PDA

View Full Version : time heart rate readings are fluctuating and erroneous

ALVADOM
09-13-2009, 04:50 AM
Hello again. I wanted to comment on something that's wrong with my heart monitor. In my exercise, at any given time heart rate readings are fluctuating and erroneous. Could be static electricity produced by the friction of my shirt with the band synthetic heart and body during exercise? I reached this conclusion because I have noticed that when you rub my fingers heart band readings are very high. I would like to tell me about your experiences

-DAMON-
09-14-2009, 10:35 AM
ALVADOM,

I'm sorry to hear that's happening.

What type of activity are you doing when this occurs, such as biking or running? Also, have you tried wearing a tighter shirt? If so, did this make any difference.

Are you using our regular heart rate monitor, or our new premium soft strap heart rate monitor?

-Damon-

SKIERZ2
09-14-2009, 02:43 PM
Damon,

I ran today and for the first fifteen minutes or so the HR looked fine, then it sky rocketed up into the 180s with no change in speed etc. This has happened several times. There is no one else around, I was not near any places that would mess it up. I did have my footpod on, and my chest strap is the premium strap. I was also wearing a 100% polyester shirt if that is a factor.

I really would be interested in a solution to this other than wearing cotton (I am a sweater).

This has happened on other occaisions, but today I was purposely running slow to stay under a certain HR and my 310XT was no help.

-DAMON-
09-14-2009, 03:04 PM
SKIERZ2,

You may want to try to reposition the heart rate monitor on your chest. Or, I have talked to some people who receive more accurate data with the heart rate monitor's contacts worn on their back.

Also, please make sure that the heart rate monitor is worn tight, but not so tight it is uncomfortable.

-Damon-

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
09-14-2009, 03:07 PM
We've had/have Fr305s, Edge 305s and now FR310Xts and seen this with all of the devices, particularly when wearing loose flapping shirts. Most of the time wearing a tight fitting shirt avoids the problem.

You could also try an electrode gel. A friend of ours swears by honey under the strap.

BTW - we also saw this with Polar CS200s as well so it's not by any means restricted to Garmin devices.

T_SMIT
09-14-2009, 04:12 PM
We've dubbed it "jersey flapping syndrome" here at Dynastream. The cause is, typically, statically active clothing such as synthetic shirts or cycling jerseys. Usually the problem goes away when your shirt gets damp from sweat or other moisture. However, the problem can be more evident if you wear multiple layers and if the air is more dry. You can make it better in a couple of different ways or use a combination:

- Wet the electrode area of the strap ONLY. This is more significant with the new cloth strap. Don't run the whole thing under the tap. If you use electrode gel, just a thin smear of the stuff on the electrodes will do.
- Don't put your running gear in the clothes dryer. It's not good for the fabric anyway.
- Spray your jersey or shirt with some static guard or rub it with an antistatic sheet for the clothes dryer before you use it.
- Clean your strap (specifically the electrodes) with a damp cloth after use, and then let the strap air dry. Leaving it inside a damp gym bag is bad for a number of reasons - it isn't good for the electrodes and it may cause the strap to stay 'on' because it's detecting a contact between the two electrodes through some damp clothing or towel.

If you're having inconsistent HR results then it may be necessary to experiment with the location of the strap on your chest. It's intended for the strap to sit on the ribcage, just below the pectoral muscles or breasts. The lettering on the module should be right-side up so that it reads properly to someone facing you.
This placement works for most users, but if you go for a reasonable length run or bike and the heart rate data never looks right (i.e. it's jumpy when you're going at a steady effort level, or it's way off compared to your carotid artery pulse rate) then you may have to experiment. Try shifting the strap to the left of center or up and down a little. As Damon suggested, some people have found the strap to work better on the back or even upside down. However, the strap-on-the-back approach may not work well in a bike setup where you have the watch or Edge on the handlebars.

SKIERZ2
09-14-2009, 06:06 PM
Guys, Thanks for the suggestions. I will try them. Also, I did have this problem with my Polar 625SX as well at times, but it was very spikey versus constant.

GIACOV
09-15-2009, 03:51 AM
If you use electrode gel, just a thin smear of the stuff on the electrodes will do.

A small quantity of electrode gel on the electrodes worked for me. Thanks.

giacov

ALVADOM
09-17-2009, 01:55 PM
follow my heart problem with the band. I tested with a 100% cotton shirt and my problem remains. the funny thing is happening in the second half of my career about 8 kilometers. attached a picture to see him for yourself

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/3654/dibujoks.jpg

T_SMIT
09-17-2009, 02:41 PM
That kind of noise is not generally expected when you're that far into a run. Did your strap get very sweaty during the run? Can you post the same graph for the run you reported on 9-13?

Does it seem like the strap is slipping out of position during the run? If your strap is the fabric type, unsnap the module from both sides and make sure that the snap contacts are clean.

ALVADOM
09-17-2009, 02:46 PM
forgiveness but not understand what you mean by 9-13. you repeat it? the normal belt gets wet with sweat and barely moves during the race. indeed, when I take off my shirt back readings to be correct. thus seems a problem of tissue. but as I said that race was the 100% cotton

T_SMIT
09-17-2009, 04:36 PM
Sorry, 9-13 was a reference to the date you posted the first problem (September 13).

If a continuous band of sweat develops across the strap (from one electrode to the other) then it can cause the HR readings to become inconsistent, because the sweat is basically causing a short circuit for the strap. So getting noisy data after 4 km of running with a cotton shirt could be a result of this type of problem.

With synthetic fabrics, it is more common to have noisy data at the beginning of a run, when the shirt fabric is dry and the HRM electrodes do not have very good contact with the skin. However, synthetic fabrics usually wick sweat well enough to prevent sweat bridging from happening. I wanted to see the graph from your first run to see when the noise occurred in the HR graph.

ALVADOM
09-17-2009, 04:56 PM
agree. I understand now. is that I am Spanish and do not drive very well English. Here you have the coach of the day 13 with synthetic shirt. as you see the noise also emphasized in the second half of the race

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/9927/dibujokc.jpg

T_SMIT
09-18-2009, 08:46 AM
Which heart rate strap do you have? The all-plastic one (says HRM1B on the back) or the one that has thin cloth and rubber electrodes (says HRM2-SS on the back of the center module)?

If you open the unit to do a battery replacement, look very carefully at the battery contacts to see if there is any evidence of corrosion. If sweat was wicking into the electronics during your run then it could cause this kind of noise.

All I can suggest at this point is to keep using it, log your data, and if the symptoms persist then you need to contact Garmin Customer Support, because this is not expected behavior.

LENT.CHAPPLE
09-26-2009, 06:38 AM
I posted with a similar problem before I found this thread. Link below.

Basically, high HR data on bike at start of session.
Gel didn't solve the problem but I'll try using it more liberally!
I'll also try dampening the shirt before I start (I didn't get the problem when I'd just done a swim stage on a Tri!)

https://forums.garmin.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=10753

T_SMIT
09-26-2009, 08:47 AM
Don't overdo the gel... you don't want to create a conductive bridge between the electrode pads. Dampening your shirt will probably work pretty well, or else try an antistatic sheet for a spin dryer.

DUCHUNTER
09-26-2009, 01:23 PM
So I get this problem too. My heart rate cycling with the cloth strap will be 115bpm, then jump to 248bpm, then back down. On rides I have seen a heart rate of Zone 7.5?? I thought it was firmware 2.9, which I loaded on my 705 recently. Then I thought it was the Bluetooth of my cell phone creating false signals. Neither of these seems to be the issue. When I use my older plastic strap there is no issue at all. Then I found this thread.

So too much sweat can cause a continuous bridge across the electrodes (snaps) and cause this. Ok? Then why did it do it at the very start of rides? And too much sweat, um have you ever tried riding in Florida in the summer, you SWEAT! IF this is, in fact, a problem, then it might be design related. How can you swim/do a tri and not have it get too wet?

Flapping? So does that only affect the cloth HR strap or both? At this point I love to comfort of the new style strap, and it worked fine for a month. But now I am sitting here the night before an event pondering which one to wear. That and the very inconstant reading with the new strap have my very disappointed.

SAEEDI
09-26-2009, 05:14 PM
At this point I love to comfort of the new style strap, and it worked fine for a month. But now I am sitting here the night before an event pondering which one to wear. That and the very inconstant reading with the new strap have my very disappointed.

I start seeing erratic and high HR readings which tells me it's time to wash the soft strap. I will use a mild or hypoallergenic laundry soap in the sink with lukewarm water washing it by hand. All erratic readings go away.

MICHEL_GARMIN
09-27-2009, 05:11 AM
Hello you all,
I've got the same fluctuating HR-problem as described earlier in this forum. I didn't have the problem before upgrading to SW2.60 mid September. I have my device since the beginning of August and had no problems with the HR-monitoring till that last update. I'm always wearing the same type of clothes, I always run in the same environment, never had this with my Polar device.
The strange thing is that the problems occur after 1 hour (or more) of running. The HR jumps to 226bpm and from that time on starts working incorrectly,(goes down to 145, up186, up200,down160,... and so on). This is very frustrating as I mostly run within specific HR-zones. As a consequence, averages after the workout aren't correct and give me a very bad feeling. Also, I'm not able to correct this uploaded wrong data on the garmin-website.
When I read in this forum that the problem might be related to clothing I really get anxious about running in wintertime when I will wear several levels of clothing.
From my opinion it's a software problem as I didn't have it before SW2.60.
Does anybody else have a similar problem to my case and if possible a solution?
thx, Michel

T_SMIT
09-27-2009, 07:35 PM
<snip>
Neither of these seems to be the issue. When I use my older plastic strap there is no issue at all. Then I found this thread.

So too much sweat can cause a continuous bridge across the electrodes (snaps) and cause this. Ok? Then why did it do it at the very start of rides? And too much sweat, um have you ever tried riding in Florida in the summer, you SWEAT! IF this is, in fact, a problem, then it might be design related. How can you swim/do a tri and not have it get too wet?

Flapping? So does that only affect the cloth HR strap or both? At this point I love to comfort of the new style strap, and it worked fine for a month. But now I am sitting here the night before an event pondering which one to wear. That and the very inconstant reading with the new strap have my very disappointed.

From what I've seen, jersey flapping affects many heart rate straps including the other brands, and I've had it happen with the older Garmin strap as well as the new cloth strap. It's almost always speed related as well as being more common at the start of a ride.

Sweat bridging is a completely different issue but what you see on the display is pretty similar. The reason why sweat is a problem is that it's far more conductive than plain water. This is also why you will have to wash your cloth strap periodically. As Saeedi says, use the mildest soap you can, and don't machine wash it.

Make sure your cloth strap is staying in adjustment. If the strap loosens up then it may start to move around on you (especially at the start of a ride) and give poor readings.

SKIERZ2
09-28-2009, 01:49 PM
I am getting the same exact results as Alvadom. Tried a cotton shirt and about 1/2 hour into the run my HR slowly moved up (happen in Bellevue, WA where I begin sweating faster than my normal CO). I did try moving the shirt away from the band and the HR went back to a reasonable number again, but as soon as I put it back the number would go beyond reasonable.

I have not tried Electrode Gel, nor Cleaning, nor Anti-Static spray, but at this point I am getting frustrated and would like an easy option.

As I said earlier in the thread, I did have this problem with my Polar 625SX, but not as consistently and not as dramatically, and most of that I believe was related to outside signals, not anything related to static and such.

Does anybody have this problem with the cheaper chest strap? I am willing to trade accuracy for comfort.

