fix, is there any way to view past data other than graphically?

POSITIVPAU405
09-30-2009, 11:05 AM
I got the same problem with the wrong weight. I got 5,500 lbs !!!
That messes the entire graph and there is no way to delete that wrong data. I hope the option to detete/edit data gets added soon.
Best,
positiv

-DAMON-
09-30-2009, 04:35 PM
SKIERZ2 and POSITIVPAU405,

When you received the incorrect weight (4,400 lbs and 5,500 lbs) did you see this on the device too, or only in Garmin Connect?

SKIERZ2, here are the answers to your questions:

1. No, resetting the device will not change or delete any data that is currently in Garmin Connect or Garmin Training Center.

2. I have not heard officially if or when that will change.

3. You can see past data by clicking on the point on the graph. This will display all 9 values that the Tanita BC-1000 platform calculates and displays in Garmin Connect.

-Damon-

POSITIVPAU405
10-01-2009, 11:43 AM
I never saw it on the watch. However the watch showed "blank" information a couple times when the scale was "solid green". Meaning, the info didn't get to the watch (Or not properly). All this was before I had to do a full reset of the watch.
positiv

SKIERZ2
10-01-2009, 09:22 PM
I never saw it on the watch either. I got blanks, but thought I maybe the data was still in the watch.

ROMEROAX
10-03-2009, 07:20 PM
I'm also having the bizarre weight issue. My watch tells me my correct weight, but when it uploads to Garmin Connect, it says 1444.8 *every time*. This is a little disconcerning as I don't feel 1444.8 lbs and it makes all of the health tracking data worthless. I paid a lot of money for this scale / watch and it doesn't work right. What's going on here Garmin? this is clearly a bug as multiple people are reporting it. Please update the community!

Thank you!

GKZGSTUART
10-05-2009, 04:45 AM
Same problem here - I'm suddenly the world's fattest man - tipping the scales at 1,448.8 lbs!

I've exchanged emails with support - they suggested I wait ~30 seconds after the light flashes before standing on the scales. This worked 1 out of 5 times. The problem is, the trending data is useless as you can't delete the bad entries - plus, it doesn't seem to work consistently.

Like everyone, I'm very frustrated as I had high hopes of having all of my data conveniently stored in 1 place (Garmin Connect) for tracking and trending.

Let's hope they (Garmin/Tanita) make this right...

-DAMON-
10-05-2009, 09:18 AM
For those of you receiving incorrect weights of 4,000 lbs or more, we would like to see the .fit file from your monitoring folder. To locate this folder:

In Windows XP: C:\ Drive > Documents and Setting > Your Username > Application Data > GARMIN > Devices > Numbered Folder > Monitoring

In Windows Vista: C:\ Drive > Users > Your Username > AppData > Roaming > GARMIN > Devices > Numbered Folder > Monitoring

Please locate the .fit file in this folder and attach it to your reply along with the weight that was displayed in Garmin Connect.

-Damon-

SKIERZ2
10-05-2009, 05:10 PM
Damon, Here is mine. Apparently, it is not 4400 lbs but 1,444 pounds. Still a little more than off.

POSITIVPAU405
10-06-2009, 10:13 AM
For those of you receiving incorrect weights of 4,000 lbs or more, we would like to see the .fit file from your monitoring folder. To locate this folder:

In Windows XP: C:\ Drive > Documents and Setting > Your Username > Application Data > GARMIN > Devices > Numbered Folder > Monitoring

In Windows Vista: C:\ Drive > Users > Your Username > AppData > Roaming > GARMIN > Devices > Numbered Folder > Monitoring

Please locate the .fit file in this folder and attach it to your reply along with the weight that was displayed in Garmin Connect.

-Damon-

I have a Mac (Snow Leopard) ....

SAEEDI
10-06-2009, 10:15 AM
I have a Mac (Snow Leopard) ....

Look under:

~/Library/Application Support/Garmin/Devices/[device id]/Monitoring

BERNERBEAR
10-07-2009, 12:18 PM
I am very, very disappointed with the combined use of my 310xt and BC-1000. It is unbelievable that I cannot edit Health points. Not just do I get erroneous weight measurements in the 3000 pound range. I also got an entry which is dated years back. It throws the whole chart off and makes it utterly useless. It's frustrating and counterproductive if you plan on using it as a motivational tool. There is nothing inspiring about screwed up charts you cannot fix.
Sometimes it is a drag to be an early adopter. The combo of 310xt, scale and and Garmin Connect is a very sexy combination. Except the 700 Dollar object of my affection has presently an IQ of about 48 and that's unbearable.

