PDA

View Full Version : Putting GPS files onto a 310 XT (gpx file)

STUARTRAV
09-07-2009, 06:05 AM
Hi,

I am hoping that someone can help me. I have entered the London to Brighton off road bike ride and the promoters have emailed me a GPS file of the route, (it is listed as a .gpx file). Can I upload the file to my 310 XT so that it has the route? If not please can someone suggest the best way of putting the route onto my 310XT.

Many thanks
Stuart

MELZORRO
09-07-2009, 06:25 AM
With Garmin Training Center you can send a course to your 310XT.
Course files can be recognized with .CRS or .TCX filetype.

You can create a course file from your gpx file with sites like gpsies.com or bikeroutetoaster.com

jesper2730
09-07-2009, 06:29 AM
Hi

What I normally do is to go to http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx and upload the gpx file (Courses tab). After upload the course will be shown. Now you can edit the course if you want and upload it to your 310XT (use the Summary tab).

I'm sure there's plenty of ways to do this, but this works fine for me.

/Jesper

PUFFOLINO
09-07-2009, 02:32 PM
For such things I wrote a Converter (http://mr.vogel.googlepages.com/Converter.exe) and the Garmin Training Center (to make a Course), feel free to use it...

Michael

Bells Point
10-02-2009, 03:05 PM
Can someone give me a bit more info /description of this please?

If you can load GPS/GPX files onto the 310 xt, what do you end up seeing on the 310 xt screen? A map of the route? A line drawn of the route?
Does an arrow point you in the right direction?

I have not read anything about this in all of the reviews which i have read, so any info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

EKUTTER
10-02-2009, 09:38 PM
BikeRouteToaster.com is your friend here.
- click on the course creator.
- then on the "Courses" tab.
- Click on "choose file" and specify your .gpx file.
- Then click on "upload GPX".
If you then go to the "map" tab, you should see your course drawn.
To get it on your 310, select the "Summary" tab. Then click on "To File: tcx". specify the file name.
Then use Training Center to import this .tcx file in the "courses" tab.
Finally, click on "Send to Device" in Training Center.
Now what does this give you? If you select this course on your 310xt (menu/training/courses), you will get a track line on the map page showing your track. You will also get a couple other field pages showing you details about your course like how much you have left, and a compass showing direction to the course if you are off of it. Play with it before your ride/race as it can get a bit confusing. If you set details like expected speed on the map page within BikeRouteToaster, it will show you where you are actually at relative to your expected speed.
There is currently no way to directly put .gpx files on your 310.

MELZORRO
10-05-2009, 06:21 AM
I'm very pleased with a tool names gpx2crs. With this you can create a crs file with directions.
The tool has the ability to add turns (left, right) to your course file.
With this possibility you are alerted when a turn is reached on your trip.

Here's a post by SomeJoe from the previous forum : http://forums.motionbased.com/smf/index.php?topic=2088.0

You can download the application here: http://www.niniu.com/Garmin/Gpx2Crs.zip (http://www.niniu.com/Garmin/Gpx2Crs.zip).

http://www.niniu.com/Garmin/Gpx2Crs.png

EKUTTER
10-05-2009, 10:23 AM
This is a great tool if you have a .gpx track. I have been using it for a couple years. It doesn't do any track creation but if you already have a track and just want to quickly convert it to a course, it is great. Note it creates a .crs file rather than a .tcx file. The 310 should handle these just fine. Garmin seems to be heading more in the direction of .tcx files with newer products (at least their fitness products). Garmin Training Center will import either format but only seems to generate the .tcx files.

JFWOOD2003
05-21-2010, 12:00 PM
Hi

I wanted to plot a 50 mile bike ride then load it onto my 310xt to follow the route.

I created the tcx file in www.bikehike.co.uk

I saved it to file - then imported it into garmin training centre.

next i clicked on the device menu tab, then clicked send to device.

both computer and 310xt indicated transferring data.

on the 310xt i clicked mode - training - courses

what come up is the word course, a square empty field and a tab saying New

When i press enter it lists courses I have previously run/ biked - but i can't find the course i created - where did it go??

what did i do wrong??? :confused:

MELZORRO
05-22-2010, 01:18 AM
Maybe your course memory is full?
Or the course has too many waypoints?
According to my memory it's max. 100 waypoints in 1 course.

JFWOOD2003
05-22-2010, 02:11 AM
hey thanks - how would i empty the course memory??

there are courses i've run there - if i select "New" then press enter it brings the course out - if i select "delete" on the course it seems to just take it from the front page list - but i think its still there in the selectable list when you click on "new".

re: way points - i didn't create any waypoint - i just drew out a route - are they automatically created by the page i'm using do you think? (can you tell I don't realy know what a way point is? ;) )

JFWOOD2003
05-22-2010, 02:28 AM
with a bit more playing - the list i have been going to when selecting "new" from the courses page - is my history (so viewable from selecting history instead of courses from my previous menu).

i have tried deleting my history - didn't work - i'll try creating the course somewhere else. :confused: :confused:

MELZORRO
05-22-2010, 03:29 AM
OK, I think you're new at this. So you probably don't have a full memory.
But you can check this out in the history menu, memory details.

Your course is created with waypoints. These are points on the route you've placed by creating the route.

So you could try creating a short route and see if it works.

JFWOOD2003
05-22-2010, 09:20 AM
yep i created a little route - it said transferring data - i can't find it on the 310xt.

EYLESG
09-01-2010, 03:47 AM
Hi,

I am hoping that someone can help me. I have entered the London to Brighton off road bike ride and the promoters have emailed me a GPS file of the route, (it is listed as a .gpx file). Can I upload the file to my 310 XT so that it has the route? If not please can someone suggest the best way of putting the route onto my 310XT.

Many thanks
Stuart

Hi Stuart I'm also running the London to Brighton and don't have the maps yet! Any chance you can email me the GPS file you have?

Thanks

George

freewheeller
06-04-2013, 10:34 AM
Jesper2730, this is great, thanks!