PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 310XT Wish List

OTTOOOME
09-02-2009, 07:35 AM
Hello,

I am new with Garmin and with this forum

my question

Is there a wish list for the Garmin 310XT?

So the programmers can see what users really want

grtz
Otto

NDURANCERIDER
09-02-2009, 07:39 AM
You can post here your suggestions and ideas. Also be sure to send a note to Garmin Support (http://www.garmin.com/support)with those.

April

IRONKEV
09-02-2009, 08:52 AM
i would like for it to remember my light preferences, i always have to tell it how bright to be

NDURANCERIDER
09-02-2009, 09:07 AM
i would like for it to remember my light preferences, i always have to tell it how bright to be

To set the brightness, I press the power button briefly to get the light to come on. There are 3 presets. Full on, full off and somewhere in the middle. The middle defaults to the exact middle.

Press the power/light again to cycle through the choices. If I don't like the middle preset, I can press the up/down button to fine tune it. Then I press the Enter button. After that the unit remembers the brightness.

April

RODNSHAN2
09-03-2009, 05:41 PM
Since the 310XT does not pick up satellites when worn on the wrist while swimming, and many triathletes are reporting that they wear it under their swim cap, it would be nice if Garmin just added a feature to their quick release kit for swimmers to wear it under their swim cap. Maybe a little foam (that floats) that the QR would connect to so it doesn't sink in the event it escapes the cap, and that is comfortable on your head... :rolleyes:

KAFOLSKE
09-03-2009, 05:54 PM
Barometric Altimeter.

Before you say "it can't be done on a water proof unit", my Polar s710i had one. I think I bought that in 2002.

SEILOGRAMP
09-03-2009, 08:38 PM
Barometric Altimeter.

Before you say "it can't be done on a water proof unit", my Polar s710i had one. I think I bought that in 2002.

You are essentially talking about a new device, not a 310xt wish list. I've been asking for this for at least 3 years, when I was using the 305.

MUSILJAN
09-03-2009, 09:03 PM
Barometric Altimeter.

Yeah. +1

All top of the line Polar and Suunto units have one. This would save me about 5 minutes every time I need to run WKO+ correction of the altitude data.

SEILOGRAMP
09-03-2009, 09:39 PM
Do the Polar watches have GPS? ;)

MRZUES
09-03-2009, 10:42 PM
bring back sunrise / sunset!
loved it in 305, miss it in 310!!

PUFFOLINO
09-04-2009, 12:51 AM
Just some few simple things...;)
• bring back ALL data fields of the 305 (time last lap!!!) and what about new ones (temperature)...
• edit fields with upper/lower case chars (already partially possible)
• complete memory statistics (waypoints, tracks, courses etc.)
• km (miles) values on the vertical lines of the virtual partner (haven't something like that been on the 301 already)
• zoom in/out on the altitude graph
• different alarm settings for GPS/watch messages (no GPS signal, battery low etc.) and training messages (Lap etc.)
• configurable position (upper/middle/lower screen area) of the messages
• a new (modern and more readable) character set for the ciphers (selectable if some people like this old fashioned 7 segment style)
Michael

KIERENB
09-04-2009, 02:32 AM
A big request from me - that the course map (route) screen becomes part of the scrolling screen selection, so you can see it along with all the other screens you defined whilst out following a course...

NDURANCERIDER
09-04-2009, 04:57 AM
• complete memory statistics (waypoints, tracks, courses etc.)

Track and course memory info was added in 2.6.

Changes made from version 2.40 to 2.60:

Added a Memory Details feature to the History menu.

You can find it under Menu > History > Memory Details.

Shows percentage of memory used for History as well as number of laps and percentage of laps used. Shows the same info for courses.

April

MAULWURF1399
09-04-2009, 10:07 AM
I would like to be able to select the sampling rate for speed. It seems to me speed is calculated on a trailing 10s average, and I would love to be able to set it it 2s or 5s in order to get a more accurate reading of my peak speed during a session.

Is this currently possible? If not, add it to the wish list!

WILLIAMSAK
09-04-2009, 11:31 AM
I think as it is billed as suitable for waterports Garmin have missed a trick for sail boat racing in the countdown function.
I would like to see a countdown in the International start sequence for sail boats starting at 5 mins when you get the warning flag and signal. Another warning at 4 mins and then another at 1 minute and then zero. A vibrate alert would be useful.Then when it reaches zero to start counting up again. Also, a function to enable you to reset should you miss a gun i.e. miss the 5 min warning signal you could press a button and it would go straight to the 4 minute which you could then press when the 4 min gun goes.
Many 'Sailboat' watches do this and I am sure it would be relatively simple for Garmin to add ?

DCRAINMAKER
09-04-2009, 12:42 PM
I think as it is billed as suitable for waterports Garmin have missed a trick for sail boat racing in the countdown function.
I would like to see a countdown in the International start sequence for sail boats starting at 5 mins when you get the warning flag and signal. Another warning at 4 mins and then another at 1 minute and then zero. A vibrate alert would be useful.Then when it reaches zero to start counting up again. Also, a function to enable you to reset should you miss a gun i.e. miss the 5 min warning signal you could press a button and it would go straight to the 4 minute which you could then press when the 4 min gun goes.
Many 'Sailboat' watches do this and I am sure it would be relatively simple for Garmin to add ?

You could do this by setting up a workout to alarm at various times. I do pretty much exactly this for triathlon races, with a bunch of specific interval times (based on either time or distance). Garmin Training Center will set it up.

Check out this post I did a while back:

http://dcrainmaker.blogspot.com/2008/09/how-to-download-workoutsrace-plans-into.html

IRONKEV
09-04-2009, 02:15 PM
The ability to compare workouts, ie lay 1 graph over another for exactly the same route

or is that a GC wishlist

WILLIAMSAK
09-06-2009, 11:54 AM
You could do this by setting up a workout to alarm at various times. I do pretty much exactly this for triathlon races, with a bunch of specific interval times (based on either time or distance). Garmin Training Center will set it up.

Check out this post I did a while back:

http://dcrainmaker.blogspot.com/2008/09/how-to-download-workoutsrace-plans-into.html

Interesting. I will give it a go WHEN i buy one !
currently on a 305 but very tempted...

IRONKEV
09-06-2009, 12:32 PM
Just done my first Triathlon with this watch, used the multisport mode, in my haste i pushed start instead of lap when i was coming out of T2:mad: ruined my timings -

So my wish list suggestion is to have the start button locked or inactive in multisport mode, and in order to reactivate it you need to press another button, or maybe hold it down:)

JUST-TRI
09-06-2009, 03:13 PM
I'd like to see the Quick Release kit have the same strap as the original 310xt. The cheap black plastic strap is an eyesore and a joke. Such a pity to have to make a choice between style and function, when they could have been combined so easily.

I'd like to see temperature added to the display as well as the data recording and upload to GTC/Garmin Connect.

I'd like to see the glass face recessed a bit like the 305 was; it's much too fragile as is right now and is too easily scratched and chipped (speaking from experience, as my 2 day old Garmin looks worse after one drop from three feet than my almost 4 year old 305 does after dozens of similar drops). If not recessed, how about an accessory we can purchase to buffer the area?

I want more accurate altitude readings!

I'd like a category called "swimming", not just "other".

I'd like a data field for battery life.

PALPIONG
09-08-2009, 09:09 AM
Ironkev, you can lock the keys on the 310XT by pressing and holding the UP key and Mode key. Pressing the same key combination again unlocks the keys. You'll be able to lock and hit the start key to start the timer, but otherwise subsequent key presses will be locked out.

DW152
09-08-2009, 09:11 AM
Ironkev, you can lock the keys on the 310XT by pressing and holding the UP key and Mode key. Pressing the same key combination again unlocks the keys. You'll be able to lock and hit the start key to start the timer, but otherwise subsequent key presses will be locked out.

I don't think this would work because he wouldn't be able to press the lap/reset key to record his transitions from event to event.

DCRAINMAKER
09-08-2009, 07:39 PM
I think I mentioned it in a different thread - but I would love to see the 3s and 30s power averages carried over to the 310XT (they are currently on the 705 in the latest firmware). From a cycling with power standpoint, having a semi-averaged number like this (not in the datastream, only on the unit screen) makes it much easier to actually bike based on power. All of the other head units on the market today (competitors) have this capability (1s, 3s, 5s, etc...).

NAVYASW02
09-08-2009, 10:07 PM
I'd like to see:
1. An easy way to instantly mark a waypoint by pressing some combination of buttons. Otherwise, I have to stop and mark it and then go again.
2. Able to download waypoints off of downloaded course maps.
3. A way to change alert tones for different alerts.
4. Volume adjust - sometimes when riding with heavy wind I cant hear it or feel it vibrating if my hands are in a certain position.

RODNSHAN2
09-09-2009, 12:58 PM
--I keep taking off on my workouts and forgetting to start the timer, especially with bricks. Maybe not awake yet...:o It would be nice if there was an alarm and some sort of notice on the screen indicating you have gone 100 ft but have not started the timer.

--Ability to customize data fields for each separate bike. Currently a change to one bike seems to effect all bikes.

--Also, I think all the other suggestions in this thread are spot on.

