PDA

View Full Version : Recovery Heart Rate Message

GSLADER
09-09-2009, 04:58 AM
I recently started receiving a message on my 310xt several minutes (I think between 3 and 5 minutes) after I stop any workout (running, biking, etc.) - it is a square box in the middle of the display that says "Recovery Heart Rate" and displays whatever my heart rate is at the time. Usually the display lasts for about 5 seconds then disappears, a few times however the display freezes and I have to cycle my unit (off/on) to get it to go away. Two questions: i) what is the recovery heart rate message (I can't find any info in the manual or online) and ii) has anyone else had troubles with it freezing on screen?

SEILOGRAMP
09-09-2009, 05:04 AM
This was a new feature implemented in the latest firmware update (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/fr310update.jsp?null&ra=true). Therefore, it is not included in the manual. I have not had an issue with it causing the unit to freeze. Are you letting the message go away on its own?

Changes made from version 2.40 to 2.60:

Fixed file corruption that was causing transfer failures with Garmin Ant Agent.
Added a Memory Details feature to the History menu.
Recovery HR message will now only show when it is supposed to.
ANT+ power data improvements.
Added safeguards to correct issues where a unit would not power on.
Improved execution of courses.
Fixed various minor issues.

Recovery Heart Rate is the heart rate that your body will decrease to after an exercise session. It is used to evaluate your fitness level after exercise.

CHESILBOY
09-09-2009, 08:12 AM
The message does stay for quite a while. I think it goes away if you press the ENTER key....

GSLADER
09-09-2009, 12:11 PM
Guys - thanks for all the comments, that clears up a lot. As for it freezing on the screen I would say that it has stayed up on the screen for 45 seconds or so. I haven't tried pushing the "enter" button to remove it but will try that next time.

SEILOGRAMP - How can I use the recovery heart rate to evaluate my fitness? Are there certain thresholds that it should be in as a percentage of my max?

Thanks

philipshambrook
09-09-2009, 02:32 PM
http://www.gbboyscadetepee.co.uk/HeartRateRecovery.doc

This will give you some indication. Basically, the fitter you are, the quicker your heart rate will drop after exertion.

DW152
09-09-2009, 04:35 PM
Does this recovery heart rate message come on automatically after every workout, or is there some setting we're supposed to use to make it come on (or to keep it off)?

SEILOGRAMP
09-09-2009, 04:40 PM
Does this recovery heart rate message come on automatically after every workout, or is there some setting we're supposed to use to make it come on (or to keep it off)?

Mine just started appearing after the firmware update. Couldn't find any way to suppress it or allow it.

EKUTTER
09-18-2009, 09:48 AM
Maybe someone from Garmin could explain how and when they display this. How does the 310 decide what your recovery HR is? Without knowing what their thought process is, this is just a number that happens to be your current HR some unknown time after you hit the stop button. This really should be a configurable property so you know when your HR is down to what you decide is your recovery HR.

In general, Garmin is really bad about documenting new features. I don't think the Edge 705 manual has changed since it came out almost two years ago even though there have been many significant functionality changes/improvements.

KAFOLSKE
09-18-2009, 11:47 AM
When you say "After a workout", do you mean after a workout where you pressed "Mode->Training Workouts", or do you mean after an workout where you turned the watch on, waited for satellites and pressed "Start"?

-Keith

NDURANCERIDER
09-18-2009, 12:16 PM
Maybe someone from Garmin could explain how and when they display this. How does the 310 decide what your recovery HR is? Without knowing what their thought process is, this is just a number that happens to be your current HR some unknown time after you hit the stop button. This really should be a configurable property so you know when your HR is down to what you decide is your recovery HR.

Not a Garmin employee, but I can tell you the "recovery HR" is what your HR is 2 minutes after pressing the stop button. Maybe the label/name should be different than "Recovery HR" as it's more of a 2-minute post workout HR check.

I agree, it would be nice to configure what the minute is for checking. Instead of 2 minutes, maybe I want the check at 5 minutes.

And for a true recovery, it would be nice to ask for an alert when one's HR reaches a certain (configurable) HR after pressing the stop button.

Both those suggestions warrant a note to Garmin Support (http://www.garmin.com/support).

April

EKUTTER
09-18-2009, 12:59 PM
By workout, I mean any time I press the start button, do my exercise, and then press the stop button. At some point (usually a few minutes) after the stop button is pressed, it brings up the little window that says something like "Recovery Heart Rate: 82". This has nothing to do with the "Training Workout's".

In response to NDURANCERIDER, 2 minutes that you use is an arbitrary number some people and some conventions use. I have also seen it where a specific HR is considered your recovery value and you rest how ever many minutes it takes to get down to that point. I just want to understand what convention Garmin has chosen for this calculation.

MIDKNIGHTR
09-22-2009, 08:50 PM
My question is why doesn't it RECORD that number (sure it would be nice to be able to change things like the number of minutes after pressing stop). But the whole person of the wath is that it gives me a record and I don't have to write it down. I don't want to have to remember the number til I get home!