MIDKNIGHTR
10-07-2009, 02:09 PM
I am very, very disappointed with the combined use of my 310xt and BC-1000. It is unbelievable that I cannot edit Health points. Not just do I get erroneous weight measurements in the 3000 pound range. I also got an entry which is dated years back. It throws the whole chart off and makes it utterly useless. It's frustrating and counterproductive if you plan on using it as a motivational tool. There is nothing inspiring about screwed up charts you cannot fix.
Sometimes it is a drag to be an early adopter. The combo of 310xt, scale and and Garmin Connect is a very sexy combination. Except the 700 Dollar object of my affection has presently an IQ of about 48 and that's unbearable.

In Garmin Connect if I click on the health tab it gives me

Error
Sorry, but it appears that an error occurred.
What To Do Now?
◦Refresh this page
◦Hit the back button on your browser and try the action again
◦Return to this page in a few minutes
◦Contact Customer Support

I do all that, CS said it's just down. But it sounds like you people are at least seeing it (though it's not really 'working'). It just doesn't like me?

Hmm.. I just made a new account and that account seems to work? Is it beccause I was on motionbased before, why can't I track my weight?

So... I can't manually enter my body fat percentage? I have a none ant+ scale :). Man, why are they hobbling this garmin connect? It is very frustrating.

POSITIVPAU405
10-09-2009, 06:07 PM
A quick and easy solution for this would be to allow users using the tanita data to "delete" and OR "edit" a certain date info.
That would really be great and solve this issue.
Thanks,
positiv

SKIERZ2
10-11-2009, 05:00 PM
Today, I tried to pair up the 310XT and BC1000. After, several tries it finally paired up (even after I reset, blah, blah, blah) and nothing displayed on the watch. I did a work out, and downloaded my date and low and behold my health tab was updated but the weight was 1,444.8. No other information was recorded.

Would like to have a better more reliable way to pair the watch and scale, and a way to be able to edit the file if the results are off.

Should I send a note to support or the wish list thread or is this sufficient?

LEOTHEFIRST
10-12-2009, 05:47 PM
I was looking at purchasing either the Tanita BC1000 (wireless scale) or one of their more simpler Ironman scales such as the BC 549 (which is not a wireless scale, all manual buttons etc).

After seeing all the issues on this forum between the 310XT and the BC1000, let's see how Garmin handles this issue?

I just got off the phone with Tanita in Seattle. A great rep with Tanita named Jesse is jumping on the issue as we speak.

I suggested that Tanita gets it on with Garmin on this issue, because when a potential customer (me) of Tanita's newest latest and greatest sees these kinds of issues on the Garmin side, it don't look good guys.

Hopefully Garmin will work this out? I see efforts from Garmin at this post, but upon reading these posts, no fix has been provided to date. :cool:

Needless to say, I'm a big proponent of exceptional customer support.

TESARSKI
10-14-2009, 09:23 AM
Garmin is aware of this issue and will release a fix in the first part of November.

LEOTHEFIRST
10-14-2009, 02:27 PM
I just received the follow up from Tanita, regarding the problems noted within these posts.

Similar to what TESARSKI just posted, Tanita's rep is telling me that they have now been in contact with Garmin, and that the issues will be resolved with updates that Garmin will be releasing at the end of this month.

Let's wait and see?

LEOTHEFIRST
10-15-2009, 02:27 PM
Just got off the phone again with the Tanita rep in WA. The issues with incorrect info being displayed at the Garmin Connect health tab is definitely a Garmin issue to fix, and Garmin states that the issues will be corrected in the upcoming update, due at the end of this month.

However, the free software that is downloadable from Tanita, for the BC1000, called "Healthy Edge", I think I like even more than the info at GC. Since I keep paper copies of my "health trending" and activities anyways, this software from Tanita, for me will be preferable. I can print my trending data, or simply view it on my computer.

I don't have to make any manual entries, the data from the BC1000 is sent wirelessly to my computer via the "ANT" stick that comes with the scale. Then I can view and print as needed. So until Garmin works out their kinks at GC, the software from Tanita is the ticket for me.

While Garmin and Tanita have partnered up with their efforts, the Tanita rep (Jesse Roach) currently has a F310xt at his desk, and can provide answers as needed. It's been my experience that he provides exceptional customer support, and it's becasue of him that I ultimately bought the BC1000. He can be reached at Tanita's WA main office.

Gotta love great customer support. It makes all the difference in the world when there are problems with products.:D

TURN2006
10-24-2009, 02:07 PM
http://www.thecompetitiveedge.com/downloads/

v 1.2.1 is available and you can view and edit individual records

P.S. I have been able to set up, collect, transfer and display using 310XT v 2.60 and HE v1.2.1 (even on Vista Ult 64)

Thanks DAMOM for instructions, everything is working (so it is possible) and the data in the 310XT fed both the HE software and Garmin connect-health automatically.

Just wish you could push a button on the scale and the data would be pushed to HE and GC.

