PDA

View Full Version : How do I edit locations/waypoints

MAULWURF1399
09-03-2009, 07:25 PM
I navigate, change all the data I want, but it never saves and always reverts to it's original name, coordinates, etc.....

Please help

P.S. I have downloaded all the newest firmware, etc. which got rid of the crashing problem, but it still won't save changes. I need to set a location to go to by boat before I head out on Saturday so any replies are GREATLY appreciated.

MAULWURF1399
09-03-2009, 07:29 PM
p.s. the way I've been trying to do this is to save a location, then access that location using 'go to location' and editing the fields. Is there another way?

MAULWURF1399
09-03-2009, 07:33 PM
p.p.s. on the system info screen it says
Software Version 2.60
GPS: 2.10

I think those are the latest updates, no?

KANSAIBEN
09-03-2009, 07:46 PM
Couple things. 1, what are you trying to name this waypoint. and 2, do you have a satellite lock when you are attempting this change? There was an early bug where one couldn't edit waypoints without a sat lock, but this was supposed to have been fixed.

Also, if you know your coordinates you can make those adjustments at the time you are saving a waypoint too.

MAULWURF1399
09-04-2009, 09:55 AM
I'm trying to name it "WBuoy" for weather buoy a location in Lake Ontario. I don't have a satellite lock because I'm trying to do it indoors at my computer.

This is the only major annoyance I have with the unit. It seems that almost all users of GPS at some point will need to program waypoints, and I don't know why they don't make it easier to just create them from scratch.

Thanks for your replies,
Paul

SEILOGRAMP
09-05-2009, 08:21 AM
I have been able to do this. Granted, it is not a simple process. Used to be much easier maintaining a collection of waypoints in MapSource and managing the watch's waypoints by sending to the watch from MapSource. I've submitted a request to Garmin support.

It looked like in your original post that you were doing it correctly, but here's what I'm doing:

Select "Go to Location"
Select the location you want to change
Arrow up or down until the location name is highlighted, then select it
Arrow up until "delete" is highlighted, then select it until you've backspaced over the current location name
Arrow up/down until the first letter of the new name is highlighted, then select it
Repeat until you've spelled out the location name you desire
Press the mode button. You should see the name now saved.
Press mode button again and you will see the new name in the list of locations

KANSAIBEN
09-07-2009, 09:55 PM
I have been able to do this. Phil, have you been able to do this with GPS off/no signal?

As far as mapsource support goes, been asking for that myself since the 405 was introduced. Shame doesn't work yet with the wireless units.

NAVYASW02
09-07-2009, 10:02 PM
I'm trying to edit the lat/long coordinates to put in feed stations on an upcoming century. For some reason, I cant input a number higher than 5 on the first decimal point. Anybody else have this problem? I'm trying to input N 36.89269 for the latitude and it's not letting me change the first decimal. I think the software is thinking its inputting in degrees/minutes/seconds instead of decimal values of degrees.

KANSAIBEN
09-07-2009, 10:36 PM
I'm trying to edit the lat/long coordinates to put in feed stations on an upcoming century. For some reason, I cant input a number higher than 5 on the first decimal point. Anybody else have this problem? I'm trying to input N 36.89269 for the latitude and it's not letting me change the first decimal. I think the software is thinking its inputting in degrees/minutes/seconds instead of decimal values of degrees.

Can confirm this. Cant do it on an edit or the initial save. Strange.

DW152
09-08-2009, 04:43 AM
Could this be because you are displaying lat long in a dd mm ss format but you are trying to enter coordinates in decimal degrees?

Buried somewhere in the 310 is the option to change lat long formats, and there were a ton of choices, including the standard dd mm ss and decimal degrees formats.

SEILOGRAMP
09-08-2009, 05:07 AM
Could this be because you are displaying lat long in a dd mm ss format but you are trying to enter coordinates in decimal degrees?

Buried somewhere in the 310 is the option to change lat long formats, and there were a ton of choices, including the standard dd mm ss and decimal degrees formats.

I made that change on the 310 to coincide with MapSource default settings.

KANSAIBEN
09-08-2009, 07:56 AM

No, this is not the case as the display in the GPS menu reflects the setting you choose in the units setup page. Either way, switching formats doesn't allow the third digit to be switched to anything beyond 5 in either of the first three unit settings available (didn't test them all). So unless there is a navigational reason that wouldn't allow this, this is a bug--at least one reproducible on my unit. Are you and Phil saying that you can change this digit on your units?

DW152
09-08-2009, 09:01 AM
Are you and Phil saying that you can change this digit on your units?

I haven't tried it, so no, I didn't mean to go quite that far (that's why I phrased mine: "could it be...?").;)

But this did come up on the MB forum, and changing the format seemed to solve the problem:

http://forums.motionbased.com/smf/index.php?topic=13074.0

If I get a chance later today I'll try to see if I can reproduce this.

NAVYASW02
09-08-2009, 05:16 PM

Tried that, doesnt work. I went back and let the garmin support folks know.