PDA

View Full Version : Velcro strap for 310xt

POSITIVPAU405
09-03-2009, 07:42 PM
Have anyone find a Velcro strap that works with the 310xt (ala the one that comes with the 450cx) ??
I know Garmin offers the quick release strap but what I really wanted is a velcro strap to keep the watch tighter on my wrist.

If anyone found a garmin or third party velcro strap solution for the 310xt please let me know! :)

positiv

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
09-03-2009, 07:53 PM
I just wandered into a local outdoor shop and found one to suit.

KANSAIBEN
09-03-2009, 07:55 PM

Can you post a pic when you get a chance?

POSITIVPAU405
09-04-2009, 12:19 AM

Can you post who is the maker of the strap? Where did you buy it?
Thanks in advance.

POSITIVPAU405
09-04-2009, 11:35 AM
Perhaps someone tried this.
I have the extra velcro strap that came with my 405cx. Would it work on the 310xt? As I see it, it uses little attachments for the 405cx but there may be a way to use it on the 310xt. Any ideas?

DCRAINMAKER
09-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Perhaps someone tried this.
I have the extra velcro strap that came with my 405cx. Would it work on the 310xt? As I see it, it uses little attachments for the 405cx but there may be a way to use it on the 310xt. Any ideas?

It looks like it's perhaps about a 1/3rd of an inch too long for the 310XT(between the little pin areas). :( It would probably hold, but would be super-loose and bouncy, and likely cause eventual failure (of the strap, not the watch). Though strap fail could equal watch fail, given the right circumstances.

I checked both straps, mostly just cause they came in the mail yesterday.

SEILOGRAMP
09-05-2009, 07:33 AM
April has mentioned this (https://forums.garmin.com/showpost.php?p=4808&postcount=8).

POSITIVPAU405
09-06-2009, 11:45 AM
It looks like it's perhaps about a 1/3rd of an inch too long for the 310XT(between the little pin areas). :( It would probably hold, but would be super-loose and bouncy, and likely cause eventual failure (of the strap, not the watch). Though strap fail could equal watch fail, given the right circumstances.

I checked both straps, mostly just cause they came in the mail yesterday.

I just tried the 405cx velcro strap on my 310xt and it worked fine.
Just make sure to use the 310xt pin on the strap and it will hold just as good as if you had the original 'orange/gray' strap.
positiv

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
09-06-2009, 03:47 PM
Similar to this:

http://www.watchstraps-direct.co.uk/velcrostraps.html

LEOTHEFIRST
10-11-2009, 05:55 PM
Just found a somewhat decent velcro wristband for the 310XT. Found this one at Walmart of all places.

Fits and feels better than the rubber wristband that comes with the 310XT. This wristband has a widened padded section that separates the 310 from your wrist. Only $8.87. No trimming needed, the width and length where it attaches to the back of the 310 is perfect.

I used the pins that came with the wristband, they appear to be the same size and just as strong. I left the old pins in the rubber band that came with the 310XT. However now that I think about it, possibly the pins that came with the 310XT are "stainless steel" due to the fact that the 310 was made to be used in the water?

Took it for spin today on a coastal ride, and it fits just fine on the garmin handlebar mount bracket I bought at REI, and it attaches much quicker than trying to unhook the rubber wristband and metal latch. Took if for a run last night, and again, much quicker to put on and take off my wrist. Next I'll take it for a swim and suspect all will be well in the water also.

See the four pictures included.

SEILOGRAMP
10-11-2009, 05:59 PM
Just found a somewhat decent velcro wristband for the 310XT. Found this one at Walmart of all places.

Nice find. I'll have to check this out.

LEOTHEFIRST
10-12-2009, 03:52 PM
Just tried the wristband in the water, and seems to hold on real good. Just don't get any sand on the Velcro part of it.

I would prefer a "wider section" of Velcro, such as with the Velcro wristband that I had bought from Garmin for my F305.

However until Garmin produces a wristband made specifically for the 310XT, I believe this one will work just fine.

I'm happy with it. :D

NDURANCERIDER
10-12-2009, 04:39 PM
Nice!!

Here is a similar item. Doesn't say it's water resistant, so that might be the diff?

http://voguestrap.stores.yahoo.net/tx862962.html

I'm going to have to check out my Walmart.

April

TRYING2GOFAST
10-13-2009, 07:58 PM
Hmmm... think the strap from my old 301 will fit the 310??

may have to try it.

Dear Garmin, 310XT strap bites.

RVDOWNING
10-16-2009, 11:24 AM
Hmmm How long is the WalMart strap compared to the Garmin strap? I'm wondering if I could wear my sweatband under the 310XT. Would the strap still be long enough?

LEOTHEFIRST
10-16-2009, 03:46 PM
Hello RVDOWNING,

The length of the wristband I found at Walmart is about 10.75 inches "overall" once installed on the 310xt. (see the pic "wristband-1x" at my original post in this thread on 10/11/09) Keep in mind, with velcro, a portion of this length has to fold back over to clasp with the velcro.

The overall length of the rubber wristband that comes installed on the 310xt, is about 9.5 inches.

However on the rack at Walmart next to the wristband I bought, was a longer version of similar shape and design, labeled "extra long". Depends on your wrist size?

