PDA

View Full Version : Edge 500 Mount Failure

VELOBOB
08-24-2010, 04:53 PM
So, my Edge 500 died today...kinda....it flew off of the bike mount, and at first I thought that the bike mount had failed. Actually, what happened was that the bottom of the actual Edge 500 failed! The "lips" (which engage the bike mount) on the underside of the Edge 500 broke off, causing it to fly off of the bike mount. I have returned it to the shop where I purchased it, hoping that they can get me some rythym with Garmin to get a replacement....we'll see.

UKBLOKE
08-24-2010, 05:48 PM
I have heard of 3-4 failures exactly like this. Hopefully, it is a bad run of manufacturing rather than an inherent weakness in the design. Garmin should replace these failures under warranty. A friend used a couple of cable ties around the stem and Edge to work around the problem.

TEXMURPHY
08-24-2010, 06:13 PM
It is possible to "half mount" the Edge 500. Meaning that only one of the two tabs engages the mount.
The Edge will appear non-level on the mount. I think such a situation may stress the tabs, especially if there is rough handling to correct the situation.

VELOBOB
08-24-2010, 07:05 PM
BOTH tabs on the underside of the Edge 500 broke off! (It was NOT half-mounted)

RDONSON
08-25-2010, 03:41 AM
This is the second report like this I've seen. It sure sounds like a manufacturing defect that Garmin should make good on.

MATTMCLENNAN
08-25-2010, 04:57 PM
Out of interest, were you using it on the road or on a mountain bike, or a combination of the two. I can imagine it happening (although I wouldnt expect it) if you were constantly bumping over tree roots and rocks, but would be pretty worried it it were only used on the road.

UKBLOKE
08-25-2010, 05:18 PM
The first-hand report I saw was a friend who only rides road and really looks after his kit. It failed within the first month or two, just with regular road riding.

VELOBOB
08-25-2010, 05:49 PM
I use it STRICTLY for road riding; I do exchange it between 2 road bikes...I am meticulous with my bike maintenance. I am a relatively lightweight rider
(140#) and although occasionally rough tarmac is unavoidable, I would hardly say it qualifies as Paris-Roubaix! Preliminary indications are that Garmin is going to warranty it...I will know more in a few days.

GREGG-G
08-31-2010, 01:36 PM
So, my Edge 500 died today...kinda....it flew off of the bike mount, and at first I thought that the bike mount had failed. Actually, what happened was that the bottom of the actual Edge 500 failed! The "lips" (which engage the bike mount) on the underside of the Edge 500 broke off, causing it to fly off of the bike mount. I have returned it to the shop where I purchased it, hoping that they can get me some rythym with Garmin to get a replacement....we'll see.
Add another to the list. My 500 flew off as I was coasting down a bridge. Heard something rattle as I was descending and when I started pedaling again looked down to check my speed and my 500 was gone. Luckily it was very early on Sunday and traffic was light. I was able to find my unit and stuck it in my back pocket. When I got to the start for our group ride I realized I could not re-mount it because both "tabs" had broken and were still in the mount.

Waiting to hear what Garmin support has to offer. Mine was purchased in January and is used on my road race bike, no offroad bikes or use.

CYCLOCOMMUTER
08-31-2010, 10:11 PM
I have heard of 3-4 failures exactly like this. Hopefully, it is a bad run of manufacturing rather than an inherent weakness in the design. Garmin should replace these failures under warranty. A friend used a couple of cable ties around the stem and Edge to work around the problem.

I also hope the problems are due to a bad run/batch. I've had mine since March and have logged almost 6000 kms with no issues. The real test will come in subzero temps in the winter. I know plastic can become brittle in extreme cold so if there is any design weakness I will probably find out.

Incidentally the new Edge 800 uses the same mounts as those of the 500. Since the 800 is bigger and heavier I wonder if broken tab issues will occur more frequently.

UKBLOKE
08-31-2010, 10:24 PM
Incidentally the new Edge 800 uses the same mounts as those of the 500. Since the 800 is bigger and heavier I wonder if broken tab issues will occur more frequently.

I saw this in DC Rainmaker's in-depth review (http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/08/garmin-edge-800-in-depth-first-look.html) comments:

RE: Plastic tabs

Actually, it's a slightly different design. These are screwed into the unit. Though, they take a bit of finagling to get back in the holes - but once in there, it's snug

I think this means that the part that has broken on the Edge 500 is replaceable. Of course that's small consolation when your new Edge 800 falls off the bike, crashes on the pavement and gets run over by a semi! But maybe they've beefed up the tabs too. Maybe these expensive GPS devices should have an additional safety leash? My helmet camera does for example.

VELOBOB
09-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Well, today I picked up my Warranty-replaced Edge 500! Transferred my previous settings (data screen set-ups, user info, etc.) and will take it for it's inaugural cruise tommorrow morning. Garmin to the rescue!
I'm happy; hopefully the mounting tabs on this unit are more stout....time will tell

SPINGINEER
09-03-2010, 10:17 PM
Add another one to the list. Funny how all these just suddenly start to fail. I've had mine since the beginning of the year. Maybe the first set had a batch that fails after 6 months?

Coincidentally, it just had a problem where it wouldn't power on. Even when trying to sync, the software doesn't even recognize the Garmin. Well, at least I have an RMA number, so I will be sending it in. Wonder if I'll get it back by the time I do Knoxville at the end of the month.

SPINGINEER
09-03-2010, 10:21 PM
Well, found out how to get it to power back on ... hit Power/Light, Page/Menu, and Lap/Reset buttons simultaneously. Guess it would help if I read the manual every once in a while?:rolleyes:

SCICOGARMIN
09-13-2010, 01:25 AM
This morning I realized that also mine broke!
One of the rear tabs is cut. The tab remained on the support groove.
Did they change your unit under warranty?

VELOBOB
09-13-2010, 06:40 AM
yes, my unit was replaced under warranty

RACINGHEART
09-13-2010, 03:31 PM
(snip)...I think this means that the part that has broken on the Edge 500 is replaceable...
If it is, it doesn't seem to be listed for purchase as an accessory (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=160&pID=69043#accessoryTab) (such as extra mounting kit w/rubber bands) for the 800 yet. So it might just be an easy way for Garmin to repair them rather than having to swap out with a new/refurb 800 unit. The piece itself might be something akin to the rubber USB cover that tend to fall off and get lost, yet is unavailable for purchase (you need to beg Garmin for a replacement instead. Although someone posted in the 705 forum that Garmin told him that his unit was out of warranty and as such, it would be a $110 replacement. No joke. He decided to use a piece of tape instead).

TEXMURPHY
09-13-2010, 03:47 PM
... for the 800 yet. ... with a new/refurb 800 unit...

Nice to know the 800's mount problems are similar to the 500's mount problems. But are the 800 mounts already breaking?

VELOBOB
09-13-2010, 03:48 PM
pretty certain that this is NOT a replacement part.....it seems to be an integral design feature of the actual case of the Edge 500 Unit. It might make sense to upgrade the case design with an aluminum or stainless insert to strenghten this weak point, but no doubt it would add mfg. costs over the current 100% plastic design

RACINGHEART
09-13-2010, 07:16 PM
Nice to know the 800's mount problems are similar to the 500's mount problems. But are the 800 mounts already breaking?
No, this is all speculative. I think it started out with the photos of the 800 having teeny tiny screws showing from the bottom view, leading to the idea that the mounting piece was replaceable. I would love it if it were though, because I'd buy one just to see whether I could somehow attach (glue or screw?) it to my 705. Then I'd only require one mount on my stem that I could use for both the 705 and 500. But alas, VELOBOB seems to have burst my bubble. :(

VELOBOB
09-13-2010, 07:42 PM
It would probably make too much sense for Garmin to have the same mounting system for multiple devices.

