PDA

View Full Version : WARNING: nuvi 1490 & not enough space for latest map update

DAGWARE
08-20-2010, 06:51 PM
I just bought a nuvi 1490T, and when I tried to update the maps (US) with the free map update, it failed. After spending a lot of time with support, it turned out the nuvi didn't have enough available space to install the update. The tech had me delete some language files, and then it installed OK.

I'm posting this just to document it, and hopefully help keep someone else from the trouble I had.

Dan

PS: I'm going to cross-post this in both forums, because it's relevant to both Windows and Mac users. Please don't shoot me for cross-posting! :D

CORTIG
11-16-2010, 08:27 AM
I've had the same issue and figures out myself you need to delete some localized content to be able to install the updates.
The price of flash memory droppped significantly in the past few years. I find it sad that they ship these units with a far too limited available space :-\

Corentin

APHMITCHELL
12-19-2010, 05:22 PM
I just bought a nuvi 1490T, and when I tried to update the maps (US) with the free map update, it failed. After spending a lot of time with support, it turned out the nuvi didn't have enough available space to install the update. The tech had me delete some language files, and then it installed OK.

I'm posting this just to document it, and hopefully help keep someone else from the trouble I had.

Dan

PS: I'm going to cross-post this in both forums, because it's relevant to both Windows and Mac users. Please don't shoot me for cross-posting! :D

Hello,

Ok I had this problem and delete some languages. I bought a 16GB card that lives in the sat nav now.

Can somebody please tell me how I can make my sat nav use this space. I have tried moving everything onto it but on restart the sat nav makes a new folder "Garmin" and "GPX" (on the sat nav hard drive.)

How can i utilize the now 16GB space to make the sat nav run from this?

D.CHIN
04-13-2011, 09:50 AM
Hi APHMITCHELL,

This should work for you

Mac OSX
Insert the SD card into your nuvi
Connect the nuvi to your Mac
Open Finder
Click Applications
Double-click Garmin MapInstall
Click Continue
Click Find Device
Click on the Drop Down Arrow
Select the blank microSD/SD card
Click Continue
Highlight the maps you do not yet have on the nuvi
Click Send Maps
Follow the onscreen instructions.
The maps will now be sent to the microSD/SD card.
Done.

APHMITCHELL
06-18-2011, 05:16 PM
Hi APHMITCHELL,

This should work for you

Mac OSX
Insert the SD card into your nuvi
Connect the nuvi to your Mac
Open Finder
Click Applications
Double-click Garmin MapInstall
Click Continue
Click Find Device
Click on the Drop Down Arrow
Select the blank microSD/SD card
Click Continue
Highlight the maps you do not yet have on the nuvi
Click Send Maps
Follow the onscreen instructions.
The maps will now be sent to the microSD/SD card.
Done.

Thanks for the input I'll give that a go :)

RENERIEGAL
07-02-2011, 06:16 AM
I have a Nuvi 1490T.

I have a North America preloaded on the device.

I have an Australia map loaded on a 8GB card.

When I try to download a map I just bought from Garmin to my SD card it says that a file with that name already exists, over write?

So can more than one map be loaded on a SD card or does it have to be blank?

Will MapInstall help? If so, how do you get the download to the computer so that MapInstall can transfer to the SD card?

Thanks.

WJBERTRAND
07-26-2011, 04:14 PM
Try downloading the maps to your computer only first. Then use mapinstall to select and install whatever maps you want on the SD card. When Mapinstall recognizes your unit there should be drop down box that lets you select the SD card instead of the unit.

mberrey
10-15-2011, 12:26 PM

Dan

Newbie here - can you tell me how I go about deleting voices, vehicles and other non-essential stuff so I can create enough room on my nuvi 1490T to update my maps. Thanks

DSHANKS
11-21-2011, 09:50 AM
I have a 1490t which would not update due to space using the lifetime updater. It updated fine using the Garmin servers. I did clean up all of the non-english flotsam from the GPS as well as misc archives to make space but updating from Garmin's servers rather than using lifetime updater worked fine.

It was interesting that using the lifetime updater I was given the option to load a different zone yet none of the zones presented had enough space either. This fact led me to the fix.

It appears that the lifetime updater needs to see the total available space before it overwrites the maps that are already on the GPS. The on-line servers takes the overwrite size into account duing its calculation process. This may be something that Garmin should look at to make the lifetime updater useful. Just a suggestion

GLEWIS1943
12-17-2011, 09:43 AM
What is the process for deleting the non essential voice languages, please? I have a NUVI 1350. Thank you.

terre08
01-01-2012, 11:49 PM
What is the process for deleting the non essential voice languages, please? I have a NUVI 1350. Thank you.

I have the 1490 and once you connect it to a PC it shows up as an extra hard drive and there is a folder called voices. I removed every language except for English by just deleting the language files and that worked for my device.

WALDO617211
01-14-2012, 09:50 AM
there is also a bunch of extra files in the help folder that could go!!

N4HHE
02-17-2012, 07:39 PM
BTDT, no SD card maps showing on 1490LMT.

Loaded 2012.40 and some old converted Topo 3.0 maps, about 3.5 GB worth. GPS still says only 2012.20 is installed but does recognize the Topo maps (which I had previously installed with 2012.20).