I have narrow wrists, circimference is about 7.5 inches. With my wristband, I have to cinch it up all the way or it's too loose, so plenty of room for me. I frequently strap it over my long sleeve running shirts, and no problem with room to spare.

I just put on one of my sweatbands, and it fits around that as well with a little extra velcro left over too.

RVDOWNING
10-19-2009, 01:55 PM
Thanks for all the info. I got one yesterday and used it for the first time today. Works fine and fits around my wrist sweatband with no problems. :)

CSCHOTT
02-21-2010, 08:08 PM
Thanks Leo for the strap info - are you confident using the new velcro strap and pins with your 310XT? Those photos you posted were great. Having a 310XT with a velcro strap for T1 would be the cat's meow!

GEDIAM
03-19-2010, 06:16 PM

I was unable to find this wristband at Walmart, nor could I find it at Walmart's web store. After doing some research, this wristband is actually for the Timex Ironman watch series; I was able to find one at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00024WL7E/ref=oss_product

The part number (TX862962) differs slightly from Leo's. It's water-resistant, and given its intended purpose, one could probably safely assume that its suitable for swimming. It's also worth noting that the description says blue, but in fact, the band is black. The strap that fits between the "watch" and the strap is a very dark blue, but since it's under the watch, you never see it anyway; its color is arguably unimportant.

A quick word about that particular vendor: they apparently had stock problems; I had to wait an extra week and a half for delivery, and they weren't very responsive by way of e-mail. However, their phone number is posted a couple times in the product reviews, and they were quick to answer the phone and provide reasonable responses to my questions.

If I understand Leo correctly, he has his band attached directly to his 310XT; I'm pleased to report that it also works very well with the bike quick release kit, as well. It's also very comfortable.

You can view my pics at Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2035441&id=1281902708&l=42445f6cd1

CREATOR1001
03-19-2010, 08:30 PM
Does anyone have picturehttp://music-desktop.com/content/39/usesmiley.png?

GEDIAM
03-20-2010, 10:34 AM
Does anyone have picturehttp://music-desktop.com/content/39/usesmiley.png?

Like the ones that Leo attached to his post at the bottom of the first page of this thread, and the ones I linked in my post directly above yours?

MADEUPNAME
03-20-2010, 11:58 AM
LMAO - yes, just like those I think he wanted to see ;)

JIRNSUM
12-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the discussion on this issue people. Very helpful :) Just did some handywork:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5010/5244156571_439769d4f7.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jirnsum/5244156571/)
SNC00227 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jirnsum/5244156571/) by jirnsum (http://www.flickr.com/people/jirnsum/), on Flickr

LEOTHEFIRST
12-08-2010, 06:21 PM
Some worthwhile info to pass on:

Recently I paid a visit to my local Walmart to buy a new velcro wristband for my 310XT.

It's been a little over a year since I first purchased the wristband at Walmart that I originally posted about in (post # 10 of this thread topic, dated 10/11/09). (see four pictures included in that post for some details of sizing and shape)

The wristband has held up very good, in water, on my wrist, and on my bicycle handlebars with the rubber handlebar mount purchased at REI.:D

The wristband is very comfortable and the "wider section" of the wristband material between the 310 and your wrist helps prevent moisture from perspiration coming in contact with the brass recharging contacts on the backside of the 310. (see pics at post # 10)

However overtime, as to be expected with the average wear and tear for a product of this type with a high usage rate, the velcro has become weakend, and prudence suggests replacement.

So, upon visiting my local Walmart, I just purchased two more of the same wristbands.

Same brand, model, & sizing options were available on the display rack in Walmart. Several new colors available also. Price increased a few cents more.

See my original and subsequent posts in this thread for details.

I very much prefer this velcro wristband over the rubber wristband that came with my F310XT.

best regards to all,

Leo

THECRUSHERXX
12-06-2011, 11:44 AM

Fits and feels better than the rubber wristband that comes with the 310XT. This wristband has a widened padded section that separates the 310 from your wrist. Only $8.87. No trimming needed, the width and length where it attaches to the back of the 310 is perfect.

I used the pins that came with the wristband, they appear to be the same size and just as strong. I left the old pins in the rubber band that came with the 310XT. However now that I think about it, possibly the pins that came with the 310XT are "stainless steel" due to the fact that the 310 was made to be used in the water?

Took it for spin today on a coastal ride, and it fits just fine on the garmin handlebar mount bracket I bought at REI, and it attaches much quicker than trying to unhook the rubber wristband and metal latch. Took if for a run last night, and again, much quicker to put on and take off my wrist. Next I'll take it for a swim and suspect all will be well in the water also.

See the four pictures included.

I bought a 310xt on Cyber Monday and recieved my shipment on Wednesday afternoon. I took it for its inagural run, then set it on the coffee table in the living room. Over night, our one year old min-pin decided that the strap was a nice chew toy and ate one of the straps. I did some quick searching for a replacement and came across this thread.

I went to the local Wal-Mart, found and purchased the All-Sport band that is referenced for 10.00 dollars plus tax. I used the original 310 pins and replaced the strap. Garmin should sell something like this strap for the 310xt as it is much better then the stock strap. I can't let my wife know that I am actually happy her dog ate my watch band, but I am.