PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose

MICHLWILLMS
02-10-2011, 02:26 PM
I need help with choosing a Forerunner.

I'm mainly going to be using it for cycling to track my miles along with heart rate and sometimes, I'll use a trainer indoors.

I'm looking at getting a Forerunner 305 or a 310xt.

I'm a big guy and like big watches and am afraid of that the 305 will be small. I don't know if it's made for women or men.

I've only been cycling for a couple of years and have been using an app on my phone. Right now all I'm concerned about is miles and heart rate, in the future I might want to get a little more advanced.

Some advise please.

DW152
02-10-2011, 03:02 PM
I doubt that you will think a 305 is small. It's a big, geeky thing to wear on your wrist. The 310xt is a bit smaller, but I don't think you'll find that it's small either. I've attached a photo I took of the 305, 310, and the Suunto Vector for comparison.

As far as differences between the 305 and 310 -- there are a lot of threads on this subject. The 305 has a very attractive price right now and it's hard to argue against that. The primary advantages (IMHO) of the 310 compared to the 305 are: longer battery life; waterproof vs water resistant; better backlight; vibrating alarms. The 310 also has wireless data transfer through the Ant stick and a few other features. Your best bet is to go to the Garmin website and use the comparison tool to compare the two devices.

However, neither of these is really designed to be worn as a daily watch. If you want that, you might look into one of the 405 models.

You say that you are a cyclist, so you may want to consider getting and Edge. Nothing wrong with a Forerunner, but Edges are made for cycling. They have a barometric altimeter, a slightly larger screen, and some models have the buttons oriented more for a cyclist.

MICHLWILLMS
02-10-2011, 10:12 PM
Thanks, I actually like the 305 now that I see it on your arm next to the 310. I'm not going to be wearing it for a watch, only when I'm riding. My gym has an endurance spin class and I want to be able to track my heart rate and calories while riding.

STIIVERS
02-11-2011, 01:52 AM
Thanks, I actually like the 305 now that I see it on your arm next to the 310. I'm not going to be wearing it for a watch, only when I'm riding. My gym has an endurance spin class and I want to be able to track my heart rate and calories while riding.

The 305 can NOT track calories on a spinningbike. Calorie estimate on the 305 is based on speed and distance, and not very accurate for cycling anyway.

Stig

MOREY000
02-11-2011, 05:31 PM
if you wear the watch while riding- you won't be able to see the watch. At least not if you're using regular road bike bars.

spend $13 and get the adapter so that the watch fits around the bars, right in front of your face.