PDA

View Full Version : Forerunner 210 screen went blank

DAJODJEBI
04-03-2011, 03:16 PM
Hi folks,

I'm having problems with my 210, I've had it for about 2-3 months and it's been working perfectly so far.

Today, all of a sudden, as it was connected and charging, I heard the tut-tut noise from the speakers as if a USB device has been disconnected, even though I haven't plugged anything out.

Then I looked at the Garmin and the screen went blank. I disconnected it, then tried reconnecting, tried holding the light button, and nothing seems to wake it up.

Any ideas before I send it back to Garmin?

Thanks,
D

yaydel
04-12-2011, 12:26 PM
I'm having almost the same problem. Had the 210 since christmas with no probs. We upgraded to Windows 7 on the weekend and when I went to connect the 210 this morning it all went pear-shaped.

It connected/uploaded/charged fine until I disconnected it. At which point it started beeping at me saying the battery was low. I reconnected it and the battery totally drained and it switched off.

When I connect it to the pc nothing at all happens on either the 210 or the pc and I can't switch it on.

Help?

karincakes
05-03-2011, 08:44 AM
Help! Me too! Just went blank as I was uploading this mornings run. Argh!:confused:

blatchcorn
05-06-2011, 03:34 AM
Mine keeps going blank too for no particular reason. It turns back on fine, however. :confused:

mguedescruz
10-12-2011, 05:26 AM
Hi everyone,

My forerunner 210 suddenly went blank screen

How did you solve the problem? :(
Thanks

rolandmalkin
10-15-2011, 05:36 AM
My Forerunner 210 went blank just after connecting it to my PC.

Cannot seem to turn it back on again. Trying to recharge it ?

Does anyone have any information how to restart the device and or the reason for this ?

JMCPSYCHOLOGY@GMAIL.COM
10-17-2011, 04:29 AM
I had similar trouble over the past month which i thought was caused by connecting to my iMac and seems to have been rectified by an upgrade of the 210 software to the latest software (2.40).

However when the above was happening to me over the last month I was able to restart the watch by holding the 'Lap/Reset' and 'Menu' buttons down together for 5-10 secs and then pressing the light button down for 3secs to turn it back on. I pieced together some info from some of the other watch forums here and I think the 'Lap/Reset' and 'Menu' buttons together is some sort of reset and then of course the Light button turns the thing on. I sometimes did this procedure many times before it turned the watch back on so it may not be the right thing to do but it worked for me eventually!

I do love my Forerunner 210 but, IMHO, it has some stability issues.

rolandmalkin
10-20-2011, 04:29 AM
Hey guys, Spoke with the retailler and they were happy to send back to Garmin, however I decided to upgrade to the 610 and they would deal with return. WOW what a beast the 610 is!!!

Anyone thinking of buying the 210 should seriously consider going for the 610 it is well worth the extra. I particularly like the ability to customise the displays to suit what you want to see, and the wireless connection to the PC and a much simpler charger !!

As you can tell I am one pleased user !

DAJODJEBI
10-23-2011, 04:05 AM
I solved my problem by sending it back to Garmin and they sent me a brand new one.

The screen going blank wasn't the only problem. The device would lose it's charge completely, even while attached to the charging cable?!?! It would also lose connection to the heart rate monitor and stop showing heart rate.

I bought it as soon as it showed up in the local store, but I guess firmware upgrades weren't enough. :(

olische
12-04-2011, 12:50 PM
I had similar trouble over the past month which i thought was caused by connecting to my iMac and seems to have been rectified by an upgrade of the 210 software to the latest software (2.40).

However when the above was happening to me over the last month I was able to restart the watch by holding the 'Lap/Reset' and 'Menu' buttons down together for 5-10 secs and then pressing the light button down for 3secs to turn it back on. I pieced together some info from some of the other watch forums here and I think the 'Lap/Reset' and 'Menu' buttons together is some sort of reset and then of course the Light button turns the thing on. I sometimes did this procedure many times before it turned the watch back on so it may not be the right thing to do but it worked for me eventually!

