PDA

View Full Version : FR60 - Broken Watch Strap

ROSSCO01
07-26-2010, 01:39 AM
I've noticed a few posts on here (and the web) about broken strap stays (little rubber bungie that holds the loose part of the strap) however I wonder how big the problem of the strap breaking is.

My stay also broke a couple of months ago and I just thought "oh well" and made do with hair bungie of my daughters.....however I was then just about to start a run on the treadmill last week, pressed the start button and the strap literally just came away where it meets the body of the watch.

Thankfully I've only had it six months so took it back to the shop and they are providing a replacement tomorrow however the way the strap separated was exactly the way the stay broke so I wonder if there is a problem in the composition of the rubber/plastic in the strap. I note on the web that a few people have had the problem.

It will be interesting to see if the next one has the same problem

ROSSCO01
08-13-2010, 12:41 PM
Just in case anyone else has the same problem.

Returned the watch to Argos whe were very helpful and did attempt to replace twice (unfortunately only succesful in delivering - twice - a nice lilac ladies version) but eventually had to refund me.

Went to lovingoutdoors and order just the watch and heart rate monitor (as I'd "forgotten" to put the ant+ usb stick in the return I still had that). Got the watch and it's clear in the intervening months that there has been a redesign. It difficult to tell whether the strap material is different (it's still one piece) but the strap is very different being slightly wide (giving the watch a sleeker appearance) and with a more robust buckle. The bezel has also changed (hopefully for the better as the original chrome finish chipped away badly). Will let you know how I get on!

JAJA63
08-20-2010, 12:57 AM
:mad:
just back from my run last night and what do I see when I take my Garmin FR60 watch off - the watch band is separating from the watch face right where the two come together.
unfortunately this seems to be a recurring problem. I really hope that Garmin Customer Support will take care of my problem (repair/replace) but also take care of the overall problem. There is obviously something wrong with the design and materials if several people have had this problem.
Wish me luck with customer support here in France.

TRULYDIVINE79
02-14-2011, 09:09 AM
So I went running this past weekend and I went to look down and saw that the actual strop broke away from the watch. I was so pissed and when I ran this morning, I had to hold the watch in my hand as I ran. Is there anything I should do? I wonder why this keeps happening with their watches!!!! :mad:

JAJA63
02-14-2011, 01:25 PM
If your watch is still under warranty send it back for Garmin to replace the watch. That's what they did for me.
However, they obviously have a design problem. I inspect my watch after every run expecting this to happen again.

THECRUSHERXX
02-14-2011, 07:37 PM
I see my wife's is about to break and I can't take it back to the store.

JAJA63
02-15-2011, 01:23 PM
If you can't physically take it back to the store you can send it to Garmin. I live in France and that is what I had to do, send it back directly to Garmin.

JONI.ASHCRAFT
03-03-2011, 08:33 PM
Yep...same here. This is my 2nd watch with same problem. But the big crisis is I am running my 1st 1/2 marathon in 2 days!!!!

JONI.ASHCRAFT
03-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Well...no luck. They will replace my watch but only with a 90 day warranty! This sucks. Think I will try another brand.

EPICMCD
03-16-2011, 03:31 AM
is anyone able to post a picture of where the strap is breaking? would like to keep an eye out for early signs.

tia

NANCLAYTON
03-20-2011, 08:57 PM
I am currently in the process of sending my 2nd FR60 back because the strap has broken.
The first time was approximately 6 mos after I got it. I wear the watch about 2 hours a day and it tore right where the strap meets the watch.
Garmin was great about replacing the watch.
However, I have had the 2nd FR60 for 6 mos again and this time the strap tore at the first hole closest to the watch face.
Clearly the design is poor.
I am sorry to say that the customer service rep first tried to tell me that I was out of warranty which was 90 days for a refurbished watch. I had to point out that I bought a brand new FR60 - sent in the damaged one and was refunded the purchase - so I should have the one year warranty. I also informed her that since this was the 2nd time w/ the same issue clearly they have a problem. She put me on hold and told me they would reimburse me for the replacement I just ordered once they receive the damaged watch.
I haven't found a more reliable brand for calorie/heart rate. I own the Edge for cycling which is great and am considering purchasing the 210 for gps function for running.
Those bands are not all one piece and haven't had that same issue.
Garmin needs to change the band!

RBRSTR
11-15-2011, 03:59 PM
The strap on my wifes FR60 has also split where it meets the watch body, rendering it useless. Seems they have a design fault here, my wifes watch is only 10 months old

Guess we'll see how good their customer service and warranty is then, i'll re post and let you all know how that works out!

DUBACD
07-11-2012, 10:24 AM
It seems obvious to me Garmin is just trying to sell a lot of watch bands and designs them to break very easily.