MUSILJAN
09-09-2009, 01:25 PM
I would like to see slight change in the auto multisport mode - I'd like to change the sports with long press of the lap button so I can still take laps during the individual disciplines and not only rely on auto lap.

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
09-09-2009, 02:21 PM
The ability to export device settings so that after a hard reset they can be reloaded.

MUSILJAN
09-09-2009, 03:11 PM
The ability to export device settings so that after a hard reset they can be reloaded.

Good one I want that as well.

PALPIONG
09-09-2009, 04:10 PM
Good one I want that as well.

If you connected your watch to the PC via ANT Agent, the user settings and sport settings are saved there, and should be restored to your watch the next time you connect to the PC after doing a memory clear

KAFOLSKE
09-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Each bike setting should have it's own set of data pages. Right now the same data page settings are shared among all bikes.

For instance, I don't have a cadence/speed sensor on my mountain bike, so I don't really care to see cadence on the data page. But my road bike I do.

KAFOLSKE
09-09-2009, 04:16 PM
If you connected your watch to the PC via ANT Agent, the user settings and sport settings are saved there, and should be restored to your watch the next time you connect to the PC after doing a memory clear

But the device settings are not. I just lost all of my data page settings, auto lap settings, sport settings, etcs when I upgraded to the latest firmware.

I am pretty good at setting up the 310XT now, however.

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
09-09-2009, 08:33 PM

A Hard Reset clears everything including specific bike information, data field settings, alerts etc, etc. Those are the settings that take time to reprogram, although as noted by KAFOLSKE I am getting quite proficient.

MUSILJAN
09-09-2009, 09:38 PM
A Hard Reset clears everything including specific bike information, data field settings, alerts etc, etc. Those are the settings that take time to reprogram, although as noted by KAFOLSKE I am getting quite proficient.

Still it is unnecessary step and quite annoying after you have done few firmware updates or are having issues with the unit that require hard reset.

LUKENRG
09-10-2009, 06:41 AM
I would like to see slight change in the auto multisport mode - I'd like to change the sports with long press of the lap button so I can still take laps during the individual disciplines and not only rely on auto lap.

Hi Jan,
that's good one! I like to see that too.

It's funny to see you here, after talking sometimes in the Polar forum...

Kind regards
Luke

JAKAMA
09-10-2009, 01:15 PM
I think it would be a nice and useful feature for runners/cyclists if you could have your pace/speed displayed in graphics the same way as with your pulse.

Kind regards
jakama

JOHNMICK
09-10-2009, 03:49 PM
I would really love to be able to delete specific laps directly on the watch the way I used to be able to on my FR301. In the history looking at a specific lap I could choose to delete that lap. This was very handy if I accidentally hit the lap button twice or in particular at the end of a run where the last lap was usually around 50ft. long because I hit stop after the lap beep sounded. Thanks!

MUSILJAN
09-10-2009, 05:56 PM
Hi Jan,
that's good one! I like to see that too.

It's funny to see you here, after talking sometimes in the Polar forum...

Kind regards
Luke

Yeah. I'm one of those types that needs to try everything ;-). Good to see you here too.

BIGSI999
09-11-2009, 05:47 AM
What about a gps receiver that you could clip to goggles band to give accurate tracking while swimming.

DCRAINMAKER
09-11-2009, 10:48 AM
What about a gps receiver that you could clip to goggles band to give accurate tracking while swimming.

Why not just toss it in your swim cap?

Not that I disagree with you at all - that'd be interesting.

NWORBAL
09-12-2009, 05:46 AM
You can find it under Menu > History > Memory Details.

Shows percentage of memory used for History as well as number of laps and percentage of laps used. Shows the same info for courses.

The problem with this method is the number of button presses... What I would like is to have the last lap/next lap as a data field option (like it was in the 205)

NWORBAL
09-12-2009, 05:49 AM
Something else I would like to have back from the 305, is the ability to use the foot pod ONLY for cadence, and not have the 310xt fall back on it as a distance tool if the GPS gets a little shaky (under trees etc).

ALAALA
09-15-2009, 08:04 AM
I realized today that I would like to see the accumulated distance and time,
too, in the lap history screen. There is certainly space there to do it.

Laps' distances (especially) and times get rounded, but the two fields
I'm suggesting would of course fetch un-rounded data and just round once.

ALAALA
09-15-2009, 08:07 AM
Something else I would like to have back from the 305, is the ability to use the foot pod ONLY for cadence, and not have the 310xt fall back on it as a distance tool if the GPS gets a little shaky (under trees etc).

But what is the problem with that, you think?

KAFOLSKE
09-15-2009, 10:29 AM
I would like to see support for Garmin Connect Goals like the 405 had.

I would also like to see battery percentage in a data field or on a page like the 405.

SKATEFAST
09-15-2009, 10:58 AM
I wish I could turn off the vibrate alert for lost course/found course only, leaving it on for all others.

KELMENSON
09-15-2009, 09:27 PM
I'd like to have the time (or distance) remaining in the current interval available on the custom data screens. The main, non-custom, screen displays the time remaining under the label "Run for 05:00", but the closest I've been able to find in the "Data Fields" section is "Current Lap", but that counts up to 5:00, rather than down to 0:00.

It would seem that a generic "Target" data field, for time or distance remaining until target achieved, would be a really helpful (and really simple and doable) addition.

RACINGSNAKE2000
09-18-2009, 12:44 AM
After recently having my screen crack on a brand new (never used) unit after the watch pin dislodged causing the watch to fall on the bitumen, I'd like to see a modification to the strap securing hardware. They could possibly also raise the screen surrounds about 1mm to protect the edge of the glass lense from chips etc which would lead to cracks.

KAFOLSKE
09-18-2009, 09:05 AM
They could possibly also raise the screen surrounds about 1mm to protect the edge of the glass lense from chips etc which would lead to cracks.

I second this idea. The screen looks too exposed. I fear that the first time I drop my watch, it will crack.

I did cut a piece of protective tape to fit the screen. This should eliminate scratches.

ACTION156
09-28-2009, 08:01 PM
Alert screen size & fields
As the alert for lap info is already in the middle of the screen and it obscures everything behind it, why not make it full screen so it is easier to ready with blurry eyes in the predawn light? Perhaps some custom fields on the alert screen?
Bypass ANT connection
And why not 4 contacts so you can bypass the extra ANT step for downloads? I recharge via the USB, so if the cable that is already plugged in had 4 contacts rather than the 2 is now has then it could do the download at the same time.

MAXPROFWELL
09-29-2009, 12:07 PM
I second bringing this back!

MIMISCHRISTOP
10-01-2009, 01:30 AM
After recently having my screen crack on a brand new (never used) unit after the watch pin dislodged causing the watch to fall on the bitumen, I'd like to see a modification to the strap securing hardware. They could possibly also raise the screen surrounds about 1mm to protect the edge of the glass lense from chips etc which would lead to cracks.

i got a generic safety watch strap 20mm and i have peace of mind. Should one pin fail the unit keeps hanging from the opposite. Don't expect Garmin to change their design line..

http://www.extremeoutfitters.us/browseproducts/Waterborne-Watch-Strap.html

better color match:http://westcoastime.stores.yahoo.net/zulbanincoas.html

HBRAUCH
10-08-2009, 09:19 AM
I second bringing this back!

X3!!!

I'd also like to have the the ability to create a custom workout in GTC using zones from the user profile and have that all transfered to the 310XT the way the 305 used to. Not having this feature is a major step backwards imho.

LESFAUFAU
10-09-2009, 11:11 AM
average speed of last lap was really good as well

very convenient during a race ...you set up the lap distance at 400 or 500 m
and you can adjust your speed knowing exactly waht your average of the last lap was versus you current speed average

MAL_LYNCH
10-30-2009, 07:12 AM
I'd like to be able to have multiple profiles as my missus also uses my 310xt and needs different HR zones etc.
Also, a lap counter for the pool would be excellent....probably feasible for an outdoor pool using the GPS to detect alternating headings...but indoor??

MADEUPNAME
10-30-2009, 08:41 AM
during a custom workout, I would like to be able to press the lap button and get a split recorded.

I'd also like autosplit data still recorded during a custom workout

MUSIELAK1
10-30-2009, 07:20 PM
I too would like the last lap screen back. I miss it, I used it all the time on my 305.

ANDRE77AB
10-31-2009, 02:42 AM
Looking forward to set in the device custom PACE ZONE with CG or GTC ;) and max speed in bike mode

MTERRIER
11-01-2009, 04:25 PM
I too would like the last lap screen back. I miss it, I used it all the time on my 305.

+1 : last lap distance and last lap time

RVDOWNING
11-02-2009, 07:22 AM
Another vote here for a key combination to turn gps on and off.

LEOTHEFIRST
11-05-2009, 02:46 PM
"Wish List", how about good customer support from Garmin?

I have recently purchased a Tanita BC1000 to be used with my 310XT and Garmin Connect. Garmin advertises that the BC1000 will correctly interact with these products.

To date, it does not! :mad:

I simply "Wish" Garmin would deliver on what they advertise on their websites.

JROSEDALES
11-05-2009, 03:21 PM
To pair the Tanita Platform with your 310XT, first activate the platform.
Then on your 310XT tap the Power button a few times for it to detect the platform.