RVDOWNING
09-30-2009, 08:00 AM
I have the same issue. I think it was worse yesterday, for the second half of a 10k training run. It was also a day with very low humidity (for Georgia). I sprayed the inside of my technical shirt with StaticGuard, but the second half of my run still looks like a profile of the Alps.

I am kind of giving up on the new HRM. I paired up my 310XT with my old 305's HRM last night and will give that a try. I'm in taper mode for the Chicago Marathon. Today is a rest day, tomorrow 'll only do 5k, next day SRD and a 5k race the day after that. So, my next longer run will be on Sunday. I'll post back after that run regarding how the older HRM did.

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
09-30-2009, 02:22 PM
Hello you all,

When I read in this forum that the problem might be related to clothing I really get anxious about running in wintertime when I will wear several levels of clothing.

thx, Michel
I t did happen before 2.60.
We're just coming out of winter now and I see more instances of fluctuating HR at the start than in winter, so probably less concern as winter approaches for you. That's because I wear less and looser clothing. I do know which shirts are worse than others now and try to wear tighter fitting, less flappy shirts. This was always the case with the FR 305 and Edge 305 too,

I have a friend who swears by honey under the strap. Uses Manuka honey as it has microbacterial properties, but any natural honey might do. Not tried that yet. Could be interesting especially as we are now starting to do more training outside now. Being chased by a swarm of bees could do a lot for overal pace and speed imprvements :D

RVDOWNING
10-05-2009, 08:28 AM
I showed the HRM to an electrical engineer friend of mine at work and he thought the engineering was poor. The electrodes are smooth which allows for minuscule sideways motion which, with a technical shirt, causes enough static electricity to overwhelm the signal. The older HRM had vertical ridges which prevented this.

For both of the following runs, I used sprayed StaticGuard on the inside of my shirt, front and back, and also used BuhBump heart rate monitor gel on the electrodes.

I ran a 5k race two days ago with the older HRM which produced a
perfect graph with no random fluctuations. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/15152046

(Sorry, I can't upload images from work, and it looks like the html links don't work right either.)

I ran a 10 mile training run yesterday with the new HRM, and the graph is a mess. My max heart for this run was probably around 120, yet the graph shows 140. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/15305051

Needless to say, max heart rate becomes a meaningless number. I have the Chicago Marathon this coming Sunday and want accurate data. So, I'll be using the old HRM from now on.

Funny thing is, that the newer HRM is actually more expensive, although it performs poorly.

SKIERZ2
10-05-2009, 05:18 PM
I did a run today for 1:40 using Heart Rate Zone Intervals and my strap worked well. All I had to do was dampen the front of the shirt and then wiped a fabric softner sheet on the inside on the damp part of the shirt.

My HR data was really very accurate and I smelled very fresh (at least for the first part of the run).

I think I am going to buy the old model strap, seems to be the better option.

MELZORRO
10-07-2009, 08:57 AM
For both of the following runs, I used sprayed StaticGuard on the inside of my shirt, front and back, and also used BuhBump heart rate monitor gel on the electrodes.

Do you have any experience in which solution works the best?
StaticGuard / BuhBump?

RVDOWNING
10-07-2009, 10:58 AM
I do both, but for different reasons. The StaticGuard is to try to reduce the static caused by my shirt rubbing on my skin, since I always run in "technical" (polyester) shirts. The BuhBump is to try to ensure a solid connection between the electrodes and my chest.

In the summer when it was hot and there was lots of humidity, I didn't use either. But I didn't see any graphs of my heart rate. I can only say that I didn't see any spikes while I was running.

SKIERZ2
10-07-2009, 07:48 PM
Ran last night and tried to do an interval workout. I dampend my shirt, rubbed the anti-static cling, freshner on the my shirt (Technical), ran for 25 minutes on the treadmill and my HR went from 135 (at min 25)to 145 (min 26) to 175 (min 27) at the same speed.

Could not finish the run as my watch was having a fit with vibrations and noises. Got on a stationary bike as was able to workout in the HR Zones without a problem.

Today, I went on EBay and ordered the "cheaper" HR Strap. I am hoping it is "better".

Will let you know.

RVDOWNING
10-13-2009, 01:37 PM
I ran the Chicago Marathon with a synthetic shirt and the old heart rate monitor. I applied Static Guard to the inside of my shirt, and used BuhBump on the strap. The graph looks perfect for all 26.2 miles.

KAFOLSKE
10-13-2009, 04:24 PM
Mine just started doing this. At about 25 minutes into each run, my heart rate goes from 160's to the 220's.

I am bummed. I should have kept my old strap. All this fabric softener/honey/gel is a little ridiculous.

SKIERZ2
10-18-2009, 06:04 PM
I received my Non-Premium HRM strap the other day and have used it twice on fairly long runs with no spiking or mysterious HR numbers. Both times I wore a technical shirt.

I believe this means you can use this lower cost strap with no fuss and no mess or added time to use static guard, or electrode gel, or honey.

One note for those of you looking for HR Straps, I went to three big bike shops and REI and they do not carry alot of Garmin accessories. I would suggest going to Amazon or EBay. I paid $39.00 and received the strap in 4 days.

RUKIDDIN
10-18-2009, 09:48 PM
I too am experiencing the same problem, and would like to get it resolved before the Las Vegas Marathon December 6th. However, since I paid for the "Premium" heart rate monitor, I'd either like one that works, or at least be offered the less expensive solution.

Here's a training (3 x 6 mile repeats) run I did today, with the Max heart rate jumping to 240 in the beginning, then settling down, but you can see a couple of 180 readings on the graph later in the run. Either way, my graph doesn't look nearly as clean as some of the others that have been posted here.. I doubt my heart rate is jumping around as much as it shows in the graph (even if you throw out the 2 spikes and the initial 240 reading.)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/16654834

T_SMIT
10-19-2009, 08:48 AM
I too am experiencing the same problem, and would like to get it resolved before the Las Vegas Marathon December 6th. However, since I paid for the "Premium" heart rate monitor, I'd either like one that works, or at least be offered the less expensive solution.

Here's a training (3 x 6 mile repeats) run I did today, with the Max heart rate jumping to 240 in the beginning, then settling down, but you can see a couple of 180 readings on the graph later in the run. Either way, my graph doesn't look nearly as clean as some of the others that have been posted here.. I doubt my heart rate is jumping around as much as it shows in the graph (even if you throw out the 2 spikes and the initial 240 reading.)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/16654834

I looked at the graph... the initial high-heart-rate period is longer than what usually happens, but it looks like it settles down pretty well after that. The one spike at 1:06 looks like an artifact but the high point at about 1:30 coincides with your pace jumping down to 4:40 per mile - if you put on a burst of speed I'd expect your heart rate to go up during or afterwards.

The 'cleanness' of the data is a very individual thing, and if you're in good shape then your heart rate can vary very quickly as your body responds to changes in incline or speed.

After you first put a heart rate strap on, it takes a couple of minutes for the heart signal that a HRM strap receives to stabilize. During this interval it's not uncommon for the strap to detect extra beats, or for it to be affected by your stride rate or arm motions. This happens with any heart rate strap including the one-piece plastic straps. You can minimize the effect by making sure that the strap electrodes are properly positioned, have some moisture between the skin and the electrodes, and that the belt is adjusted so that it's snug.

Lastly, if you find that the HRM gives you issues for the first 10 or 15 minutes after you put it on - then you could put it on early, so that it gets a good chance to get set before your race starts.

PAULFDUNN
10-19-2009, 11:05 AM
I too was having the problems described in this thread. My HR data was always inconsistent the first 5-15 minutes running, but no problems on the bike. (Clarification - While cycling I have had problems with every HR monitor I have ever owned, and I have had many, if the jersey flaps in the wind; this unit is no different in that regard.) I noticed that as the mornings were getting colder (I run in the morning), the amount of time it took to get good readings was taking longer. This lead me to suspect the battery being weak.

I replaced my battery, and I have had 4 straight runs without ANY problems. Same clothes, same conditions otherwise.

So my takeaway is that this problem can indicate that you need a new battery. I don't know why this is the case on a unit that is only about 1 month old. I used to just disconnect one side of the strap from the electronic unit, but now I am fully disconnecting the strap. I hope that either this was a bad battery to begin with, or user error in not disconnecting both ends of the strap from the electronics when not working out.

T_SMIT
10-19-2009, 12:06 PM
I replaced my battery, and I have had 4 straight runs without ANY problems. Same clothes, same conditions otherwise.

So my takeaway is that this problem can indicate that you need a new battery. I don't know why this is the case on a unit that is only about 1 month old. I used to just disconnect one side of the strap from the electronic unit, but now I am fully disconnecting the strap. I hope that either this was a bad battery to begin with, or user error in not disconnecting both ends of the strap from the electronics when not working out.

The battery life ought to be much longer than a month even if you were wearing the strap 24/7. Either there is a problem with the batteries being supplied, or your current usage (unsnapping both sides etc.) eliminates a problem with intermittent contact from the electrodes.
It might be that when you snap and unsnap the contacts regularly, you effectively wipe away accumulated crud from the snap posts, and this improves the connection. You may want to occasionally apply a drop of baby oil to each of the snap posts, to keep the snap post from fretting on the wire spring in the strap. If you see accumulated residue inside the snap post receivers on the strap, then clean that out using a Q-tip and water.

PAULFDUNN
10-19-2009, 12:53 PM
It might be that when you snap and unsnap the contacts regularly, you effectively wipe away accumulated crud from the snap posts, and this improves the connection.

I do not believe this is the case, as several times I removed both connections, cleaned the belt and electronics. Also, while running and having issues, I tried unplugging both ends of the belt and re-connecting.

I am pretty sure the battery is the issue... At least in my case.

KAFOLSKE
10-26-2009, 08:40 AM
follow my heart problem with the band. I tested with a 100% cotton shirt and my problem remains. the funny thing is happening in the second half of my career about 8 kilometers. attached a picture to see him for yourself

My workout this morning looks exactly the same. I have tried everything. Different types of shirts. Different routes. Changing the battery. Washing in mild detergent, etc.

-Keith

PAULFDUNN
10-26-2009, 04:51 PM
Update on my belief that changing the battery resolved my issues. About 2-3 days later, erratic HR readings were back; including sometimes getting "--". I had about 3 workouts in a row (over 1 hour each) with zero accurate HR values.

In trying different things to resolve the problem, I heard a "click" once as I moved the band around. I think it was the spring in the snap, and the spring had become stuck, then released. (I had always noticed that the strap was quite hard to unsnap; meaning that the springs in the snaps were either stiff or sticking.) So I put some mineral oil on the snaps (ON THE BELT), and worked the oil in by snapping and unsnapping several times. The belt is much easier to fasten and unfasten now...

Now I have gone four days (2-3 workouts a day, total time of about 17 hours working out) with zero issues. I think the springs in the snaps were sticking, preventing solid electrical contact.

SKIERZ2
11-01-2009, 08:19 PM
Several workouts later I have not had one problem with the non-premium HR strap. I can tell no difference in comfort. I think if you do not want to tinker around you should just buy the less expensive strap.

ARITIDHAR
11-12-2009, 06:23 AM
So many people have the same problem and I see no reaction from Garmin's side.
I had the 405 with the standard heart rate monitor and I upgraded to the XT310 with the soft strap a few weeks ago.
Since then, I get this same problem every run.
After my shirt gets wet from sweat (and I sweat a lot :rolleyes:) ), the fluctuation starts. And it stops, only when I pull the shirt off the heart rate.
I had never had this problem with any of the sport watches I had and I had at least 4 different models.
I wash the strap after each run with cold water and sometimes with a mild detergent. But I don't think that telling us to wear certain closes or apply a jel to the electrodes, is a sensible solution.
I am too, willing to buy the old strap by now, but I think Garmin has to give the solution, or replace those straps.

