PDA

View Full Version : Courses

BFULTON12
08-29-2009, 11:56 AM
I tried using a course today and the 310XT kept freezing which required a soft reset. I have another course (about 50 miles) which seems to work ok, but this one at 72 just hangs. Anyone ideas? Is my course just too long for the 310 to manage?

Has anyone had success with using courses on the 310?

Thanks for any feedback.

SEILOGRAMP
08-29-2009, 12:15 PM
I use courses all the time on the 310. I have had issues, but it has been rare. How are you creating your courses? From history or from online course creators? My guess is that course is corrupt.

BFULTON12
08-29-2009, 12:34 PM
I downloaded an existing course from mapmyride. It transferred to my device with out any issues, but when I hit start after selecting 'do course' it hangs. It works fine for a course that I created manually in mapmyride.

SEILOGRAMP
08-29-2009, 02:00 PM
Could be just a fluke, but one of the times I had a problem with a course was from a MapMyRun. If you plan on riding the course again, you might try creating it with some other course creator, such as BikeRouteToaster (http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx).

BFULTON12
08-30-2009, 07:16 PM
Awesome thanks. I tried that yesterday based on another thread and it seems to work. Does seem to be a mapmyrun conflict with the 310.

KIERENB
09-01-2009, 10:42 AM
Yep, this solved an issue for me too. It appears that the MapMyRide courses lack some key elevation data, as the watch hangs on then elevation screen when auto scrolling.

If you like downloading courses from others to try, you can find them in MapMyRide, save them as a gpx, then import into BikeRouteToaster before saving as tcx with elevation data. They then work fine in the 310XT.

PUFFOLINO
09-19-2009, 07:04 AM
Having had never real troubles with courses, my FR310 started beeping just half an hour ago when selecting to do a course (which I have had done already a dozend of times without any problems).

The anoying beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep does not stop - no reaction of the device whatever I do. No key combination helps, nothing have changed when I tried to use the cradle to give the FR310 a kick :eek:

I'm sitting around now, don't want to go for the run :mad:

Michael

SEILOGRAMP
09-19-2009, 08:46 AM
It won't turn off? If not, try a soft reset, lap + mode to force your unit to power off.

PUFFOLINO
09-19-2009, 09:13 AM
It won't turn off? If not, try a soft reset, lap + mode to force your unit to power off.

Did not work, beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep continued.

But after 45 minutes of beeeeeeeeee[...], the mode+lap turned the unit off and on again, but it showed only the startup screen and did not react for anything else but mode+lap.
While doing some dozens of resets, I found out., that the unit was "up" for around 1/2 second, so I could display the backlight screen, but then it was frozen again. One time, I saw "LOADER" on the screen for a short moment, and one time I really was fast enough to delete all data.

Hurray ! More or less, I lost some tracks, one of that was from today early in the morning, together with my wife (she will be angree, I know :()
But also not so fine for me - I have to enter (once again :mad:) all settings (user, data fields, heart rate levels, don't know where to set the speed ranges etc.)

And I will never be sure that the FR310 won't do that again, not a real good feeling :(

Michael

SEILOGRAMP
09-19-2009, 09:32 AM
Michael, glad you got it working and can blow off steam during your run. ;) Something very similar to this happened to my 310xt last week. I had downloaded a run from another GC user as a tcx file. Imported into TC then turned it into a course and sent it to my device. As soon as I started the course my unit froze up. I could turn it off, but as soon as I turned it on it was frozen on the course. Didn't want to mess around with it, since I was a good distance from home on a remote trail, so I did the hard reset and just "winged" the course. I don't have a very good sense of direction so I felt lost the whole time. :o Hasn't happened again since. I don't keep any history on my device, so a hard reset was not going to kill me.

PAULSBELL
09-19-2009, 12:43 PM
Same thing happened to mine after 2 weeks on a course I'd done several times. I rang Garmin, they just said send it back to the retailer for a replacement, which I did, and they sent me a new one... I hope this isn't a common problem:(

PUFFOLINO
09-20-2009, 03:51 AM
I'm not sure, if I should be happy that this problem has been seen also by other users (so Garmin may fix the problem sooner) or sad that this issue may happen once again...

So I hope -- for all -- this won't happen again AND Garmin will find the reason for that soon...

Michael

MTNSUMMIT
10-11-2009, 11:17 PM
I uploaded a file from mapmyrun ( a course pre mapped out) and during the run it kept telling me I was off course ( i was not) then owuld say I was on course, then a few seconds later said I was on course, etc.. - darn thing just kept beeping during my 20 mile run - arghh - any ideas what is going on?

SAEEDI
10-12-2009, 08:00 AM
You should compare your recorded track against the course rack to see if perhaps they weren't identical; Perhaps shifted. If not, then I'd report a course bug for the 310.

D.JONGENEEL
01-09-2010, 04:05 AM
I have tried to load an course to my Garmin Edge 500 and after it loaded the divice doesn't react at all and the display only show an Garmin logo or afterI try to switch it of it show the switching of symbol withou switching of. I tried all combinations for an soft reset as I have seen mentioned here on other devices but I still stays sort of frozen. When I try to upload date from the device to see if there is still life in it my computer and GArmin connect say there is no device located.

Does anyone know how to get my Edge back Alive?

Edit, I was just able to switch it off but when I try to switch it on again I only get an Garmin displayed and nothing else so back at square 1