PDA

View Full Version : HR and Calories Issue

TOUGHCREEK
09-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Just pulled my 310xt with HR monitor out of it's box for the first time yesterday and ran an easy 4 miles. It is my first time tracking HR, so the inexperience is the reason for this thread.

Profile: I am a 34 year-old male, 180 lbs., have just gotten into running over the past 6 months, and am putting in 5-ish hours/week of running.

First I noticed my HR at rest... 50 bpm. Seemed kind of low.
During the run, my HR got up to 219, averaging 178 across the run. I wasn't exerting myself much... could still carry on conversation. Is this high? I did have the monitor around chest just above the bottom of my sternum, and I wet the electrodes.

Calorie burn was recorded at 68 C over the 4 mile distance. I know this is wrong. Any ideas on how to make this more accurate?

I'll try it again today during an 8-miler and see how it goes.

TOUGHCREEK
09-09-2009, 11:49 AM
Here is the Garmin Connect (http://connect.garmin.com/player/12916059) info on my 4-miler.

SEILOGRAMP
09-09-2009, 12:23 PM
First I noticed my HR at rest... 50 bpm. Seemed kind of low.

It's all relative to what it used to be. Your resting heart rate was probably higher before you started your running regimen.

During the run, my HR got up to 219, averaging 178 across the run. I wasn't exerting myself much... could still carry on conversation. Is this high?

Again, relative to what? Compared to me, that is quite high. My max is probably around 168. Around 120 for an easy paced run. But everyone's different, so I wouldn't be alarmed. Going forward, if you are going to do training based on heart rate you should have your max HR tested.

Calorie burn was recorded at 68 C over the 4 mile distance. I know this is wrong. Any ideas on how to make this more accurate

When you first powered on the 310 you should have been asked to enter an Activity Class. Activity Class is a number from 0 (no exercise) to class 10 (exercise 15 hours per week). The classes are based on An Energy Expenditure Estimation Method Based on Heart Rate Measurement, from Lifebeat Fitness. Also, as stated in the manual, "For the most accurate calorie data, set your maximum heart rate and resting heart rate."

MUSILJAN
09-09-2009, 01:09 PM
If this is the first time you use the new belt - make sure to moisten the electrodes and press them to your body. It should fit snuggly to get proper reading.

I assume that your post implies that your resting HR should be different than what you see on the watch. And the run HR should be different from the reading. Well the moist belt will help get proper reading.

Otherwise I agree with Phil - your resting HR will change with training.

TOUGHCREEK
09-09-2009, 01:15 PM
SEILOGRAMP, thanks for getting back on this so quickly. At the risk of sounding completely ignorant, I have to ask: Where does a person go to get max HR tested?

As far as my forerunner profile, I entered my class as 7. My HR at rest has been left blank, but my HR max was figured according to the info input at startup. After finding a place to test my HR at rest and HR max, I'll reconfigure my profile and check the calorie count after that.

T_SMIT
09-09-2009, 09:24 PM
Did you get the soft strap or the hard strap? Either way, make sure that the strap is snug enough and that it's right side up (the Garmin logo should be properly legible by someone facing you). Was it very windy when you were running?

Heart rates are as individual as the runners themselves, but your recorded HR (from the TCX file) would put you in about the 99th percentile as far as high heart rates are concerned. At 216 bpm you would not be having a casual conversation regardless of your fitness level.

You can determine if the HR being displayed is correct at any time during your run by feeling your pulse (the carotid artery works for me) and counting the beats over a 15 second interval. Multiply by 4 and your answer should be similar to what's being displayed on the watch. If there's a big error then you should try one of the various remedies:

-tighten the strap
- make sure it's on right side up
- make sure the electrodes (not the center part of the strap) are moistened slightly where they contact the skin
- try antistatic remedies such as rubbing your shirt with a Bounce  sheet

TOUGHCREEK
09-09-2009, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the input. When first setting up my forerunner profile, the HR at rest was left blank. At SEILOGRAMP's suggestion, I entered my resting heart rate at 50 bpm, and it seemed to do the trick. Details on the run are here (http://connect.garmin.com/player/12983952). My HR average dropped to 150 bpm, and my HR max was 175 bpm even though I was exerting myself a great deal more than yesterday's run. Even the calorie count seemed more accurate at 556 C for 5 miles after completing my profile input.

Cheers.

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
09-10-2009, 03:24 AM
Loose, flappy shirts can cause static interference at the beginning of runs. That will elevate averages too.

Try a tighter fitting shirt and well lubricated contacts and see how that looks at the start of a run