NDURANCERIDER
09-23-2009, 09:05 AM
Yes, I agree it would be handy to have the number recorded as well. I've suggested that already and it would be good if you also suggested it to Garmin Support (http://www.garmin.com/support).

April

philipshambrook
09-23-2009, 03:06 PM
When you say "After a workout", do you mean after a workout where you pressed "Mode->Training Workouts", or do you mean after an workout where you turned the watch on, waited for satellites and pressed "Start"?

-Keith
After you have completed a training activity whether that be simple start/stop, manual laps or programmed workout. Sometimes the terminology is a little confusing.

RGELVAN
10-25-2009, 08:21 AM
As I recall the 305 had an ajustable heart rate recovery - but only for interval training, I posted a requist a long time ago to garmin, that It would be great to have this feature also in normal mode, and as said here in this forum, it would be great I we could set our own heat rate and recovery time.;)

Recovery heat rate is a great way to see progress in your training. But as mentioned it would be best if one could set this by him self, as an exsample I have a max pulse on 200 and a resting pulse around 51...and I am 42 years old..- Maybe 2 min. is the correct time for mesure recovery ??

killara63_
06-06-2010, 06:27 AM
My question is why doesn't it RECORD that number (sure it would be nice to be able to change things like the number of minutes after pressing stop). But the whole person of the wath is that it gives me a record and I don't have to write it down. I don't want to have to remember the number til I get home!

You could always just press the STOP button when the recovery HR message appears on your screen, then wait for a second and press STOP again. That would then store a record of your recovery HR

philipshambrook
06-06-2010, 10:05 PM
As I recall the 305 had an ajustable heart rate recovery - but only for interval training, I posted a requist a long time ago to garmin, that It would be great to have this feature also in normal mode, and as said here in this forum, it would be great I we could set our own heat rate and recovery time.;)

Recovery heat rate is a great way to see progress in your training. But as mentioned it would be best if one could set this by him self, as an exsample I have a max pulse on 200 and a resting pulse around 51...and I am 42 years old..- Maybe 2 min. is the correct time for mesure recovery ??

Time period to measure recovery HR does not matter too much as long as it is a consistent one so that you can compare apples with apples. Well, unreasonably long would be largely irrelevant of course.

There are loads of articles on the subject and almost as many different opinions.

RRUUNN
06-09-2010, 01:13 PM
I recently started receiving a message on my 310xt several minutes (I think between 3 and 5 minutes) after I stop any workout (running, biking, etc.) - it is a square box in the middle of the display that says "Recovery Heart Rate" and displays whatever my heart rate is at the time. Usually the display lasts for about 5 seconds then disappears, a few times however the display freezes and I have to cycle my unit (off/on) to get it to go away. Two questions: i) what is the recovery heart rate message (I can't find any info in the manual or online) and ii) has anyone else had troubles with it freezing on screen?

Just click the enter button to clear it from the screen.

BELLTHORPE
06-10-2010, 12:38 AM
Today I got a message "recovery heartrate invalid". Has anyone seen this, or have any idea what might cause it? Everything else on the display looked fine. My HR was 149 when I stopped running, and 84 when the message flashed up.

philipshambrook
06-10-2010, 03:07 AM
Today I got a message "recovery heartrate invalid". Has anyone seen this, or have any idea what might cause it? Everything else on the display looked fine. My HR was 149 when I stopped running, and 84 when the message flashed up.

Are you still breathing :D

STEVEKN
06-10-2010, 03:11 AM
I got this once when I had taken the heart rate strap off before the 2 minute recovery time was up!

But as you had a heart rate reading at this point I don't know.

Steve

TGLIMP
07-20-2010, 10:23 AM
Consistent with what others have posted, conventional wisdom is that a key indicator of your fitness level is how much your HR drops 90-120 seconds after you stop exerting. I've always tracked it with the assumption that a drop of 50 beats or more during this recovery indicates a good fitness level.

Recovery heart rate also give you a good sense of other factors (like weather, terrrain, distance), where, say, on a cool, dry day your recovery HR is 55, on a hot, humid day it's 45.

iilux_
07-20-2010, 06:46 PM
No point having this feature if it isn't configurable and logged. I'd rather want to turn it off then. What is this, a world wide beta test? Better take more time, do it well and roll it out Garmin.

SCHOENGEIST
07-26-2010, 01:26 AM
You could always just press the STOP button when the recovery HR message appears on your screen, then wait for a second and press STOP again. That would then store a record of your recovery HR

Sure?

BELLTHORPE
07-31-2010, 01:50 AM
Today I got a message "recovery heartrate invalid". Has anyone seen this, or have any idea what might cause it? Everything else on the display looked fine. My HR was 149 when I stopped running, and 84 when the message flashed up.Are you still breathing :D

As best I can determine yes, I appear to be. Although appearances can of course be deceptive.

Why do you ask? The heart rate drop isn't what I would call out of line.

