View Full Version : Heart rate strap not working with USB Garmin stick...????

09-23-2010, 03:58 AM
I just bought this HR strap:

and this USB stick:

I'm using the http://www8.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=3741

and it won't even pair up with the heart rate strap.....

I really just want to read the data live from the heart rate into my computer.. and write a program on top of that.

09-23-2010, 04:12 AM
You have the transmitter but no receiver (watch).

09-23-2010, 04:33 AM
So I guess I thought the USB stick would be the receiver? (I want this on my computer not a watch).

I just want to read the data live from the heart rate monitor (live as in real time). I didn't think I would need the watch...

So then I MUST get a watch ? that doesn't seem to make sense... why require the watch to work as bridge... all the devices conform to the ANT+ protocol

I found this other much more active thread here but it seems that Garmin has locked everything:

I tried those options but if the ANT Agent itself can't even detect the heart rate belt.. I doubt the software people share can :(

09-23-2010, 04:59 AM
So I guess I thought the USB stick would be the receiver? (I want this on my computer not a watch).

The Garmin devices are intended to be used while exercising, and to allow you to monitor your HR (among other things) while out running or biking. That's why you need a watch (such as a Forerunner) or a bike computer (one of their Edge models) that you bring with you, rather than a computer. This is how all similar products work, including those made by Polar, Suunto, Timex, or anyone else. After your activity, the Ant stick is used to transfer the data from the Forerunner or the Edge to the computer for later analysis.

Having said that, I think Suunto used to make a coaching pack that would allow you to monitor several the HR of several athletes on a computer in real time. I don't know much about it or if it's still available, but it might be something that meets your needs. However, this was a fairly specialized system, and probably wasn't cheap.

09-23-2010, 08:50 AM
We don't have a commercial product that supports direct reception of the heart rate monitor by the ant stick.

You should probably look here... there are people doing what you want.

09-29-2010, 04:57 PM
So if I buy a Forerunner watch or w/e product you guys offer.. can I do "real time heart rate" monitoring from the watch to the USB stick? Do you provide an API for that?

Is there someone at Garmin, like a developer we can talk to? It seems like this is in the best interest of Garmin to allow people to build on top of your products...

12-03-2010, 10:48 AM
Suunto has something like you want...its not cheap...but its there. Theres no point of asking here, GARMIN just doesnt do it.