PDA

View Full Version : Need Garmin Recommendations for combined Gym/Hiking Use

WHIXSON
01-06-2011, 10:01 AM
My fitness activities are generally confined to the gym (aerobics and weights) and hiking outside. Looking for a fitness watch that will support both. Want to be able to plan training and track heart rate/pace over time as well as over distance (i.e., GPS). Thanks!

Wayne

DW152
01-06-2011, 11:01 AM
Do you need maps when you hike? If so, then you will probably want separate devices. Otherwise one of the Forerunners might be best for you.

Note that none of the devices will give you much in the way of meaningful data when you lift weights. As far as your indoor aerobic activities go, the Forerunners (with a footpod) work well on treadmills, and work well on regular bikes (with the speed and cadence sensor) on trainers or rollers, but will only give you HR on other gym equipment, such as elliptical machines and stationary bikes.

WHIXSON
01-06-2011, 11:12 AM
Thanks! I do have a Garmin 62s for maps, but being able to download waypoints or a route to a Forerunner would probably be sufficient in most cases. I was also looking at a Polar product, the FT80, as it has a weight training function that graphs heart rate and is supposed to optimize your time between exercises/sets, but it is not so good for outside, where the ability of the Forerunners to track location and plot heart rate against time and location would be super. Nothing all in one though!

Do you need maps when you hike? If so, then you will probably want separate devices. Otherwise one of the Forerunners might be best for you.

Note that none of the devices will give you much in the way of meaningful data when you lift weights. As far as your indoor aerobic activities go, the Forerunners (with a footpod) work well on treadmills, and work well on regular bikes (with the speed and cadence sensor) on trainers or rollers, but will only give you HR on other gym equipment, such as elliptical machines and stationary bikes.

WHIXSON
01-10-2011, 02:59 PM
Ended up getting a Forerunner 410 and love it so far! Use the heart rate graph in the gym and guesstimating based on HR zone how long to rest between exercise sets. Then using the GPS capability on fitness walks to capture the route and elevation and plot against heart rate in Garmin Connect. Also to watch my pace on hills to stay in HR Zones 2 and 3.