KARLW2000
07-12-2012, 10:13 AM
I have had my 60 for about a year now and doesn't look anywhere near like breaking. I wear it every day, run with it, swim with it, so it takes a lot of abuse.

That said, my 205 and 405 strap broke. I replaced both straps, but then the 405 broke again at the body so it's non-repairable.

KZEMACH
09-04-2012, 10:13 AM
Garmin's straps are notorious for being really poor quality. I first had an FR50, which broke within the warranty period but I was in Iraq so I couldn't get it replaced. Next up I got an FR60, and the first strap broke in 9 months, and the second made it through the "90 day replacement warranty" and then broke a month later so I was screwed. Then I got another FR60, but this time got a women's just in case the band was better. Nope. Started cracking after TWENTY DAYS, and then the strap broke off while I was sleeping. Garmin replaced that with a men's FR60, it's been about two weeks, and the light grey part is looking a bit crappy.

So, I've basically resigned myself to return them every 90 days, as there is almost always degradation and damage to the bands for me within that time, even if the band hasn't broken through yet. Garmin is the only watch for which this happens to me. I'm not a swimmer, so it's not chlorine. Not sure why some people don't have issues and others do, but for me, it's terrible. Maybe my sweat composition? I dunno. Either way, you are well advised to keep returning them within the 90 day period.

PS- the heart rate monitor bands go bad in about 9-10 months too, although that may be due to me using them 10-14 hours/week.

ZUMBAMOM
10-06-2012, 10:22 AM
i"m so frustrated; having lots of problems uploading my data to garmin connect, but what really is making me mad is that my strap started cracking a few months ago. i only use it a few times a week for a few hours at a time. Well, the strap has now broken off completely at around the 3rd hole from the watch face. i took it back to REI where they offered to send it in for a replacement but knowing the watch is 2 years old, i knew i'd be paying for the replacement and without my watch for a few weeks at least. i told them i'd deal with garmin directly. when i inquired about a replacement, they told me i can buy one for $90. that is almost as much as the whole kit cost me new! I'm so annoyed. i miss my Polar. i only switched to Garmin because at the time, the Polar could no longer "talk" to the windows version that we upgraded to on our computer. Now, i bet Polar has a fix for that and I'm really tempted to just go back to Polar. GRRR. why can't they make a better design for the watch band?? i'm really frustrated and DONE with Garmin.

FINNER2
12-02-2012, 04:56 AM
hi my fr 60 is about 2yrs old & only ever used it strapped to the handlebars of my bike. the last yr the watch hasnt been used due to health reasons. got the watch out of the draw & the battery was flat so took the back off only to find where the 2 lower screws locate it has perished & cracked rendering the watch useless as the back will not stay on. so not very happy with the quality of this watch.

MUNDYBOY
12-30-2012, 05:42 PM
My watch was brought a present so I didn't have a chance to inspect the quality of it before purchase. My strap broke a little over a year after purchase. I was shocked when I looked at how the watch band is molded around the watch so you cannot replace it. What an appalling design. Combined with the fact that one of the buttons on the watch stopped working several weeks after I bought it.
The watch cost $250 in Australia...what a scam
very disappointed, I wont buy another Garmin watch.

OTIS80
03-18-2013, 08:01 AM
I had the pin fall out of the band - called Garmin - and they are sending a replacement band kit today (no charge). Faulty design but great service. Love to see Garmin standing behind their product.

THRASH155
03-24-2013, 06:43 AM
I've had My FR60 since 2009, Many Years of good service and replaced the battery (4) times myself without a hitch. However just in the last month after all that time and pool use the side strap has finally succumbed to deterioration and broken two segments along the narrow side of the strap. I can still wear it but the thicker part is starting to tear as well. BTW, This has been my goto watch for all my run/swim/general fitness training. I use an Edge500 on the bike, but used the FR60 before that. Replacing with a 910xt.

DANLEERANKIN
05-05-2013, 09:50 AM
Just wanted to post about a certain success I have had. If you break the little plastic part that holds the watch strap down. Go to home depot, lowes, or what ever hardware store and buy a #41 O-Ring. It seems really stupid, but it really does work. I had a pack laying around the house so I decided to try it out. Seems to work great so far. Another size O-ring may be better, but it really does hold the band tighter to the strap than the garmin one. The great part is they are designed for water and you get like 10 in a pack.

GOKSER
07-09-2013, 09:21 AM
hello, I have got a garmin fR60M redblack. I liked its features. But I dont like watch's material quality.
Do you have someone who is happy with the quality of clock?
And How can I buy new watch frame/ watch strap? please, help me.

BEERMEUPSCOTTIE
12-28-2013, 07:13 PM
Just to add my wife's FR60 has been useless as well. Strap (which is not replaceable) snapped twice (one was a replacement). Now has to be carried in a pocket, not much use for checking timings.