SCICOGARMIN
09-14-2010, 01:17 AM
yes, my unit was replaced under warranty
Has it been replaced by your reseller?

VELOBOB
09-14-2010, 05:49 AM
replaced by Garmin via my local bike shop where I bought it

EJBARNES
09-25-2010, 06:27 AM
I would really like a more permanent mount for the 500. Something with wire ties would be nice. After time the little rubber straps will loose elasticity causing this type of mount to loosen.
The rubber band type mount is also very prone to theft.
The 305/705 mounts had lots of complaints, although if the tab broke off outside of the lock pin, this afforded a little security if the unit was forgotten and left on the bike.
The present mount also allows the unit to roll either on the stem or on the handle bars once the elastic bands start to acquire memory.

I used to buy the 305/705 mounts 5 or 6 at a time, as it is nice to have a mount on each bicycle and the tabs did break quite often.

UKBLOKE
09-25-2010, 09:14 AM
Interesting. Most users seem to really like the new mounts, especially compared to the old. If the bands start to stretch, simply replace them. Garmin provide lots with the Edge 500 and replacements are cheap. Perhaps you don't have them taut enough in the first place? On my stem they are incredibly tight and I can't see it becoming an issue for me in a long time if at all.

As for security the last thing I am worried about is someone stealing the mount! If that happens get a replacement. You are used to this if you were buying them 6 at a time for the 305/705! Someone stealing the unit would suck but it is just as easy for any cycling computer as they all detach easily. In that case just take it with you.

The only things I don't like about the new system is that the unit can rotate if you push buttons on one side without holding the other side, plus some concerns that the tabs on the unit will break as reported by a few users.

VELOBOB
09-25-2010, 12:17 PM
it is not the elastic bands that are a concern....those are replaceable...it is the plastic tabs on the base of the unit that broke off on my unit as well as, to judge from reports here, many other users. When the tabs break off, the unit (unless warranteed by Garmin) is a throwaway....there is no way to secure it to the mount....okay, maybe it can be ziptied, but I'm pretty sure that is not what Garmin had in mind when they designed the unit and the mount.

BRIAN_NYSTROM
09-26-2010, 12:48 PM
...perhaps you've got the bands TOO tight. Are you using more than one band on each hook or something? I haven't had any problems with either movement or breakage on either the road bikes or MTB, including a couple of off-road crashes.

I'm also a bit puzzled by the comment about the mounts being prone to theft. Has anyone actually had a mount stolen from their bike? The things are $10/pair, including a bunch of bands. I can't imagine anyone stealing one.

HAMMOND9705
09-26-2010, 09:27 PM
I don't understand how people are breaking the tabs off of the base of the unit. They seem pretty solid to me. Are you putting your hands on the tops of the bars and accidentally pushing sideways on the unit? I love the new mount and don't want a change.

VELOBOB
09-26-2010, 09:52 PM
my tabs broke off simply by using the unit as it is designed; to be rotated off of the mount as needed to use on a 2nd bike. I reject the premise that "user abuse" led to the tabs breaking off. There is a design/material flaw here, one which Garmin needs to (if they haven't already) address.

SCICOGARMIN
09-27-2010, 01:09 AM
my tabs broke off simply by using the unit as it is designed; to be rotated off of the mount as needed to use on a 2nd bike. I reject the premise that "user abuse" led to the tabs breaking off. There is a design/material flaw here, one which Garmin needs to (if they haven't already) address.
Mine too. That's the real weakness. Maybe only for a lot of production, who knows. :confused:

BRIAN_NYSTROM
09-27-2010, 08:43 AM
Are you talking about the tabs on the mount for the bands or the tabs on the back of the Edge 500?

SCICOGARMIN
09-27-2010, 08:59 AM
On the back

VELOBOB
09-27-2010, 10:12 AM
the tabs on the base of the actual Edge 500 Unit....NOT the tabs on the mount...those have not been a problem in my case

BRIAN_NYSTROM
09-28-2010, 12:51 PM
OK, that makes more sense. Again I've had no problems, but obviously, that's a much more serious issue. One thing I wonder about is if it has anything to do with the way the mount is attached to the bike. If it's wrapped around a small diameter and/or tied too tightly, it would flex and put additional stress on the tabs on the Edge, which could lead to breakage.

SCICOGARMIN
10-19-2010, 09:25 AM
I sent my edge under warranty to the dealer for the described problem....I still don't have it back after 4 weeks!! :mad::mad:
Garmin????

VELOBOB
10-19-2010, 09:35 AM
I'd suggest you put some heat on your dealer....I had mine back (actually a new replacement unit) within 2 weeks

SCICOGARMIN
10-19-2010, 09:36 AM
Done. He told me that he's waiting for the new one from Garmin...

SCICOGARMIN
10-27-2010, 02:44 AM
I'm very disappointed :mad:
The reseller yesterday, after more than 5 weeks, answer me that Garmin refused the replacement under warranty and If I want the Edge replaced I have to pay 92 plus 10 for shipping.
He attached the communication from Garmin where I read that the 'Fault Code' is F52 and 'Fault Description' is aesthetic problem
What???

And 10 minutes ago Garmin answer me that in my case the fiscal receipt was missing!

But why they refused as aesthetic problem? Why the reseller didn't send the fiscal receipt with the edge to Garmin?

JAMESFIFIELD
11-23-2010, 05:29 PM
A similar situation has happened to me on the weekend: both tabs have failed on the back of the unit.

What is the procedure for warranty claims in the UK, is it the same as in the US?

VELOBOB
11-23-2010, 05:33 PM
do not know about "procedure"....I just took mine back to the bike shop from which I purchased it....they did the legwork for me and got a new replacement from Garmin

JAMESFIFIELD
11-23-2010, 09:07 PM
Thanks Velobob, I'll drop it into my LBS and see what they say. Fingers crossed it can be resolved quickly as I love mine. Until it breaks anyway...

CENTO-UNO
06-07-2011, 04:57 PM
Include me on the list of broken bracket,,Mine broke yesterday while riding on flat,it seems that the lip of the bracket cannot handle vibrations or some pot holes and bumbs,I was really dissapointed of the plastic quality that garmin used.the very sad thing was,my warranty just expired last month so Im keeping a useless but functional (program wise) unit..I hope we can address this issues to garmin especially that more and more consumers are encountering this problem,,

PRCBRYCE01!
06-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Hi Garmin and Forum, please add me to the list of lip failures. Rode to work yesterday morning, I found that when I went to remove the Garmin 500 unit from its mount, I had one broken lip on the mounting lugs of the unit itself. I know that I'm always very diligent in removing the unit, so as indicated in the thread above, maybe there is a fault with the unit mounting system and stress over time. Unfortunately, attempts to repair with glue or stronger bonding mechanisms were unsuccessful. This morning I contacted Garmin Australia and was given a quote of nearly $200 (due to the my warranty being expired!). I discussed this with the very helpful lady at Garmin, and she explained that they don't actually repair the units in Australia, but would replace the unit fully. Surfing the net has so far been unsuccessful in trying to identify sellers of the replacement parts. So its a dilemma now whether to do the following:
1. Go for the replacement unit;
2. Keep using the unit until the second lip breaks;
3. Mount the unit some way until the second lip breaks, (which will have to accommodate recharging and uploading of data and transferring between bikes).
As indicated in the thread, Garmin needs to look at this area to rectify the problem and ensure reliability for future users. I have been extremely happy with my Garmin up till now, so lets hope they can correct the design to provide improved reliability and/or provide a design that doesn't require the user to have to throw the unit away when there is no lips available for mounting.

