PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used the 310xt quick release?

FRISWIZ
08-20-2009, 03:18 PM
I do triathlons and was interested in the quick release. I was on slowtwitch and saw what the unit looked like and how it was to be used. It was a bit unclear so I'm asking if anyone has tried it? It appears you have to replace the original band with a new one (which has a twist quick release feature). I assume you then swim with it, then snap the watch body off the wrist strap, mount it to the mount on the bike and then twist it back off the bike and onto your wrist to run with? I'm not so sure all of that is worth it. Thanks for your help.

KANSAIBEN
08-20-2009, 04:04 PM
Yes, I've got it and it is basically as you describe. I've also seen the post on Slowtwitch, or at least one of them. I also had the quick release for the 305 and will say that this one is better in a number of ways. 1, it is a slimmer profile. 2. The connection to the bike mount is much more solid. 3. And the twisting action allows a much easier release than the 305 version.

Will add wearing the QR strap will give your unit a little higher profile on your wrist than the standard strap (may be a problem for folks who already think the unit is a little thick). I don't like swimming with the 310 on my wrist so much, and the higher profile adds to this, but, what I can do very easily now is just wear the head unit under a swim cap--so net result an improvement for me because I get GPS track during the swim and don't have to deal with the strap.

The QR strap, much like on the 305 version will allow a better fit for the small wristed.

I'm not too much of a fan of the "locking" tab on the strap of the QR version either. The standard strap really holds secure with that little metal clip, the little plastic end of the QR strap not so much. Watch doesn't come off, I just get annoyed when it pops out of the retaining ring. Not sure if that's clear.

Lastly, in the post I read on ST there were some users who doubted or had problems with the pins on the strap being able to hold the unit securely in place. I've had my own concerns initially, but it's held up so far (and I had similar worries on the 305 setup and never had a problem). Will note, however, that the QR strap came with a different set of pins than the standard strap uses. Those definitely need to be used.

LISAFOX16
08-20-2009, 04:26 PM
I also use the QR with my 310 and am a big fan. I don't compete in triathlons but do a lot of "brick" workouts, cycling and then finishing off with a run. This makes the transition from the bike to the run effortless. Jump off the bike twist the unit off the bike mount, and twist it onto the wrist strap. I personally haven't had any issues with the closure system of the strap. Yes it does sit slightly higher off the wrist than with the standard strap, but not by a huge amount.

SAEEDI
08-20-2009, 04:50 PM
The picture for the Quick release kit is missing on the Garmin site (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=30292) and I'm unable to find it on the ST site. Any hints?

KANSAIBEN
08-20-2009, 04:56 PM
ST here means slowtwitch.com and not the usual sporttracks. Here's one post with a pic, which I found with a search, but isn't the one I was referring to in my post (or I might be muddled in my memories about what was posted re problems with the pins):
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/cgi-bin/gforum.cgi?post=2422828;search_string=310%20quick% 20release;guest=69942935&t=search_engine#2422828

SAEEDI
08-20-2009, 05:00 PM
Thanks Anthony. I wonder why Garmin is slow to show pictures of this accessory?

KANSAIBEN
08-20-2009, 05:03 PM
Not sure, could be limited release/quantity perhaps. Believe it was the same initially with the QR system for the fr305s. FWIW the system is nice to pick up even just to use the bike mount which works really well.

NDURANCERIDER
08-20-2009, 05:43 PM
I'll mention that I like the Quick Release wrist strap better than the one that came on the 310 itself. I have small wrists and the QR strap fits me so much better. And I mount the "bike" mount part on my horse's saddle. :D

April

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
08-20-2009, 08:45 PM
Didn't have any different pins with our QR kits so used the pins from the original strap. Not encountered any problems so far.

Not too keen on the higher profile on the QR. We have heard that the 405 bike mount works well with the 310. Ordered a couple of those - they're not too expensive, to see what they look/work like

LISAFOX16
08-21-2009, 01:11 AM
We have heard that the 405 bike mount works well with the 310. Ordered a couple of those - they're not too expensive, to see what they look/work like

Yes prior to using the QR I used the 405 bike mount and it does work well. The one big advantage of the QR is speed. It used to take me a fair amount of time to do up the strap underneath the bike mount. It was "fiddly" inbetween the brakes, looking underneath. The QR is just a case of a twist and the is unit on. A couple of seconds at most. If you are competing with the 310, in my opinion, this is the one to go for.

FRISWIZ
08-26-2009, 10:21 PM
Thank you all for the posts. I have to admit I was not gong to buy it but it sounds like it will be worth the investment. I'll practice pulling the band off and wearing the unit under my cap so I can quickly mount it to the bike and then to my wrist. Thanks again everyone!!

NASTUART
08-28-2009, 08:27 PM
i have not been able to locate where to purchase the quick release kit for the new 310xt (i love the old one from my 305 and am rather irked that Garmin didn't design for re-use!) Can anyone direct me to a good place to buy?

