PDA

View Full Version : Foot Pod/Running cadence?

RYZZA78
09-10-2010, 04:24 AM
Does any one know if the running cadence is counting strides on one leg/elite athelets run at 180 steps both legs. My foot pod running cadence says averge 83 running cadence over 7k with 4:50 min k's, should I double that figure to see where Im at or should I try and take an extra 100 steps per minute? :confused::o

DW152
09-10-2010, 06:32 AM
Does any one know if the running cadence is counting strides on one leg/elite athelets run at 180 steps both legs. My foot pod running cadence says averge 83 running cadence over 7k with 4:50 min k's, should I double that figure to see where Im at or should I try and take an extra 100 steps per minute? :confused::o

Because I doubt that you could add 100 steps per minute, I think it's pretty obvious: it counts the steps taken by one leg.

EEAGLE7
09-11-2010, 03:33 PM
I think Garmin is the only one that shows the foot pod cadence this way (they even label it rpm in GTC which is a bit more correct)....everywhere I have looked defines running cadence as steps/minute (each foot being counted). One must double the Garmin cadence to get the correct figure.

In the Garmin online Training Center (TC) it is the same incorrect number even though it is labeled Steps Per Minute SPM.

This error has been mentioned before but somehow it just never gets fixed.

BSTARR67
09-14-2010, 02:18 PM
I think Garmin is the only one that shows the foot pod cadence this way (they even label it rpm in GTC which is a bit more correct)....everywhere I have looked defines running cadence as steps/minute (each foot being counted). One must double the Garmin cadence to get the correct figure.

In the Garmin online Training Center (TC) it is the same incorrect number even though it is labeled Steps Per Minute SPM.

This error has been mentioned before but somehow it just never gets fixed.

You're right, this is a goofy error, as the standard unit of measure is footstrikes, left and right.

The only field where the standard is same-to-same foot is in biomechanical analysis, which has nothing to do with normal usage. For coaching and athletes, it's the total for both feet combined.

... Bob

EKUTTER
09-28-2010, 06:50 PM
I think Garmin is the only one that shows the foot pod cadence this way

Polar does it the same way, counting only the left or right foot strikes. I have actually seen it this way more often than counting every foot strike. It really doesn't matter how it is represented as long as it is consistent within a specific context. Neither is right/wrong. The difference here is so obvious that it seems unlikely most people would get confused.

EEAGLE7
09-29-2010, 09:02 AM
Polar does it the same way, counting only the left or right foot strikes. I have actually seen it this way more often than counting every foot strike. It really doesn't matter how it is represented as long as it is consistent within a specific context. Neither is right/wrong. The difference here is so obvious that it seems unlikely most people would get confused.

I had not realized Polar did it this way too. How is the output labeled? Do they call it Steps per Minute SPM, or Revolutions per Minute RPM.

I think the RPM is more correct if you are counting just the striking of one foot.

I still maintain steps are steps and should include both feet, if it is labeled SPM.

Agree either method is OK, but the label should be correct so you know what the value represents.

PACOROSA_67_2
05-24-2011, 01:04 PM
I had the same question too until I decided to count my step for 1 minute: the foot pod cadence is for just one leg. The right term for this should be strides-per-minute instead of cadence

JIM_TSETSOS
05-27-2011, 06:59 AM

http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2011/03/pegs-posts-foot-podology.html

DARTONP
08-04-2011, 07:59 AM
Think about cadence this way.

If your measuring cadence on a bike then you only count one leg. It would be a bit silly to count both. Garmin are probally keeping both the same to remove confusion when using the bike cadence sensor and foot pod.