LEOTHEFIRST
11-05-2009, 03:34 PM
It is a Wish List page, right?

My Wish is that Garmin will deliver good customer support.

JROSEDALES, with all due respect to your previous post, please read the issues Garmin has not addressed to date with this topic, and you'll see why myself and others are "Wishing" for good support. :cool:

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=1896
https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=2992

And so, my "Wish" is for good support from Garmin.

THE-MICKSTAR
11-05-2009, 08:43 PM
...I would love to see the 3s and 30s power averages carried over to the 310XT (they are currently on the 705 in the latest firmware). From a cycling with power standpoint, having a semi-averaged number like this...makes it much easier to actually bike based on power. All of the other head units on the market today (competitors) have this capability (1s, 3s, 5s, etc...).

Exactly. The 310XT needs adjustable (for time) "rolling averages" for power.

My other wish would be for adjustable volume on the message alerts. My 310XT is much quieter than my 305.

Steve

CBJESSEENH
11-06-2009, 12:22 PM
I'd like to see the Quick Release kit have the same strap as the original 310xt.

I'd like a category called "swimming", not just "other".

I'd like a data field for battery life.

Second on these suggestions.

WALTERBUERKI
11-15-2009, 08:19 AM
Exactly. The 310XT needs adjustable (for time) "rolling averages" for power.

Yes, I love to have that aswell.:)
I am using the 310xt with my new powertap for 2 weeks now, and if I cycle constant, the power jumps around for e.g. between 220 to 260W. Without a rolling average I can not do intervals at a certain Power level. If adjustable is not possible, I would like to have at least one rolling average with about 5s as time base.
I like to ask the garmin people if there is a plan, when they release this feature?

Otherwise, from my point of view, the power display is not usable during exercise, only the tcx-file is valuable for analysis afterwards.

TRYING2GOFAST
11-16-2009, 03:40 PM
I would like to not have to select "Transfer All" every single time I upload to both GTC for Mac and Windows. Either permanently select "Transfer All," or let me select from a list of which activities to transfer (as SportTracks does).

SAEEDI
11-16-2009, 04:09 PM
There is a performance penalty when transfer-all is set and you have a lot of activities on the watch. But what you're saying about Sporttracks is not different than GTC. They grab their data from the Device directory for the 310 on the computer. It's between the watch and the ANT Agent to get the data off the watch in the first place.

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
11-16-2009, 06:10 PM
I would like to not have to select "Transfer All" every single time I upload to both GTC for Mac and Windows. Either permanently select "Transfer All," or let me select from a list of which activities to transfer (as SportTracks does).

Same here. I use the Mac as my primary computer but need Windoze for SportTracks. I upload to GTC and GC on my Mac, switch to Windoze to upload to GTC and then SportTracks. I have the switch set to delete from the device on Windoze.

While I appreciate there may be a performance penalty if 'Transfer All' is set permanantly, that penalty would only apply if data is allowed to accumulate on the device. If the switch is set to delete data after upload then there is no penalty. My FR305 and Edge 305 don't have this issue. Data is not deleted after upload, is overwritten by the device when required, and does not need anything done when switching between operating systems. This change in operation of the 310XT from it's predecessors is not beneficial.

Another request:

Provide an option to allow for uploading to multiple computers/operating systems without having to set 'Transfer All' when switching between computers/operating systems

GIACOV
11-17-2009, 07:39 AM
I wish......I wish ....that the 310 had all the features the 305 has!!!!!

Is it so difficult? When I considered to buy the 310 I was led to believe that it was an upgrading, really it is not.

No improvement since its first appearing (except to be usable with Mac computers), notwithstanding the many bugs repeatedly reported in this Forum.

SAEEDI
11-17-2009, 09:42 AM
What specific features are lacking?

DW152
11-17-2009, 11:39 AM

How about reliability? My 305 never generated a BadFit file.

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
11-17-2009, 03:03 PM

Is it so difficult? When I considered to buy the 310 I was led to believe that it was an upgrading, really it is not.

No improvement since its first appearing (except to be usable with Mac computers), notwithstanding the many bugs repeatedly reported in this Forum.

In partial defence of Garmin, one persons improvement is another person's downgrade. Usability with the Mac is not a function of the device. It's the software Garmin supplies that has improved in that area.

I believe the 310XT is overall, substantially better than the 305. However, there are some aspects that do need attention in order to at least be as good as the 305 was.

I'm thinking particularly of scheduled workouts and data transfer to multiple computers/operating systems.

GIACOV
11-18-2009, 03:59 AM

I'm surprised for you asking.
I limit the list to the "software" differences I personally miss.

1. Fields such as "time last lap" and "sunrise - sunset".
2. Create and download custom workouts in TC using zones.
3. Accurate altitude
4. Accurate calories
5. "Delete last lap" function in History
6. Quick access to GPS switch off
7. Accrued distance and time in History

In addition to that I have made some comparison and concluded that the accuracy of the 305 is better that the accuracy of the 310. In the area where I use them, I have measured an average accuracy of less than 0.5% for 305 and around 1% for the 310 under comparable conditions.

SAEEDI
11-18-2009, 10:06 AM
I wasn't asking you what features you felt were missing because I needed to challenge you. I was curious what was missing for you and you have articulated those well here. I do miss having the Sunrise and Sunset fields and d expect elevation values to be off as compared to the barometric altimeter on the 705. I don't have issues with the Calorie expenditure as it closely matches the 405CX.

Have you tried to contact Garmin Support to request these features and/or bug fixes?

I'm surprised for you asking.
I limit the list to the "software" differences I personally miss.

1. Fields such as "time last lap" and "sunrise - sunset".
2. Create and download custom workouts in TC using zones.
3. Accurate altitude
4. Accurate calories
5. "Delete last lap" function in History
6. Quick access to GPS switch off
7. Accrued distance and time in History

ARITIDHAR
11-22-2009, 08:46 AM
1) Adjustable automatic turn off, when not in use.
2) Multiple multisport workouts, for bricks and triathlon training.
3) Reliable soft strap. Just ordered the old one, as I have heart rate fluctuation problems with the new one.
4) Please fix the "BadFit" file problem ASAP!!!!

I second:
1) Quick GPS turn off/on. And I would add, saving the last GPS state, before the watch was turned off (like the 405).
2) Swimming category.
3) Last lap data.
4) and actually most of the other sugestions :D

Please don't let us down Garmin. I had very good impression of Garmin products, until I bought the 310XT.

Ari

DW152
11-22-2009, 10:27 AM
2) Multiple multisport workouts, for bricks and triathlon training.

I'm curious what you want here. I've used my 310 for triathlons and bricks, and it seems to work OK. As far as I can tell, it works like the 305 did. Maybe you mean workouts set up in GTC?

4) Please fix the "BadFit" file problem ASAP!!!!

Amen!

1) Quick GPS turn off/on. And I would add, saving the last GPS state, before the watch was turned off (like the 405).

I thought the 310 did this.

ARITIDHAR
11-22-2009, 12:53 PM
I'm curious what you want here. I've used my 310 for triathlons and bricks, and it seems to work OK. As far as I can tell, it works like the 305 did. Maybe you mean workouts set up in GTC?

I mean using it with multiple auto multisport function. Now the workout doesn't restart the automatic multisport when you get to the last sport.

I thought the 310 did this.
It Idoesn't, for me. If I disable it, I have to redo it when I turn it back on.

DW152
11-22-2009, 01:04 PM
It Idoesn't, for me. If I disable it, I have to redo it when I turn it back on.

OK, now I understand what you meant.

SIEGFRIEDP
11-24-2009, 05:25 AM
Hello,

i am missing the lap-numbers on the view of the active track. On my 205 i used the autolap-function every km - so i could see the kilometer-marks on my track. is it also possible with 310xt? the map shows only a naked track.

Siegfried

DW152
11-24-2009, 05:51 AM
i am missing the lap-numbers on the view of the active track. On my 205 i used the autolap-function every km - so i could see the kilometer-marks on my track. is it also possible with 310xt? the map shows only a naked track.

This is a problem with Garmin Connect, not the 310xt.

The 310xt does have an autolap feature, but Garmin Connect won't show the laps on the map.

SIEGFRIEDP
11-24-2009, 11:18 AM
This is a problem with Garmin Connect, not the 310xt.

The 310xt does have an autolap feature, but Garmin Connect won't show the laps on the map.

I didn t use Garmin connect - i am missing the lap-numbers on the liile map-display on the device.

Siegfried

PRISMIC
11-25-2009, 02:16 AM
I'd love to see the following fixes --

1) GPS is turned off when paired with footpod (like on the 305)
2) WEEKLY totals in history (like on the 305)
3) No distance jumps/spikes like a few of us have experienced (where it starts adding miles to your distance out of nowhere -- what's doing this??).

Can anyone in support confirm if/when these fixes will be made? When is the next firmware update?? I've been using my half-broken 305 since my spiffy new 310XT is currently useless for the most part.

Thanks --
Matt

SIEGFRIEDP
12-01-2009, 05:10 AM
I didn t use Garmin connect - i am missing the lap-numbers on the liile map-display on the device.