DANLAVELLE1
06-08-2011, 03:02 PM
Add me to the list of failures as well.

Unfortunately, after consulting with my LBS, Garmin is charging me $90 to repair the unit because it is out of warranty. Incredibly dissapointing that I can be charged to repair something that is not a result of wear n' tear or user error, but of a manufacturing defect. I bought the unit a year ago and took the utmost care of it. Warranty or not, the consumer should never be liable for a manufacturing defect.

You'd think that with this many failures, Garmin would have a best practice to replace these units for free. Instead, the impetus is on consumers to pay nearly 40% of the retail cost to have a working Edge 500.

Very dissapointed.

CENTO-UNO
06-09-2011, 04:41 PM
just wondering if theres a way we can address this issues to garmin?,wishing that someone from garmin is reading this forum and find out their product defects..

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
06-09-2011, 04:53 PM
In most countries goods sold have to be fit for purpose. Check your consumer legislation and you may find you will be able to pursue a claim that way. Surprising how a letter citing relevant legislation works.

The onus is still on you to prove the failure was due to a fault in the design and not the way you used it.

UKBLOKE
06-09-2011, 05:01 PM
just wondering if theres a way we can address this issues to garmin?,wishing that someone from garmin is reading this forum and find out their product defects..

You should report through the normal Garmin support channels (eg. "contact support" from the support page of their web site). Perhaps if Garmin get enough support calls they will recognize this as a manufacturing or design issue.

This forum is mostly for community help with some occasional (and very welcome) help from Garmin support staff. I also hope that Garmin engineers peruse this forum from time to time to get direct feedback from users of their products. But these forums do not appear to be an official support channel.

DANLAVELLE1
06-09-2011, 07:13 PM
Update:

I filed a Garmin Support ticket and heard back from a Customer Service Rep, who informed me that Garmin CAN replace my unit under warranty.

I also alerted them to this thread, just as a heads up :)

CENTO-UNO
06-10-2011, 10:39 AM
I will report mine as well,the more bracket issues heard from us the more chance of getting garmin's attention..

CYCLOCOMMUTER
06-18-2011, 05:58 PM
Add me to the list as well. I noticed the 500 was slightly skewed after having coffee right after a ride. I righted it but it felt loose and that's when I checked and found out one of the two tabs broke and was left embedded in the mounting. Got my Garmin March of last year... I hope it is still under warranty.

ZXTIM
06-21-2011, 12:04 PM
Another failure. A lug broke off today. Can't say i've been heavy handed. Love the edge but this takes the edge off it a bit!

BRIAN_NYSTROM
06-23-2011, 05:01 AM
I have to wonder what's actually causing these failures, as they're obviously not universal and the lugs on the 500 appear to be plenty thick enough. I suspect that what's going on is that the mounts are being installed on small diameter surfaces and/or with bands that are too tight, resulting in the mount being flexed to the point that it puts extra stress on the lugs on the 500. I use mine on five different bikes, with mounts on both bars and stems, and haven't had any problems.

TEXMURPHY
06-23-2011, 07:57 AM
I believe it is possible to mis-mount the Edge 500 so only a single tab is locked in the mount. The other tab is not locked and in this case the 500 will sit a little crooked. When this happens additional stress on the tabs could cause failure - especially if the manufacturing is not perfect.

I have once mis-mounted my Edge 500, and it was a little harder to turn to dis-mount then otherwise. Since then I have always been careful on mounting the Edge 500.

CENTO-UNO
06-23-2011, 09:16 PM
wait for another 6 months then we'll see if your unit still fine,,Im so very careful and meticulous in terms of bike gadgets and stuff but Im not so lucky to get the first batch of defective plastic quality,on the other hand Im in Luck to get a warranty replacement for free,Just FYI garmin is aware already about the issues,they just sent new replacement assuming within warranty period..

I have to wonder what's actually causing these failures, as they're obviously not universal and the lugs on the 500 appear to be plenty thick enough. I suspect that what's going on is that the mounts are being installed on small diameter surfaces and/or with bands that are too tight, resulting in the mount being flexed to the point that it puts extra stress on the lugs on the 500. I use mine on five different bikes, with mounts on both bars and stems, and haven't had any problems.

CYCLOCOMMUTER
06-24-2011, 05:34 PM
wait for another 6 months then we'll see if your unit still fine,,Im so very careful and meticulous in terms of bike gadgets and stuff but Im not so lucky to get the first batch of defective plastic quality,on the other hand Im in Luck to get a warranty replacement for free,Just FYI garmin is aware already about the issues,they just sent new replacement assuming within warranty period..

This. I was careful with my unit too... stem size is not narrow as mentioned above. I have already contacted Garmin and was told to contact a local outlet regarding the warranty. The problem is I'm not sure if I will still get a replacement now that my unit got lost on my last ride. I tied it up after the mounting broke prior to this last ride but it fell off.

CENTO-UNO
06-24-2011, 11:57 PM
sorry to hear this,,the good new is you can buy it now so cheap,,around $190,,:)

This. I was careful with my unit too... stem size is not narrow as mentioned above. I have already contacted Garmin and was told to contact a local outlet regarding the warranty. The problem is I'm not sure if I will still get a replacement now that my unit got lost on my last ride. I tied it up after the mounting broke prior to this last ride but it fell off.

BHUFFMAN1930
06-26-2011, 06:25 PM
Add me to the list. My Edge fell off my road bike today. :mad:

Found one tab there and one in the mount on my mountain bike. Since mine's more than a year old (purchased Feb 10) I'm guessin Garmin isn't going to be very helpful but stranger things have happened so I'll keep a positive outlook. Self adhesive Velcro is my mount of choice for the moment. Submitted a help ticket and will post exactly what they reply.

For those that got theirs "fixed" did they fix your unit or give you a refurbished one?

CENTO-UNO
06-27-2011, 05:31 PM
my replacement unit looks brand new when came in,it still has the peel off sticker but no original box and accesories so I assumed its a refurb..BTW garmin reconsidered my two months expired warranty,they might do the same on your case,,good luck,,

Add me to the list. My Edge fell off my road bike today. :mad:

Found one tab there and one in the mount on my mountain bike. Since mine's more than a year old (purchased Feb 10) I'm guessin Garmin isn't going to be very helpful but stranger things have happened so I'll keep a positive outlook. Self adhesive Velcro is my mount of choice for the moment. Submitted a help ticket and will post exactly what they reply.

For those that got theirs "fixed" did they fix your unit or give you a refurbished one?

BHUFFMAN1930
06-28-2011, 01:22 PM
So after 2 days I get a form letter from Garmin addressing my question concerning my broken tabs. To sum it up, the opening of the letter says and I quote, "I am happy to help you with this. If the resets and update do not fix the issue, it sounds like your unit will need to be exchanged." Ya figure!

So how many users here tried resets & updates to fix their broken tabs?

The form letter goes on to say if the above suggestions don't work then there is a flat repair charge of $89 and that includes return ground shipping. That's OK with me as they have to pay staff, overhead, etc. and I don't expect free since it's out of warranty. What does irk me is their total lack of any real addressing of this issue. Any Garmin employees cruising your forum willing to chime in on the issue?

As for me, I'm trying to machine a thin metal plate to bond to the bottom of the unit. Will post photos when I'm done. For now, $2 of self adhesive Velcro has me going again.

