PDA

View Full Version : Accessories->External Battery option

Bombit
04-13-2011, 08:15 PM
Hi,

I see that the powermonkey-eXplorer extended battery kit is listed as a battery accessory for a number of Garmin products, including the fr405, which I own.

I'd like to have one of the smaller form factor gps watches, but have the option for longer battery life. I read in the Edge 800 forum that the powermonkey-eXplorer external battery can be used while the Edge is operating and recording gps-data. I believe this required a recent firmware update.

So, my questions are:

1) Can the powermonkey-eXplorer be used in this fashion (operating while accessing external battery power source) with my fr405?

2) Can the powermonkey-eXplorer be used in this fashion with ANY of the smaller form factor gps watches (including the fr610)?

3) If not, is new firmware (and/or whatever else might be needed) being developed to allow this for any of the smaller form factor gps watches, as was done for the Edge 800?

I'd love to see a small gps watch that can be optionally powered additional hours via either replaceable main battery, longer life main battery than present models, or external portable power.

Thanks!