Thanks!!!
That worked fine for me after blank screen issue: i connected it to my imac and it turned off. No way to switch it back on again...
i did your procedure and it worked on the first try!
I am like you: FR210 is really a great watch (i had a polar rsx 800 first but i prefere this one and find it more simple, even if Polar has some good points too) but the charging connector really sucks and the watch seems a bit lunatic :D

dky13
12-10-2011, 08:10 AM
I have tried holding down the page menu and lap reset (which worked a few times prior. Now its completely dead. Only bought two months ago and use 4 days a week!!! Hoping Garmin will replace with better model. I am returning to runkeeper for free, to keep track if this helps anyone whilst trying fix the issue.
Best gotta run.....DK

deserttrip
01-15-2012, 02:02 PM
Bought in the third week of November. I use it 3 times a week for up to 40 minutes each time. So in 8 weeks, approximately 24 uses, today when I attach it to upload I got the blank screen.

I tried everything I have been finding in the forums both plugged into the charger and not. It is still not coming back on. :(

UPDATE!! I found instructions here in this thread (https://forums.garmin.com/showpost.php?p=118104&postcount=8) and it worked!

I recommend that for anyone who has found other instructions not helpful.

:)

MARIEDL86
08-23-2012, 04:23 PM
Thanks!!!
That worked fine for me after blank screen issue: i connected it to my imac and it turned off. No way to switch it back on again...
i did your procedure and it worked on the first try!
I am like you: FR210 is really a great watch (i had a polar rsx 800 first but i prefere this one and find it more simple, even if Polar has some good points too) but the charging connector really sucks and the watch seems a bit lunatic :D

Hurray! That worked for me as well :) It went black as I tried to connect it to my MacBook Pro. Tried the menu+lap/recet for about 10 sec and then the light button to turn it back on. However I had to try three times before it worked. So hang in there if it doesn't work the first time :) so happy now, really thought it had died!

johnnydv69
10-28-2012, 08:37 PM
this works!

JABridgeforth
03-28-2013, 12:36 AM
I had the same problem.

Heres what I did:
1) I held down start/stop and lap/reset
2) Then while holding those 2 buttons I pressed the light button.
3) I held all three buttons down for a couple seconds and then let go.
4) Then I held down the light button down by itself and it turned back on.

-Joseph

Hi folks,

I'm having problems with my 210, I've had it for about 2-3 months and it's been working perfectly so far.

Today, all of a sudden, as it was connected and charging, I heard the tut-tut noise from the speakers as if a USB device has been disconnected, even though I haven't plugged anything out.

Then I looked at the Garmin and the screen went blank. I disconnected it, then tried reconnecting, tried holding the light button, and nothing seems to wake it up.

Any ideas before I send it back to Garmin?

Thanks,
D

davidwylie
04-20-2013, 07:35 PM
Had similar probs with Forerunner 210 on Windows 7...pc wouldn't recongise for uploading & unit wouldn't charge...decided to clean both sets of contacts (on device & charging clamp) with Iso Propyl Alcohol & cotton bud...worked a treat so worth a try...also have noticed that I get a better connection when I slide the top part of the charging clamp a little towards the centre of the watch face...seems to better square the contacts...works for me & hopefully you

ALABAMA.GIRL
05-25-2013, 08:52 AM
Not working for me :(

JAN.HAVEL@ACTUMG2.CZ
06-09-2013, 07:19 AM
I had the same problem.

Heres what I did:
1) I held down start/stop and lap/reset
2) Then while holding those 2 buttons I pressed the light button.
3) I held all three buttons down for a couple seconds and then let go.
4) Then I held down the light button down by itself and it turned back on.

