PDA

View Full Version : New or old HR strap for 310 XT

RALPHDEKREIJ
09-03-2009, 02:55 PM
Hi,

I used to take along my Edge 305 for skeeler tours and had the unit in my back pocket with great HR reception. Now I bought the 310 XT and I am using the HR strap of the Edge 305. I get the HR data when I hold the unit in front of me. Immediately after placing my hand on my back the reception is lost. I tried to carry the strap the other way around but that doesn't work either. Now I consider buying the Premium Soft HR belt (I bought the watch without it). Is this Premium belt giving better performance? Anyone experience or comparison? Or will it have the same problem?

I have also seen there are ANT+ HR straps on the market, would this connect to the 310XT? And if so, will the reception be better?

Thanks for any advice,

Ralph
The Netherlands

KAFOLSKE
09-03-2009, 03:04 PM
Have you tried replacing the battery in the HR strap? Maybe it is too low to be seen behind your back.

I can hold my 405 behind my back and still see the heart rate.

RALPHDEKREIJ
09-04-2009, 07:48 AM
Have you tried replacing the battery in the HR strap?

Thanks your input. Yes I have replaced the battery with new one, but same result :-(

SEILOGRAMP
09-05-2009, 08:38 AM
Make sure the O-ring in the battery compartment is in place properly. Some units have even been reported as having a missing O-ring. The O-ring is essential to keep moisture out of the device. If it is missing or damaged, that could cause permanent damage to the HRM. At that point the only solution is to either go without an HRM or buy an new one.

T_SMIT
09-07-2009, 07:13 PM
Have you tried replacing the battery in the HR strap? Maybe it is too low to be seen behind your back.

I can hold my 405 behind my back and still see the heart rate.
The radio in the HRM will work even when the battery voltage is too low for the ECG amplifier in the strap to work... the battery is not the problem. The human body is a very effective shield for the 2.4GHz radio communication and placing the HRM and watch on opposite sides of the body (especially the torso) makes it pretty difficult to get good data from the HRM especially when there is nothing around for the signal to reflect off of. You might find that the on-the-back location for the 310XT works indoors but not outside.

The difference between the 305 and the 310XT is probably just that the ANT antennas of the two watches are not designed the same way, and the 310XT can't quite get the HRM signal when the watch is in your back pocket.

As far as HRM compatibility goes, any HRM that is labeled with the 'ANT+Sport' or 'ANT+' logo, is compatible with the Garmin watches and Edge bike computers. The Suunto straps are not in this group... they use a different configuration of the ANT wireless technology.