I sure hope that Garmin comes soon with a solution.

Fly low;),
Ari

ONCELER
11-12-2009, 01:57 PM
I have used the HR strap with my 310xt many times since mid-summer and have only run into this problem twice. Both times, I was about 1/4 mile into a run on cool, dry days so sweat was not an issue. But when the problem occurred, I noticed that the back of the strap had slid a couple inches down from where it normally is on my back. After sliding the back of the HR strap to where it usually sits, the heart rate numbers quickly returned to normal and remained normal for the remainder of both runs. I should point out that the front of the strap remained in the same location that it normally is--it was only the back of the strap that slid down slightly.

It's always hard to say for certain what the solution is for such problems since everyone has slightly different experiences. But for those still having trouble with this, it might be worth trying to alter the strap position to see if that solves anything.

M99FIGHTER
11-12-2009, 07:07 PM
I had this very high hr issue this morning. Old time 305 owner but new 310xt with hr. haha

I stopped and wet the contacts of the hrm with water. It didnt fluctuate after than and actually fit better due to it being wet. I remember it being at no. 2 of teh instruction manual which we rarely really read. :-)

KAFOLSKE
11-13-2009, 10:42 AM
After my shirt gets wet from sweat (and I sweat a lot :rolleyes:) ), the fluctuation starts. And it stops, only when I pull the shirt off the heart rate.

This is starting to make sense. I didn't have any problems initially. Once the cold weather came to town and I have to wear more clothes, the problem started.

I think that a wet shirt is what is causing the fluctuations.

RRUUNN
11-14-2009, 12:22 PM
ALVADOM,

I'm sorry to hear that's happening.

What type of activity are you doing when this occurs, such as biking or running? Also, have you tried wearing a tighter shirt? If so, did this make any difference.

Are you using our regular heart rate monitor, or our new premium soft strap heart rate monitor?

-Damon-

I also have this exact same issue. I've been running and biking with a garmin 405cx for ages and the HR monitor literally never missed a beat. It was perfect.

Recently I upgraded to the 310xt as I was sick of not being able to use the bezel on the watch as it gets soaked with sweat when i run.

Anyway, the 310xt is the business - I love it, but it came with the "new premium soft strap heart rate monitor". Since I've been using the 310xt with this new chest strap my heart rate readings have been all over the place. I can no longer rely on them at all. Today I was running along at a pace that I know generally gives me a heart rate of 155bpm, and this was shown correctly on the 310xt. Then, without me changing my pace at all, it jumped up to 186bpm, then back down to the correct 155bpm after I moved the strap a bit. This has been going on ever since I got the kit. I even had it report once that my heart was beating at 205bpm when I was running along at a fairly easy pace (MY HEART CAN'T EVEN BEAT AT 205BPM :D).

Anyway, in an effort to fix this I just got out my old strap that came with the 405 cx and paired it. For the moment it is giving me steady readings as I go about the house, but I've yet to test it while training. It had better work!

If the problem is only with the "new premium soft strap heart rate monitor" then I'm not bothered. The old strap is perfectly comfy anyway. However, if the problem is with the 310xt I will be very very unhappy indeed. :mad:

Does anyone know if it is just the new strap that causes this problem.

Incidentally, I run (or bike) with wicking fabric t-shirts next to the garmin strap. I also have an ipod when I'm running and the headphone cable hangs down inside my t-shirt next to the chest strap. I don't know if the ipod cable could be causing a problem with the new strap (interference or something).

Once I've checked if the problem is fixed with the old strap I'll try to remember to post back and let people know, but if anyone could shed some light on this please get back to me.

Thanks

<<edit>> I've now read this whole thread. It does look like the problem is with the new strap and not the watch. I certainly hope so.

Like I said before I'll post back when I know for sure. It better work. I want to get back to reliable heart rate readings.

Garmin people - you charge a lot of money for these devices, and I don't grudge paying it as they are superb. I couldn't be without them now. But please fully test your products before releasing them. I could have bought the 310xt without the strap and saved a bit of money it seems.

MTNSUMMIT
11-14-2009, 09:31 PM
Bottom line - my HR monitor (new soft one) started to spike on runs, then became useless - same shirts worn when worknig correclty. Couple of weeks back and forth with Garmin touble shooting, trying all stuff - still no good, They finally said get receipt, send us strap, they will replace. Called REI where I bought, they said just bring watvh and monitor back to them ,they can replace on spot - did so, new HR monitr and watch, same clothes, no problems now. Sorry Garmin but this HR monitor went bad - after only a couple of months. Love the watch, bad bad for so much money and people having problems - you guys gotta make it right for $400.

HERSHDOG
11-16-2009, 02:36 PM
agreed, maybe some smart guys at Garmin can spend a few extra minutes engineering a strap that doesn't require wearing honey or requires hand washing like silk panties after every workout. If i'm going to pay a premium price for a consumer electronics, please make it work effortlessly like the smart guys at Apple do.

M99FIGHTER
11-18-2009, 11:08 AM
I use utrasound gel on the contact. I put it on where the strap will touch my chest. It works fine, no spikes.

DUFFMANII
11-21-2009, 01:52 PM
I have recently converted to the 310XT because I've heard great things about the battery life, weight, and overall ability/hype related to the advances over the 305. I have run with it 5 times in the past 2 weeks and have not had one run where my heart rate readings after about 30 minutes has not gone bad with all the spikes and inconsistent/erroneous data recordings. I too am 100% frustrated that I can not run/train in my heart rate zones in preparation for my 1/2 marathon in AZ. I have never had performance issues like this with my 305 or the old strap no matter the temperature, weather (rain, humidity, snow), conditions (inside or outside), sport (triathlon, hiking, biking, working out in the gym, etc.), or the clothing I've worn. I can not believe that I'm wearing the new strap wrong as I'm wearing it the same way I wear my old strap and have not issues with my 305 getting clean data. I'm very perplexed that Garmin has not done something about this given the number of complaints and issues related to their new and highly priced product. I'd call this item (the new HRM strap) a recall worthy item given the issues. My local bike shop has tried to help, but replacing the watch has not solved the problem and I'm not about to jump on the honey or static guard/fabric softener and shirt wetting bandwagon when that seems like way too much of a burden for a product we're paying so much for performing properly right out of the box (it would be part of the manual if it was really designed that way wouldn't it???).

I am hoping that Garmin has something to say about this to fix a technical issue for many of their loyal users and new converts due to the promises of this watch and HRM strap. I'd love to love this watch they way I love my 305, but maybe I just need to return the whole thing and go back to what works.

DJBSTEELE
11-21-2009, 03:13 PM
Hi Ari,

I feel your pain! I have tried the licking it part (yuck) and thought it worked. I even thought it was my Audi car keys in the jacket pocket. Then I read to put the monitor on your back rather than across your chest! I have a sunken chest (poor me) and thought that the gap was the issue. I then changed the batteries and the problem went away. It came back just two weeks ago, so it lasted from July - Nov. Now, the problem I get is always in the first 0.8 mile of a run. I have never had it during an event (biking or running). It seems like some sort of settling time Garmin has in its device. It did not matter if it was warm, hot, cold, raining, sunny, windy, easy start, hard start, etc. It just happens, no pattern, no warning. I have a friend in Oz (female) whom has the same issue and she has tried the smallest strap, still no improvement.

Rgds,

David

ARITIDHAR
11-22-2009, 01:50 AM
is not the flactuation at the begining of the run, as by getting the strap wet solves this problem. Rather the flactuation that comes after my shirt gets wet. This is probably caused because of the wet shirt hitting against the strap.
I have just ordered a new standard heart rate monitor. And I sure hope it solves the problem. I had a corespondance with Garmin support and they did not help me with that.
I have a few consecutive malfunctions with my new 310XT. I also lost a file of my last Triathlon, which was the first one I recorded on my Garmin. I usually compete with just a stop watch.
So not a very good first impression of the 310 for me :(
Nonetheless, I still love the watch.

Ari

HILLPRINTS
11-22-2009, 06:33 PM
I have had the exact same problem as you have had! When I called over and over they explained to me that I was the only one who had experianced this problem. As you I had no problems with my HR monitor before the software update, and now continue to have problems. When I called the third time I asked for my watch to be replaced. They agree to send me another at my expense. I have now gotten the new one, went out yesterday and biked everything was fine. Took it out today and not even 30 minutes into my workout the HR monitor was spiking once again. If you find out anything either please let me know this is truly getting rediculus especially when you are trying to train by HR.

ARITIDHAR
11-23-2009, 01:39 AM
I think it is the soft strap and not the watch.
BTW, they also told me it not a common isuue!!!:mad:

Here is the answer I got:
Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.

Thank you for your email i will be happy to help with this.

Normally if you get a problem like that then it is always down to the
material used of the running shirt. We very occasionally get this
question and normally suggest trying a different type of shirt. Apart
from this there's not anything that we would be able to suggest. As this
isn't a common issue.

Hope this helps.

If there is anything else I can help you with then please let me know.
Alternatively you can search for a solution on our forum: https://forums.garmin.com
or our online knowledge database here: http://www.garmin.co.uk/support

Kind regards,....

:confused::(:mad:

SJSTRAW
11-23-2009, 06:48 AM
Same problem here. Take a look at the attached file here. This is from today's run. I have many more just like it. There is no way I get my BPM up to 235+.

As a matter of interest, are we all talking about the SOFT strap (as packaged with the 310xt) and not the hard strap that is packaged with the 405cx? I'd be interested to see if this is occurring to anyone with the hard strap.

I've even seen it in the 250's as well (as can be seem here ---> https://forums.garmin.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=908&d=1258422243)

Today's run.

RVDOWNING
11-24-2009, 07:18 AM
Both straps have a problem with static electricity, but the newer one is much worse. One of my friends at work who is an electrical engineer took a look at the newer one and thought the design was rather poor. The lack of those vertical ridges (like the older one has) allows for minuscule horizontal movement leading to additional static electricity in addition to the usual interference caused by the vertical movement of the shirt against the chest. I no longer use the newer one. I ran the Philly marathon this past Sunday with the older HRM and had no problems.

BCHICKS23
11-27-2009, 11:13 PM
I have a 310 with the premium heart rate monitor. It worked fine for the first 5 weeks, but has been near worthless since (past 2 months). Just had time to search the forum for answers, as I've been pretty busy and am disappointed with the results I have found. I will contact garmin about this and see what can be done. They should recall this strap and give us something that works. My buddy has the same watch/strap and is experiencing the same issue.

https://forums.garmin.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=959&d=1259385144

MVLAING
11-28-2009, 07:12 AM
Interesting- I've been having the same problem as described- everything was OK until a few weeks ago, and then the HR recordings started to go crazy. The attached is from a race I ran Thursday morning- my max HR is high (around 200), but not this high. I'm going to try a run today with my old 305 strap to see if I can isolate the problem.

Garmin, you're really dropping the ball on these 310 problems! Not that I'm the least bit surprised, mind you...

[edited to add...]
Reading this tread a little closer, I see that several people have solved the problem by going back to their old HR strap- looks like that's what I'll be doing for good. If I was working for Garmin and reading this thread, I'd be really, really worried right now about this product. Looks like this is a physical problem with the soft strap, and not something that a software update is going to be able to fix.