BTW, Garmin sure could rethink the Mac Garmin Mapinstall app. Two hours on a 2.6 GHz Mac Pro for a mere couple of GB of map data? One CPU is pegged at 100% the whole time but only about 100 kB/sec of data being read from HD. OTOH Base Camp is very multi-CPU aware as it pegs all 4 at 100% for many seconds when the app launches.

LWILKINSON
03-28-2012, 04:20 AM
Win 7 platform connected to 1390 : I also deleted some voices and update was able to proceed. ( did save the other voices and may copy them back). I also had to pull down most recent version of updater - the older version went merrily along indicating it was updating, but doing nothing. Thanks for the prior posts - helped me.

06-04-2013, 02:53 PM

Dan

Just get a micro sd card. Garmin supports up to 8 gig. I got an 8 gig sdhc micro card and it worked perfectly. Just put the card in your nuvi and download whatever maps you want. Simple

SUSSAMB
06-04-2013, 02:56 PM
Welcome to the forum. Note though that you're replying to a post more than a year old :)

colleen5501
09-16-2013, 01:06 PM
I own a NUVI 1490 and had success with deleting files last year but now the problem continues for the 2013 update. Anyone else having same problem? I don't think I can delete anymore files. Frustrating to purchase with lifetime updates and have this problem every year.

SUSSAMB
09-16-2013, 03:11 PM
Well it's probably time to install a memory card then :)

STUARTMW
09-16-2013, 03:20 PM
Yeah I suspect that the "Lower 49" won't fit on my 1490T much longer. 2014.20 was a squeeze. I've been splitting the maps between the unit and a SD card for years now anyway so no biggie.

02-25-2014, 06:50 AM
nuvi 1490 here, tried updating last night via the link you provided (maps on computer only), this morning the status shows over 1.6 million hours remaining for download, i'm thinking we'll be teleporting ourselves around by then =) I also put an 8gb micro sd in the unit. I'm wishing i had left it alone now, it was working fine for what i do.

question, can i stop the download and keep the previous version of the maps?

Thanks in advance, PC illiterate

02-25-2014, 08:31 AM
Well, i'm not sure how i did it, the maps loaded and i'm down the road. Regarding the data removal for more space, i see there are a bunch of files in the archives folder, can those be removed?

Thanks again

STUARTMW
02-25-2014, 08:34 AM
i see there are a bunch of files in the archives folder, can those be removed?

Yes, you can safely delete those .gpx files. They're archived trip logs.

03-06-2014, 09:38 AM
New to this so apologies if this question has been answered on this thread (skimmed through but did not find what I was looking for)
Map update (using Garmin Express) last year reported insufficient space (even after removing unnecessary files) so I bought an SD card and updated to SD card. Great - left plenty of space on the 1490 for POIs etc.
Latest update it updated to the Garmin memory and deleted maps on SD card. Now there is so little space left on the 1490 I'm unable to install additional POIs.
I have asked Support for advice but nothing useful forthcoming (even spent some time looking for the updated maps in the Garmin folder - found them afterwards in Maps).
Tried deleting the map img file and re-installing, but still installed to device rather than SD card.
I have now downloaded the maps to my laptop as it takes an hour or two every time I try to do this update.
Any advice on how to force an update to the SD card?
Thanks

SUSSAMB
03-06-2014, 09:41 AM
Yes, fill the GPS with some large files so Express thinks it's full, also renaming the map file in Map to *.xyz would probably do it, or use GarminMapUpdater for PC (http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe)

Incidentally the maps would normally be in the .system folder :confused:

03-06-2014, 10:10 AM
Whilst awaiting a reply the same thought occurred to me.
I in fact renamed the file on the GPS (it was in the Maps folder) gmapupdate.img.old and used Garmin Express to re-install.
The map is now on the SD card and so I have deleted the .old file leaving over 3GB free on the GPS unit.
Before updating next time I'll find a suitably large file and copy over.

I think GarminExpress could do with an update to enable the save location of the update to be selected?
Never had these problems with my TomTom :rolleyes:

SUSSAMB
03-06-2014, 10:14 AM
I bet you had other issues with your TT though :)

But yes, I agree, it would seem sensible to allow users to choose where to put the map. Unfortunately I don't think any of the Express team read these forums.

STUARTMW
03-06-2014, 10:56 AM
Unfortunately I don't think any of the Express team read these forums.

Well MR_NAT (https://forums.garmin.com/member.php?28375-MR_NAT), who seems to be on the GE team, logged in yesterday.

SUSSAMB
03-06-2014, 11:05 AM
Yes, we saw a few early posts from him, but he seems to have been quiet on Express lately, I wonder if like Falagar moving off the Basecamp team he's moved off the Express team :confused:

STUARTMW
03-06-2014, 11:15 AM
I wonder if like Falagar moving off the Basecamp team he's moved off the Express team :confused:

Dunno. That kind of information is way above my paygrade (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Above_my_paygrade) (of $0.00 per annum) :D

SUSSAMB
03-06-2014, 11:40 AM
Mine too .... Although my Army and NHS pension are a tad more than 0.00 :)