Siegfried

I configured a Autolap every 1000 Meters. On my 205 the Track-View shows me the Start and a number of every Lap-point at km 1 km 2 and so on. The 310 only shows only a naked Trackline.

Siegfried

EKUTTER
12-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Automatically disabling the GPS when connected to a foot pod would be a very bad idea unless it is configurable. I use my foot pod for every run to get cadence and more accurate real time speed and never run on a treadmill.

KLATEZ
12-02-2009, 05:48 AM
Where are some data fields? :eek:

From FR 305/405 I miss "last lap" data (distance, pace, speed time).
And also max speed and best pace... :(

BAMBAATA83
12-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Number 1 has to be design the basics flawlessly - A heart rate monitor strap that doesnt spike and sit at 210+ for minutes on end despite taking all "solutions" mooted to date.

MOTOCROSSMARK
12-26-2009, 02:27 PM
I'm trying to like my 310xt... I really am. But there are a few things I'm finding hard to live with. This thread is dedicated to the Goals 'feature' on the FR310xt.

When I first read about the ability to monitor my current training goal on the 310xt I thought "Cool - a way to track my current goal right on the watch!". However, after spend an hour trying to figure out how to create a goal (all the while wondering why the feature is tucked in the History menus and not Training) I realized there was no way to do it on the watch itself. Stupid design in my opinion.

So, off to the Garmin Forum I went to figure out how to do this. There I learned that I needed use Garmin Connect to set up a goal, then it could be transferred it to my 310xt. For those of you who have done this, you can join me in a hearty laugh and a loud "WTF!?!". Does Garmin seriously think all goals have a 7 day, 30 day, or an exact calendar period? Why in the world is the date not configurable to start and end when ever I want? It's really not too hard to do - I'll even send the code if they need it.

The second point of astonishment is that the GC Goal needs to be of type "Any Activity Type" to transfer to the watch. What !?! Why?

Third (and possibly the dumbest part of the Goals on Garmin Connect); users can not delete a goal.

Garmin probably wants to amaze their customers with their products... I assure you, Garmin, I'm amazed.

VANISLE
12-29-2009, 10:03 PM

The ability to determine the frequency of recorded data points. Instead of "Smart Recording" please bring back the option to choose "one point per second".

VANISLE
12-29-2009, 10:17 PM
Further and in support of what has been mentioned

* Default recording of a data point on start/lap/stop of an activity regardless of "Smart Recording" !!!!

* on my first run with it, one end of the strap popped out of the watch body and fell to the ground with the watch? wtf

* the map/course view as an option for the rotating data screens would be cool

* does the 310xt auto-lap display give me my lap HR (in addition to distance) when the lap window pops up ?

* Button combination to record waypoint

AGIOFWS
02-09-2010, 08:02 AM
1) I'd like to be disable the auto location of satellites when i turn my garmin on.

2) ANT STICK LINUX SUPPORT

3)better a strap ? is it so easy to break off ? do i need to replace the pins or something ?

thank you

RVDOWNING
02-09-2010, 09:10 AM
Definitely ANT STICK LINUX SUPPORT.

I replaced my strap with a velcro one from WalMart.

ALAALA
02-09-2010, 12:24 PM
I'd love to see the following fixes --
1) GPS is turned off when paired with footpod (like on the 305)
Matt

Only if the default behaviour is user configurable, otherwise
leave GPS on even with footpod paired (unless GPS is
actively turned off by the user).

ROC-DUDE
02-11-2010, 09:28 AM
Please make a fix to your Algorithm to calculates Average Power. The Average Power numbers do not match up with the indusrty standard used by the power meters companies and aftermarket performance software products like WKO+. Average Power is the most important Number when using power for training and if they are not consistaint with the industry standard then they are useless. To my understanding, this is not a problem with your other ant+ reading units. With Power Averages being off by more than 10% from other devices, the 310xt its not a tool for Power Training but a toy to play with.

CHAN73
02-11-2010, 11:23 AM
It'd be great if the notes I add to each activity (such as details of the swim, or threshold, conditions etc) could be viewed as part of the activity list if seelcted from the columns menu. That way, when I'm reviewing my training I can quickly see the full details of each activity. If this could be printed also alongside the other selected columns then it would make life easier ... cheers:)

GIELLEFFE
02-13-2010, 03:42 PM
Hello everyone,
I just bought the 310xt I use mainly for windsurfing because of its declared impermeability. I Have been disappointed once (and some information was available on-line manual, :() when I customized the content of views because it is missing (compared to 305) the field Speed Max. Some of you used it? There are tips on how to get it?
Thanks in advance for your attention.:)

PANAMAHEALTHSTAR
02-13-2010, 06:17 PM
maybe i've missed it somewhere but can we get some formula definitions?

JMO_1967
02-15-2010, 01:40 PM
Rolling averages for power instead of instantaneous readings. This would probably go hand in hand with the ability to set the recording rate to 1/second or something besides smart recording.

A better design for the face so it won't crack so easily. I realize this has been mentioned before. Until this is fixed, how about some sort or carrying case accessory, particularly for those who use the quick-release strap?

TREVOR.GARSON
02-15-2010, 06:28 PM
Ditto on that, why no moving averages for power like those that were added to the 605/705 several SW versions ago.

Bring 3s and 30s moving averages to the 310xt.

NEAHORA
02-16-2010, 12:31 AM
Alert screen size & fields
As the alert for lap info is already in the middle of the screen and it obscures everything behind it, why not make it full screen so it is easier to ready with blurry eyes in the predawn light? Perhaps some custom fields on the alert screen?

SCHOENGEIST
02-16-2010, 12:47 AM
MAKE IT AUCCURATE.

- Besides, the so called "manual" is a joke.
- There is no box for carrying the 310xt with strap.
- Faster Bugfix cycles.
- The possibility to change Data fields by holding the watch against the strap, Polar-like. This is very useful because you don't have to push a button to change to the next field while running.

GMSAXTON
02-17-2010, 07:50 PM
Has this been verified? I don't see where the ANT Agent alone would have anything to do with the 310XT's profile settings. I think the settings actually come from GTC which can restore the user profile as well as the activity data.

GMSAXTON
02-17-2010, 08:01 PM
The ability to determine the frequency of recorded data points. Instead of "Smart Recording" please bring back the option to choose "one point per second".
Smart recording on trails with my 310XT does not work as well as one second GPS recording did on my FR 305. Visually, the course map doesn't overlay on the satellite map backgrounds as well as those that used the FR 305 one-second recording. While there might be other things going on, it looks to me upon inspection of the GPS points that there are not enough of them to capture the twists and turns of trail running. Bring back the one-second recording option, please!

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
02-18-2010, 06:58 PM
Problem identified by Garmin as being software related as opposed to the frequency of recording:

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=4556&highlight=smart+recording&page=3

GMSAXTON
02-18-2010, 10:15 PM
Problem identified by Garmin as being software related as opposed to the frequency of recording:

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=4556&highlight=smart+recording&page=3
As others have said as well, this should be fixed immediately. I 'upgraded' from the FR305, which produced more accurate tracks using one-second recording. Buyer's remorse so far. When you consider the inherent technology limitations of GPS when calculating elevation, total ascent/descent, accuracy with clouds or trees overhead AND THEN add inconsistent data recording to this mix, it really makes me wonder if trail runners have a useful tool or an expensive toy. I hope we see a firmware update, or at least have an indication it's on the way, that fixes this problem before my return period ends.

H3HOUND
02-28-2010, 09:48 AM
really helped when going out for that late run!

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
02-28-2010, 05:25 PM
As others have said as well, this should be fixed immediately. I 'upgraded' from the FR305, which produced more accurate tracks using one-second recording. Buyer's remorse so far. When you consider the inherent technology limitations of GPS when calculating elevation, total ascent/descent, accuracy with clouds or trees overhead AND THEN add inconsistent data recording to this mix, it really makes me wonder if trail runners have a useful tool or an expensive toy. I hope we see a firmware update, or at least have an indication it's on the way, that fixes this problem before my return period ends.

Pray tell, how 3 hrs worth of recording is going to be of any use to me when I run 100kms? I did get better track following with the 305, but that was never set on 1 second recording. Garmin have intimated that the problem with the 310XT is not related to 1 second recording. I'm happy to give them the benefit of the doubt for now.
I did run 62km this weekend with my 310XT, with other folks with a 310XT and a 305. We were all within 500m of each other, but interestingly all close to 2kms longer than the course which had been wheeled. Given the dense cover in many places, I'm not sure that even 1 second recording would have made a difference as the GPS accuracy would have been well compromised

GMSAXTON
02-28-2010, 10:15 PM
Pray tell, how 3 hrs worth of recording is going to be of any use to me when I run 100kms? I did get better track following with the 305, but that was never set on 1 second recording. Garmin have intimated that the problem with the 310XT is not related to 1 second recording. I'm happy to give them the benefit of the doubt for now.
I did run 62km this weekend with my 310XT, with other folks with a 310XT and a 305. We were all within 500m of each other, but interestingly all close to 2kms longer than the course which had been wheeled. Given the dense cover in many places, I'm not sure that even 1 second recording would have made a difference as the GPS accuracy would have been well compromised
Tradeoffs may have to be made but, as with the 305, are best left in my view as a user option. If the 310XT actually has better battery performance, then we should get more than the 305's 3.5 hours of recording at 1-sec intervals. If there is another way to get more accurate tracks, of course that would be fine and I hope Garmin can make that happen. My own experience of using the 310XT for trail running is that distances come up slightly short, and the track cuts 'corners' or parallels the trail. For the few times I've used it on roads, it's been very accurate (both distance and track image).

