PDA

View Full Version : Foretrex 401 SW update failed - unit now bricked

DRICK
08-07-2010, 11:28 PM
tried to update 401 via mygarmin, install appeared to finish, unit powered off, but never reset / turned back on.

i powered it back on, and it's now is stuck at bootloader with error messge "software missing".

mygarmin webpage now will not do SW updates, and pushed me to web updater utility (this is new, unit used to update via mygarmin). web updater utility claims upgrade file is corrupted.

grrrrr :mad:

DRICK
08-08-2010, 09:16 AM
one other thing, the unit beeps for 5 second solid when it comes up and the error message hits right away.

DRICK
08-08-2010, 09:20 AM
fyi, i already tried resetting the unit per users guide (hit page and up arrow), it doesn't help same behavior

DRICK
08-08-2010, 09:24 AM
finally, sw ver 2.2 is thermostatically "installed" this all happened trying to upgrade to 2.3

DRICK
08-13-2010, 01:59 PM
tried to update 401 via mygarmin, install appeared to finish, unit powered off, but never reset / turned back on.

i powered it back on, and it's now is stuck at bootloader with error messge "software missing".

mygarmin webpage now will not do SW updates, and pushed me to web updater utility (this is new, unit used to update via mygarmin). web updater utility claims upgrade file is corrupted.

grrrrr :mad:

so i've been going back and forth with garmin support on this for the last week, and there response is "gee, sorry about that why don't you pay to ship the unit to us, then pay $80 to have us fix it even though our SW update process is what bricked the unit".

sometimes Garmin support is really good, other times they just flat out don't get it.