PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for improvements to software

R.MCLACHLAN
09-10-2009, 03:29 AM
The watch has been designed to cater for the Triathlete segment of the market however I suspect that many users will be Runners only, and there are vastly more of these than Triathletes. One of the features is to change the sport mode of the watch by holding the mode button and selecting from Running, Bike1, Bike2 etc. It would be great if instead of selecting from these preset modes you could select different user defined modes where the user could control the sport i.e. I would want a Running setup for "Racing", a different one for "Long Runs", and yet another one for "Interval Training". At the moment I find have to reconfigure the screens every time I want to do a different workout in order to get the best information from the watch. Also as part of this, control of whether the sport mode should use GPS or not would be very useful. If I use the watch for Treadmill running I would want to select "Treadmill" mode where the footpod was activated and GPS turned off, or if in the "Gym" mode, I only need to use the HRM, GPS should be off as should Footpod. None of this should be particularly difficult to implement as it simply needs the user to be able enable what the sport mode actually is rather than using the current inflexible preset system.

DW152
09-10-2009, 04:41 AM
There are four screens available for running. I usually set one up for racing, one for general training, and one for intervals. You can auto scroll through these screens, or you can manually scroll through them by pressing the up and down arrows.

R.MCLACHLAN
09-10-2009, 01:55 PM
I would really like those four screens available for each activity. So that I can setup each exactly the way I want. It is a case of allowing the user to designate for each sport type exactly what that sport is rather than having the presets of Running, Bike 1, 2, 3, Other. There are loads of data fields available, it would be shame to be restricted for marketing reasons.

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
09-10-2009, 09:28 PM
Set Bike1, Bike2, Bike 3 for running. Can't use a footpod but you can ahve different set ups.

Failing that, become a multisporter. There may be less of us, but this is OUR device :D

KANSAIBEN
09-10-2009, 10:47 PM
In the least, quickly switching between indoor (non-GPS) and outdoor (GPS) from the mode pop-up menu was a nice feature already on the 305, not sure why it was taken away from the 310. I've sent Garmin a request to see that something similar--if not the exact same set up--gets implemented on the 310.

In fact, been a while since I've used my 305 but I seem to remember that when the unit actually first detects the footpod you are prompted whether you want to use indoors or not too.

To turn GPS off on the 310, like the 405/Edge models, it's a little buried.

R.MCLACHLAN
09-11-2009, 01:49 AM
Set Bike1, Bike2, Bike 3 for running. Can't use a footpod but you can ahve different set ups.

Failing that, become a multisporter. There may be less of us, but this is OUR device :D

I suppose that is my point. The fact you cannot use the footpod is limiting and appears to be a restriction driven by marketing rather than utility.

ROB-DINGEN
09-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Hi

I like to have the smoothing option for pace/speed and the last lap time like the 305

Rob

R.MCLACHLAN
09-12-2009, 09:40 AM
Larger print for the Lap Time Alert would be better, I struggle to see these on the move.

SEILOGRAMP
09-12-2009, 10:21 AM
Larger print for the Lap Time Alert would be better, I struggle to see these on the move.

Same here. But wondering if they make that larger, if all the alerts will become larger, and therefore cover up much of the screen. There are some alerts I don't care about much, such as "off course," etc.