ZXTIM
08-21-2011, 05:48 AM
Another failure. A lug broke off today. Can't say i've been heavy handed. Love the edge but this takes the edge off it a bit!

Garmin came up trumps and replaced the unit at no cost. Happy again

TZCHANDLER
11-24-2011, 01:45 PM
After almost two years of weekly road rides I noticed that one of the two bottom tabs broke off. I've ask Garmin how to fix it. Considering all the incidents posted on this forum this is definitely a engineering weakness of the Garmin 500 mount. I hope Garmin's support comes through for me.

ROBERTDAINES
11-25-2011, 06:59 AM
How many miles do you have on the unit? Keep us posted with what Garmin's response is. But I think I can guess, "perform a hard reset." :D

PETENEWING
01-05-2012, 12:10 AM
Same issue for m,e.
My unit is 18 months old and one lug broke off last week, this does look like a design flaw

UKBLOKE
01-09-2012, 02:34 PM
I've heard of quite a few of these failures, and seen on a ride - a friend's 500 launched off his bike just riding along, and I nearly hit it. Garmin are not admitting a design defect, and it is not clear that they have redesigned anything either for the 500. It seems that they will cover it under warranty, but outside warranty they are doing a trade-in where you get a new one, and get a refund for returning the old broken one. I think my friend was out-of-pocket for about $50 or so. Maybe you can do better than this by persisting with their support.

RDONSON
01-09-2012, 05:55 PM
It sounds more like a material or manufacturing defect than a design defect.

ULTIMATEBUCKLEY
01-23-2012, 11:21 PM
Unfortunately, I have to add to this list but with a difference. I friend and I were on a decent and we heard the crack stopped to see if something broke. We found a broken tab still in the mount and my Garmin 500 [6months old] nowhere to be seen. We spent 2 hours looking for it and I have gone back still looking for it with no luck. What are the odds I can send back the broken tab to Garmin?

DAMIENERAP
03-10-2012, 10:26 AM
Add another one to the list. Just over 2 years service and the tabs broke off today.

LEGENDARY27
03-13-2012, 09:38 AM
Same here. Just under two years (of careful) use and tabs broke. Call raised with Garmin. Not holding my breath !

Regards,
Gordon

LEGENDARY27
03-26-2012, 12:24 PM
Apologies to Garmin for my cynicism. I e-mailed support, who gave me an address to post my faulty unit to. Five days later a new Edge has appeared - no charge.

Perhaps not the most cost-effective business model, but thanks to Garmin all the same.

Regards,
Gordon

JEDITIMBOB
03-29-2012, 03:15 AM
One tab on my Edge 500 just came off today. I noticed the unit was sitting askew in the mount, and when I touched it to straighten it the unit popped off in my hand. Managed to pick up the remnants of the tab off the road... may have to try some industrial glue to put it back on for now... pretty sure my warranty is up.

ALORENZEN_DE
03-30-2012, 01:38 AM
One tab on my Edge 500 just came off today. I noticed the unit was sitting askew in the mount, and when I touched it to straighten it the unit popped off in my hand. Managed to pick up the remnants of the tab off the road... may have to try some industrial glue to put it back on for now... pretty sure my warranty is up.

Even off warranty you may like to contact Garmin. Minimum you will get a good offer for replacement, maybe more.
When you like to try repair it yourself I wouldn't recommend an std industrial glue, instead use a two-component adhesive.

DAMIENERAP
03-30-2012, 06:49 AM
Apologies to Garmin for my cynicism. I e-mailed support, who gave me an address to post my faulty unit to. Five days later a new Edge has appeared - no charge.

Perhaps not the most cost-effective business model, but thanks to Garmin all the same.

Regards,
Gordon

Me too, I was deeply concerned about my chances of any resolution having frequented these forums for a while. However, Garmin customer services requested I return the unit and I was given a replacement. Many thanks for a speedy resolution go to Garmin.
Darren

JOHNMIOSH
04-24-2012, 04:38 AM
Mine failed in February this year, 25 months old and out of warranty. I was worried by the chat on this forum, but tried Garmin Support. They confirmed it was a warranty issue, sent me a box to return the unit in (asking me to retain the cables mounts manuals etc.)

Three days later I received a brand new boxed unit, with more mounts, cables etc.

Can't fault the customer service.

CHRISHEDLEY007
04-28-2012, 07:57 PM
Mine just failed yesterday. I was taking the computer off the bike to upload the ride. 18 months old. I always thought it was a strange mount design. I do hope Garmin will replace the unit when I contact them on Monday.

CHRISHEDLEY007
05-01-2012, 10:41 PM
Just thought I'd update the thread with what's happened. Sadly, I spoke to Anna yesterday - a very rude Garmin customer service person who insisted that this was going to cost me $159 to replace. When I said I was disappointed the device failed after only 18 months she started shouting (yes shouting) that Garmin doesn't give "freebees" and that I should make my mind up about what I wanted to do! I asked her for an email address so I could escalate, and the one that she gave me went straight to her to respond - with which she gave me exactly the same response(see below)!!!! I honestly do not take kindly to be treated like a fool - I have bought an extremely expensive product & I expect an appropriate level of support whether it is in or out of warranty. I certainly don't expect to be patronised or bullied.

Garmin - your level of support is appalling - you must not care what your customers think of you. I know you are trying to make a sale but your top end product has just broken on me after only 18 months and you won't accept responsibility? The problem is with you.

Let me explain what will now happen:
1. I will jerry-rig up a mount for the device so it will sorta work. This will of course be a talking point for everyone I bump into - I will of course explain why I have had to do this.
2. I will tell everyone I know about my experience, and publish the conversation in the Manly-Warringah and North Sydney club newsletters and websites for them to consider as part of a Garmin purchase. Not because I have a problem with you, but because they are my friends and I don't want them to spend $400 on a cycle computer that only last 18 months and then be treated like I have been

You cannot seriously think I am ever going to buy or recommend buying something from you ever again, can you?!!

Just for the record here is the transcript of the email conversation (in reverse time order of course). Depressing really.

Hi Chris,

WARRANTY does not apply to physical damage caused by accident/s, abuse, misuse, cracked screens, water, flood, fire, or other acts of nature or external causes

If your item is out of warranty the fixed rate repair is $159 GST inclusive with a 90 day warranty. Quote is valid for 14 days from issue and may change without notice.

Anna T

Product Support Specialist

GARMIN AUSTRALASIA | FOLLOW THE LEADER

UNIT 19, 167 PROSPECT HIGHWAY, SEVEN HILLS NSW 2147

P: 1800 011 551 F: 02 9838 8619 W: WWW.GARMIN.COM

Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 4:24 PM
To: Tauheluhelu, Anna
Subject: FW: Broken Garmin Edge 500

Anna T

Sent: Monday, April 30, 2012 10:31 AM
To: Australasia Support
Subject: Broken Garmin Edge 500

Hi,

I was disconnecting my Edge 500 on Saturday when one of the tabs that affix it to the mount broke off. This unit has been very well looked after and has never been in a crash. There was no force on the unit - the plastic simply just snapped as I turned the device in the mount. This of course means that the unit is useless as I can't mount it on my bike.

I bought the unit in September 2010 so it is about 7 months out of warranty. I just spoke to Anna at the support desk who quoted me a replacement fee of $150. This surprised me as there is a fair amount of comment on the Garmin forums around this subject (https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=11539) and elsewhere. Up to now Garmin seems to have taken the approach of replacing the device, whether it is in warranty or not. This appears to be quite clearly a flaw with the design of the mount and it breaks for many customers..

