PDA

View Full Version : AT Testing Question (help please)

MLADIS
02-27-2011, 05:08 PM
I am new to the forum. I have been running for several years and recently started with a trainer using heart rate monitoring. I am 39 yrs old and in decent shape. He tried to find My AT on the treadmill and got my heart rate up to around 160 where i could barely keep up for more than 5 more minutes. He guessed my AT at 155. He got me on a training interval program in different levels and he gets me up to 155 and i can barely keep up. I feel this is way to much for me. He told me to go to a gym and get my AT and VO2 done. I ran for 15 minutes and couldnt get higher tha 145 and i was huffing and puffing with the ,ask on. The test showed my AT at 116. I am now very confused. I do have low blood pressure. 100/58. Any advIce here. I now dont know what to believe. Thank you.

LUMPYNOSE
02-27-2011, 08:46 PM
I would do like he said, get a Lactate Threshold test. Go to google.com and search for

lactate threshold test san francisco

But replace san francisco with your city.

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
02-27-2011, 09:23 PM
Ensure you get a medical assessment before beginning any exercise program or testing

Or do this yourself and you'll get a good enough reading;

Warm up for 15 minutes easy to aerobic
Press lap on your device and run hard for 10 mins
Press lap on your device and keep running hard for 20 mins, pushing all the time to keep as fast as you can.
Push lap on your device and cool down to easy for 15 mins.

Your average HR for the 20 mins will be pretty close to your lactate threshold LHT. From there you can calculate HR training zones as follows:

Zone 1 - 65% - 75% LHT
Zone 2 - 75% - 85%
Zone 3 - 85% - 95%
Zone 4 - 95% - 105%
Zone 5 - 105% plus

The majority of your training will be done in Zone 2. Especially the case if you are new to exercising or coming back after a long absence.

There are other ways out there that will yield different numbers. This is just one way, and the one I use.