PDA

View Full Version : Foot Pod versus GPS - Using both at the same time

Michael_abate
10-05-2010, 01:19 PM
Has anyone evaluated using the Foot Pod and GPS simultaneous? What's the behavior and best practice? Is it stupid to use both simultaneous? Which one conquers? etc... My minimal experience with using the foot pod outside is that I felt it might be a bit inaccurate, saying I went farther, and faster than reality. I haven't calibrated it using the distance method.

Any feedback is appreciated.

evan.oltmanns
10-08-2010, 10:49 PM
Let me first say that I do not own a Garmin product (this is going to change rather soon) or any other fitness watch with both GPS and a foot pod but...

Based on what I have read from DC Rainmaker (http://www.dcrainmaker.com) and some other sources, the BIGGEST reason to have a foot pod (when used in conjunction with a GPS watch) is to allow the watch to function in an area without GPS coverage, such as a forest or indoors on a treadmill. Secondly, when used with a GPS watch, a foot pod can also provide you with your running cadence (number of steps essentially) which a GPS watch by itself cannot do.

DW152
10-09-2010, 05:53 AM
Has anyone evaluated using the Foot Pod and GPS simultaneous? What's the behavior and best practice? Is it stupid to use both simultaneous? Which one conquers? etc... My minimal experience with using the foot pod outside is that I felt it might be a bit inaccurate, saying I went farther, and faster than reality. I haven't calibrated it using the distance method.

I use both. There are three primary benefits from using the footpod:

1) It will measure your cadence or steps per minute.

2) It will provide a better indication of current pace than GPS.

3) If you lose GPS signal (e.g., you run in a tunnel), it will take over the measurement of distance.

minghiatv
11-29-2010, 11:33 PM
Can the foot pod be used in bike mode as well or is it only for running?

julien321
11-30-2010, 04:33 AM
Can the foot pod be used in bike mode as well or is it only for running?

Running only. I have not tried on my bike (I have a Edge 500 anyway) but have tried on stepper, and elliptical (very much like a bike motion) and it didn't give any meaningful cadence info so I'm sure it wouldn't work on a bike.

JCORNMAN
02-03-2011, 02:30 PM
I use both. There are three primary benefits from using the footpod:

1) It will measure your cadence or steps per minute.

2) It will provide a better indication of current pace than GPS.

3) If you lose GPS signal (e.g., you run in a tunnel), it will take over the measurement of distance.

So is that to say the GPS is the default measurement/speed method when both are enabled (outside)?

Hopefully that is the case, because I really only want the foot pod for cadence. Although the whole tunnel thing is pretty cool too. Thanks

MHAANRAADTS
02-23-2012, 01:47 PM
I have a Forerunner 410 and a Garmin Foot Pod. While running the foot pod shows accurate data when GPS is not available, but my Activity history doesn't seem to record the foot pod data as far as distance and avg pace is concerned. I live in NYC and unfortunately GPS reception is spotty here, so I need to rely on both. How can I make this work?

MGIVEN1
02-26-2012, 05:49 PM
I use both on my Garmin 610 and it works very well. You can choose either for a speed source and I always choose the footpod. It give a much more accurate and "real time" display of current pace. Even the best watches will give a 8-10 second delay when using GPS as a speed source, so the Footpod eliminates this. The GPS will still be the source for lap and average pace and mapping functions. If you lose GPS signal the footpod will also take over as the source for everything. The footpod also gives you cadence and step measurements and the ability to use your watch indoors.

doeLauw
03-15-2012, 06:38 AM
If your a Sporttracks user you can look into the FIT devices import plugin. This plugin allows the import of secondary speed sources next to gps.