SEILOGRAMP
08-29-2009, 07:41 AM
Should be able to purchase it here (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=30292).

DW152
08-29-2009, 09:12 AM
i have not been able to locate where to purchase the quick release kit for the new 310xt

I just did a google search for "quick release forerunner 310xt," which returned several places to buy. holabirdsports.com had it for about $22.

MATTHEWHARRISON
03-12-2010, 09:12 AM
I can't really tell how the quick release will mount on the bike. I assume it is designed to mount on the handlebars, but I'm wondering if it would be possible to mount on the aero bars. Would the watch be turned sideways if I did this, or can it be adjusted for either orientation?

-Matt

WORMSCOFFER
03-12-2010, 09:44 AM
I purchased mine through eBay at a good price and postage to France was reasonable and very quick - completely satisfied.

OK, so it's a few extra mm high on the wrist but hardly noticable once your used to the bulk of the unit anyway.

Handlebar mount uses a couple of tie straps and has a screw that you can loosen to turn it through 90deg to allow mounting on transverse and longitudinal tubes so plently of options.

Losing the straps is also a bonus as it's easier to throw it in your pocket or rest on the desk.

Andrew

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
03-12-2010, 10:25 PM
There looks to be a new modified version out soon which will use the existing wristband.

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=6232

JAYHSUTTON
03-13-2010, 03:41 PM
I've got the 310xt quick release and bike mount kits. I love them. Very easy to use and practically idiot proof. You just grasp the 310xt in your hand, twist 45 degrees and it pops off. Put the 310xt in the bike mount, twist 45 degrees, and it is locked in place. I've never had it accidentially come loose after 4 months heavy use.

Regarding mounting on the bike - it's a standard type of mount like you would for any other bike computer. It's designed to fit on a round bar or semi-round bar. One person asked whether it would mount on the aero bar. I can't speak to that, but i use a tri-bike with a water bottle mounted between the aero bars. It has a extra mount for a bike computer built into it - and it works amazing on the tri-bike. You sit so much more foward in the aero position - and the water bottle mount allows you to mount the 310xt (or any other computer) much more forward. Easy water access and easy computer access - win/win combination!

MADEUPNAME
03-15-2010, 04:09 PM
There looks to be a new modified version out soon which will use the existing wristband.

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=6232

Found a UK supplier with the new QR kit in stock and placed my order.... should have it in a day or two. I'll post a review comparing it to the original 310 QR kit as soon as I am able to.

MADEUPNAME
03-16-2010, 04:02 PM
Found a UK supplier with the new QR kit in stock and placed my order.... should have it in a day or two. I'll post a review comparing it to the original 310 QR kit as soon as I am able to.

I ordered mine from Tristan at BHI Partnership. You need to order the old style but in the delivery address field specify that you want the new style!

The new kit incorporates the existing strap. It comes with a tool to release the strap pins which are then used to secure a new back plate to the 310. A word of caution - make sure you follow the instructions fully and re-fit the spring pins in the order and manner specified as it will:

1. Save you a lot of time
2. Ensure that you don't "nick" the top of the existing spring pin holes with the supplied tool
3. Stop you from stabbing yourself in the thigh when your hand slips whilst trying to lever the bottom spring clip in with the top one already secure.

I didn't so I did experience 1 through 3 above.

The original strap ends are then secured to a new base plate by means of two very thin bolts. The 310 unit is then twisted through 90 degrees to secure and release it from the base plate.

I only know the bolts had Philips cross heads because the instruction booklet said so....... they are so small they were impossible for me to see, even using reading glasses. I didn't have a screwdriver anywhere near small enough and would doubt if most people would - in the end after 20 minutes of messing around I went into town and asked a jeweller to tighten the strap for me!! - If anyone has a screwdriver this small they probably also own a spring pin release tool. So if Garmin felt the need to include the spring pin release tool then they should also (IMHO) include a small cross head screwdriver.

The kit is also not as displayed in the promotional material (and the photo above). The two securing straps are no longer used to fix the receiving plate onto the handlebars and the plate itself has been remodelled somewhat - it is now held in place by 2 bands that are stretched taut over 4 lugs. It is a very secure placement.

Overall, I am very pleased compared to the previous QR kit. Attention has also been paid to the colour of the replacement parts in that the watch based pieces are in the same grey as the original unit and it is much, much more comfortable to wear.

KEVIN29ER
03-17-2010, 03:55 AM
With the 305 QR kit, I was able to buy several extra bike mounts. So far, I have been unable to locate a source to purchase individual bike mounts for the 310Xt QR. Any suggestions, besides cutting zip ties every time I change bikes?

MADEUPNAME
03-17-2010, 06:37 AM
Kevin the new 310 QR kit comes with removable bands rather than zip ties that need cutting.

TREVOR.GARSON
03-17-2010, 08:24 AM
Thanks for all of the in-depth info on the new kit, do you happen to know of any US suppliers that have the new one?