I would be very grateful if you could let me know if Garmin is willing to replace this device. I attach a couple of pictures.

thanks,

Chris

MADDSKILLZ
05-07-2012, 10:41 AM
Mine just broke off after two years of use and no crashes. The device itself works fine but I guess it's out of warranty now. I sure hope I don't have to replace the whole thing due to this? :(

MADDSKILLZ
05-07-2012, 10:56 AM
It's unfortunate that normal use breaks the device after time. The normal act of twisting on and off the device from the mount is costing me $89 plus an additional charge of $17 for two-day shipping.

Not really sure why I'm paying for this other than I need the device and Garmin has my back against the wall here. :confused:

VMANTZAR
05-22-2012, 12:03 AM
Hi All

I am planning in purchasing a new Garmin Edge 500 in Black/Red colour and not the usual Blue/White colour version. Does anyone know if the issue with dodgy mount still aplies for the 2012 production and is also applicable to to the Black/Red version?

All of you that have the same mount issue do you use the Blue/White Edge 500 version??
Also does anyone use it for MTB and AM or only for road-cycling?

Thanks a lot

STEVEMONO
05-22-2012, 03:42 PM
Hi All

I am planning in purchasing a new Garmin Edge 500 in Black/Red colour and not the usual Blue/White colour version. Does anyone know if the issue with dodgy mount still aplies for the 2012 production and is also applicable to to the Black/Red version?

All of you that have the same mount issue do you use the Blue/White Edge 500 version??
Also does anyone use it for MTB and AM or only for road-cycling?

Thanks a lot

Hi vmantzar, I can only speak for myself and I believe that the mount problem becomes obvious much later but I have the red/black version purchased late last year when they first become available in Oz. As yet I haven't had an issue with the mount........

Steve

VMANTZAR
05-22-2012, 03:47 PM
Thanks Steve, I just bought it for my MTB, fingers crossed now. I am using for the moment the rubber bands, maybe later on I attach it with some cable ties, will see

Guarantee is for 2 years at least

STEVEMONO
05-22-2012, 05:15 PM
Yes of course, we are covered for 2 years. After that there will probably be something new to buy:)

VMANTZAR
05-22-2012, 11:05 PM
Yes of course, we are covered for 2 years. After that there will probably be something new to buy:)

That was my thinking exactly !

CHRISHEDLEY007
05-28-2012, 12:22 AM
GARMIN AUSTRALASIA CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Thought I would document my appalling experience with Garmin Australasia Customer Service here. This is part of an ongoing email conversation where they refuse to answer questions, or escalate within the organisation.

Hi Darren,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure quite how to reply as you appear to have entirely ignored my mail below so I will simply repeat the questions in bullet form. I will of course be copying all documentation, and of course any non-replies to both your forums, and to my local cycle clubs.

1. Why is your position inconsistent. Your own forums document many situations where this problem has occurred and you have replaced the device. Why you make one rule for one customer and a different rule for another?

2. Please can you escalate this to the States as I am not satisfied with the response I have received so far. I am requesting a documented position from the Head office.

You can contact me on XXXXXXXXX.

Chris Hedley

To: Chris Hedley <chrishedley@yahoo.com>
Sent: Monday, 28 May 2012, 15:18
Subject: Re: Broken Garmin Edge 500 (KMM25201096I15977L0KM)

Dear Chris Hedley,
Thank you for your reply.

Chris, your issue is not a flaw in the device as we sell 1000s of these unit without any issue but if your unit is still within warranty we will be more then happy to replace if for you.

With kind regards,
Darren F
Garmin Australasia Support Specialist
Additional solutions may be found at http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/support/searchsupport

Original Message Follows: ------------------------

Hi Darren,

Thank you for your reply. As my mail clearly states I am not asking for a warranty replacement.

I have contacted you because the device mount has a design flaw which results in the tabs breaking on the device and meaning it can't be used. This is a situation which your forums clearly have documented and where Garmin have replaced devices that have experienced this failure.

This is a $400 device which I bought new, is in mint condition and now can't use after 18 months. And you want another $159!

To rub salt in the wound your position is inconsistent and I can't understand why you make one rule for one customer and a different rule for another. Particularly for such an expensive device.

I simply can't express just how disappointed I am with Garmin, your customer service, and your attitude to this problem. This is the second time I've asked for an escalation and it has been ignored.

Please can you escalate this to the States as I am not satisfied with the response I have received so far. I am requesting a documented position from the Head office. I will be copying all documentation, and of course any non-replies to both your forums, and to my local cycle clubs.

You can contact me on XXXXXXXXX.

Chris Hedley

To: Chris Hedley <chrishedley@yahoo.com>
Sent: Wednesday, 23 May 2012, 14:53
Subject: Re: Broken Garmin Edge 500 (KMM25139816I15977L0KM)

Dear Chris Hedley,

Thank you for contacting Garmin Australasia Support. My name is Darren.

Chris, I have raised your issue with our supervisor and he as stated
that the damage to your unit is not covered under warranty and if you
would like us to replace your unit you will need to pay AUD$159.00(inc
GST) as quoted by Anna.

If you would like to proceed with obtaining the replacement please
contact the Garmin support team on 1800 235 822 and provide payment.

Case Number: 110315062

With kind regards,

Darren F
Garmin Australasia Support Specialist

Additional solutions may be found at http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/support/searchsupport

Original Message Follows: ------------------------

Hi,

I hope you can help. My Garmin Edge 500 has broken, and it is just out
of warranty. This appears to be quite a common problem but the
australian support person (Anna) refused to recognise this and insisted
I pay for a new device. This appears to be out of step with the
experience of other customers (see URL below). I asked her for a email
so I could escalate this - the email seems to have gone directly to Anna
who has just replied with the same message, not escalated it, or given
me any method to voice my disappointment for what is otherwise an
excellent product.

I am hoping this finds someone who can assist, as I can't seem to talk
to anyone without being left feeling bullied and disappointed.

thanks,

Chris

From: Australasia Support <Australasia.Support@garmin.com>
To: chrishedley@yahoo.com
Sent: Wednesday, 2 May 2012, 9:33
Subject: RE: Broken Garmin Edge 500

Hi Chris,

WARRANTY does not apply to physical damage caused by accident/s, abuse,
misuse, cracked screens, water, flood, fire, or other acts of nature or
external causes

If your item is out of warranty the fixed rate repair is $159 GST
inclusive with a 90 day warranty. Quote is valid for 14 days from issue
and may change without notice.

Anna T

Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 4:24 PM
To: Tauheluhelu, Anna
Subject: FW: Broken Garmin Edge 500

Anna T

Sent: Monday, April 30, 2012 10:31 AM
To: Australasia Support
Subject: Broken Garmin Edge 500

Hi,

I was disconnecting my Edge 500 on Saturday when one of the tabs that
affix it to the mount broke off. This unit has been very well looked
after and has never been in a crash. There was no force on the unit -
the plastic simply just snapped as I turned the device in the mount.
This of course means that the unit is useless as I can't mount it on my
bike.

I bought the unit in September 2010 so it is about 7 months out of
warranty. I just spoke to Anna at the support desk who quoted me a
replacement fee of $150. This surprised me as there is a fair amount of
comment on the Garmin forums around this subject
(https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=11539) and elsewhere. Up to
now Garmin seems to have taken the approach of replacing the device,
whether it is in warranty or not. This appears to be quite clearly a
flaw with the design of the mount and it breaks for many customers..

I would be very grateful if you could let me know if Garmin is willing
to replace this device. I attach a couple of pictures.

thanks,

Chris

DENNDILLA
07-07-2012, 08:52 AM
+1 over here. Lost it today on the road, both tabs broken off.
Problem is that my device is out of warranty as it was purchased over two years ago. Hope something will still come out of it. Don't want to spend another 170 for a new unit.