BCHICKS23
11-28-2009, 11:18 AM
I have emailed support an am awaiting a reply. Interestingly, on the form that one fills out to email support, when selecting "into sports," there is no way to select a product group, as nothing is listed, therefore one can not properly select the forerunner 310. Therefore, I'm not sure my support request will make it to the proper department, so we will see if it gets forwarded to the correct people. This is very frustrating.

T_SMIT
11-28-2009, 12:57 PM
There is one thing about the soft strap that the hard strap has less of an issue with - it occasionally requires maintenance. The following things help to make sure your soft strap keeps working as best as possible:
- Unsnap the module from the strap, and soak the strap in some cold or lukewarm water for a while. Some light rubbing will help to get accumulated sweat and gunk out of the fabric. Blot it with a towel and then let it air dry.
- Use a Q-tip to clean the inside of the contact snaps. Have a good look at the snaps to see if maybe they're coming loose, or if the spring wires are bent so they don't provide proper retention force to the module
- If there is any crud on the modulee contacts then wipe them with a soft dry cloth or a Q-tip.
- It may help to put a drop of light machine oil or baby oil on the contact snaps.

I know that this is much more work than the hard strap required, but it's a tradeoff for the soft strap being more comfortable to wear.

M99FIGHTER
11-29-2009, 07:35 AM
I think it is the soft strap and not the watch.
BTW, they also told me it not a common isuue!!!:mad:

Here is the answer I got:
Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.

Thank you for your email i will be happy to help with this.

Normally if you get a problem like that then it is always down to the
material used of the running shirt. We very occasionally get this
question and normally suggest trying a different type of shirt. Apart
from this there's not anything that we would be able to suggest. As this
isn't a common issue.

Hope this helps.

If there is anything else I can help you with then please let me know.
Alternatively you can search for a solution on our forum: https://forums.garmin.com
or our online knowledge database here: http://www.garmin.co.uk/support

Kind regards,....

:confused::(:mad:

I have this shirt that caused the same problem. Now using my hr soft strap with ultrasound gel, it no longer get the high readings and fluctuations. My shirt is not skin tight though.

I just squirt on the soft strap just enough to to cover it then I wear it on my chest. It has been working well for me.

BAMBAATA83
12-03-2009, 04:58 PM
I have emailed support an am awaiting a reply. Interestingly, on the form that one fills out to email support, when selecting "into sports," there is no way to select a product group, as nothing is listed, therefore one can not properly select the forerunner 310. Therefore, I'm not sure my support request will make it to the proper department, so we will see if it gets forwarded to the correct people. This is very frustrating.

i have this very same problem which to me seems hints at they dont want to hear about it. i have these same issues and am beginning to think ill be going polar. at first i recommended the watch to a few friends. 2 of them bought it and now i look like an idiot. i haven't had an issue free run in about a month now. it makes the watch only good for mapping and pace but at that price that's a big let down. something will have to give here or the 310 will disappear into the mist. I've since apologised to my friends as they have the very same problem.

To add ive tried all the "solutions" listed and it still doesn't work. I mean do i need to run topless. Its at freezing point here!! Its a bit pathetic that they supply a strap that they recommend should be used with technical t's. I mean what did they test this on! A shirtless ape?? Seems like there wasn't any testing to me and to claim its a rare issue as one person had said to them from support is a joke. Everyone i know who has this (6 or so people) has this issue so it has a 100% strike rate around here.

So come on Garmin get the finger out design a proper strap and recall these pathetic straps which rarely work.

RRUUNN
12-04-2009, 12:09 PM
I also have this exact same issue. I've been running and biking with a garmin 405cx for ages and the HR monitor literally never missed a beat. It was perfect.

Recently I upgraded to the 310xt as I was sick of not being able to use the bezel on the watch as it gets soaked with sweat when i run.

Anyway, the 310xt is the business - I love it, but it came with the "new premium soft strap heart rate monitor". Since I've been using the 310xt with this new chest strap my heart rate readings have been all over the place. I can no longer rely on them at all. Today I was running along at a pace that I know generally gives me a heart rate of 155bpm, and this was shown correctly on the 310xt. Then, without me changing my pace at all, it jumped up to 186bpm, then back down to the correct 155bpm after I moved the strap a bit. This has been going on ever since I got the kit. I even had it report once that my heart was beating at 205bpm when I was running along at a fairly easy pace (MY HEART CAN'T EVEN BEAT AT 205BPM :D).

Anyway, in an effort to fix this I just got out my old strap that came with the 405 cx and paired it. For the moment it is giving me steady readings as I go about the house, but I've yet to test it while training. It had better work!

If the problem is only with the "new premium soft strap heart rate monitor" then I'm not bothered. The old strap is perfectly comfy anyway. However, if the problem is with the 310xt I will be very very unhappy indeed. :mad:

Does anyone know if it is just the new strap that causes this problem.

Incidentally, I run (or bike) with wicking fabric t-shirts next to the garmin strap. I also have an ipod when I'm running and the headphone cable hangs down inside my t-shirt next to the chest strap. I don't know if the ipod cable could be causing a problem with the new strap (interference or something).

Once I've checked if the problem is fixed with the old strap I'll try to remember to post back and let people know, but if anyone could shed some light on this please get back to me.

Thanks

<<edit>> I've now read this whole thread. It does look like the problem is with the new strap and not the watch. I certainly hope so.

Like I said before I'll post back when I know for sure. It better work. I want to get back to reliable heart rate readings.

Garmin people - you charge a lot of money for these devices, and I don't grudge paying it as they are superb. I couldn't be without them now. But please fully test your products before releasing them. I could have bought the 310xt without the strap and saved a bit of money it seems.

I said I would post back once I knew for sure.

I sent the new strap back and got a refund for it. The old strap works perfectly. Totally stable readings 100% of the time whether I am running or biking. Does not matter how much I sweat or how much I am soaked with rain. Old strap is rock solid - new strap is ...........not too impressive at all ;)

Don't touch this new strap with a 10 foot pole.

What are you up to Garmin??? :confused:

ANDERSJANS
12-04-2009, 01:25 PM
I have never had any problems with the new soft strap, and I have been using it almost daily since 3 months. Before each training I SUBMERGE the strap in water (the whole strap, not just the electrodes). I think that will prevent a lot of static electricity. It works very well for me.

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
01-16-2010, 09:04 PM
Not really had any issues with the new soft strap, apart from the occasional starting out problems. However, while running in an event yesterday my heart rate was recorded significantly higher than it actually was for a large part of the run.
This is the activity http://connect.garmin.com/activity/22514806
I'm guessing this happened because my running shirt was soaked with water. It was a hot day and as a result I was tipping a couple of cups of water over my head to keep cool at each aid station.

Out running today and the results were consistent with the activity level -
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/22514794 as there was no water being splashed anywhere.

MELZORRO
01-17-2010, 07:34 AM
This week all of a sudden I started having heart rates from 180 and over 200 BPM.

Until this week never had real 'problems' apart from occasional spikes.
The weather over here is cold so I wear thermo shirts, but this isn't the first time I was wearing these clothes.

I'm thinking there may be other problems, bad band contacts, battery, .. any other ideas are welcome. I will surely try anti-static spray.

RRUUNN
01-17-2010, 10:00 AM
This week all of a sudden I started having heart rates from 180 and over 200 BPM.

Until this week never had real 'problems' apart from occasional spikes.
The weather over here is cold so I wear thermo shirts, but this isn't the first time I was wearing these clothes.

I'm thinking there may be other problems, bad band contacts, battery, .. any other ideas are welcome. I will surely try anti-static spray.

If I were you I'd get the older version. Any HR strap that spikes, is in my opinion, useless. Garmin Connect now shows my max heart rate ever achieved as 202bpm, which is annoying as my heart can't beat that fast.

My older version is 100% reliable.

When I contacted the people I bought it from and told them of the problem (and sent them a link to this thread) they replaced it with the older strap and refunded the difference. Great customer service! :D

BILLBUNTON
01-17-2010, 07:14 PM
If I were you I'd get the older version. Any HR strap that spikes, is in my opinion, useless. Garmin Connect now shows my max heart rate ever achieved as 202bpm, which is annoying as my heart can't beat that fast.

Is that all? Try 228bpm! I went for months with very little problem (just the occasional fluctuations while riding, nothing amazingly high or low). Then all of a sudden I had a couple runs and a ride with really high heart rates reported, including 228bpm at one point. I switched back to my old strap, and all the weirdness is gone.

MARCGRAVELINE
01-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Am I ever happy I found this thread. This HRM has been driving me nuts. It works perfectly fine for 30 minutes then boom, it goes all over the place.

Today a nice easy constant pace run, HR was at 151, then boom 183 within seconds.

Is this problem something Garmin acknowledges ?

OPG4759
02-06-2010, 09:50 AM
I have the older strap and I had my 405cx show my hitting a HR of 245, then it just stopped displaying HRM on the 405cx. So thinking the battery might have just died.

Once I got home I opened the battery case and the battery was black. It had been shorting out due to sweat working it's way into the battery compartment. I had to dry the compartment out and wipe it down with alcohol to dry it out. I'm now going to pop open the battery compartment after each use.

How hard would it have been for Garmin to engineer a o-ring on the battery cover like the Polar units have.

DW152
02-06-2010, 10:04 AM
How hard would it have been for Garmin to engineer a o-ring on the battery cover like the Polar units have.

There is supposed to be an o-ring on Garmin HRMs.

T_SMIT
02-06-2010, 10:13 AM
The HRM1B and HRM1G (the plastic hard strap) does have an O-ring on the battery opening. You should look closely at the door opening to see if the O-ring is actually there - it might be gunked up with old sweat or skin debris.

If the O-ring is there, then it might be that the plastic case is cracked or has a welding failure. If your strap is less than a year old and still under warranty then you should contact Garmin Customer service to see about a replacement.

T_SMIT
02-06-2010, 10:19 AM
Is that all? Try 228bpm! I went for months with very little problem (just the occasional fluctuations while riding, nothing amazingly high or low). Then all of a sudden I had a couple runs and a ride with really high heart rates reported, including 228bpm at one point. I switched back to my old strap, and all the weirdness is gone.
If your strap was working fine and suddenly develops strange behavior (and you want to continue using it) then try some or all of the following:

1. Inspect the snaps and the plastic endcaps on the electrode strap. If the snaps are loose, the snap wires are worn or bent, or the endcaps are cracked, then talk to Garmin Customer Service about a replacement.
2. Wash the strap in cool water to get accumulated sweat and gunk out.
3. Replace the battery. Having the heart rate go erroneously high during the middle or end of a run (as opposed to being suspiciously high at the start of a run and then settling down) may be caused by a low battery voltage.

DIGITALDINGUS
02-07-2010, 01:38 AM
My HRM said I had a BPM of 244 today. Hasn't done this before so I'm looking into just why it displayed this kind of info. No unusual attire, either.

KAFOLSKE
02-07-2010, 06:01 AM
My HRM said I had a BPM of 244 today. Hasn't done this before so I'm looking into just why it displayed this kind of info. No unusual attire, either.

Keep an eye on it. Mine just started misbehaving one day after I owned it for about 4 months.

I did everything I could. Washed it, replaced the battery, inspected the snaps, tried different types of shirts.

I went back to the old strap and have never had a problem.

T_SMIT
02-07-2010, 10:31 AM

An indicated heart rate of 244 can happen when the battery gets low. Try replacing the battery and see if the problem goes away.