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
03-01-2010, 02:08 AM
Tradeoffs may have to be made but, as with the 305, are best left in my view as a user option. If the 310XT actually has better battery performance, then we should get more than the 305's 3.5 hours of recording at 1-sec intervals. If there is another way to get more accurate tracks, of course that would be fine and I hope Garmin can make that happen. My own experience of using the 310XT for trail running is that distances come up slightly short, and the track cuts 'corners' or parallels the trail. For the few times I've used it on roads, it's been very accurate (both distance and track image).

I suspect the 3.5 hours is more about the number of data points stored than battery duration.
We were with the race director who has ran a measuring wheel over the course. We were all surprised the Garmins were long, as in our experience they have tended to be short due to corner cutting and GPS accuracy in dense bush. Now, the RD, is considering the accuracy of his wheel!!

Hopefully Garmin will sort out the track image as they have said they will. If you play this in google earth
http://www.runsaturday.com/act/225498/subView/Player
you can clearly see that I too have the same tracking experiences. The trail is out and back on a very twisty course. alot of it under dense tree cover. Would this have been improved by 1 sec recording? Possibly, but remember also the signal degradation is quite high reducing the GPS accuracy

GMSAXTON
03-01-2010, 09:40 AM
I suspect the 3.5 hours is more about the number of data points stored than battery duration.
We were with the race director who has ran a measuring wheel over the course. We were all surprised the Garmins were long, as in our experience they have tended to be short due to corner cutting and GPS accuracy in dense bush. Now, the RD, is considering the accuracy of his wheel!!

Hopefully Garmin will sort out the track image as they have said they will. If you play this in google earth
http://www.runsaturday.com/act/225498/subView/Player
you can clearly see that I too have the same tracking experiences. The trail is out and back on a very twisty course. alot of it under dense tree cover. Would this have been improved by 1 sec recording? Possibly, but remember also the signal degradation is quite high reducing the GPS accuracy
Looks like a great run on a nice course. It was hard to identify the actual trail (and therefore how the GPS track aligns with it) but easy to see how the out and back sections do not overlay onto one another. That is likely due to lack of GPS accuracy. However, I experience something a bit different -- long sections of the GPS track that run roughly parallel to the trail and GPS tracks that cut off portions of the trail (eg switchbacks usually). I think in both of these situations, a few more GPS points on the recorded track would help. Not likely to make me any better a runner, but at least I'd have a bit more confidence in the distance and pace measurements!

VANISLE
03-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Tradeoffs may have to be made but, as with the 305, are best left in my view as a user option.

This

The 305 manual explicity states that 1sec is the most accurate way. We just want the choice. Not all of my runs are going to be 100km epics.

AAROE_01
03-06-2010, 07:54 AM
Hi

I would like:
1. To be able to save all settings (i.e. Alarms, GPS on/off etc.) to each mode - if I know I am indoors for a workout, why search for sattelites?

2. The possibility for custom modes, not three bike modes, and one others, should at least be the other way around

3. The possibility to save current position as a waypoint with one button when in map mode

4. A battery indicator in the the on/off button menu - all other information is already there

5. +1 to different sounds for different alarms

6. Garmin to implement the feasible wishes from this thread asap ;)

ANDREWNAGY
03-07-2010, 12:50 AM
Just done my first Triathlon with this watch, used the multisport mode, in my haste i pushed start instead of lap when i was coming out of T2:mad: ruined my timings -

So my wish list suggestion is to have the start button locked or inactive in multisport mode, and in order to reactivate it you need to press another button, or maybe hold it down:)

I also hit the wrong buttons from time to time. So make the Lap button a different colour, Orange would be good.

ANDREWNAGY
03-07-2010, 01:00 AM
I would really love to be able to delete specific laps directly on the watch the way I used to be able to on my FR301. In the history looking at a specific lap I could choose to delete that lap. This was very handy if I accidentally hit the lap button twice or in particular at the end of a run where the last lap was usually around 50ft. long because I hit stop after the lap beep sounded. Thanks!

Agreed. Would be useful to delete resting laps during interval training sessions.

ANDREWNAGY
03-07-2010, 01:19 AM
Liking the zoom, but how about hitting enter to change up/dn buttons to be pan up/dn, hit enter again, then pan pan left/right, enter again to get back to zooming.

MADEUPNAME
03-14-2010, 12:39 PM
*Only upload workouts that have been reset and therefore stored*

As the 310 will upload workouts that have not been reset, please change this as pausing an indoor run or bike (for instance) if too close to the Ant stick reception zone will cause the 310 to send the workout to GC and reset the workout automatically.

Whilst a work around is to keep the Ant stick unplugged takes away some of the advantage of having a wireless connection that negates the need to be at your pc/Mac to effect an upload.

ALAALA
03-14-2010, 03:42 PM
*Only upload workouts that have been reset and therefore stored*

As the 310 will upload workouts that have not been reset, please change this as pausing an indoor run or bike (for instance) if too close to the Ant stick reception zone will cause the 310 to send the workout to GC and reset the workout automatically.

Whilst a work around is to keep the Ant stick unplugged takes away some of the advantage of having a wireless connection that negates the need to be at your pc/Mac to effect an upload.

I really second this request. It's a pain to forget to turn off auto upload in cases like this... :eek:

NSHON
03-22-2010, 11:16 PM
- The watch knows when sunset is. Allow a light 'always on after sunset' option. Am I the only person who rides in dark places?

MDT5
03-25-2010, 04:29 PM

Steve, you asked which features are missing from the 310xt that used to exist with the 305. The major example that springs to mind is the absence of a Quick Workout for distance and time.

For instance, if I do a 10k run, with the 305, I can key in the time of my last run. Then I can the use the virtual partner during my run to try to beat it.

To the best of my knowledge this feature does not exist on the 310xt, but I cannot for the life of me understand why. So now, I use the 310xt on my bike, but I am still using my 305 for running, which is very disappointing.

MAGUVER
05-07-2010, 01:21 PM
Each bike setting should have it's own set of data pages. Right now the same data page settings are shared among all bikes.

For instance, I don't have a cadence/speed sensor on my mountain bike, so I don't really care to see cadence on the data page. But my road bike I do.

This would be REALLY USEFUL, I guess it would be simple by adding the feature to a new firmware.

e.g. since I have a training MTB (double suspension) , so the data I require is different from the MTB (Hardtail) while I΄m racing (all lap data features, pace and bpm are most of the info used. Completely different history to the info required for a road bike where distance, %grade, speed, rpm FCR%)

So it would be nice just by the time of hitting the bike1 to have 4 fields by 4 displays screen different from the ones customized for bike 2 and so on.

You waist time before riding to activate or deactivate screens ... it is really a nuisance.

ALAALA
05-08-2010, 09:30 AM
I realized today that I would like to see the accumulated distance and time,
too, in the lap history screen. There is certainly space there to do it.

Laps' distances (especially) and times get rounded, but the two fields
I'm suggesting would of course fetch un-rounded data and just round once.

Please do not forget this, Garmin.

It is a true annoyance not being able to see the accumulated time after each lap (and to a lesser extent, the accumulated distance).

ALAALA
05-28-2010, 01:00 PM
Following up here on a post from https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=8864 I've now received information that there is indeed at least one ANT+ speaking barometric altimeter pod (A+SBAP) coming out this autumn.

That's very good news!

Of course, now the pressure (har-har) is on Garmin to update the firmware in the 310 (and the other Forerunners) to enable us users to deal with this A+SBAP much the same way as we deal with the footpods. That is, we should have a menu where we can choose which elavation data source should be recorded to the track.

EKUTTER
05-28-2010, 06:56 PM
OK, I must be missing something here. Following the links, I see Adidas foot pod and hr straps but nothing about a barometric pressure pod. Do you have a link to more info on this?

ALAALA
05-29-2010, 12:22 AM
No web links, but an email reply from someone at the site responding to a direct question from me.

(I'm not comfortable with posting emails sent to me on the internet, as I trust others not to post emails from me on the internet.)

ANDRE77AB
05-29-2010, 02:01 AM
Looking forward to see a Power Zone avg 3"

PUFFOLINO
05-31-2010, 12:13 PM
I read all psotings of this thread now (or at least nearly all :D) – but will Garmin do so?
It's nice to post good ideas (or send it directly to Garmin as I did already some times), but where is the active dialog with the Garmin developer team? A feedback to different thoughts of users or a coordinator who is a connecting link between the users and the developer would be great.

This would help to force active user to forward (good) ideas which (could) help to improve Garmins product! ;)

Michael

PS here's one of around 100 ideas how to improve the FR310: there are some configuration settings (e.g. GPS) which can have only two modes (e.g. ON or OFF) – to change this setting, three buttons have to be pressed (Enter, UP, Enter) but it would be enough to swap the mode by pressing just Enter

ANDREYK72
06-01-2010, 09:04 AM
It is really pity that 310XT does not support MAX speed indication as it was in 305. I'm very surprised that this display setting is absent. The 310XT has couple of advantages for using in WindSurfing sport - waterproof and countdown timer that can be used in races. However the absence of Max Speed indication cross-off this device from speed windsurfing sport - this is very important to see the max speed on unit's display when you're on the water.