-Joseph

Thanks. Same problem and only this worked. It's described as master reset at Garmin's support. All data gone though...

http://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId=%7B0439fb90-a761-11e0-d01c-000000000000%7D

lmxgar1
06-12-2013, 08:32 AM
In Germany we found an other solution:
disconnect from any cable and wait one day, then press light and the forerunner 210 is working again.
I could load the new data to training center software on windows via USB-Cable and charge of the rechargeable battery also works.

IBARENSE
06-24-2013, 08:54 PM
My screen went blank on the Forerunner 210. It would not wake up until I followed the procedure:

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces

1) clip on charging cord to charge. 2) press and hold light button for 15-20 sec. 3) upon release of light button the watch will wake. Worked for me. Good luck!

TOMBERGEVIN
07-07-2013, 08:54 PM
Here's the symptoms that I noticed when my FR 210 screen would go blank:
- attached USB clip to FR 210 to make sure it is properly seated
- plugged USB connector into USB port on my PC (Windows 7)
- FR 210 would attempt to save data from last run
- screen would go blank

I've seen this behavior a few times now and think that there may be a bug in the Garmin firmware.

There are about 3 different methods out there for resetting the FR 210. I've used them all with varying success.

Anybody else see these symptoms?

MURALHAPE
07-09-2013, 09:34 AM
- screen would go blank

I've seen this behavior a few times now and think that there may be a bug in the Garmin firmware.

There are about 3 different methods out there for resetting the FR 210. I've used them all with varying success.

I had this problem, and like you, I tried all the methods to the watch come back. None of them worked! I left the watch in charger for 1 day, after that I just left him and wait, after 4 days I put it in the charger again and it came back from life as nothing had happened !

DARCYTARR
07-10-2013, 08:30 AM
- screen would go blank

I've only owned the watch for a month and I have had the same exact problem a few times. Each time I have to hold the light button for 20 seconds and release, then it will power back on.

tappinen_jan
07-14-2013, 02:16 PM
- screen would go blank

I have experienced the exact same problem several times. This last time it also corrupted my activity. It has to be a bug.
Awakening it again is also to my experience working randomly.

Phillbreeze
07-28-2013, 10:54 PM
I tried 3-4 ways mentioned in previous comments, none worked. This one did! Thanks :)

OSCHIEHAYS
08-10-2013, 10:40 AM
This worked! Thank you.

SHARADSAXENA
08-10-2013, 11:31 PM
Hurray! That worked for me as well :) It went black as I tried to connect it to my MacBook Pro. Tried the menu+lap/recet for about 10 sec and then the light button to turn it back on. However I had to try three times before it worked. So hang in there if it doesn't work the first time :) so happy now, really thought it had died!
Thanks to the supportive forum. Thanks!

MWOODSWEBER
08-22-2013, 09:12 AM
I was having the same problem and had resorted to the above hard reset method to restore my watch on an almost daily basis. However, I seem to have figured out that the blank screen problem can be avoided completely if I save/reset after every activity (by holding down the lap/reset button for three seconds) before syncing with my computer. I hope this helps.

CHRISBIRKETT
08-23-2013, 07:54 AM
I got dressed for an early run this morning, put on my FR210, headed out the door, then noticed the screen was completely blank and unresponsive. Came to this thread after a quick Google, tried the suggested fixes, but nothing was working. When it was connected to the computer, it powered up fine and I could transfer files, but the instant I disconnected it the screen went blank.

After leaving it connected for a few minutes, it gave me a "low battery" warning when disconnected instead of instantly dying. I use my watch a couple times a day, and I generally leave it connected by USB so it stays charged. Like everyone else I have a terrible time with the clip connector, but I mostly work around it with some wiggling and cursing. I recall lying in bed last night I heard the USB connect/disconnect noise a few times, and I guess the connector somehow came loose, which resulted in the battery completely draining itself overnight. It seems to be charging okay now... I guess I won't be leaving it plugged in anymore. Just another option to consider.