WYMTHG
08-14-2012, 12:21 PM
Add another, mine bounced off my bikeand i did not even notice for a mile, so had to go searching for it.

Has anybody had any luck getting the back replaced if the item is out of warranty?to be honest i think Garmin should fix for warranty and out of warrnty devices as it looks like a common issue!

VILI42
08-15-2012, 04:30 AM
Another one here. Mine is out of warranty too :-(

KEVIN724
08-18-2012, 11:07 AM
Went to put my edge back on after taking it off to clean the bike and the tabs were broken off and stuck in the mount.

MICHELE.VERDA
08-21-2012, 04:34 AM
A few days ago it happened also to me, broken mount.
I just sent a request to the Italian technical support and now I'm waiting for their response.

BRIAN_NYSTROM
08-29-2012, 10:47 AM
As for me, I'm trying to machine a thin metal plate to bond to the bottom of the unit.
I did something similar for a Polar unit and it worked well. BTW, if you think Garmin is bad to deal with, try Polar sometime! They seriously suck!

FARRO4069
09-08-2012, 11:41 PM
This happened to mine yesterday - though only one tab. The unit was purchased from Wiggle just over 2 years ago (May 2010) so outside of warranty. My previous experience with Garmin Australasia is that they won't honour the warranty on purchases from Wiggle - weird but true.
From comments here this looks like either a design fault or a bad manufacturing batch. Either way it needs to be remedied by Garmin.

OWLSKI
09-11-2012, 05:38 PM
This also happened to me a couple of months ago: the unit bobbled off the mount and was nearly lost on the road. When I checked, both tabs were broken/worn off. Garmin (USA) was very good about replacing the unit with an identical model. Now the replacement unit has lost one of the tabs and it's only a matter of time until the second tab breaks. Does anyone know if this is a usage problem? I use the mount just about every day to upload my ride data to my Garmin Connect account. Does daily use of the mount cause the tabs to wear out? It looks like wear rather than breakage since the edge is smooth and not jagged. Getting frustrated with this second failure.

JWILDMD
10-18-2012, 07:26 PM
Add another to the list about 20 months old - one of the tabs broke off the back. This has always been used on the road only. I take care each and every time I mount and dismount the unit.

I wonder how many people have this problem and don't report it on the forums...

BRIAN_NYSTROM
10-28-2012, 07:08 AM
This also happened to me a couple of months ago: the unit bobbled off the mount and was nearly lost on the road. When I checked, both tabs were broken/worn off. Garmin (USA) was very good about replacing the unit with an identical model. Now the replacement unit has lost one of the tabs and it's only a matter of time until the second tab breaks. Does anyone know if this is a usage problem? I use the mount just about every day to upload my ride data to my Garmin Connect account. Does daily use of the mount cause the tabs to wear out? It looks like wear rather than breakage since the edge is smooth and not jagged. Getting frustrated with this second failure.

As I mentioned previously, I think this is caused by over-stressing the mount when installing it. One easy way to check this is to set a flat-surfaced object on the mount after installing it and check whether the top surface of the mount is flat, or if it has been distorted. For example, if the mount is forced to bend around a narrow bar or stem, it will put extra stress on the mounting tabs.

There are multiple companies offering alternative mounts for Garmin units that clamp to the handlebar. These will eliminate mount-related problems, if that's what's causing these tab failures.

FLIERBOY
10-29-2012, 01:02 PM
Based on the number of reports I think it is obviously nether a design flaw or bad batch. It is simply the engineering. They needed to insure the tabs last more than the warranty period but also keep the materials as cheap as possible. Apparently the message here is check your tabs! And when they break, good luck.

DICKIEKNEE
12-07-2012, 10:16 PM
+1 and out of warranty ...
This happened to me too. And Garmin Australia pretend they have never heard of the problem and offer to replace with a refurbished unit for many $'s.
No way was Garmin going to get any more money out of me for what is basically a faulty product.
My solution: Hot glued the unit into the bike mount and take it on & off the bike using the mounts rubber bands.
Use this solution and tell everyone about the problem and what you had to do!!

SIDDY72
12-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Add another to this list...Garmin UK wanted 70 to repair the case of a unit just a month out of warranty. I'm always meticulous with my gear, seems pretty obvious that the design is flawed. Bad show that Garmin won't fix their rubbish design F.O.C.

ABUDHABICHRIS
12-12-2012, 10:49 AM
And me... my unit is just under 2 years old, which seems to be a common feature of these broken tabs.

Clearly it's the life of the plastic - we can't all be mistreating our units in the same way to cause similar failure at a similar stage.

I have contacted Garmin support and will see what response I get.

I find this sort of thing very annoying. An expensive piece of kit fails because of the cheapest most low-tech part. I had the same thing recently with a Brooks saddle, although to be fair they were excellent about replacing it.

TEXMURPHY
12-12-2012, 02:53 PM
Where is the plastic part on a Brooks saddle? Brooks is all low-tech.

ECONPROF
12-16-2012, 06:26 PM
Is there any way to examine my unit for warning signs of an imminent failure, like stress cracks?

GOTTARIDETODAY
01-01-2013, 03:10 PM
As I mentioned previously, I think this is caused by over-stressing the mount when installing it. One easy way to check this is to set a flat-surfaced object on the mount after installing it and check whether the top surface of the mount is flat, or if it has been distorted. For example, if the mount is forced to bend around a narrow bar or stem, it will put extra stress on the mounting tabs.

There are multiple companies offering alternative mounts for Garmin units that clamp to the handlebar. These will eliminate mount-related problems, if that's what's causing these tab failures.

I would be interested to know how many mount failures are associated w/ handle bar vs stem mounts. For those following this thread who have experienced a mount failure please provide this information:

Handlebar or Stem; if stem: please specify manufacturer (ritchey, 3T, FSA, etc); please tell us if the stem surface is flat (squared off) or rounded.

Have there been any failures with the "out front mounts" like Bar fly or K-Edge?

Thanks!

GOTTARIDETODAY
01-13-2013, 12:28 PM
I am still looking for folks to share data on the mount failure issue. I received 1 reply last week of a failure w/ the BarFly mount. However, like others, this occured following use w/ the 1/4 turn stem/handle bar mount. I suspect there are many confounding situations where users started w/ the "stock mounts" and switched to after-market "out-front" mounts. We probably need to distinguish between these 2 different groups if we want to know failure rates by each of the mounting technologies. So far I have been pleases w/ the K-Edge mount, although I am still using the stem mount on my CX bike. My Richey Pro 4-axis stem has a flat surface that appears to support the Edge nicely. Time will tell, however.

PUERTODRUMMER
01-22-2013, 07:47 PM
Okay I found this thread because the same thing happened to my Garmin 500. As of last week I didn't see any solutions, so I made my own. All you need is a (X-acto Knife) and Krazy Glue. With the blade, I mitered the base of the Garmin to have to "L" shaped groves where once there was a Tab sticking out (see Attached Picture) . Then I cut two plastic tabs from a tape dispenser and with the help of a craft blade (X-acto Knife) I shaped these to look like a finger nail cutting. I glued these to the base (make sure that the "L" cut outs are deep enough to accommodate the new tabs without sticking higher than the base. After glue dried, I shape the grove that locks the Garmin in place after the quarter turn. I've been using it for a week of hard training going over railroad track, pot holes, etc. and so far it seems to be fixed for good.

