PDA

View Full Version : Number of steps on a run when using a foot pod

HANPALANPA
02-13-2011, 09:50 AM
When I first used the SDM4 foot pod, I was surprised that the total number of steps for the run wasn't shown in Garmin Connect. I discussed this with some friends and they were also surprised. Although this is not the primary use of the foot pod, the number of steps would still be interesting.

It might be the case that this is not possible if required data are not sent from the foot pod to the Forerunner device.

I exported the run to a tcx file and found step entries but they all had zero values. Why? I'm using a 310XT with SDM4.

SHENWICK60
03-08-2011, 08:01 PM
I have the same issue using a 305 with a new foot pod. Have used the foot pod twice, once on the treadmill [GPS off] and once outside [GPS on]. For each activity, the average cadence [strides per minute] were reported for every lap, however the number of steps is reported as a blank. Now, I suppose that I could just do the math of "cadence X minutes X2 steps/stride" to calculate the number of steps, but the precision isn't great. However to calculate the cadence, the device MUST be recording strides...it would be nice to see that value...any ideas on how to see the 'steps' value?

JIM_TSETSOS
05-22-2011, 11:01 PM
I have the same issue using a 305 with a new foot pod. Have used the foot pod twice, once on the treadmill [GPS off] and once outside [GPS on]. For each activity, the average cadence [strides per minute] were reported for every lap, however the number of steps is reported as a blank. Now, I suppose that I could just do the math of "cadence X minutes X2 steps/stride" to calculate the number of steps, but the precision isn't great. However to calculate the cadence, the device MUST be recording strides...it would be nice to see that value...any ideas on how to see the 'steps' value?

Me too! Any ideas on how to see the "Steps" value??

JIM_TSETSOS
05-27-2011, 06:39 AM
According to this: http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2011/03/pegs-posts-foot-podology.html

First and foremost, you ought to know what this tiny tool is ó an accelerometer. And what itís not ó a pedometer.

But you should be able to configure your watch to:

The secondary purpose of the foot pod is to track your running cadence, or foot strikes per minute. Certain compatible Forerunners like the 310XT, 405 series and 410, can even display cadence or number of total steps, on the watch if you customize the data fields to show that data.