DUSAN07
06-01-2010, 01:25 PM
When the watch is off, pressing any button (or any side button, or any front button) shows the clock for let's say, 5 seconds.

DUSAN07
06-01-2010, 02:06 PM
The new firmware alows in "other settings" to enable/disable "swim". Enabling "swim" (I think it has something to do with better calculating the distance while swimming open water) turns off/hides the HR options for "other" mode. Now why did you do that guys?
Fortunately it keeps on measuring the HR anyways (while out of water of course) and I think it also measures according to preset zones - do not touch that function please. :rolleyes:
All I am saying is you might soon get bunch of people asking here on forum "where did my "heart rate" menu go?"
I am well aware of HR monitor not working under water, but imagine that some people while swimmig indoors swim by zones and keep the HR monitor on pool side just to check the HR time to time or in between intervals. works. do not complicate

PIPPI63
06-03-2010, 07:41 PM
Number 1 has to be design the basics flawlessly - A heart rate monitor strap that doesnt spike and sit at 210+ for minutes on end despite taking all "solutions" mooted to date.

Agree!

ANDERSTHOLEN
07-25-2010, 04:30 PM
To improve accuracy, it should be possible to enable 1-sec recording.

To me, it's unbelievable how Garmin can reduce the ability to get better accuracy in the 310xt, compared to the 305, by not allowing the recording frequency to be set to 1 second, but enforcing "smart recording", which measures the location roughly every 4th second.

ALAALA
07-26-2010, 01:14 AM
To improve accuracy, it should be possible to enable 1-sec recording.

To me, it's unbelievable how Garmin can reduce the ability to get better accuracy in the 310xt, compared to the 305, by not allowing the recording frequency to be set to 1 second, but enforcing "smart recording", which measures the location roughly every 4th second.

The 310 still samples every second internally, and if there's a change (speed and/or direction) a GPS point is dropped, every second if necessary.

What makes you think accuracy is lesser with smart recording? I've made some checks with my 305s and there was no difference between 1-second and smart recording, not even on a 400m-track.

MARTINDANGER
08-27-2010, 01:35 AM
My item for the wishlist is rolling averages for power to be made available as data field options. I bought the 310XT for several reasons, one of which was its ability to sync and work with an ANT+ power meter. I really just wanted one device on my bike to measure stuff (HR, Speed, Cadence, Power)
The 310XT is almost perfect in that regard except for reporting power. A major point of using a power meter is so that you can train at specific power levels. With the instantaneous readout now available the figures shown are not that useful for this purpose.
Please Garmin, help me avoid having to buy another gadget for the bike emptying my wallet and cluttering up my handlebars :-)

AMAFERANGA
08-27-2010, 04:29 AM
The 310XT really, really, really should have the option to include zeros in the displayed average power. I can't think of any good reason why this wasn't included from the start given that it's considered a useful feature on other Garmins.

The last firmware update was a massive disappointment for me - backward steps with the GSC-10 logic and nothing useful for power meter users.

DARTONP
08-29-2010, 02:54 PM
I've asked Garmin to add minimum heart rate to the data fields on the 310 and also gamin connect.

The reason for this is that to setup your heart rate zones you need to know your minimum heart rate. This can only really be found out whilst you are sleeping over night. Why not use the 310 to record heart rate over night and tell you what your minimum heart rate was. Also don't what to buy another gadget to find this out.

What does everyone else think?
:)

ALAALA
08-29-2010, 04:29 PM
IThe reason for this is that to setup your heart rate zones you need to know your minimum heart rate.

WARNING: Major dissing ahead!

No, really you don't (or shouldn't need to). Unless you're putting your faith in the unscientific Karvonen's formula...

Karvonen's formula was arbitrarily thought up by Karvonen et al in the 50s because they didn't have anything else. It appeared to be a cool equation, so to speak. Karvonen has later stated in an interview (which at least has been possible to find on the net before (I've read it)) that the formula was never meant to be used as widely as it has been (blame the Finns!), and that there was no science at all behind the inclusion of min HR. Additionally, from a purely physiological viewpoint, the increase in total blood volume output by the heart isn't linear with HR until possibly at a relatively high HR (when the stroke volume has reached it's full capacity). And, furthermore, Karvonen's formula says that the better conditioned you become, the lower HR should you train at (and vice versa) (beacuse the min HR gets lower)... Which can't be anything but nonsense.

But, to end this tirade in a positive manner, I'd be open to hear from someone who actually has seen peer-reviewed papers showing there is truth in Karvonen's formula, and that min HR has any significance to HR zone construction for training.

DARTONP
09-02-2010, 02:39 PM
You probably just confused 99% of people with that reply.

Personally I want to know what my resting heart rate is for two reason, to gauge my fitness and also to use to calculate my rough training zones.

99% of people want this to be simple to work out different zone to do training in. To setup the zones on the watch you need your resting heart rate. Needs to be simple to check for most people and not some complex equation.

Measuring your heart rate over night and then reading your minimum in the morning is what most people need to know.

ALAALA
09-03-2010, 08:26 AM

Personally I want to know what my resting heart rate is for two reason, to gauge my fitness and also to use to calculate my rough training zones.

99% of people want this to be simple to work out different zone to do training in. To setup the zones on the watch you need your resting heart rate. Needs to be simple to check for most people and not some complex equation.

Measuring your heart rate over night and then reading your minimum in the morning is what most people need to know.

What could be simpler that just using MAX HR?

Well, of course, people would still use the 220-age formula (226-age for women) when that's just an average with a standard deviation of 10 (meaning that 5% of all people are even outside the range +/-20...).

Fact: most of the people out there are guaranteed to train in the wrong HR zones.

NEAHORA
09-06-2010, 02:18 AM

I hope they do it soon

COFFEECHUCK
09-06-2010, 03:09 PM
OK here's my wish list for the next firmware update

1 . Battery life - on startup should show battery life - the 201 I seem to recall did
2. Data sampling - need to have a choice on smart and increased sampling. For trail running and windsurfing greater frequency is a must- was on the 305
3. Maximum Speed -Data Field - need maximum speed, for windsurfing this is a must. Only way you can see now is to reset and then look at history. Garmin is missing this market

4. Sunset/Sunrise - Data Field - I agree at Sunset/Sunrise - again on the 305

JGIEDT
09-09-2010, 01:29 PM
My old eyes aren't what they used to be. I'd like to see messages, especially LAP TIMES, Started and Stopped to be much larger. Also consider using the negative pixel effect, such as when you are behind your little pace guy.

That would be a huge help to me and very easy w/i a software update. Remember, we are running, maybe in the dark, in traffic etc. You have a big screen so please use it.

ATJ777
09-09-2010, 05:49 PM
The ability to use the Garmin Speed/Cadence Sensor (GSC 10) as the source for speed information when the GPS is turned on.

ATJ777
09-10-2010, 05:02 PM
Selecting Speed Source as GPS actually makes the GPS the Speed Source when wearing a foot pod.

DARTONP
09-11-2010, 02:07 AM
Selecting Speed Source as GPS actually makes the GPS the Speed Source when wearing a foot pod.
The reason for having a GPS watch is that the speed source is GPS when wearing a foot pod. The foot pod is used when you lose satellite signal or you are running inside with the GPS off. If you want to use the foot pod or Bike Speed/Cadence sensor as your primary speed recorder then why do you really want something with GPS other than mapping? Please state the reason you want the speed/cadence sensor as the speed source?

EKUTTER
09-11-2010, 08:52 AM
The reason for having a GPS watch is that the speed source is GPS when wearing a foot pod. The foot pod is used when you lose satellite signal or you are running inside with the GPS off. If you want to use the foot pod or Bike Speed/Cadence sensor as your primary speed recorder then why do you really want something with GPS other than mapping? Please state the reason you want the speed/cadence sensor as the speed source?

Actually, the reason to use the foot pod for speed source is because it is more consistent (not accurate). When you set the 310 to foot pod for speed source, only the instantaneous speed goes off of the foot pod. Distance and lap speed still use the GPS (assuming you have a GPS signal).

Using GPS for instantaneous speed often causes a fair amount of fluctuation over short periods even if you are keeping a constant pace. If you look at the speed graph in GC or TC, if you use the foot pod for the speed, you get a pretty smooth line. If you use GPS for the speed, you get a very jagged line.

GPS does tend to give you a more accurate distance (and thus average speed) over any real distance. And best of all, GPS doesn't require calibration.

ATJ777
09-11-2010, 04:50 PM
The reason for having a GPS watch is that the speed source is GPS when wearing a foot pod.
You quoted my post but it appears you did not actually ready it. Go back and read it again.

With the current firmware (2.90), if you are wearing a foot pod, the 310XT will display the pace data from the foot pod NOT from the GPS, regardless of the setting for Speed Source. i.e. it is a bug that needs to be fixed.