DIGITALDINGUS
02-07-2010, 08:08 PM
An indicated heart rate of 244 can happen when the battery gets low. Try replacing the battery and see if the problem goes away.

I'm replacing the HRM battery (2032) with a new one right now. Hopefully that's the issue, but I wonder how much battery drain the HRM module has if it's just sitting without being connected to the strap.

T_SMIT
02-07-2010, 08:24 PM
I'm replacing the HRM battery (2032) with a new one right now. Hopefully that's the issue, but I wonder how much battery drain the HRM module has if it's just sitting without being connected to the strap.
At room temperature, it should be under 3 microamps. Note that the module keeps transmitting for two minutes after the last heartbeat is detected, and it keeps the internal amplifier enabled if it thinks there is skin-like contact between the two electrodes. This is why you shouldn't keep the strap in contact with damp workout gear or towels when you're not using it.

BIGSI999
02-08-2010, 04:11 AM
How do you get the HRM module apart to replace the battery?

T_SMIT
02-08-2010, 11:26 AM
Remove the four screws on the back of the module. When replacing the battery, push the cover back on by hand, then snug up the screws... it's best to thread the screws in so that you end up reusing the existing threads.

DATEZZ
02-14-2010, 02:57 PM
I have been using my 705 with the old style hard strap on my horse. There is a lot of activity in the cinch area where I placed the strap. I started getting weird readings and noticed that the junction where the flexible ends connect to the hard center piece were stretched. I took SuperGlue and dribbled it all around the joints and moved them around so the glue went in a little and pressed the joints closed. Left it to dry for 24hrs. That was months ago and I never get weird rates anymore except when the cinch gets too loose. I stop and tighten the cinch and no more weirdness.

I don't know if the stretched joints were the problem or if sealing the joints was what fixed it but it's fixed.

Some users thought sweat across the strap might be part of the problem but when training my horse has sweat literally pouring off the strap and cinch and the rates are steady.

BLAKJACK23
02-15-2010, 01:03 PM
Greetings everyone :) I have read nearly every posting dealing with the Fluctuations in the data and have learned a lot. Now let me explain my situation and maybe it will shed some light on yours as well.

I have had a FR 305 since 2007 with the older Stiff model of Heart rate monitor. I had not one issue with it until the Fall of 2009. Up until that point I ran in approximately 20 different states and varying Humidity and climates.... now mind you, always with the same cut off cotton T Shirt ( My favorite :rolleyes:) or no shirt at all... In the winter, it was UnderArmour. \

Now realize, I never once cleaned my heart rate monitor. and my runs were anywhere from 20 minutes to an Hour and half depending....

In the Fall of 2009, a near full 2 years of owning and using my Hr monitor, my battery died. Then after replacing the battery and calling Garmin....updating the programing on the watch, I have been having issues such as everyone else since then.

I have been spitting on the electrodes, and this helps a bit, but there are still unusual spikes that I know are abnormal. I am a very data driven individual and I can spot when something is amiss, after 2 years of looking at my Run Data that was dead on.

I have found recently, that my mp3 player cord, does in fact cause interference and have eliminated that problem ... The readings would drop to near 0 when my cord contacted the strap, I tested this theory over many runs.... I am still getting the spiking and erroneous readings though...

I am going to try using gel or honey and see how that helps, and have already cleaned the unit.

Thanks for all of you stories and advice. It saved me from calling and having a Meltdown on someone at Garmin....lol ( Just kidding )

Me Loves Me 305 ForeRunner more than anything, and I still highly promote it to anyone that asks me. :D

BISENHOUR
02-22-2010, 09:33 AM
Another thought to consider here that might exacerbate the issue is the fact that the sampling interval has changed in the latest 305 firmware upgrade. They went from the option to take one reading a second to a "smart interval" that varies depending on the speed. If the read interval becomes longer and for whatever reason a reading is dropped, then the overall impact is greater.

I know the 405 has huge intervals between readings. I've seen as much as 7 seconds in my data.

WOUALY
04-12-2010, 12:50 AM
Hello,
I have the same problem with my 310XT HR, I bought it in November 2009 and all went well, but since February, I have very irregular curves CF.
I cleaned up the belt connector with water, I put a new battery, but I still have the same problem.

Chart No. 1: With the newe battery, chart Ok until 30 minutes after the curve becomes irregular
http://yann.levasseur.free.fr/310XT/HS1.JPG

Chart No. 2 : From 10 minutes is bad, I'll be 210 bpm to 145bpm in 2 seconds!
http://yann.levasseur.free.fr/310XT/HS2.JPG

Chart No.3 : A correct curve of December 2009
http://yann.levasseur.free.fr/310XT/OK.JPG

What is the problem with the 310XT??

Woualy, Voila ©

SEBVTT
04-13-2010, 08:25 AM
Hello,
I have the same problem with my 310XT HR, I bought it in November 2009 and all went well, but since February, I have very irregular curves CF.
I cleaned up the belt connector with water, I put a new battery, but I still have the same problem.

What is the problem with the 310XT??

Woualy, Voila ©

I’ve got the same trouble than WOUALY, I bought my 310Xt in Oct, it work well 4 months, then I begin to have very irregular curves CF, I clean, change battery, change shirt. Still have trouble with me HR!!! :mad::mad:
Till first of March I use me 305 belt and it work well. :rolleyes:
So it's clearly the new belt who did not work!!! :(
Can Garmin do some think for US ???????

WOUALY
04-14-2010, 09:24 AM
I sent an email to customer service from Garmin, who asked me to dial up the SAV France, after a talk with a technician I must return my 310XT to SAV Garmin France :(

MADEUPNAME
04-16-2010, 10:11 AM
I sent an email to customer service from Garmin, who asked me to dial up the SAV France, after a talk with a technician I must return my 310XT to SAV Garmin France :(

That's interesting as I have similar charts to those shown in this thread and when I spoke to Garmin Support in the UK they decided to send me a new premium chest strap - Let's see if that cures my erroneous data.

NICONJ
04-17-2010, 09:14 AM
I use the Edge 500 which I bought 2 weeks ago and the premium strap that I used for the first time yesterday on my 113km bike workout. I have to say that I am very disappointed.

Would you look at the heart rate please. Looking at my chart, the above posted ones look rather well.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/30222536

A max heart rate of 237bpm. This is ridiculous. I wore an under armor shirt and a bike shirt over it. Interestingly enough my heart rate got up when I went downhill which would be explained by the high speed and the shirt flapping due to the wind. I thought that things like this would not happen with an expensive bike computer and a 60€ chest belt. :(

I also wrote to Garmin Germany. Lets see what they have to say about it.

Nico.

MELZORRO
05-19-2010, 02:28 PM
Deleted spam post

OK, you can stop now.
You've posted the same message in 4 different threads. It's clear you work for Amazon.
Or maybe it's because you're very glad you've solved your heart problem :D.

GOUGHYMACHINE
05-24-2010, 06:40 PM
I have had the hrm issues with my original strap, and my strap I received under warranty, and currently have that one away being replaced. Both started after 3 months of use and it didn't matter what clothing or what activity - 30mins to an hour into activity my hr would sky rocket. Easy cycling (without flapping clothing) and my hr was 250. Stop for a break and it would drop uner 60bpm, then start again and over 200 immediately.

My last contact with service they told me there was a new strap released (same form factor) that is spose to solve this issue. We'll see in a few months. I have also heard of people who've had this issue connecting the garmin hrm module onto a polar wearlink strap and having correct readings, yet not with the garmin strap.

I believe the strap is the issue - nothing else.

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
05-24-2010, 07:45 PM
I have had the hrm issues with my original strap, and my strap I received under warranty, and currently have that one away being replaced. Both started after 3 months of use and it didn't matter what clothing or what activity - 30mins to an hour into activity my hr would sky rocket. Easy cycling (without flapping clothing) and my hr was 250. Stop for a break and it would drop uner 60bpm, then start again and over 200 immediately.

My last contact with service they told me there was a new strap released (same form factor) that is spose to solve this issue. We'll see in a few months. I have also heard of people who've had this issue connecting the garmin hrm module onto a polar wearlink strap and having correct readings, yet not with the garmin strap.

I believe the strap is the issue - nothing else.

Do you have any more information on the new strap? Do you know if it has been released?

I returned my soft strap in exchange for the older style one a few months ago because the soft strap gave increasingly useless information. in heat and humidity. It seemed to worsen as the strap aged too.

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
05-24-2010, 07:50 PM
Another thought to consider here that might exacerbate the issue is the fact that the sampling interval has changed in the latest 305 firmware upgrade. They went from the option to take one reading a second to a "smart interval" that varies depending on the speed. If the read interval becomes longer and for whatever reason a reading is dropped, then the overall impact is greater.

I know the 405 has huge intervals between readings. I've seen as much as 7 seconds in my data.

I only ever used my 305 on smart sampling, the default. The smart interval does not solely depend on speed.

When the device is set to Smart Recording, course/track points are recorded whenever necessary. The device is constantly monitoring changes in direction, speed, and elevation, and captures a course/track point when it detects change. It could be every second if you're travelling fast on tight turns, or minutes if you're stopped or moving very, very slowly. Unless you're doing short short track activities or super fast downhill runs, Smart Recording is the most accurate and recommended recording setting.

GOUGHYMACHINE
05-24-2010, 08:24 PM
Do you have any more information on the new strap? Do you know if it has been released?

I returned my soft strap in exchange for the older style one a few months ago because the soft strap gave increasingly useless information. in heat and humidity. It seemed to worsen as the strap aged too.

I rang garmin service last week. I told the guy I spoke to that I had had my hrm replaced in November last year and that the new one was also acting up. He said to me that they have made a new hrm that sovles the issues with the original one (admitting that there were problems) and that the new one looks just like the old one. He said if I had mine replaced in November I would have missed out on the new one and gotten the old one. But that the one I receive this time will be the new one.

I'll hold my judgement on the new one until I get a year through with it with no issues (haven't received it as yet). But that is the basics of my conversation with their service guy. Obviously could just be a story.

HIPDUF
06-04-2010, 09:27 AM
Although I am in my first 10 days of the 310XT, I have been using HRM's for several years now, mostly Polar's.

My take on the issue is that it's more a result of consumer grade HRM technology than anything else. With my Polar 625x, and then the RS800sd, I would almost always have spikes in the first 2 minutes or so, then it would settle down. On a very hot day, with lots of sweat, I would sometimes see erratic readings at the end of runs.

I think the former is due to static, because my technical shirt was still relatively dry (I do wet the electrodes before each run), and the latter is almost certainly due to the sweat. When you combine the fact that these devices are designed to sell for a (relatively) low price to consumers, and that there are some more random situations than just running on a controlled treadmill in a doctor or researcher's office (heat variation, sweat variation, the strap moving around on your body during a 3 hour run, etc.), it's probably more amazing that the HRM's work as well as they do.

Right now, I am using the strap that came with my Adidias Micoach (a mistake, story for another time. On the other hand, buying a Micoach is a cheaper way of getting a soft heart rate strap and a footpod than Garmin's units). Other than the initial spikes, which I can live with, it's been working OK.

What I found with the Polars was that the contacts would get corroded over time. Look closely and you'll see white "mineral" buildup on the snaps, especially within the female part of the connectors. Soak that in vinegar for a while and clean with a soft brush. That will fix things for a while. But you need to keep things clean. The same thing will probably happen with the Adidas.

I have never used gel, but may give it a go.

