PDA

View Full Version : Deciding between a foot pod or a GPS watch

berryblondeboys
01-25-2011, 03:05 PM
Let me start out by saying, I'm not running, but walking, but I plan to do a lot of walking. We live in a planned community in Maryland and we have a lot of paths everywhere with mature trees.

My first inkling, after doing a lot of reading, was to get the Garmin 210, but do I 'need' GPS? Would a foot pod do just as well? Yet, a foot pod doesn't take into account that I'm walking uphill, or downhill and since I'm doing all this walking for weight loss and fitness, I want to get accurate information, including really good estimates on calories burned (for motivational reasons).

On the other hand, I do some fitness with walking in place on a treadmill - GPS is worthless for that, I need a foot pod. Foot pods are designed for athletic shoes. In summer, I often don't wear sneakers, but sport sandals, will the pod work on that?

It's so confusing! I've had my finger on the buy it now button twice for both the Garmin FR60 and the Forerunner 210, but I can't decide!

Besides that, I have very large wrists. The female watch fits nicer with width of band, but I can barely get it to latch on the largest hole. The men's watches are so bulky that they sit on my wrist and somewhat restrict movement. My arms are still too big to get it on my forearm more and not on the wrist. (though the plan is to make those forearms smaller, of course).

And, yes, a heart rate monitor is a must.

which is the better bet for a walker (who also does aerobics)?

DW152
01-25-2011, 04:59 PM
You may want to temper your expectations on accurate calorie counts. There is a lot of discussion on these forums on the accuracy of the Garmin fitness devices when they compute calories. Even with the best of information, figuring out how many calories a person burned during exercise is a difficult physiological problem.

Your other question is phrased as either footpod or GPS, but it's not quite that way. The FR60 uses a footpod only, but the 210 can use either GPS or a footpod. (For completeness, the 110 is GPS only.) I have a 210 that I normally use with GPS, but when I run on a treadmill I use a footpod.

I don't know how accurate the footpod is for walking. If you calibrate it while you walk, it should be accurate, but if you start running, you may want to re-calibrate it.

If you can figure out some way to mount the footpod to your sandals, I supposed it would work, but this is not something I've done myself.

As far as aerobics go, the footpod will not give you meaningful information. You can record your HR while you do aerobics.

berryblondeboys
01-25-2011, 06:05 PM
Thanks DW152. I guess I know calorie counters are estimates, but it helps me know if I'm at least consistent with my effort or not. Really, I'm exercising to be fit, eating right and for hunger and not calorie counting precisely.

I am so torn between a foot pod and the GPS. But it's also a $100 jump to get the GPS. Maybe I should just get the Forerunner 305. I'm a little worried that it's GPS isn't as good as the newer models though. I keep hearing how long it takes to get a signal and then imagine waiting outside in the heat or the cold waiting for a signal. And they are sooooo bulky. Ugh... too many decisions!

DW152
01-25-2011, 06:23 PM
I am so torn between a foot pod and the GPS. But it's also a $100 jump to get the GPS. Maybe I should just get the Forerunner 305. I'm a little worried that it's GPS isn't as good as the newer models though. I keep hearing how long it takes to get a signal and then imagine waiting outside in the heat or the cold waiting for a signal. And they are sooooo bulky. Ugh... too many decisions!

IMHO the 305 is a great value. I wouldn't worry too much about its GPS performance. I used mine for a long time and it worked pretty darn good, and it doesn't really take that long to get a fix. One minor difference of the 305 compared to the 210 is that you can leave the 305 outside while you are getting ready inside, and it will have a solid GPS fix by the time you are ready to go. You can't do that with the 210 because it will time out after 5 minutes.