You state the reason for having a GPS watch is using GPS as the speed source so I would thought you would agree that the watch should allow you to select that.

If you want to use the foot pod or Bike Speed/Cadence sensor as your primary speed recorder then why do you really want something with GPS other than mapping? Please state the reason you want the speed/cadence sensor as the speed source?

Two different sets of answers here, one for a bike and one for running with a foot pod.

For a bike, I only really want the GPS for mapping and (corrected) elevation data. Getting speed data from the wheel is going to be both almost instantaneous. When your riding on a road and having to abide by road rules, the instantaneous feedback of current speed is essential. If you enter the wheel size correctly, getting the speed data from the wheel is also going to be more accurate than GPS, especially on a cloudy day.

For running, I want the option to choose the speed/pace source depending on what I'm doing, although I will most likely go for foot pod as the pace source (which is lucky because that's what I get at the moment). As mentioned by EKUTTER, pace data from the foot pod is going to be near instantaneous. If you are doing interval sessions, having the pace change quickly is important as you move from one set pace to another. The pace alerts are also more relevant. Even on a regular run having displayed pace change within seconds of a real pace change is of more value than waiting 10 or 20 seconds for the GPS changes to be factored in.

It's all about choice and allowing owners of the watch to make their own decision as to the pace/speed source rather than forcing it on them. It is a simple matter of programming.

ATJ777
09-11-2010, 04:54 PM
If you look at the speed graph in GC or TC, if you use the foot pod for the speed, you get a pretty smooth line. If you use GPS for the speed, you get a very jagged line.
Actually, GC gives the foot pod a higher priority. If you use a foot pod and have GPS turned on, GC will display the pace data from the foot pod.

GTC on the other hand gives priority to the GPS and will use the GPS data for the pace graph even if a foot pod was in use.

The TCX files store the data from both and the applications can use either.

The easy way to demonstrate this if you have a foot pod is to set the calibration to 4000 and go for a walk. GC will display your pace at 4 times what it really was (due to the calibration factor on the foot pod) and GTC will display the actual pace - all from the same TCX file.

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
09-11-2010, 08:23 PM
You quoted my post but it appears you did not actually ready it. Go back and read it again.

With the current firmware (2.90), if you are wearing a foot pod, the 310XT will display the pace data from the foot pod NOT from the GPS, regardless of the setting for Speed Source. i.e. it is a bug that needs to be fixed.

You state the reason for having a GPS watch is using GPS as the speed source so I would thought you would agree that the watch should allow you to select that.

Two different sets of answers here, one for a bike and one for running with a foot pod.

For a bike, I only really want the GPS for mapping and (corrected) elevation data. Getting speed data from the wheel is going to be both almost instantaneous. When your riding on a road and having to abide by road rules, the instantaneous feedback of current speed is essential. If you enter the wheel size correctly, getting the speed data from the wheel is also going to be more accurate than GPS, especially on a cloudy day.

For running, I want the option to choose the speed/pace source depending on what I'm doing, although I will most likely go for foot pod as the pace source (which is lucky because that's what I get at the moment). As mentioned by EKUTTER, pace data from the foot pod is going to be near instantaneous. If you are doing interval sessions, having the pace change quickly is important as you move from one set pace to another. The pace alerts are also more relevant. Even on a regular run having displayed pace change within seconds of a real pace change is of more value than waiting 10 or 20 seconds for the GPS changes to be factored in.

It's all about choice and allowing owners of the watch to make their own decision as to the pace/speed source rather than forcing it on them. It is a simple matter of programming.

I don't get that bit. Maybe it's because I don't ride fast enough to worry about speed restrictions even in urban areas.

ATJ777
09-11-2010, 10:00 PM
I don't get that bit. Maybe it's because I don't ride fast enough to worry about speed restrictions even in urban areas.
I ride through 20 and 40 km/h zones.

DARTONP
09-12-2010, 12:52 PM
The Foot Pod is it is only fully accurate if running at a consistent speed all the time.

If you run with a large range of speed then the foot pod will come very inaccurate. I will run at about 180 steps a minute weather running slow or very fast. The thing that majorly changes is stride length which the foot pod cannot measure. How can speed be accurate when running at ranges between 5min/mile and 9min/mile?

What is best for speed source? Foot Pod or GPS

STIIVERS
09-12-2010, 02:27 PM
The thing that majorly changes is stride length which the foot pod cannot measure.

Wrong. The footpod is NOT a simple stride counter.
It contains several accellerometers that combined with fairly sophisticated programming is capable of measuring how long your stride is, regardless of whether it is long or short.
When it is calibrated to your stride in your shoes, it's usually spot on.

Stig

ATJ777
09-12-2010, 04:46 PM
The Foot Pod is it is only fully accurate if running at a consistent speed all the time.
My experience is vastly different from this.

A week or so ago I went to an Olympic track to try mine out and even though I hadn't calibrated it (the goal of the session was to determine the calibration factor) it was pretty accurate at a range of pace from 5:44/km to 2:39/km.

I started with an easy 800 metres and the measured distance was within 2 metres - more accurate that you could get with GPS. 800 metres at 5:44/km (http://connect.garmin.com/activity/47592060)

I then ran a 5k, trying to keep my pace consistent but not doing a great job as it was very windy. Never-the-less, I finished with a total variation in distance of only 1.43% - I see that sort of variation between runs measured with GPS. The worst lap for accuracy was my first lap that was over by just over 3% - but given I was not up to pace when I started, I'd expect it to be inaccurate. 5,000 metres at (average) 4:23/km (http://connect.garmin.com/activity/47592064)

Finally, I did 2 x 400m (with a rest in between) at a much faster pace. This was not as accurate, but not because of the pace, but because I started from standing rather than making sure I ran through the start line. Next time I'm at the track I'll redo the start to get rid of that error.400 metres at 2:59/km (http://connect.garmin.com/activity/47592068) 400 metres at 2:59/km (http://connect.garmin.com/activity/47592070)

For pace while I'm running, this is going to be far more accurate than GPS, especially on a course with lots of bends.

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
09-12-2010, 07:51 PM
I ride through 20 and 40 km/h zones.

Ah! So do I, but I've never been too fussed on the actual speed through these areas on a bike. Even +/- 5 kph is not going to get me stopped or arrested. Besides, I generally have a good idea of speed based on gear, cadence and heart rate, all felt rather than having to stare at an instrument.

ATJ777
09-13-2010, 02:30 PM
Here's another wish list item...

Either:

The ability to add extra data fields on the Virtual Partner screen
The ability to add "Time Ahead/Behind" and/or "Distance Ahead/Behind" to other data screens

I really like using Virtual Partner with courses (basically runs I have done before) but I'd like to be able to see things like Heart Rate on the same screen. For me, the top half of the Virtual Partner screen is a waste and the only thing I'm really interested in is Time Ahead. If I could use that field on another screen I'd be happy.

I know I can scroll between screens but that something extra to do when I need to be running.

ALAALA
09-15-2010, 06:52 AM
When having Time (that is, the total time of current activity) in a small field (in a screen setup with three or four fields), the count should not go from minutes:seconds to hours:minutes, at least not until after 99:59, but preferably to hours:minutes:seconds, albeit with a bit smaller digits (especially the hour digit(s).

It is annoying to lose the seconds after one hour. I thought I had found (after all these years! :eek: ) the perfect race setup (total time, current HR, current lap time, current lap pace), but totally forgot that the seconds disappears after 59:59.

EKUTTER
09-15-2010, 08:28 AM
When having Time (that is, the total time of current activity) in a small field (in a screen setup with three or four fields), the count should not go from minutes:seconds to hours:minutes, at least not until after 99:59, but preferably to hours:minutes:seconds, albeit with a bit smaller digits (especially the hour digit(s).

I have been asking for this ever since the Edge 705 came out almost 3 years ago. It doesn't seem like it should be that hard. Needing to take up two fields just so you can see seconds after 1 hour is ridiculous.

JAMESCALVIN
09-16-2010, 03:10 PM
Please permit a faster Auto Scroll.

Each screen is up for 2 seconds on the FAST scroll speed.

I want a new screen every 1/2 (0.5) seconds or every 1/4 (0.25) seconds.

When I am running, 8 seconds is a long time to hold my arm up waiting for the 310XT to scroll through 4 screens.

JAMESCALVIN
09-16-2010, 03:35 PM
During cool down, I'd like the an option for the Auto Scroll to scroll through the screens just like when the timer is running - see my heart rate drop - see the time, etc.

Suggestion: Pushing and holding the Up or Down arrow for 2 seconds when the timer is Stopped would start the Auto Scroll; pushing and holding the Enter button for 2 seconds would stop the scroll.

ANDRE77AB
09-23-2010, 08:24 AM
With new fw release:

1- Power avg 3"

2- Power Zone avg 3"

MLDRIELING
09-25-2010, 09:29 AM
Is there a way that the 310 can just show the time. I like having a regular watch while traveling from home to the run.

SEILOGRAMP
09-25-2010, 10:23 AM
From the menu go to Settings > Run Settings > Data Fields
Choose one of the data fields. Change number of items to 1, press enter. Change to "Time of Day."

MLDRIELING
09-26-2010, 10:11 AM
Thanks! That did it.