Overall, it suits my purposes, and I can usually smooth out the data afterwards. Compared to the never ending grief I had with the RS800sd never finding the footpod, this is a minor issue for me. I just wish I had listened and got a 305/310 a long time ago.

caz

WEAVER07950
06-06-2010, 09:13 AM
I bought my 310xt with softstrap HRM 1 week ago and I have the same problem as WOUALY. So far on every run faster than easy pace at approximately 30 minutes into run, the HR will spike up by 40 to 80 beats into the 190 to 220 range. I am 61 and have a maxHR of 168. Weather now is warm and humid (86F/30C) so it may be sweat related. For me, tight or cotton shirts are not an option, so it appears that the only solution is a new HRM. I think I will return the 310xt to the store where I purchased.

Here is my first run (out of box) longer than 1 mile
http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/35218866

Here is my 3rd run longer than 1 mile and slightly faster than easy pace.
http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/35785255

I should also note that I have owned 2 previous HRM's and have never had a problem with either one as long as I used buh-bump or skin cream on electrodes. ...too bad they aren't ANT+!

I have read entire thread and it sounds to me like the Garmin people are in denial.

GOUGHYMACHINE
06-06-2010, 03:40 PM
I know of someone who said they saw the new suunto hrm has the ant+ symbol on the back. Think they're gonna test it with the 310xt some time.

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
06-06-2010, 09:54 PM
I have read entire thread and it sounds to me like the Garmin people are in denial.

I don't think they are in denial, just don't know how to fix it. It does appear that Garmin are very happy to replace straps when complaints are made. It's just such a pity they can't seem to resolve the issue.

I swapped my soft strap for the old style 305 one and have had no problems since. Not a great thing to have to do, but it stopped me swearing!!

WEAVER07950
06-07-2010, 09:04 AM
I don't think they are in denial, just don't know how to fix it. It does appear that Garmin are very happy to replace straps when complaints are made. It's just such a pity they can't seem to resolve the issue.

I swapped my soft strap for the old style 305 one and have had no problems since. Not a great thing to have to do, but it stopped me swearing!!

Thanks for reply. I do like the convenience of 310xt except for the HRM monitor/belt. I do agree that it seems to be primarily a belt issue. The prevalent view is that the older style belt will fix problem. I guess I need to get the old style belt. Since my soft-strap was acting up badly at only 6 running miles out of box, I'm skeptical that washing the soft-strap will help. Maybe, more wetting will help in my case. On my first run posted to have problem, I only used a small amount of wetting. On the last run posted (15 mile), I did try skin lotion on electrodes, with no improvement. My older Timex and Acumen HRM's often would not work for the first 10 minutes of run without wetting, skin lotion or electrode gel but once they were working well (wetting/gel or not) they would work well for hours at a time with no sensitivity to sweat. It seemed like sweat would help them function. Lotion or gel was always better than wetting though. Wetting was only last resort if I didn't have gel or lotion with me, since wetting didn't always work as well. Does anyone think there is a difference between skin lotion, electrode gel, or ultra-sound gel? My old HRM's would work equally well with generic skin lotion, or electrode gel (Buh-Bump)

I often run with mandatory club shirts which are neither tight nor cotton. I don't expect flapping should normally be an issue for runners, but for biking maybe yes. Wouldn't bikers always wear tight clothing to avoid drag?

I also would like to note that no amount of post-run averaging will fix problem since their is a huge bias in the seemingly random output of the monitor when not working, which is often 60 to 80 bpm high for minutes at a time, even when almost sationary.

MADEUPNAME
06-07-2010, 09:30 AM
Thanks for reply. I do like the convenience of 310xt except for the HRM monitor/belt. I do agree that it seems to be primarily a belt issue. The prevalent view is that the older style belt will fix problem. I guess I need to get the old style belt. Since my soft-strap was acting up badly at only 6 running miles out of box, I'm skeptical that washing the soft-strap will help. Maybe, more wetting will help in my case. On my first run posted to have problem, I only used a small amount of wetting. On the last run posted (15 mile), I did try skin lotion on electrodes, with no improvement. My older Timex and Acumen HRM's often would not work for the first 10 minutes of run without wetting, skin lotion or electrode gel but once they were working well (wetting/gel or not) they would work well for hours at a time with no sensitivity to sweat. It seemed like sweat would help them function. Lotion or gel was always better than wetting though. Wetting was only last resort if I didn't have gel or lotion with me, since wetting didn't always work as well. Does anyone think there is a difference between skin lotion, electrode gel, or ultra-sound gel? My old HRM's would work equally well with generic skin lotion, or electrode gel (Buh-Bump)

I often run with mandatory club shirts which are neither tight nor cotton. I don't expect flapping should normally be an issue for runners, but for biking maybe yes. Wouldn't bikers always wear tight clothing to avoid drag?

I also would like to note that no amount of post-run averaging will fix problem since their is a huge bias in the seemingly random output of the monitor when not working, which is often 60 to 80 bpm high for minutes at a time, even when almost sationary.

I continue to have good success using a Polar soft strap with the Garmin transmitter (the Polar strap that clips together on the side and the transmitter pushes onto two press studs in the middle of the strap its about £10-12 from memory). All I do is use a little ECG contact gel on the strap and rinse into under the tap after every use.

WEAVER07950
06-07-2010, 10:58 AM
I continue to have good success using a Polar soft strap with the Garmin transmitter (the Polar strap that clips together on the side and the transmitter pushes onto two press studs in the middle of the strap its about £10-12 from memory). All I do is use a little ECG contact gel on the strap and rinse into under the tap after every use.

Thank you for info. Maybe it was in thread and I missed it but I wasn't aware that a Polar strap would connect to the Garmin transmitter unit. I was searching web for a substitute but I thought I needed a strap plus ANT+ transmitter. Do you have a Polar part number or link?

Is it the Polar Wearlink strap? I found the answer (Yes) from T_SMIT in other thread.

RVDOWNING
06-08-2010, 06:40 AM
I also use the Polar Wearlink strap with no problems. The only maintenance I've done is to rinse the electrodes after each use. I also dampen them before use to aid contact.

NEAHORA
06-29-2010, 11:24 PM
start seeing erratic and high HR readings:D

RVDOWNING
07-13-2010, 12:08 PM
Yep, you were right. Ok, so last night I scrubbed the metal contacts both on the strap and on the transmitter with vinegar and it worked fine today, except for initial bad readings. They were caused by my forgetting to wet the strap contacts. That can happen when I get up at 0415 to meet some folks for running. Sigh......

Now the issue is how best to clean these items on a continuing basis. Does it suffice to stick the strap in the laundry (cold wash) once a week and perhaps use vinegar in the transmitter contacts once a week, or is anything else needed. (like voodoo or some such. :p)

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
07-13-2010, 07:12 PM

Happened to me at the weekend with the Polar Wearlink+ strap. It was the battery in the transmitter. Changed that an normal service resumed. There seems little doubt that the Polar strap works.

A huge pity Garmin cannot seem to rectify the problem with their strap.

SUMEETRAI
07-13-2010, 11:00 PM
My heat rate monitor reports very low heart rate 1 hour or so into my run. i wear wicking top but i am usually drenched in sweat. I cannot stop and dry my strap - any recommendations?

BJJAVG
07-15-2010, 06:30 AM
Hi,
I have the 310xt with the Premium hrm and have the same problem as lots of other people with the heart rate reading peaking....(250bpm). To try and fix the problem I got the Polar WearLink Strap. I havent had the problem occur since. Heart rate is normal with no peaks at all of 250bpm. I passed on my fix to 2 other mates that had the same problem and its all good. No more heart rate reading peaks. I love my garmin watch but now have a huge soft spot for the Polar WearLink Strap. It was only $26(Aud).

All I can say nothing got under my skin more then starting a E2A run with a heart rate of 250bpm when it should be around 142bpm.

Before anyone asks I went back to my Garmin Premium strap and the problem came back straight away. So back to the Polar strap and problem has disappeared again.
Please Garmin admit you have a problem and design a better strap.

JGIEDT
07-19-2010, 11:20 AM
I got my 310xt May 18th and used it without a hitch for a month or so. I started getting occasional high bpm readings, 220-245. Now it is VERY common. Garmin has supplied me with an old style replacement strap. Same problem. I can be mowing the yard and have a hear rate of 235. Nuts!

New batteries, two hrms (soft strap and old style), newest software, gps hard resets and no fix.

Sitting at my desk in a cotton t shirt, I can reproduce the problem by wetting my chest. It will go from 64 up to 245 bpm within a minute or so.

Do I sent ALL in to Garmin, or do I try Electrode Gel? Will the Gel help w/ sweat issues? I can't believe it is the watch, but both style HRMs are not working.

All advise welcome. - Jeff

XBIGFOOTX
08-18-2010, 10:02 AM
looking to buy a 310XT in UK. Looking to avoid the HRM issues. Should I

1) buy 310XT without HRM - buy HRM and strap from old 305 model?
2) buy 310XT with HRM and then buy the polar strap?
3) buy 310XT with HRM and see.

with regards to the polar strap - does anyone have a link to where I can purchase in the UK? From what I can see the polar + strap is a soft strap too. Want to make sure I am getting the right one. I was expectin the strap to be plastic to improve contact.

thanks

DW152
08-18-2010, 12:11 PM
looking to buy a 310XT in UK. Looking to avoid the HRM issues. Should I

1) buy 310XT without HRM - buy HRM and strap from old 305 model?
2) buy 310XT with HRM and then buy the polar strap?
3) buy 310XT with HRM and see.

I would choose option 1.

RO_MO
08-18-2010, 02:19 PM
I went for option 2 and bought a Polar+ strap, no poblems anymore.
I now mix both and i still have no problem with both of them.

The polar strap i bought for €15,-- in a local bike store where the sell polar and you can purchase it loose.

Robert

RVDOWNING
08-20-2010, 07:31 AM
The only thing I do these days is to use the old style Garmin heart rate monitor strap and to spray the insides of my technical shirts well with Static Guard. This almost always cures the problem, and I am running in some serious heat and humidity here in Georgia.

I used the WearLink strap for a while but it started acting up and was more bother to continually clean than just using the Garmin strap and doing the Static Guard spraying.

RVDOWNING
08-20-2010, 07:48 AM
..... I can be mowing the yard and have a hear rate of 235. Nuts!

Sitting at my desk in a cotton t shirt, I can reproduce the problem by wetting my chest. It will go from 64 up to 245 bpm within a minute or so.

My thinking is that there is a continuous liquid/perspiration connection from the electrode on one side of your chest to the electrode on the other side of your chest causing a short.

My solar plexus causes a break so that there isn't liquid on the strap continuously from one electrode to the other. If however, I poured water on my shirt that might cause a continuous liquid connection.

I wonder if you could wrap something around your HRM in the middle, to keep there from being a continuous liquid connection. It might be worth it as a test anyway to confirm the nature of the problem.

STAFFAN@STAFFANNILSSON.EU
08-21-2010, 10:15 AM
As I wrote in another thread (but this one seems to be the main one) I too have the problem that the HR spikes at the end of runs when the shirt is very sweaty. I basically tried every possible cure I read about here on the forums, then contacted Garmin who sent me a replacement. No luck - the same problem occured again on the first try. Now I've bought a Polar Wearlink+ strap and will see if that works better.

I have thought in the same lines as RVDOWNING above. The problems that occur at the end of workouts don't seem likely to be caused by static - that much sweat on the shirt should decrease static considerably compared to the beginning of the workout.
Edit: The polar strap has some kind of rubber or similar protecting the metallic "buttons" (or whatever they are called) from contact with fluid from the shirt. The Garmin strap doesn't. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but it is one thing that relates to the theory RVDOWNING had above.

