PDA

View Full Version : 310XT and Training Peaks shows odd dropouts

DCRAINMAKER
09-12-2009, 03:41 PM
I'm seeing something strange when I upload files to TP from the TCX files. While this might be a TP thing, it's more likely a 310XT thing given it looks like dropouts in the files. It appears that Garmin Connect simply 'connects the dots' instead of showing the dropouts, whereas TP will show the dropouts. Which leads to the question of why is there dropouts? This is on a run with the latest (2.6) firmware. I'm not seeing this with the 705, 405 or 305 when uploading to TP.

To see the dropouts*, check out this run - and click the Graph tab:

http://tpks.ws/HFNs

*Note, the only 'legit' dropout is the one at the 4 minute marker, since that's when I paused the device for a brief moment.

DW152
09-12-2009, 04:57 PM
I think (but not sure) that this is similar to a problem I had when I first started using my 310 with Ascent. I'm not an expert at this, but the 310 has a slightly different format than say, the 305, because the 310 will record HRM values at times without GPS, and vice versa. In other words, there may be points with GPS values, but no HR values.

From seilogramp on the MB forum:

Also, you might won't to look at your tcx file in something like notepad rather than Ascent. That's what I did and could not find any HR values with zero data. It has been brought to my attention that the 310XT will have trackpoints that have HR data and trackpoints with HR data and no other data. Ascent will show these as trackpoints with 0 for HR. This gives the appearance that the 310XT has dropped values. So, this is really an Ascent issue and you should bring it to their attention.

MUSILJAN
09-13-2009, 08:01 PM
I'm seeing something strange when I upload files to TP from the TCX files. While this might be a TP thing, it's more likely a 310XT thing given it looks like dropouts in the files. It appears that Garmin Connect simply 'connects the dots' instead of showing the dropouts, whereas TP will show the dropouts. Which leads to the question of why is there dropouts? This is on a run with the latest (2.6) firmware. I'm not seeing this with the 705, 405 or 305 when uploading to TP.

To see the dropouts*, check out this run - and click the Graph tab:

http://tpks.ws/HFNs

*Note, the only 'legit' dropout is the one at the 4 minute marker, since that's when I paused the device for a brief moment.

I think this is related to the algorithm WKO+ and TP uses - see this forum on TP site - apparently not yet fully implemented.

http://www.trainingpeaks.com/bbs-forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=50410&posts=10

EKUTTER
09-14-2009, 09:51 AM
The altitude is a completely different issue. This same thing happens with the edge. The .TCX file format is actually pretty poor and doesn't provide enough information, especially if you have it set to auto-pause, to decisively know what is happening during the pause. I have noticed that TP does not do a very good job of dealing with that. For example, if your Garmin auto-pauses at a stop light, TP will sometimes use my power at resume for the entire pause, thinking I was putting out 500 watts the entire time I was stopped. The real problem here is the .TCX file format. But TP could do a better job of interpreting the data.

DCRAINMAKER
09-15-2009, 10:38 PM
After dual posting this here and the TP forums, it looks like it's a TP issue in how they interrupt the data. I also posted to the Google Wattage group, and I got a detailed answer there.

They say they'll be issueing an update next week to address this.

"The 310 xt's elevation is recorded at a very different rate than all other data. If you inspect the raw tcx data file, you'll see that only every so often is there a data point for elevation. The kicker is that TP.com does not put any marker for a single point, whereas WKO+ does put a marker even for a single data point.. so the end result is that WKO+ "looks" better. We are going to release an improved graphing algorithm for trainingpeaks.com to show at least a data point when a single piece of data is included like the 310xt,... in a week or so."

DCRAINMAKER
09-17-2009, 10:15 PM
Just as a minor update - the fix to TP for the 310XT went live this morning on TP. You can also toggle the fix on/off as well if you don't like the results. And as an aside, they added lap functionality too - which is kinda nifty (recorded laps are now displayed).

TRIDAD
09-22-2009, 08:45 PM
Just as a minor update - the fix to TP for the 310XT went live this morning on TP. You can also toggle the fix on/off as well if you don't like the results. And as an aside, they added lap functionality too - which is kinda nifty (recorded laps are now displayed).

Is it only for TP online? How about the WKO desktop version? Don't se an update here:

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/wko-desktop-software/download.aspx

DCRAINMAKER
09-22-2009, 09:31 PM
Is it only for TP online? How about the WKO desktop version? Don't se an update here:

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/wko-desktop-software/download.aspx

From the TP forum link a bit higher up:

"we will not be patching the existing version of wko for the 310xt. news about next version of wko will come out soon which will have support for the 310."

:-/

MUSILJAN
09-23-2009, 01:05 PM
From the TP forum link a bit higher up:

"we will not be patching the existing version of wko for the 310xt. news about next version of wko will come out soon which will have support for the 310."

:-/

It is quite possible that the new version will come this week since there is the Interbike show in Vegas. Just guessing.