PDA

View Full Version : The musings of a 310xt owner and the possibility of parting company

IRONKEV
09-01-2009, 05:35 AM
So I have owned my 310xt for a few days now, and have spent more time on forums and searching threads than I have training. It has shut down, failed to upload, lost my workouts, has two resets, etc etc.

BUT I LOVE this watch and everything that that it can do (when it works) I even LOVE Garmin connect (when it works)

I just can’t be doing with the hassle of losing workouts etc, so do I return it and make a move to polar, suunto…… None of which appear to have everything that the 310xt has, or do I swap my unit for a tried and tested 305?

So there are two sides to this, the first is that perhaps Garmin should have debugged their systems before release or on the positive side do we thank them for being so forward thinking, after all Garmin connect seems brilliant as does the watch.

I guess my question is this: as early adopters are we just going through the painful birthing process are these just teething problems, did the 305 have issues when it first came out?

Maybe we all need to be patient, in a few weeks/months from now after further firmware updates etc, maybe then the unit will perform as it should. Then we can analyse our data and train to our hearts content happy in the knowledge that the unit on our wrist is the latest and best bit of kit on the market.

DW152
09-01-2009, 05:50 AM
If your watch is shutting down in the middle of the run, it sounds like you really have a defective watch that should be replaced. Your problems sound way beyond the usual problems.

As far as your other points go, I do agree that Garmin needs to put a little more polish on their products. When Apple releases new products or software, there will usually be a few bugs initially, but the company seems to react very quickly with updates. And last summer we had the public apology by Jobs -- and an extra three free months -- when MobileMe had some major snags.

But, Garmin does have the best integration of GPS with fitness devices (Suunto doesn't do GPS with their fitness products, and Polar is playing catch-up right now), so Garmin enjoying a bit of a monopoly status right now. In the entire scheme of things, I get the impression that Garmin's fitness devices are a small part of their company compared to their other markets, and consequently us athletes just don't get our share of the TLC. Fortunately, there are alternatives to GC that are much better.

WATCHMERUN
09-01-2009, 05:51 AM
did the 305 have issues when it first came out?

I have owned the Forerunner 201, Forerunner 301, Forerunner 205 and all were rock solid from the time I bought them. In fact on ALL these three devices I have NEVER upgraded the firmware, being perfectly happy with what came with the watch out of the box.

It seems to be a bit different with the models released in the last two years (recent Edge as well and the Nuvi too). With the downward pressure of prices and the commoditization of GPS the quality in the last 2-3 years has slipped a lot. Garmin is still an innovator, but they are nowhere near the position they were in say.. 2002. My impression, though I have no evidence, is that issues with your 310 will settle down in 4 to 6 months, then you'll probably be perfectly happy.

The Garmin Connect software is another story - it is a work in progress and like most software apps, one could argue that it is never finished. But it should get better over time.

Happy customer for 6 years.

NDURANCERIDER
09-01-2009, 05:53 AM
I would replace your watch. I don't have nearly those problems with mine. Some small irritating things that will get worked out eventually, but not the larger issues you're describing.

If you can, I would exchange it at your local shop where you bought it. Otherwise, call Garmin Support.

April

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
09-01-2009, 07:10 PM
I would replace your watch. I don't have nearly those problems with mine. Some small irritating things that will get worked out eventually, but not the larger issues you're describing.

If you can, I would exchange it at your local shop where you bought it. Otherwise, call Garmin Support.

April

+2 on that. We've got 2 FR310s and have had only minor issues. Used them regularly for the past few weeks for swimming, cycling and running with no reall issues of concern. Definitely worth moving from the FR305.