HENLUNDS
08-24-2010, 07:31 AM
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/08/solution-to-heart-rate-dropoutsspikes.html

08-24-2010, 09:58 AM
...and that would be an acceptable solution if Garmin sent me one of those Polar straps for free. It's not ok that I have to buy a competitor product in order to get the Garmin working!

RVDOWNING
08-24-2010, 11:45 AM
By the way, after wearing the Polar strap for 10 sessions or so it too will start acting up. I had to start scrubbing the contacts with vinegar. It became too much of a bother. (I know, I'm lazy...) I went back to the old Garmin strap and just spray the insides of my technical shirts with Static Guard and have no issues. I've been doing that for a couple of years now.

08-24-2010, 01:14 PM
Did you put the Polar strap in the washing machine (40 deg C) regularly as the instructions say? Did it still act up after that?
I've heard so much positive about the Polar strap, I don't want to be disappointed again..
With the Garmin strap, did you have problems at the beginning or the end of the workouts? I would assume that static wouldn't be the problem when it starts to act up in the end of the workout (probably due to sweat)?! I suspect the problems in the beginning and at the end of workouts may have different causes.

RVDOWNING
08-24-2010, 01:47 PM
I would throw the strap in with the regular laundry twice a week. (I don't remember the temperature settings on all of them. Some were undoubtedly cold/cold, but some were hot/hot.) But, I don't think that suffices. There is certainly still some buildup on the transmitter contacts themselves. Also, I found I still had to scrub the contacts on the strap. I used a toothbrush and vinegar. For the first 10 wearings or so all was perfect. Initially, when the strap is new, it seems to take a while for corrosion (or whatever one might call it) to build up sufficiently to adversely affect readings.

It is exceptionally rare for me to have adverse readings on my Garmin strap (old style strap) other than toward the start of my runs, and that has been totally removed by the Static Guard spraying of the inside of my technical running shirts. So, it has essentially become a non-issue for me.

CRAIG_RT
08-30-2010, 07:14 PM
I have had my Garmin for only a short time and am having HR issues too, but mine seem a little different. I don't get any great spikes like others do, but my HR seems to slowly fluctuate up and down during a run. On the HR graph on the Garmin I see it slowly rise and rise (while running at a constant pace on an even surace) before dropping back down and building back up again.

Is this similar to what others experience, or is it something else?

Thanks.

RVDOWNING
08-31-2010, 12:00 PM
That doesn't sound like an error to me. A number of things can affect one's heart rate, such as temperature, tiredness of legs, etc. Here (http://connect.garmin.com/activity/46958501) is mine from this morning, but it is not on flat terrain and also the second 5k was slower than the first 5k.

I wonder if it is dropping a bit after you get warmed up and comfortable. It will also rise as you get hotter and more tired.

FJOLLBERG
09-29-2010, 12:00 PM
Me and my girl-friend have identical 310XT:s. My strap works. Hers doesn't. Simple as that. We've swapped everything around to exclude all other possible errors.

Fact remains. Her strap does not work. Her watch does, her heart rate monitor does. The strap does not. Not for me, not for her, regardless of clothing, wetting, whatever.

My strap works perfectly. So it seems to be some manufacturing problem with the strap, at least in our case. We'll get a new one for her.

CRAIG_RT
09-29-2010, 07:51 PM
I tried to get a good pic from a run of mine, but the graphs produced don't really show well what is happening during a run. When I look at the 310 and the HR graph it has I will often see this sort of pattern:

http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss140/smackme/hr.jpg

And this is when I am running at an easy steady pace on even flat terrain. Sometimes I actually wonder if it is me and I am skipping an occasional beat causing my rate to drop for a measuring interval before going back to normal.

HSCHONZEIT
12-11-2010, 01:26 PM
The problem with HR spikes seems to be from static electricity. The consensus seems to be that when you start running (usually in cold dry weather) the rubbing between the strap and your shirt (mostly technical shirts) causes the static electricity. As you continue running, your sweat reduces the friction or acts as a conduit that stops the spikes. There are some runners who believe that the problem is caused by chest hair. Electrons on hair are loosely bonded and the rubbing could be causing the spikes, but since woman runners also report this problem, it seems that chest hair issues are not the root cause.

I surveyed a number of sites for solutions and included my own experience. See below.

#1 Solution - antistatic agent spray - Description - Commercial products such as "Static Guard" spray. - Use - Spray on inside of shirt and outside of strap before run. - Effectiveness - seems to solve problem totally - Issues - You need to spray each time, to be sure it works. - Warnings - The chemicals can be an eye irritant so wash your hands after use. The US Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) lists no warnings for carcinogens or other health effects. There have been sporadic claims of skin rashes from these products. - Warnings - The chemicals can be an eye irritant so wash your hands after use. The US Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) lists no warnings for carcinogens or other health effects. There have been sporadic claims of skin rashes from these products.

#2 Solution - antistatic agent sheet - Description - Commercial products such as fabric softener sheets "Static Guard" sheets. - Use - rub on shirt and strap before run - Effectiveness - May be as good as spray, but fewer people have tried this - Issues - You need to rub the sheet on the fabric and strap each time, to be sure it works. - Warnings - The chemicals can be an eye irritant so wash your hands after use. The MSDS lists no warnings for carcinogens or other health effects. If you are concerned there are all natural dryer sheets, such as "The Static Eliminator" and "Hand-Maid X-Static". There have been sporadic claims of skin rashes from these products. - Warnings - The chemicals can be an eye irritant so wash your hands after use. The MSDS lists no warnings for carcinogens or other health effects. If you are concerned there are all natural dryer sheets, such as "The Static Eliminator" and "Hand-Maid X-Static". There have been sporadic claims of skin rashes from these products.

#3 Solution - wetting strap - Description - Plain water. - Use - Spray, sponge or simply lick both sides of the strap. - Effectiveness - appears effective almost all the time, but less effective if there is a lag between wetting the strip and going out for your run. - Issues - May not be as effective as antistatic agent and needs to be applied just before your run. - Warnings - There is an uck factor if people see you licking your strap. - Warnings - There is an uck factor if people see you licking your strap.

#4 Solution - Gel and water - Description - Electrogel on inside of strap and water on outside. Others have tried various types of gel, including Aloe and K-Y jelly with similar results. - Use - Lightly coat inside of strap with electro gel and then wet the outside. - Effectiveness - Seems more effective than just wetting the strap. - Issues - May not be as effective as antistatic agent and needs to be applied just before your run. - Warnings - The electro-gel is expensive, but lasts a long time. - Warnings - The electro-gel is expensive, but lasts a long time.

#5 Solution - Electro Gel on both sides - Description - Electrogel on inside and outside of strap. - Use - Lightly coat inside of and outside of strap, then lightly rub shirt against strap. - Effectiveness - Seems more effective than just wetting the strap and you don't have to rush out to run before it dries. This also works on bikes where the water on the outside of the strap may evaporate during a long ride. - Issues - May not be as effective as antistatic agent. - Warnings - None that I can determine. - Warnings - None that I can determine.

#6 Solution - Strap tightness - Description - Tighten the strap. - Use - Tighten the strap and periodically check that the strap hasn't loosened - they tend to become more slick over time and loosen up. - Effectiveness - This solved the problems for some runners. - Issues - May have to be done many times if strap keeps slipping. - Warnings - None that I can determine. - Warnings - None that I can determine.

#7 Solution - Battery issues - Description - Replace the strap battery and make sure there is no corrosion on contacts. - Use - This solved the problems for some runners. - Effectiveness - None that I can determine. - Issues - If this doesn’t' work, you may have spent a few dollars on new batteries. - Warnings - None that I can determine. - Warnings - None that I can determine.

#8 Solution - Tape bands on strap - Description - Tape two rows of first-aid tape around strap a few inches from center. - Use - Semi-permanent until hair tape wears out. - Effectiveness - One runner has reported that this is totally effective. - Issues - None that I can determine. - Warnings - None that I can determine. - Warnings - None that I can determine.

#9 Solution - Change strap position - Description - Wear strap (upside down) on back. - Use - This solved the problems for some runners. - Effectiveness - None that I can determine. - Issues - None that I can determine. - Warnings - None that I can determine. - Warnings - None that I can determine.

#10 Solution - Strap cleanliness - Description - Wash the strap after each run. - Use - Wash the strap after each run. - Effectiveness - None that I can determine. - Issues - None that I can determine. - Warnings - None that I can determine. - Warnings - None that I can determine.

#11 Solution - Replace with other brand of strap - Description - Replace with Polar strap that has embedded anti-static substances. - Use - Search Web for instructions. - Effectiveness - Some runners report that this completely solved the problem. - Issues - You have to jury rig the strap. There are some reported problems with Polar straps being effected by high tension electrical lines. - Warnings - If this doesn't work, you'll have wasted some dollars. - Warnings - If this doesn't work, you'll have wasted some dollars.

#12 Solution - Anti-static tape - Description - 3M makes an Anti-Static Tape - Use - Haven't tried it yet. - Effectiveness - Haven't tried it yet. - Issues - The tape is expensive, $13/roll. - Warnings - None that I can determine. - Warnings - None that I can determine.

#13 Solution - Duct tape - Description - Try duct tape rows along strap. - Use - Haven't tried it yet. - Effectiveness - Duct tape seems to work for everything else. - Issues - None that I can determine. - Warnings - Strap looks funky. - Warnings - Strap looks funky.

#14 Solution - Cellophane tape along strap - Description - Tape the length of the outside of the strap with cellophane (i.e. Scotch tape). - Use - Still experimenting - unknown effectiveness - Effectiveness - Still experimenting - unknown effectiveness - Issues - None that I can determine. - Warnings - None that I can determine. - Warnings - None that I can determine.

#15 Solution - Shave hair - Description - Shave hair on chest where strap rubs. - Use - Semi-permanent until hair grows back. - Effectiveness - One runner has reported that this is totally effective. - Issues - Cosmetic if you care. - Warnings - Ask girlfriend/wife first. Since women also report the HR spiking, there is some doublt about the hair being the cause. - Warnings - Ask girlfriend/wife first. Since women also report the HR spiking, there is some doublt about the hair being the cause.

#16 Solution - Garmin solution - Description - Future upgrade to a anti-static strap. - Use - Waiting for Garmin. - Effectiveness - When Garmin gets around to including anti-static materials in its strap this problem with disappear. - Issues - Garmin seems to be in denial on this issue.

MATT300400
01-10-2011, 11:25 PM
After reading most of this thread, I see now that its clear Garmin has a subpar and faulty HR strap in the new version. I am not going to start running in cotton or rub honey on my chest to try and fix this issue...thats just crazy! I am sending it back to Garmin for a refund and going back to Polar.

RUSKIE-IT
01-11-2011, 01:43 AM
I have no problem whatsoever with the Garmin strap. Since I knew about the problem, when purchasing the watch I also bought a Polar wearlink strap with it, and I used both; so far I must say I have had more problem with the wearlink beacause if I touch it while running, maybe because it slips to an uncomfortable position for example, it may happen that the HR drops until the end of the activity (note: the hr still makes perfect contact with my skin so it's not an issue of placing it badly). Not always but it happens.
So I would say it's not bound to happen to everyone everytime...

ANDREMA2
01-31-2011, 04:54 PM
Wow this is an expensive heart monitor watch that does a lot of things but monitor your heart rate.

My heart rate goes down the more I exercise. I tried to use my old Polar strap, it works when I'm not working out, but as soon as I do it start to goes down until it reaches 00.

Any other idea or tip ?

