PDA

View Full Version : Foretrex tracks help.

COLINOMAN
02-20-2011, 10:02 AM
Hi All,
I've had my Foretrex 401 for a couple of weeks now and I don't fully understand how tracks and the tracklog work. Issues are:

1. When I set off for a run I reset the trip data and clear the tracklog, but when I download to GarminConnect a straight line from where the unit was last switched off is added to the track of my run. A real pain if the previous run was completed 60km from the start of the next one! It also screws up the pace data as the full distance is recorded against the actual time of my run giving me a vastly over-inflated average pace. The straight line bit is also recorded as an almost instantaneous part of the trip giving a max speed in the thousands of kph. How do I prevent this?

2. When I download, I also get a bunch of other tracks which I don't want. There's usually one which has recorded from when the unit is switched on until I reset the logs to start my run, but there is usually also an 'almost duplicate' (within a few minutes/m) of my actual run, sometimes without a track appearing on the activities map. There can also be a couple of shorter tracks appearing randomly at intervals within my run (maybe a 5 min stretch in the middle of an hour run). These are all in addition to the one I actually want.

3. I'm off for a 15 day trek in a few weeks and won't have the ability to download any tracks so need the most efficient way to record my track. I don't need it to be particularly detailed, but will need to record about 6 hours a day for 15 days. Can I do it, and if so how should I do it?

Answers to any or all most appreciated!

GVSA123
07-28-2013, 11:31 PM
I just got my first ever gps device and it happens to be a 401. of course I have to educate myself about how to properly use the features to maximize data usage. Did you get to figure out how to solve your issue? I know it's quite a while since your post, but it's worth a shot. lol

CRAIG_WALLACE
07-29-2013, 04:37 AM
This is a really old thread, but anyway:

1. Best to give the GPS time to figure out where it is first. So switch it on, then leave it for a minute or so, before clearing the track. That should avoid lines from the previous location.

2. Not sure where you are getting the extra tracks from. This might happen if you are saving the track. I think its best to avoid saving the track, as it loses details. Instead just record to the "Active log" and download that.
Also, I suggest using Garmin BaseCamp to download tracks. Then you can see what's there, and join or split sections as necessary, or delete parts you don't want. Then save as a GPX and upload to Garmin Connect.

3. The Foretrex 401 can record 10,000 points in the active log. So if you set it to record 1 point per minute, that should have enough space, and be fairly detailed. Though you may notice the track cutting corners.
Or maybe set the record interval to "Auto", with resolution "Lowest". I usually prefer the interval on Auto mode, as it records more points on the twisty bits, and less when you are going in a straight line or stopped. Though I'm not sure how many points this would record, try it out beforehand.

GVSA123
08-07-2013, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the reply Craig. I realised the need to clear and allow the gps to figure out where it is in an actual trip. I upload a gpx file to follow, but my foretrex was not making sense with the terrain - this when I realised the need to clear track log and elevation, etc... AND re-calibrate the compass as well. I do that now every time I turn my unit on.

I`m not sure I understand your suggestion to avoid saving the track and instead record to Active Log.

I went in the forums today trying to search for some hints as to why I have multiple tracks saved for my run today. One particular issue is that one of them did not detect or save any changes in my HRM - it just gives me one value all throughout the run, while as the other I think has the more accurate HRM data as it varies throughout the course. The other thing is that they have different data - TOTAL ODO, TOTAL TIME, STOPPED AND MOVING TIME, ELEVATION DATA, NUMBER OF POINTS, ETC...

Now common sense would tell you which one is correct, but should this be considered a bug - or is there a reason multiple tracks are being saved

CHUCKTIN
10-23-2013, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the reply Craig. I realised the need to clear and allow the gps to figure out where it is in an actual trip. I upload a gpx file to follow, but my foretrex was not making sense with the terrain - this when I realised the need to clear track log and elevation, etc... AND re-calibrate the compass as well. I do that now every time I turn my unit on.

I`m not sure I understand your suggestion to avoid saving the track and instead record to Active Log.

I went in the forums today trying to search for some hints as to why I have multiple tracks saved for my run today. One particular issue is that one of them did not detect or save any changes in my HRM - it just gives me one value all throughout the run, while as the other I think has the more accurate HRM data as it varies throughout the course. The other thing is that they have different data - TOTAL ODO, TOTAL TIME, STOPPED AND MOVING TIME, ELEVATION DATA, NUMBER OF POINTS, ETC...

Now common sense would tell you which one is correct, but should this be considered a bug - or is there a reason multiple tracks are being saved

I saw the same thing - we were in Georgia and I turned off the 401 while we drove back to Fla. ~ a week later I turned on the 401 and the track I saw in BaseCamp included a straight line connecting Ga to Florida.

I suppose this is a "feature"? as the 401 is holding the track in memory. I haven't looked at the last tracks in BaseCamp yet - the ones generated last weekend while we were practicing for a horse carriage competition but I did see that the 401 displayed (on it's screen) 2 tracks, an out-track & a return-track. I thought this reflected the (lack of) accuracy built into a GPS track.

cvt