BRASCO1033
10-08-2010, 09:29 AM
I'd like to be able to have multiple profiles as my missus also uses my 310xt and needs different HR zones etc.
Also, a lap counter for the pool would be excellent....probably feasible for an outdoor pool using the GPS to detect alternating headings...but indoor??

I have the same issue. One GPS with 2 x users. It's not as if I'm going to buy a second Garmin for the family. 2 users would be awesome.

GETHALDUS
11-15-2010, 03:26 PM
I am missing:
-sunrise
-sunset
-min. speed alarm
-max. speed alarm

UBMEISTER
11-18-2010, 01:39 PM
Just got my 310XT and am really disappointed about the fact that the bike1 to bike 3 modes share settings and datafields :mad:. I read in this forum that you could customize (rename) the bike modes, so I was expecting seperate settings for each as well... I was really hoping to do multiple (more than 3) sports without reconfiguring my watch, like I always needed to do on my 405.

And I also miss sunrise and sunset times.

Other than that, I love it, it's way better than the 405. No touch bezel! :D

PUFFOLINO
11-19-2010, 07:17 AM
Because the new firmware 3.oo has introduced "3 second power" and "30 second power" to be displayed in the data fields, I hope "3 second speed/pace" and "30 second speed/pace" will be made available soon :rolleyes:

AMAFERANGA
11-20-2010, 08:50 AM
Still no option to include zeros in the displayed power average in firmware 3.0?

PUFFOLINO
11-21-2010, 09:10 AM
I'm getting older and it seems that my arms will be to short in few years to be able to read the display :rolleyes:

I would like to get a modern looking character set (e.g. futura) for the digits, where each cipher will be recognized easier compared to the old style 7-segment type font.

JOANNE422
11-21-2010, 05:41 PM
I would love an 'invisible screen' setting, ie turn the watch on and record everything, but not have a display. Sometimes I am too much of a slave to the pace reading when I'm running!

ATJ777
11-21-2010, 06:07 PM
I would love an 'invisible screen' setting, ie turn the watch on and record everything, but not have a display.
You can do that now. Just set up a Data Fields screen with one field that is something that is not of interest - e.g. time of day, GPS accuracy or even Power - which should display nothing.

RUSKIE-IT
11-24-2010, 05:07 AM
I'd like to have back the option I had in my 305 of setting pace alert outside training. Maybe it seems odd to many because in races you don't use it, but I like to time my long runs without using a specific workout (mostly because I am not always sure of exactly how many kms I'm going to run).
I know I can set up a custom workout 64kms long and just run and interrupt it when I'm done, but I feel it awkward with respect of the simple pace alert I used to have.

I also would like to have the old data field "Paused Time". I know I can calculate it by the new "Elapsed time" minus "Time", but it's easier if the watch does it for me...

Any chances?

DENTIMARIUS
12-01-2010, 02:44 AM
Hy. I'm new here. I just buy 310xt, made the firmware update...
I'm disappointed about two things: there is no standby display(to show the time of day, and most important to show the date), and there is no alarm function for clock.

To show the time of the day I found one solution: set to "φther" sport, set to show 2 field on the display. First field is set to show the time. It's OK, it shows hour:mins:secs. But in fields list I don't find nothing about the date(day of the month). And the device is reading this data too from the sattelites, si it should be easy to add a new field to shao the date....

And I am missing so much a clock alarm function.

Maybe in the next firmware please? Thank's...

DW152
12-01-2010, 04:40 AM
The 310xt isn't really meant to be a watch that you would wear. If you want an alarm and a continuous time display, you might want to look at the Forerunner 210 or 410.

RUSKIE-IT
12-01-2010, 07:28 AM
After reading the instructions of the new Timex I've got another thing I'd like to add to the wish list, though I consider this much less "mandatory" than my previous.
I'd like to have a multiple "lap resume", i.e. when you hit the lap button the watch would show not only the lap time but also the split time (time since the start of the workout), hr avg, hr max and maybe lap and split distance, like the Timex does.
Oh and in history mode would be great if these basic informations could be displayed as well.

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
12-01-2010, 12:05 PM
After reading the instructions of the new Timex I've got another thing I'd like to add to the wish list, though I consider this much less "mandatory" than my previous.
I'd like to have a multiple "lap resume", i.e. when you hit the lap button the watch would show not only the lap time but also the split time (time since the start of the workout), hr avg, hr max and maybe lap and split distance, like the Timex does.
Oh and in history mode would be great if these basic informations could be displayed as well.

Have a look from page 28 of the manual. You can set your data fields on the 310 to do just that. Screen real estate may only allow 4 fields per screen, but you can set up to 4 sport-specific data pages.

RUSKIE-IT
12-02-2010, 02:03 AM
Have a look from page 28 of the manual. You can set your data fields on the 310 to do just that. Screen real estate may only allow 4 fields per screen, but you can set up to 4 sport-specific data pages.

Yes, I know. But I'm not talking about the availability of the data fields, which is a good thing anyway. Also the Timex has it. Actually, it has 5 pages though not sport specific but all in common.
The thing is a little different: I run with a certain setup (let's say for example Total time, total distance, pace, avg pace); if I want to look at "lap time" for example, or at split time (which I don't believe we have, but it's not the most important field I can think of), I have to manually scroll to the data page of interest.
This is of course ok 'cause it is the only option if you don't have hawk-eye and can read 16 data fields on one display, but gets a bit unpractical if you are to do that each lap. If you really want to do that each lap on a 21kms run for example, assuming your running performance loose 1-2 seconds each time you use your hands to look at the data, it starts to add up to a fair amount of time.
What I am talking about are the info that are temporarily shown when the lap button is pressed (or more important, an autolap is triggered). In the FR310XT you only get the lap time. Would be cool if other than that you could see on that screen also avg lap hr/avg speed/split time or other kind of information.
As I said, however, this is not so "mandatory" as other things, just a very nice addition. One might argue that this would be better if also configurable by the user, but that would need a consistent modification of the watch software.

DENTIMARIUS
12-02-2010, 07:32 AM
The 310xt isn't really meant to be a watch that you would wear. If you want an alarm and a continuous time display, you might want to look at the Forerunner 210 or 410.

Yes, I know that, but I consider very usefull the alarm function, and showing the date too... When I wear 310xt, I can't wear another watch, right?

Realy, is not big deal to make it show the date, or to implement an alarm function. The date can be like the time of the day is, a simply data field... And about the alarm is no need for an advanced one, a basic alarm will be just perfect.

RUSKIE-IT
12-02-2010, 01:46 PM
Yes, I know that, but I consider very usefull the alarm function, and showing the date too... When I wear 310xt, I can't wear another watch, right?

Realy, is not big deal to make it show the date, or to implement an alarm function. The date can be like the time of the day is, a simply data field... And about the alarm is no need for an advanced one, a basic alarm will be just perfect.
Yes, but you're not supposed to wear it while you're not running/cycling/swimming, and in that case you shouldn't need the alarm and/or date 'cause you know very well before you go out exercising how much time you've got for it...
Nevertheless, you are right in that gps watches might have it.... and infact, 405 and the lot they have it. 305/310 are just more on the "seriously running" side. :)
I'd say this is a nice to have, but not a must have...

ONNOVS
03-23-2011, 11:09 AM
Another vote here for a key combination to turn gps on and off.

Me too. I use the 310 XT alternately for running outdoors and spinning indoors. When I go spinning my friends get annoyed having to wait for me to adjust my device or wait for it to suggest I'm indoors when it fails to detect a GPS signal. Besides I have to put my reading glasses on before I can navigate through the menus. A key combination or two steps to select a non-gps training type I could do by memory. Another option could be to prompt for GPS on/off at startup (with enable / disable config option for that feature in the system menu). Probably such a global setting is not exactly what most people want, but might be cheapest to implement. Can always be extended or improved upon in a next release :-)

Of course I could think of disabling the GPS prior to leaving my home, but I'm human, so I forget :-(

FAB_QASHQAI
03-26-2011, 05:54 AM
My request:
add an option allowing the users to choose the calories calculation method when wearing a Heart Rate Monitor (choice between two items: HR or Distance).
This would allow runners who trust in distance/weight method -more than in HR based algorithms- to count calories with distance while monitoring HR values and zones; AFAIK currently this is impossible with 310XT.
Thanks
BR

PUFFOLINO
06-21-2011, 06:59 AM
Because the new firmware 3.oo has introduced "3 second power" and "30 second power" to be displayed in the data fields, I hope "3 second speed/pace" and "30 second speed/pace" will be made available soon :rolleyes:

In the meantime, we got version 3.7o – introducing a "VS 30s Avg." :confused: – but the speed/pace values still jumping around like random numbers while running :(

Please add a way to show smoother values ;)

Michael

PS: there still more features I would like to have, here are my top three:

• save/restore settings via Ant: I don't want to do all configurations, like display (60 screens!), heartrate & speed zones again and again...

• I'm getting older and my need glasses, longer arms or... more readable ciphers (Garmin, pls throw away these 1970 style 7-segment characters)

• if doing old fashioned things, I would like to get back some retro-functions from older Forerunner series, especially for the virtuall partner: visible kilometer marks and the possibility to see, how many seconds the virtual runner has beaten myself