In any case, I contacted Garmin support who (as I'm sure they always do) suggested I upgrade the microcode. I though I was at the latest level but wasn't. The message has not re-appeared.

amusant42
10-24-2010, 11:26 AM
http://www.gbboyscadetepee.co.uk/HeartRateRecovery.doc

This will give you some indication. Basically, the fitter you are, the quicker your heart rate will drop after exertion.

Helpful, thanks.

I love having the Recovery data. Would rather have it also stored and will make that suggestion but its critical info for those concerned with heart health.

michaelawelch
12-23-2010, 03:48 AM
It would be nice if the recovery heart rate info was logged as well! I'm definitely interested in knowing if mine is improving over time.

ruskie-it
12-23-2010, 06:44 AM
As best I can determine yes, I appear to be. Although appearances can of course be deceptive.

Why do you ask? The heart rate drop isn't what I would call out of line.

In any case, I contacted Garmin support who (as I'm sure they always do) suggested I upgrade the microcode. I though I was at the latest level but wasn't. The message has not re-appeared.

I wonder what the watch would say, knowing I have a resting HR of 46bpm on average... :D
By the way, there's no standard in measuring a "recovery heartrate", and currently anything works, provided you use a consistent method.
I, for example, wait until my beats drop to 130, then I time 1 minute and record the final hr.
The fitter you are, the lower it will be.

philipshambrook
12-23-2010, 12:20 PM
Helpful, thanks.

I love having the Recovery data. Would rather have it also stored and will make that suggestion but its critical info for those concerned with heart health.

Since it appears after the activity has been stopped, and remains until Enter is pressed, it's easy enough to write the data down afterwards. But then, if it is that critical, you are probably doing that anyway.

richardglover
01-14-2011, 01:42 AM
I've had a search but I can't find the answer to this, I'm hoping one of you can solve it!

On my 310XT when the recovery message comes up it says:

Recovery Heart Rate
x bpm [y bpm]

I take it x is my heart rate after the two minutes, but what is y? Sometimes it says 1 bpm, sometimes it's 12,18, 30...

ALAALA
01-14-2011, 01:56 AM
On my 310XT when the recovery message comes up it says:
I take it x is my heart rate after the two minutes, but what is y? Sometimes it says 1 bpm, sometimes it's 12,18, 30...

It is the drop from stop.

philipshambrook
01-14-2011, 01:56 AM
Number of beats per minute your heart rate drops from the rate when you pressed stop. If you stop at 135 and your hear rate drops to 75, then the reading you'd expect would be 30.

It is likely to be much higher if you stop the device immediately you stop exercising at a higher intensity.

For me, since I always do at least 10 minutes of low intensity exercise before stopping (Z2-Z1), it's usually around 30 - 35 bpm. I daresay if I stopped at RPE 4 (Z4) for instance,it would be (hopefully) considerably higher.

richardglover
01-14-2011, 02:15 AM
I see, it's probably so low because of how I use the 310XT.

I cycle and normally forget to stop the activity until I've locked my bike up, walked to my office, got sat down and it's beeped at me to say it's lost GPS reception.

I just need to remember to stop it straight away, cheers!

SWIFT8090
01-28-2011, 06:05 AM
I think when a link is made between the size of a bpm drop and fitness level , there should also always be a link to the bpm when exercise is stopped. Often this latter point is not mentioned. If I stop at 165 bpm, my drop after Y mins will be alot more than if I stop at 140 bpm. So the comment that a fall in X bpm over Y minutes by itself is too general and a little meaningless. I think the point has been made on this thread but I think it's worth highlighting !

STEVEKN
01-28-2011, 04:08 PM
I find that the two minute time is too long.
My heart rate nearly always drops to 99bpm after the two minutes irrespective of whether I was training hard or at a moderate effort. ( ie from 150 or 130bpm)

Pretty useless really, especially since the value isn't even recorded.

It is useful however to remind me to turn the watch off!

Steve

LUCFORTIN
01-28-2011, 04:23 PM
[...]Pretty useless really, especially since the value isn't even recorded.

It is useful however to remind me to turn the watch off!

Steve

lol I have never seen it that way. I'll remember that it's a gentle reminder to trun off the watch. Maybe they should change the message displayed accordingly. :p

Tisztul_A_Visztula
01-02-2013, 12:29 PM
I got the Recovery HR msg only once or twice right after I bought the watch, that is in the early testing phase. No msg for a while.

My general habit is to press Reset almost immediately after pushing Stop, because some softwares to keep records of sport activities do not like pauses or just simply do not handle them in a perfect way (they just focus on the speed instead to decide whether moving or resting).

Whether do you think that Resetting supresses the calculation of RecoveryHR? It wouldnt need to. Maybe Garmin wanted to make it possible to calculate multiple Recovery HRs in one activity letting people make it calculate pressing Stop and not Reset, but even in this case pressing Reset shouldnt annul the calculation process, especially because Garmin did not opt for saving Recovery HR into the .fit file.

So what d'ya think?

COOPERPHILE
09-10-2013, 11:52 AM
From an FAQ: What is Recovery Heart Rate? (http://goo.gl/LchLKt)