RUNDKAAS
10-25-2009, 03:31 PM
Just wish you could push a button on the scale and the data would be pushed to HE and GC.

The sending of the data automaticaly to GC even for non supported watches would be quite simple if we only had some sort of way to interface with GC.
This can either be done by knowing the upload file format, and making the ant+ agent do the upload, or it could be done by a direct webservice call.
Getting the data out of HealtyEdge however is very easy, and it would not take me long time to put together a proof of concept if I only had some way of taking to the GC.

SCHMIDTBABY
11-08-2009, 10:49 AM
AllI I get is a Red Light , never a Green Light and a Beep

It won't communicate with my FR60 or the USB Stick

Pls. Help!!!

LEOTHEFIRST
11-10-2009, 12:01 AM
SCHMIDTBABY,

You may have a bad ANT stick. The ANT stick I recieved with my BC1000 would not work at all. Tanita will replace it for free after you ship your bad one back to them.

I just did that, and the marvelous folks at UPS lost it somewhere in their system. Use FedEx or USPS instead. Call the Tanita rep in Preston WA. Ask for Jesse Roach. He'll do whatever is in his power to help get you up and running.

Currently I'm using the ANT stick that came with my F310XT, and it works fine. The ANT sticks from Tanita are the same as from Garmin.

Keep in mind, Garmin has yet to fix their issues with Garmin Connect. I am using the Tanita software until Garmin Connect is fixed and able to display the Tanita measurements correctly.

-DAMON-
12-10-2009, 06:24 PM
It's been awhile since I've posted on this thread, so I thought I would update every one. We are currently aware of the errant weight values, and we are still working to resolve the matter as quickly as we can for those who have experienced this. Thank you all for your patience and we will continue to work on this error.

-Damon-

CBJESSEENH
12-11-2009, 05:40 PM
I am surprised at just how long it takes to fix these problems. Is very little resource being devoted? Is Garmin planning to market a new model and ditch the 310XT and customers who bought one?

Note that Suunto had problems with their T6c calorie calculation and is replacing units with new units to address the issue. If Garmin can't fix the firmware they should too replace the hardware.

EKUTTER
12-12-2009, 07:23 PM
So I just looked at the specs on this scale. There is no display! So if you don't happen to have your FR310 right there in the bathroom, you don't know how much you weigh until you go to your computer? Yes I see there is an optional remote display but that is pretty clunk for a cool sleek scale.
Aside from this obvious limitation, how does it work? what if it isn't within range of my computer? Will it save the data for multiple days until I get my watch within range? Does it work with multiple users (and multiple computers/watches)?

MTBIKERNATE
12-13-2009, 12:14 AM
I have only the bc-1000 and no compatible Garmin watches. So I am limited to Tanita's software. I have worked with Jesse Roach quite a bit, BTW, because when I first bought the scale it the software would not work on 64bit systems. My conversations with him (and I'm sure others, too) helped them get a software update out there that worked for us 64bit Vista folks. Now that it works great, I love it.

AllI I get is a Red Light , never a Green Light and a Beep

It won't communicate with my FR60 or the USB Stick

Pls. Help!!!

What kind of distance do you have between the computer and the scale? Mine's in the same room, since it has to transmit directly to the computer.

So I just looked at the specs on this scale. There is no display! So if you don't happen to have your FR310 right there in the bathroom, you don't know how much you weigh until you go to your computer? Yes I see there is an optional remote display but that is pretty clunk for a cool sleek scale.
Aside from this obvious limitation, how does it work? what if it isn't within range of my computer? Will it save the data for multiple days until I get my watch within range? Does it work with multiple users (and multiple computers/watches)?

Yeah, no display. Mine is in the same room with the computer, since I have it transmitting directly to the PC. I am not sure how it would work with a Garmin watch. There are multiple remote display options. Look at them. They're quite sleek, too.

With transmitting directly to the pc, the software on the computer is what controls the scale. As in, you tell Healthy Edge you want to take a measurement, and then when the scale beeps, you step onto it, it takes your measurements, and then you go back to the PC and the readings are there. You then save the measurements in the software. The software is able to track as many users as you want to track. You just have to pick the correct user.

It does need to be within range of something, though. By itself, the scale doesn't do anything. There are ZERO controls on it...just a status light telling you if it's ready or not. I haven't tested the range on it yet. I'm surprised that it works in the same room (office) as the computer, but still several feet away (maybe 10ft by my guess). Maybe I'd check it in another room, but then I'd have to run across the house to get from the computer to the scale.

EKUTTER
12-13-2009, 06:28 PM
My computer is about 50 feet from the scale, through several walls and a floor. I don't think my watch will transmit to the computer from the bathroom but it will transfer from the kitchen which is about 25 feet through a floor. I suspect the scale wouldn't go that far.

Any idea if it stores any data in the scale for future upload?