PDA

View Full Version : Do you like your 310XT better than your 405?

KAFOLSKE
09-03-2009, 01:28 PM
I was wondering if the problems/shortcomings of the 310XT make you wish you still have your 405?

NDURANCERIDER
09-03-2009, 01:48 PM
Nope. I love my 310.

Although, honestly, I used the 405 more for indoor workouts and the 305 for outdoor.

I'm changing to using the 60 for my indoor workouts, but I use both the 305 and the 310 for outside workouts. I'm a geek. :p

The 405 is gathering dust. :o I never was fond of the bezel, although I learned to use it just fine.

It really depends on what your priorities are which unit is better.

April

ALAALA
09-03-2009, 02:12 PM
There is no comparison.
I don't even rate the 405.

However, I at least learned to stay very far away from bezels...

KANSAIBEN
09-03-2009, 02:22 PM
+1 everything April said. Feel the 310 for me is superior in every way to the 405 except as a wristwatch/lightweight unit, and like April the fr60 has actually become my favorite supplement to the 310 in cases where I want something a little more scaled down (and it's also my daily wrist watch).

KAFOLSKE
09-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the insight.

I see reports that the 310XT does not keep time when turned off and Garmin support suggests acquiring satellites before starting an activity in order to get the correct activity time.

When doing indoor activities, do you go outside to acquire satellites before you turn off the GPS and start your indoor workouts?

Thanks,
Keith

NDURANCERIDER
09-03-2009, 02:45 PM
I'm not sure what issue the others are having, but my 310 keeps time perfectly, even without satellite acquisition before I start an indoor activity.

(Of course, my unit has to get an initial satellite lock to set the time after any hard resets or updates that clear all memory, but that's normal operating behavior.)

April

KAFOLSKE
09-03-2009, 02:48 PM
I saw the posts on this thread.

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=716

Maybe it is just when the watch is turned off.

Do you keep your watch on all the time?

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
09-03-2009, 02:52 PM
Interesting. I've not seen anything about having to acquire satellites in order to get correct activity time. As a matter of course when outdoors I'll make sure the satellites are acquired for obvious reasons. Why would you do anything else anyway?
But indoors? What's the point of acquiring satellites outdoors to lose them when you go indoors? We turn off GPS from the get go when training indoors. We do only use wind trainers with bikes with the GSC-10 cadence/speed sensor not foot pods so cannot speak for any discrepancy/differences that might exist there.

Answering you original question. We've had 305s for a number of years and were interested in the 405 when it came out. The only thing we thought might be useful would be the ability to use it as a watch. Overall, the functionality offered did not fit what we wanted, espcially with the battery life when used for activity tracking.
The 310 though, despite the bugs, is almost everything we wanted in an improved device over the 305. The form factor is smaller than the 305 and does not feel heavy on the wrist. My wife has small wrists and has never complained about the size of the 305 never mind the 310.

NDURANCERIDER
09-03-2009, 02:54 PM
I saw the posts on this thread.

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=716

Maybe it is just when the watch is turned off.

Do you keep your watch on all the time?

Yes, I've been reading that thread.

No, I do not keep my 310 on all the time. It is off unless I am using it. I turn it on frequently inside and do use it for indoor workouts.

April

KANSAIBEN
09-03-2009, 02:54 PM
There's a limit to how long you can keep the fr310 on without recharging, so no, I don't keep mine turned on. I am also not seeing the time issue on my unit. Tough to say why some see this and others don't in that thread.

LISAFOX16
09-03-2009, 02:55 PM
Again another plus from me for the 310. I use it for every workout I do, running, biking, indoor workouts etc.

I also highly rate the FR60 and use it for non GPS workouts and like Anthony wear it as my every day watch.

I did go on a hiking holiday to Swtizerland this year and wore my 405 to record my walks where it performed perfectly. I chose to wear the 405 rather than the 310 for appearance reasons as it looks more like a "normal" sports watch for just hiking with my family.

DW152
09-03-2009, 03:25 PM
I see reports that the 310XT does not keep time when turned off and Garmin support suggests acquiring satellites before starting an activity in order to get the correct activity time.

My 310 does NOT keep time between workouts.

I contacted Garmin support via email. They gave me the standard recommendation (do a full reset), which I did, but the problem still persists.

I tried following up with Garmin support, but they haven't answered my (polite) emails in last two or three weeks.