PDA

View Full Version : Leaving the watch permantly on charge ?

IRONKEV
09-05-2009, 05:58 AM
So that i dont lose my watch i tend to leave it connected to the usb charger all the time, can a mod advise if this is good practice or should i disconnect it when its at 100%

Thanks in advance

SEILOGRAMP
09-05-2009, 06:58 AM
Li-ion have no problems remaining plugged in. The only problem that has occurred is that if you have your computer set to go into standby, then your unit's battery will drain, since the USB ports don't push power while in standby. This could be problematic if you are set to start your activity with a dead battery.

Here's a quote from the MotionBased forum:

The Li-ion batteries have no "memory" effect and the only real protections required are over charge and maximum discharge.

The over charge protection is provided by the unit, i.e. it stops charging when full. This is essential as the batteries would catch fire if it wasn't there.

The discharge limiting minimum voltage is set by the unit as well, that's why it shuts off automatically as do mobile phones when the battery is low. To protect the battery.

Any charging within the "safe" window i.e between the minimum voltage and a fully charged battery is fine and Li-ion batteries can cope with it without issue. This is one of the major benefits of the type of battery. Normally 500 full to empty cycles will reduce the overall capacity by 50%, this is just a way of measuring the effect of aging and does not imply you have to cycle full to empty to get the most lifespan, there just has to be a comparative measure

Similar features are true of NiMH batteries and they are in fact more robust and can cope with overcharging (up to a rate of 0.1x capacity per hour) but they are larger and heavier for the same capacity.

Older NiCad and Lead Acid batteries need to be treated with more care.

Each battery type has specific charging and discharging characteristics so should only be used with the correct type of charger. E.g. NiMH uses constant current supply whereas Li-ion requires a constant voltage and absolutely MUST be charged with a smart charger or inside a system that regulates charging like the Edge units do.

IRONKEV
09-05-2009, 08:23 AM
Thanks

TRIASTROJUAN
10-18-2013, 01:34 AM
The over charge protection is provided by the unit, i.e. it stops charging when full.

Does this apply to all garmin watches like 310xt?

Tisztul_A_Visztula
10-19-2013, 02:27 PM
The over charge protection is provided by the unit, i.e. it stops charging when full.

Does this apply to all garmin watches like 310xt?

Since you made similar posts in three threads, I think you got the answer, didnt you?