PDA

View Full Version : Multiple foot pods

GMGEMELOS
12-04-2010, 07:37 PM
I currently run with a Polar RS800 and am thinking of giving either the 410 or 310xt a try. My only concern is that I rotate through two different sets of shoes and like to keep a foot pod on each properly calibrated for that shoe. The polar can keep track of multiple foot pods and that is pretty convenient. It also keeps track of the total milage on each shoe which makes it easy to know when to swap them out. Can either the 410 or 310xt do this?

DW152
12-04-2010, 08:27 PM
The 310 cannot do this, and I doubt that the 410 can do this.

GMGEMELOS
12-04-2010, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. This definitely makes the decision to switch a little harder.

JULIEN321
12-05-2010, 06:58 AM
Have a similar problem. I use an Edge 500 for biking and a Forerunner 210 for running. Have 2 heart rate straps and would like to be able to have either one work with ether one. With Polar any strap works with any watch anytime. I believe this "must be paired" is partly a limitation/feature/requirement of the ANT system (not Garmin). It seems each device on the ANT network has a unique identifier/serial number so you can't just interchange them.

DW152
12-05-2010, 07:33 AM
Have a similar problem. I use an Edge 500 for biking and a Forerunner 210 for running. Have 2 heart rate straps and would like to be able to have either one work with ether one. With Polar any strap works with any watch anytime. I believe this "must be paired" is partly a limitation/feature/requirement of the ANT system (not Garmin). It seems each device on the ANT network has a unique identifier/serial number so you can't just interchange them.

Why don't you use one HRM strap for both your Edge and your Forerunner? I have several Edges and Forerunners that I use, but I just use the same strap for all my workouts. The extra HRM strap is just sitting in its original box.

JULIEN321
12-05-2010, 08:04 AM
Why don't you use one HRM strap for both your Edge and your Forerunner? I have several Edges and Forerunners that I use, but I just use the same strap for all my workouts. The extra HRM strap is just sitting in its original box.

I do and the extra is sitting in the box but.....I have 2 cars and it's nice to have an extra just in case I forget because my memory is.......what were we talking about?:confused:

I showed up for a bike ride a couple of weeks ago and had forgot my front tire. :eek:Not sure how having an extra heart rate strap would help that but....you get the picture.:D

Why have it just wasting away sitting in a box if it COULD be used as a backup.;)

DW152
12-05-2010, 08:25 AM
I do and the extra is sitting in the box but.....I have 2 cars and it's nice to have an extra just in case I forget because my memory is.......what were we talking about?:confused:

I showed up for a bike ride a couple of weeks ago and had forgot my front tire. :eek:Not sure how having an extra heart rate strap would help that but....you get the picture.:D

Why have it just wasting away sitting in a box if it COULD be used as a backup.;)

Sure, I understand. So in your case all you would have to do is to re-pair your new HRM strap if you happen to need to use your backup stashed in your car. That takes a couple of button pushes and a minute or so. If you want to continue using that as your primary strap, then you don't have to do anything different. If you want to go back to using your original strap, then you just need to re-pair your Garmin device with that the next time you use it.

The footpod issue is a bit different. I've rotated shoes before so that I was alternating shoes every other day, or something similar. Re-pairing the footpod every other day would be a bit of a pain. That's a lot different from your once-a-year (I hope) case when you forget your HRM strap. Plus, there is the calibration -- every time you take your footpod off and reinstall it, it should be recalibrated, or at least it was important enough to the OP that he or she wanted to calibrate it.