Garmim I believe it's time to come out with some solution.

SALIGHINI
02-01-2011, 05:13 AM
I changed to the wearlink soft strap; It's better manufactury than garmin but after 4 months I got some problems with it! HR stays down, while with garmin I got spikes. Now I use the hard garmin band, perfect (for now).
I think it's a common problem of all the soft strap bands.
Ciao

ORBEA1951
06-02-2011, 07:18 PM
This thread goes on for more than 2 years and in the meantime Garmin is pretty content to sell crap that does not work a premium price. And full bunch of people exchange ideas how to fix problems that the users of Polar, Times etc just do not have.
I bought Edge 500 a couple of months ago and did not have one bike ride, I ride 200m+ a week, when everything would be working well, and HRM is simply useless for any serious training. Loosing $300 is a pain but not us much as dealing with Garmin products. Good bye Garmin, you can recover your Edge 500 from my garbage bin to sell it to another unsuspecting idiot.

DLMYTH
08-23-2011, 11:06 AM
Hi,
I have the 310xt with the Premium hrm and have the same problem as lots of other people with the heart rate reading peaking....(250bpm). To try and fix the problem I got the Polar WearLink Strap. I havent had the problem occur since. Heart rate is normal with no peaks at all of 250bpm. I passed on my fix to 2 other mates that had the same problem and its all good. No more heart rate reading peaks. I love my garmin watch but now have a huge soft spot for the Polar WearLink Strap. It was only $26(Aud).

All I can say nothing got under my skin more then starting a E2A run with a heart rate of 250bpm when it should be around 142bpm.

Before anyone asks I went back to my Garmin Premium strap and the problem came back straight away. So back to the Polar strap and problem has disappeared again.
Please Garmin admit you have a problem and design a better strap.

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Wearlink-Strap/dp/B000OL06A4 <--- is this the strap you bought?

YVETTEIRONS
08-24-2011, 05:48 PM
Hello Garmin Forerunner301xt users and admins!

I am new to forums. I hope I'm putting this post in the correct area. If not please refer me to the appropriate location. Thanx in advance.

My Forerunner 301XT is just over a year old. I wear it regularly (5+ / week while running ONLY! )
The device worked just fine until 3 or so months ago, when it started recording my HR as low as 32 to 289 bpm on several of my runs. At first I thought it was me, that perhaps I had some sort of arrhythmia, or maybe it was static, or perhaps it wasn't positioned properly on my chest, or maybe radio wave interruption or . . . It was non of the above that I could figure. SO, I disregarded the HR bpm reading for some time. Occasionally, it read normally but, mostly fluctuating and erroneously at best.

August 19, 2011 the device STOPPED reporting HR. It was as if I had flat lined. Clearly not the case. Then strangely, all my settings were different even though I had not changed anything.

~I am an active runner/triathlete I run 40miles+/week averaging 8-8:30 min/mi I'm healthy not over weight no known health issues or the like.
~My average working HR is between 120-155
~I wear the strap under a snug fitting sports bra below breasts (under elastic of sports bra) so the loose fitting t-shirt syndrome is not the case!
~I sweat enough to wet the electrodes
~I changed out the battery on strap
~Read through Owners manual
~Reset the device (Power button and Mode button at the same time)
~Tried to pair HR monitor with device
~Cleared all activities from device
~~~ALL WITH NO RESOLUTION!
I understand athletes should not be dependent on HR monitor only for training ( I'm NOT) However, I DO monitor my HR while racing triathlons.

In any case I am very frustrated and getting a bit angry. The nearly $400+ I spent on the device, Well, quite frankly I expect it to work.

I have yet to read through ALL the threads and posts regarding this issue and again reading through 2 years worth doesn't make me any less frustrated !
PLEASE HELP!
IF I must purchase another strap I will do so.
IF I must purchase another strap from another company/brand I will do so.
IF I must spend another $400+ on a new device that actually works longer than 1 year I will be very PISSED.
I have an EDGE 500 I use for cycling I'm quite satisfied with (SO FAR)
PLEASE HELP ME RESOLVE THIS ISSUE!
Thank you for your time,

~~Yvette Irons:mad:

BAMARIDER
08-24-2011, 08:57 PM
Well I dunno Yvette. I'd try a new strap and see what happens. My 305 HR died and never came back, after 3 yeas of use.

If my 310 dies, I'm gonna jump ship. The garmin has a lot of nice features, but seems to be unreliable.

I also have a motorycle, and its equipped with speical motorcycle specific GPS, this unit does for riding what the 310 does for fitness, it is well thought out. But the unit continually fails. I am on my 3rd refurb, in 4 years, they last about year and then just freeze.

RVDOWNING
08-25-2011, 12:39 PM
It might be worth a call to Garmin about replacing a defective heart rate monitor. If that doesn't resolve it then the next call would be to replace a defective 301xt. Garmin customer service is pretty good.

HENRIK3060
10-02-2011, 01:21 PM
I'm seeing the same problem with my FR610HR . Yesterday I did calibration of my foot-pod. Please check both runs made with 2-3 minutes in between and both having pulse going up in the beginning. Had previous 405 and did never see the problem.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/118255530#
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/1...4bPI4ze0.email

PASOR1
10-03-2011, 04:17 AM
~I changed out the battery on strap

When you change the battery, HR sensor should be reset. Leave the sensor without battery for 30 minutes, then insert the new battery.
You can also try insert battery with inverse polarity for any seconds, this reset the sensor.
After battery replace you must pair sensor and 310xt

SWEETXML
10-05-2011, 12:14 PM
I bought an 310XT with soft-strap in February and use it for running and road biking.
I've never had problems using when riding my bike.

After 2 months within a short period of time it went from intermittent and moderate spikes to general above MaxHR after app. 20 min running. Just before Copenhagen Marathon I switched to the Polar strap that I had from another Polar Device, just to conclude that during the marathon my heartrate measurement err on the low side. As for now I'm using the good ol' hard-strap from my FR305 (lost the device) both running and biking without problems. I have tried fx. using it on my back, but that did not work at all. I've tried to take my shirt of to eliminate static but problem persist and only when running, so maybe "my" problem is with the bouncing from running?

Before it started to fck up I was 100% confident in using HR- monitors (Polar XTrainer, CS200 with various hard and soft straps and Garmin FR305 hardstrap) then all of a sudden it went to between uncertain and completely without meaning. I now use the hardstrap until I find the time to live without my 310XT for a timeperiod and send it to Garmin. The Soft-strap does seem like a better fit, but the hardstrap just works.

DAVE.ASHCROFT
11-22-2011, 11:34 AM
Bought a 310xt and stopped using the hrm because it was so inaccurate. Decided I needed to use my hrm for zone training. I rang Garmin Uk support and asked them to swap it for the hard strap as the soft one was useless. They were very good.

Got a new hard strap (HRM1G) in post and it's working perfectly. No mad spikes but nice smooth curves. The soft one looked like the Himalayas.

NORDEB
12-26-2011, 06:16 PM
Has anyone tried a different HR chest strap? I have seen talk of Polar but they don't make a ANT+ model. I have seen talk of a CardioSport else where on the web, but have not seen any comments on if it is any more reliable than the Garmin. I have had Polar for about 14 years, recently using Garmin 800 (christmas present) am really worried about the HR strap issues, yes Polar spiked but always easy to get it back again, and these suggestions of "wear it for 5 min and let it settle" is rubbish, I can just see an Ambo applying an ECG device and then waiting! not. I never have had any issue in the past with immediate and accurate results with Polar. I have also put my new Garmin on several times since getting it and the reading is immediate, and that is the way it should work. Yes more reliable when warmup, yes Ambos use sticky pads, but moisture/gel and should work.

So has anyone tried a 3rd party transmitter and has that eliminated the problem?

Thank you

Norman

ANDREMA2
12-27-2011, 02:31 AM
Someone else mentioned that if you put the strap with the sensor not in exactly in the center of your chest it might work. I tried that and in my case if the transmissor piece is just below my left pectoral muscle instead of right in the middle of my chest the HR is always correct.

I had tried using the old strap (a plastic one), the new strap and Polar strap from my RS800 and none of them worked. I also have changed my watch by a new one and nothing. As soon as I started to sweat the readings dropped. Now I don't see this problem anymore.

Give it a try.

BERGLCL1
12-29-2011, 05:39 AM
Hi, I´m a new member here. I had problems with the heart rate strap but i got a new one when I contacted Garmin in Finland. I is a new design on the belt and with this there is no problem!

ERNYMEYER
03-15-2012, 01:54 PM
I experienced similar irregularities at times during several of my runs. Today I had the idea to turn around the module attached to the strap to position it upside-down, and the problem disappeared immediately. Look at the following result (module turned after 14'40"):
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/158196141

KETTLERBK
03-25-2012, 09:20 AM
mine is a brand new Garmin 310XT with the newest soft strap with snaps for the transmitter.
for the first two weeks the readings were all seemingly perfect with some normal spikes, but recently during every "spin" usually in the middle of the hour, my BPM spike to 185 to 200 for anywhere from a few seconds to 30 seconds.
i have not changed the tension on the strap and do not use gel, but i do sweat alot and my shirts are not tight.
any ideas why the change after two perfect weeks?
thanks

TANIAROSA
11-06-2012, 02:06 AM
I'm happy to find this thead! my garmin already have 4 years, no complain during this years, but now is OK for 30 minutes then I get 240 bpm!!!!!! I will try to clean it, if doesn't work I will buy another ANT+ heart rate band because it's driving me crazy :-(

PVENKAT
02-12-2013, 09:58 AM
WHEW..what a thread. And sad to note that it is abandoned by Garmin. Wonder what would be the state of affairs if this had been cars. Would not a recall be involved?

To give bit of my history...I am athlete from Mumbai ( Bombay ), India and have been using Garmin products for quite some years. My 405 is still running and trustworthy. But I also added a 310XT to my stable and I now find that the HR on this one is quite quite erratic. Here are the symptoms

1. Spikes all over the place even when I have run at the same pace. 220 or so..which is not physiologically possible.
2. Records normal..but after about half way starts dropping way below normal. 30s-40s again an impossibility.

I have tried all of the following

1. My body is quite filled with sweat..we run in humid weather. No difference even when dry.
2. I use all kinds of Tees..Technical / cotton..no difference with any variety
3. I have used the original soft strap and also Polar strap...no difference in any
4. Changed batteries often.

For quite some periods of time, I had decided to just not use the HR strap at all. Imagine using the car without headlights :-)

I again decided to revisit these columns to see if any new solution has emerged. Unfortunately it looks like none has emerged so far.

Basically what I have is a lemon :-)

Venkat

MRDOUBIN
02-20-2013, 01:18 PM
I was very concerned about my heart rate because of the high readings 220+ so I went to a cardiologist and at a high fee discovered that my heart was fine.

1. Ran with out a shirt on the treadmill while hooked up to an ECG, while wearing my heart rate monitor
2. Ran on a tread mill for 10 minutes
3. Highest ECG reading 182 BPM, highest Garmin 310XT reading 232 BPM
4. The Garmin HRM was accurate until 175 BPM

I never had this problem with my FR 305 and I am really disappointed because the other aspects of the watch are great.

The problem has been going on for a while and yet they are still selling the soft strap.

NICHARKER
09-30-2013, 06:36 PM
I've given up and gone to Polar - the Garmin transmitter clicks fine into their soft strap, it's cheaper to replace and from what I have read seems to be more reliable.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007XCLU66/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Shame on you Garmin though...surely a problem you could have fixed by now?