DBOSLER
01-24-2013, 02:22 PM
I think I've found an easy fix the Edge 500 tabs problem. Take one of the bike mounts and cut out the center with an x-acto knife. Drill a whole in the center of it and super glue it to the Edge 500, with the whole you drill over the sensor . It seems very secure and it's a good fit.

DBOSLER
01-24-2013, 02:33 PM
Here's a picture of the previous post.

JWILDMD
02-03-2013, 02:53 PM
I love it... almost 2.5 years of posts in this forum documenting this issue and no official response / design change from Garmin. I just had my second Edge500 tab break off. That's two units, both within 2 years of owning them with the same exact problem. I am obsessive about making sure the Garmin is fully seated before the 1/4 turn and still this is a problem. This is frustrating as hell.

GOTTARIDETODAY
02-05-2013, 05:41 AM
What kind of mount are you using, Garmin, K-edge, Bar-fly???

WINDERA
02-05-2013, 11:24 AM
Garmin might not thank me for posting this, but I had the same issue and Garmin in the UK have just replaced my back. They initially said 70, but after I pointed out the unreasonableness of this (for all the above reasons) they agreed to do it as a goodwill gesture. I have to say that I am very happy with this customer service experience and will continue to use and recomend Garmin!!!!

THE_WELSH_EWOK
02-07-2013, 08:28 PM
I phoned Garmin in September last year and was told it'd cost me 70 to repair the damaged tabs on the back of my device and that they'd never heard of such problems. I also told them about this very thread on their website but still they played dumb.
I had a go at fixing my 500 using fibre glass on a number of occasions but with no success, so I sent an email request for repair on Sunday 5th February expecting to be charged. Not long after I received an email telling me to box up my device and send it to them, which I did, I'm now in possession of what seems to be a brand new unit or at least casing with a 4 day turn around!
If anyone has had the tabs break away from their device, send in a repair request through the website, I got more sense from that than speaking to their support staff.

ABUDHABICHRIS
03-12-2013, 07:36 AM
Same thing has happened to me and I have been very poorly treated by Garmin. I'm currently looking at other systems and will try my best never to use them again.

The tabs broke, as with many of the descriptions here, using a stem mount after about two and a half years.

But I live and ride in the UAE so I contacted Garmin and was told it had to go back to the UK headquarters, and was quoted 70 pounds to replace it, which I had to pay before they even booked it in.

Our post and delivery system is not user-friendly so I had to pay another 40 pounds for a courier to send it to the UK. They replaced the unit and then sent it back, but because they put the full retail value of the unit on the shipping forms I had to pay another 30 pounds in duties.

So, I get what appears to be a new unit back. But it will no longer pair with the Speed/Cadence sensor.

I follow the troubleshooting instructions with no luck. I try it on the sensor on my second bike. No luck. Both sensors were working perfectly prior to sending it away.

Now, call me crazy but that looks like a fault with the unit. However Garmin insist it is a fault with the sensors which has suddenly and miraculously coincided with the repair, and if I think otherwise then I have to, guess what, send it all back to them again at my cost for them to consider whether it would be repaired under the warranty. So that would be 210 pounds in total, or more than the value of a new unit.

Oh and to rub salt into the wound, all the mucking about with sensors loosened the mount which went into my Campag Eurus wheel and it is now being repaired.

Garming now has an ex-customer who is busily telling everyone he knows about their poor products and worse service.

SERIALGRILLER
03-15-2013, 07:53 AM
When I first looked at my Edge 500 I was disappointed to find a rubberband type mount on such an expensive unit.I've been cycling for over 30 years and have had cycling computers that cost far less than the Edge that have far more secure bike mounts ( clamp type with a screw to secure it and the unit snaps securely in place).
The rubber band mount is cheap!!! Garmin needs to go back to the drawing board .It's not rocket technology!

GOTTARIDETODAY
03-16-2013, 04:32 PM
I switched up to the K-edge and have been very pleased so far.

SPEEDYVELO
03-30-2013, 10:10 PM
Broken tabs.
9 month after I bough the edge 500 the tabs broke. I contact Garmin and they replace it with a refurbished unit. The new unit button did not work so I have to send it back for another unit.
20 days after the warranty expired (1 year + 20 days) the tabs broke again.
This is a major design problem. I worked full time so I only use the bike on weekends. I am very careful when I remove the edge 500 twice a week. Because the holder that came with the Garmin (stem mount with rubber bands) is not very stable when you press the buttons I got a new k-edge. Well still the tabs broke.
I may try to fix.
For an expensive piece of equipment this design flaw is not acceptable. Garmin should (1) replace the button of the unit when tabs brake even if it is not under warranty (2) redesign those holding tabs. Well it seems they are not doing either.
Shame!, a great produc with a very limited life span becasue of a poorly design retention system

SPEEDYVELO
04-20-2013, 07:59 PM
I fixed the broken tab using the tip in

http://fastfreddyfour.blogspot.com/2012/07/repairing-garmin-edge-500.html

So far ( a month later) working great.

DJCONNEL
04-30-2013, 05:32 PM
I had tabs break on a third unit. One time Garmin charged me $50 to replace it, but two other times they swapped it for free. The unit described in this blog post is being replaced now (in the mail):

http://djconnel.blogspot.com/2013/04/garmin-edge-500-broken-tabs.html

DR_MUTLEY
05-15-2013, 09:08 PM
Just had this happen to a 5 week old Edge 510. Both mounting tabs broken off, one still in the mount. Unit destroyed as it was run over by a car after it came free!

BGAV
05-19-2013, 07:46 PM
Tabs broke on my 2 week old 510 today after hitting a bump. I had the unit tethered after reading about these failures, so fortunately no further damage occurred. I just emailed Garmin support for a RMA.

I don't have a lot of faith that it won't happen again with a new unit.

FANYLION
06-19-2013, 03:11 AM
After 19 months of use the tabs broke/snapped on my Edge 200 whilst being installed on the bike. Ok, the unit can now be bought for 83 but Garmin want 52 repair of which I find totally unaceptable! Garmin should replace all units FOC if this happens and get their act together in sorting this bloody design fault/issue out!

DR_MUTLEY
06-19-2013, 07:11 AM
After 19 months of use the tabs broke/snapped on my Edge 200 whilst being installed on the bike. Ok, the unit can now be bought for 83 but Garmin want 52 repair of which I find totally unaceptable! Garmin should replace all units FOC if this happens and get their act together in sorting this bloody design fault/issue out!

Broken tabs.
9 month after I bough the edge 500 the tabs broke. I contact Garmin and they replace it with a refurbished unit. The new unit button did not work so I have to send it back for another unit.
20 days after the warranty expired (1 year + 20 days) the tabs broke again.
This is a major design problem. I worked full time so I only use the bike on weekends. I am very careful when I remove the edge 500 twice a week. Because the holder that came with the Garmin (stem mount with rubber bands) is not very stable when you press the buttons I got a new k-edge. Well still the tabs broke.
I may try to fix.
For an expensive piece of equipment this design flaw is not acceptable. Garmin should (1) replace the button of the unit when tabs brake even if it is not under warranty (2) redesign those holding tabs. Well it seems they are not doing either.
Shame!, a great produc with a very limited life span becasue of a poorly design retention system

There are 2 cheap fixes for your unit...
1) apply epoxy to the broken tab area and let harden. Then fashion the shape of the missing tab out of the epoxy with a dremel. Many people have used this method successfully.

2)
Buy one of these Garmin 705 to quarter turn mount adaptors for $5:
http://www.wiggle.com.au/sram-quickview-computer-mount-adaptor/

File off the 705 mount and drill a hole in the middle to allow air flow to the altimeter. File down the base of the broken Garmin into a flat surface. Epoxy the modified adaptor to the broken Garmin and allow to set.

VELOSOPHIE
09-25-2013, 09:32 AM
I just noticed the left tab on my edge 500 just broke. It is mounted on a garmin mount on the stem (specialized 70mm - rounded). I did a Cx race last Saturday so maybe it created some stress... But my unit is ~3 years old. I guess I will try the cheap fix...

DOUGLAGE@GMAIL.COM
10-07-2013, 08:56 PM
Has this problem been fixed yet? I too just suffered some broken 'tabs' and got an email from GARMIN saying "we'll replace it for $90"......................well that's great and all but has the design changed or been fixed? Am I too be expected to shell out $90 every time this happens?

What gives Garmin?

DR_MUTLEY
10-07-2013, 09:49 PM
Has this problem been fixed yet? I too just suffered some broken 'tabs' and got an email from GARMIN saying "we'll replace it for $90"......................well that's great and all but has the design changed or been fixed? Am I too be expected to shell out $90 every time this happens?

What gives Garmin?

If its in warranty it should be free... If not go one of the 2 options above...

DEEPAKVRAO
10-19-2013, 09:52 PM
1) apply epoxy to the broken tab area and let harden. Then fashion the shape of the missing tab out of the epoxy with a dremel. Many people have used this method successfully.

2)

File off the 705 mount and drill a hole in the middle to allow air flow to the altimeter. File down the base of the broken Garmin into a flat surface. Epoxy the modified adaptor to the broken Garmin and allow to set.

Had a crash, and Garmin flew off. Both mounts broken. Live in India, and sending to US/Taiwan is an expensive proposition, as well as I get charged duty when it comes back [stupid but that's the way it is].

So want to know, which holes are for altimeter? According to DC Rainmaker, the holes which are not on the mount are for altimeter?

DR_MUTLEY
10-19-2013, 11:05 PM
The centrally located holes

STRONGBERT
10-20-2013, 12:44 AM
Had a crash, and Garmin flew off. Both mounts broken. Live in India, and sending to US/Taiwan is an expensive proposition, as well as I get charged duty when it comes back [stupid but that's the way it is].

So want to know, which holes are for altimeter? According to DC Rainmaker, the holes which are not on the mount are for altimeter?

DC is correct, the altimeter holes are not on the Garmins mount, the central holes on the mount are for sound. The altimeter holes are the ones within the blue square on the photo, above and to the right of the mount.

DR_MUTLEY's 2nd idea for repairing the mount looks good, the SRAM adapter seems to be made of a less brittle plastic than the Garmins mount, obviously keep the central holes clear or you may reduce the sound level, and take care not to remove too much plastic from the Garmin's mount or you could damage the speaker situated below.

DEEPAKVRAO
10-20-2013, 01:22 AM
DC is correct, the altimeter holes are not on the Garmins mount, the central holes on the mount are for sound. The altimeter holes are the ones within the blue square on the photo, above and to the right of the mount.

DR_MUTLEY's 2nd idea for repairing the mount looks good, the SRAM adapter seems to be made of a less brittle plastic than the Garmins mount, obviously keep the central holes clear or you may reduce the sound level, and take care not to remove too much plastic from the Garmin's mount or you could damage the speaker situated below.

Thanks. I too think that the central holes are not for barometric monitoring. I think they get completely covered when mounted on the regular mount.

Will try this repair and get back.

DEEPAKVRAO
11-05-2013, 07:53 PM

2)

Thanks so much for the link.

Fixed my Garmin. Stupid thing is that I poked the speaker holes trying to clear the small amount of glue on one of them, and now the beep is lost.

https://picasaweb.google.com/100422603599725674036/GarminRepair#

DR_MUTLEY
11-05-2013, 09:09 PM
Even a better fix than the 2 methods above I mentioned is a CNC replacement lugs assembly made by this very clever chap on a local site AdelaideCyclists

http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/photo/albums/garmin-500-fix

Sounds like he might be selling them so any stuck with a useless garmin, hit him up and see if he can help...

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a239/wootah/null_zps6da70031.png

DEEPAKVRAO
11-05-2013, 09:14 PM
Wow, that is nice.

THEO_PENTAL
12-17-2013, 02:51 AM
Add me to the list

UK customer, unit 2 1/2 years old but always mounted carefully

Just gone out for a cold ride, gently mounted Edge 500 and kapow - snapped tab/lug

Questions:

1) Did they change the design or materials for later versions of the 500?
2) Do the 800 and 810 have this problem?
3) Have Garmin ever commented on this issue?

cheers :(

MOTORICKER
12-19-2013, 02:13 PM
I have noticed that aftermarket mounts grip the edge much tighter than the garmin OEM mount. I think that must put extra stress on the tabs.
My tabs broke off last year, and Garmin sold me a "refurbished" unit replacement at a pretty reasonable cost.

I took a dremel to my barfly 2.0 mount and strategically abraded down the material of the mount until unti it holds the Edge very lightly, probable evem more lightly than the OEM mount, but it still feels secure enough for road riding.

One workaround that I used for a while was to just buy one of these and epoxy it to the back of the Edge unit. It works perfectly, but the Edge will stand about 3/8" higher in the mount.
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/SRAM-QUICKVIEW-GARMIN-GPS-COMPUTER-ADAPTER-QUARTER-TURN-LOCK-FOR-605-705-MODELS-/00/s/MTYwMFgxNjAw/z/i4kAAOxydyxSODo4/$(KGrHqZ,!lgFIf2wK+mNBSODo4UyWQ~~60_35.JPG

SRAM Qucikview mount adapter
It restores the broken tabs on the back.

GSHOUSLAY
01-21-2014, 01:44 AM
Seems to be very common problem. My heart rate monitor stopped first after being very erratic and after changing batteries. Then one tab broke off and now this week the other one broke while I was cycling and not touching it and down the road it went. My fix is a Sigma ROX 10. What great product and picks up satellites in seconds. Garmin your product is flawed in my view.

HOTSHOD
03-11-2014, 03:47 AM
https://picasaweb.google.com/100422603599725674036/GarminRepair#

Deepak Rao...

Like so many if not ALL Garmin tab failures it is because the Garmin mounts place too pressure on the tabs. It is clearly obvious when I see your photos and they display the tell tale signs of the mount asserting pressure on the Edge body, IE. 1st photo shows the scuffing.

SOLUTION
Now to anyone owning a Garmin 500 prevention is better than any repair, and that prevention is to place the mount upside down on 150 grit emery paper on a flat surface and gradually make the mount top thinner. This is best done by hand and rotate in circles one way then back the other way, with only slight ,even pressure, testing Edge fit in the mount after every 4 or 5 rotations..... until the Edge is almost effortless to install until the tabs engage with a defined click. ...... Done , this will take 5 to 10 min and a bit of patience. But worthwhile.

The Out Front mount needs more modifying, and is a worse design than the original mount as it places even more pressure on the Edges tabs.
You have to remove the mount from the centre ( small hex key ) and make 2 very small, small washers so the mount centre is lifted up and sits proud of the O F mount....... then test the mount and sand the mount centre down as above....... Engaging and turning the Edge thru 90 degrees should have almost NO DRAG, before clicking into place.

Good luck with this , but I have to say after 4 years Garmin should have fixed this obvious problem.

P.S. ...... I have found the SRAM Quick View is the best mount for not placing pressure on the Edge tabs,..... and the new BarFly is the worst. I have busted 2 sets of tabs , 1 on the Garmin Out Front and 1 on the new BarFly........ before doing my mount modifications.

Cheers