PDA

View Full Version : 310XT - Condensation!!!

CHESILBOY
09-03-2009, 05:16 PM
I've had my 310XT for 2 weeks now after the demise of my 'trusty' 305. I run most days and have used it about 10 times in dry conditions only.

I have seen a patch of condensation on the inside of the glass twice now, the first time an hour into a run on its 3rd use, a patch that grew to about 5mm and lasted a few minutes. The second time today 2 hours into a run, lasted for 3 minutes or so. :mad:

Now, could this ever be described as normal for a new device?? Should I insist on a replacement? I have a marathon in 4 weeks, my 305 is dead, and I don't want to go without a Garmin for 10 days!

FWIW the 310 is brilliant, I've done the 2.60 firmware upgrade, I'm very happy with it, but it cost me a LOT of money and I'm very on edge!!

Suggestions greatfully received!

SEILOGRAMP
09-03-2009, 05:20 PM
The condensation should not happen on a device labeled as "swim proof" and "Water resistant to 50 meters." You should call Garmin support.

philipshambrook
09-03-2009, 09:00 PM
I'd go talk directly with your retailer and ask/demand a replacement unit. Hopefully it's local. If there's condensation then there is likely to be a leak to atmosphere.

Maybe it's different in your part of the world, but for us in NZ, the first point of call for warranty issues is the retailer.

SEILOGRAMP
09-03-2009, 09:03 PM
Regardless, should call Garmin support to see what they advise.

CHESILBOY
09-04-2009, 01:50 AM
Thanks guys.

I spoke to Garmin previously who quoted me the 10 day turn around - to do this I would have to wait until after my marathon (Loch Ness, Oct 4th), as I'm using HRM on long runs etc..

I will phone the online retailer I bought it from and see if they can replace it and take the old one away.

Cheers

CHESILBOY
09-04-2009, 04:56 AM
Spoke to Garmin again, they have seen this on other 'early units' that were not sealed properly. :eek:

I've arranged an exchange for a new unit. Will have to glue my 305 back together (again) in the meantime and hope it doesn't switch off every minute!

IRONKEV
09-05-2009, 10:20 AM
as a matter of interest can you give us an idea of your serial number (not the whole number but just an indication of its age) assuming the numbers run in order

BYRONA22
09-05-2009, 03:23 PM
hmmm.... had mine nearly a month.

Used it while rowing yesterday and noticed 20% of the screen wasn't visible due to condensation... :-(

I have not knocked it or done any damage in any way. I'm hoping it was a one off.... Will test it again in similar conditions in a few days.

"1GM013378"

NAVYASW02
09-05-2009, 07:45 PM
I just got mine Thursday and I got condensation yesterday while biking. It went away after a few minutes though. I'll keep an eye on mine and see if it does it again.

CHESILBOY
09-06-2009, 01:53 AM
Looks like it is not just me then! :(

Garmin has told me that condensation should never occur and my unit must be faulty. (I think we all know that but are hoping the problem will go away.) Mine is going back tomorrow, an exchange has already been agreed. I hope it not a design flaw rather than producton error! :eek:

My serial number is 1GM016680

SEILOGRAMP
09-06-2009, 08:34 AM
I think we all know that but are hoping the problem will go away.

I don't see how it could permanently go away. Sure, eventually it would dry up, but when the conditions are right (wrong?), then the condensation is likely to reappear. It's a good idea to take Garmin up on their offer before your warranty is up.

CHESILBOY
09-09-2009, 09:16 AM
Update - I returned my 310XT on Monday, hand delivered to the UK factory. I have just recieved a brand new boxed unit this Wednesday afternoon. Excellent service.

The best bit - I was only asked to return the watch. I now have a spare USB dongle, charging clip, mains plus etc.. Shame they didn't send me another HRM :rolleyes:

Thank you Mr Garmin. :D

SEILOGRAMP
09-09-2009, 09:18 AM
The best bit - I was only asked to return the watch. I now have a spare USB dongle, charging clip, mains plus etc..

Yes, that is typical.