HYESBEE
09-05-2013, 01:38 AM
This worked for me -
https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={6c85a300-7200-11e2-65d0-000000000000}

SDGROTHER
09-07-2013, 04:37 AM
Useful thread. I've had mine for a couple of weeks. I,ve used it inside a few times but today was the first time outside with the Cardiff Parkrun. I was looking forward to seeing all the data on screen but as I tried to connect it to my computer i got the blank screen. Managed to reset it by trying some of these methods but gutted I have lost my first outside run with garmin. It's now charging at the mains. Hope is it doesn't happen again!

JOHN.MING01@GMAIL.COM
09-08-2013, 11:04 AM

Holding the buttons down as described above seemed to at least wake up my Garmin to allow it charge. Baby steps... May return it for an upgrade if this continues. Stability issues, indeed.

DASHCTS
10-19-2013, 10:27 AM
My screen went blank on the Forerunner 210. It would not wake up until I followed the procedure:

1) clip on charging cord to charge. 2) press and hold light button for 15-20 sec. 3) upon release of light button the watch will wake. Worked for me. Good luck!

Heh it worked for me thanks!

CJPERS
10-24-2013, 05:28 PM

Thank you very much. I tried all the suggestions in the previous posts and none of them worked. This one finally did!

IVANTEO1973@GMAIL.COM
11-02-2013, 09:09 PM
The 210 is the most unstable device I have ever use. Frequently it loses charge completely, poor charging contacts (cannot charge when charger not mounted properly, turn on after powering off, no display, extremely slow gps satellite detection (can be 3 to 4 minutes) even open space. Feel like throwing it away.

MAFE23
01-07-2014, 08:05 PM
Im having the same issue...but what I can see here is that the only solution is to return to retailer? the reset options did not help....

CZYGARLICKE@GMAIL.COM
01-18-2014, 10:27 PM
Power off watch (press and hold Light, Yes on prompt)
Press and hold Start/Stop and Lap/Reset
Press and hold Light (three buttons should now be pressed in)
After first beep, release Start/Stop
After second beep, release Lap/Reset
Release Light

This works !

MADORUNNING
01-19-2014, 01:47 AM
I'll had the same problem here. But no solution works. I't get's even worse . In augustus 2013 the screen went black. Send the watch back to Garmin. After 3 weeks they send me a refurbished model of the 210. So i'll thought bad luck can happen But yesterday the forerunner 210 went black again :-(. So again i have to return it to the Garmin dealer. But i'm very disappointed in the watch. I have paid al lot of money for it but the quality is very bad en Garmin gives the customer the cold treatment. Worthless very worthless in fact. I'll read at this forum that this happens to many owners of the 210. So it isn't bad luck it looks like the problem is bigger then Garmin wil ever admit.

So i'll lost my believe en confidence in that worthless company called GARMIN. Shame on you Garmin.

Mary

JUSTJAN61
02-20-2014, 12:03 PM

This worked for me!! Thank you so much!

JOSONIC
02-21-2014, 07:06 AM

Many thanks, this worked.

Had previously used holding Menu & Lap and then Light button solution, but this solution didn't work this time.

SHUTTBEN
04-16-2014, 11:50 AM
My screen went black after unplugging it from the computer.

This worked for me:
1. Hold the light button in for more than 30 seconds. You will see no response, hear no beeps, nothing. This doesn't mean it is not working.

2. Let go of the light button and the do a normal reset by holding the light button in for 3-5 seconds.

The watch should turn on.

Source: http://www.8bitrocket.com/2013/11/18/12768/

KATASTOF
06-01-2014, 02:29 PM

Thanks a lot for this trick, that made it for me !! I was really glad not to have to hard-reset my watch.

Also I updated the software with the dedicated garmin WebUpdater and the new version should be free of this problem. Great news :)
With all this I must say that I'm really fond of this 210 watch.

ONEL4MM
06-27-2014, 10:12 PM

YEAH! THIS WORKED!!!!!!:cool: