PDA

View Full Version : Error installing map update on Nuvi 250

HELENABENNETT
08-24-2010, 01:57 AM
Hi,

I have just purchased from Garmin the nüMaps Lifetime™ Europe and tried to update my Nuvi 250. The update successfully does steps 1 and 2 - Downloading and preparing maps but I get the following error when it starts step 3 Installing Maps. "An unexpected error has occurred and the program must close. If you continue to experience this, please contact Garmin customer support." Can anyone help me - going on holidays at the end of the week and really need the sat nav. When I turn it on now it says "No detailed maps found that support routing. The nuvi cannot be used without them". I would be happy to just revert to my old maps without update just to get it working again!

Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks,
Helena

LIPKOWIT
08-24-2010, 10:32 AM
Please try running the update again, and if it fails again can you please send the log file ~/Library/Logs/Garmin/GarminMapUpdate.log to Mac.MapUpdate@garmin.com?

JIMGARMIN4U
10-30-2010, 08:05 AM
Hi,

I have just purchased from Garmin and tried installing City Navigator North America NT 2011. The update successfully does steps 1 and 2 - Downloading and preparing maps but I get the following error when it starts step 3 Installing Maps. "An unexpected error has occurred and the program must close. If you continue to experience this, please contact Garmin customer support.". When I click ok, the program terminates. I tried restarting the system and running the update atleast five times. Each times this happens. In MyGarmin site, it shows "City Navigator North America NT 2011.20" in installed maps but in device it still shows 2010.

Any help in resolving this issue would really be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jimmy Varghese

RSCHWIETZ
10-30-2010, 02:33 PM
Ditto for me. Exact same error when trying to update the maps on my nuvi 1350

LIPKOWIT
11-01-2010, 09:59 AM
Can you please send the log file ~/Library/Logs/Garmin/GarminMapUpdate.log to Mac.MapUpdate@garmin.com? This will help me determine what is going wrong.

SLICHTEN626
12-27-2010, 12:24 AM
I encountered this same problem updating on a new Garmin 1350LMT. The first two steps completed (downloading and preparing) but the third step quit with the same error message as was described by the other posters. I tried another map update but when I noticed it was starting over downloading the 1.2 GB file again, I had to quit the download as I wasn't going to be able to monitor it over the next 60-90 minutes.

Has some resolution been reached yet on this issue? I would send in the log file as suggested except it appears to have been overwritten by the latest update attempt which I stopped when it started to download again.

I am willing to try again but would like to see what the resolution on others with similar problems was first, because one poster ended up with a non-functional device when this problem happened and I don't want that to happen.

LIPKOWIT
12-27-2010, 08:59 AM
SLICHTEN626,

I tried looking up your log from the first run but it isn't in our database. Can you please run the updater again and let me know the results?

If it fails again I'll see if I can determine what is going wrong by looking at the log information.

SLICHTEN626
12-27-2010, 01:59 PM
The failure I experienced was Dec 25, and the download was roughly between 10pm and 11pm California time. I first downloaded Garmin Map Updater 4.1.2, then ran it to download the large map update file (> 1 GB).

I can certainly try the map update again, will need to wait until I have several hours available when I can stay and watch. Do you think there is a significant risk of something like this disabling the unit completely? (The issue I had caused the update to fail but it at least did not disable the unit.)

LIPKOWIT
12-28-2010, 08:52 AM
Without knowing more information about the specific error that occurred I don't know how much risk there is in disabling the device. If you would like to contact Garmin Customer Support over the phone they can walk you through the steps and assist you if it fails again.

Phone numbers available here: http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/cache/offonce/us/support/supportcontact;jsessionid=E93CA29A8A5474F48EB04F52 5022A0F4

If you would like to try it again on your own I can try to figure out what happened if it fails again.

LINDADULMES
01-02-2011, 08:19 AM
I received the Garmin 1450 LMT as a gift. Before using I tried the map update last night. The first time it quit after an hour. The second try went like this: the download started at 8:39 PM CT and it was still doing the download at 11:00 PM when I went to bed! This morning the error message was Garmin Map update Quit unexpectedly". It never got to the second step. Oh, yes, it also said I didn't have enough memory to do the US + PR, so I chose the East. How do we do map updates if their is not enough memory? Thanks for the help.

SLICHTEN626
01-03-2011, 12:44 PM
Without knowing more information about the specific error that occurred I don't know how much risk there is in disabling the device. If you would like to contact Garmin Customer Support over the phone they can walk you through the steps and assist you if it fails again.

Phone numbers available here: http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/cache/offonce/us/support/supportcontact;jsessionid=E93CA29A8A5474F48EB04F52 5022A0F4

If you would like to try it again on your own I can try to figure out what happened if it fails again.

Just an update on my situation, I was the person with the Garmin 1350LMT and in my first try for updating the maps, the map updating utility had completed steps 1 and 2 (downloading the new map updates, preparing the new map updates to install) and then the program quit as it started step 3 (installing the map updates).

I just repeated the entire process including the download and this time all three steps completed successfully.

Thanks in any case for the offers of assistance.

I'm speculating but perhaps the long download process (file is 2 GB) is prone to brief interruptions in connecting to the Garmin server that could lead to an error. The first time I was working from a location with 5 Mb/s broadband connection on a busy holiday when presumably lots of people were doing the same thing and the Garmin server was hard to connect to at times, but the second time (today) I did it from a location with 100 Mb/s connection on a "quieter" day/time and it went smoothly. I also shut down all other programs on my computer during the process, as precaution.

WANLY_S
02-23-2011, 04:02 AM
Here is my experience on the topic.

None of the workarounds suggested by the support page FAQs worked for me. Regardless what I've tried, I always ended up getting the "unexpected error..." message, just before the map download stage.
After several attempts I ended up browsing the log file in "C:\Documents and Settings\Your_User_Name\Application Data\GARMIN\Map Update" and soon discovered that Garmin Map Update v2.5.17 was trying to authenticate with my proxy. I Closed the Map Update app (consider closing other apps that might also be open), bypassed the proxy and tried again. This time everything went smooth.

Hope this could help the rest of you.