PDA

View Full Version : feedback-thread for custom maps without limitations

PROGRAMMANAGER
07-20-2010, 01:50 AM
Would you like custom maps without limitations. (currently we have 100 files with 1024x1024 pix)
Removing the limitation, the gpsmap 78xx and 62xx could use custom rastermaps up to 32GB (max. 4GB/ kmz)
Comparing with other gps-companies, we consider it's time to remove this limitation.
The other way would be the next generation with a better display (240x400), which is essential for rastermaps.

DARTMOORWALKER
07-20-2010, 02:32 AM
This does seem an unnecessary restriction on what is otherwise an excellent product. I am keeping a close watch on the GPS units on slate or phone formats, and my primary reason for moving away from Garmin is this restriction.
So many people I know want to annotate their mats, and this is so much easier with a raster format, where you can use a painting programme on the tiles.
I want to be able to select the map with a map manager.
I could do this with memorymap on their GPS unit, but the battery life is not as good, it is not as waterproof etc. I am sure that their next version will improve on this. There is no restriction on how many of my own maps I use on their system, and I can change maps while out on the trail with ease.
Garmin, if you want to keep long standing customers, give us an upgrade to a map manager and no restrictions on custom maps.

FRITZ_NEWTON
07-20-2010, 07:04 AM
Completely agree. I upgraded from an eTrex (my fourth) to a Dakota to get the custom map feature. But I purchased the low-end model, the Dakota 10, in part, because of the 100-tile restriction, which seems a Garmin market decision rather than a hardware limitation. (The other reason: screen display, which I figure has to get better in coming generations.)

Here's the thing about raster maps. For hikers, at least here in Northern California, they remain the best guidance. I've yet to see a vector map come close to showing the actual network of trails as you'll encounter it. And of course, satellite imagery is interesting, but not especially helpful in wooded areas. The Dakota is a wonderfully designed unit: I've come to appreciate the touch interface, as well as the ability to create custom maps with relative ease--especially with the help of MAPC2MAPC. But every time I encounter the 100-tile limit warning screen, I think: is anyone doing this better?

AndyT3
07-20-2010, 10:45 AM
Yes please !!

Sometimes the limitation prevents me from using all of my raster maps I have for an area.
Ditto the comments by Fritz.
I am a Birdseye subscriber, and for the price will remain so. I have found it extremely useful when out hiking.
Its just that scanned hiking maps add another dimension that I need / want.

DAROCCOT
07-20-2010, 11:49 AM
Here - here

I agree, if I can't get unrestricted access to custom mapping. Our program will not be supporting Garmin products in the future.

WA7BQB
07-20-2010, 01:51 PM
It would be great to be able to have all of my Columbia River custom maps resident in the Oregon 550. Traveling on this river now requires multiple loading of limited sets of custom maps before reaching destinations. I would sure appreciate not having that limitation!

NWA4EVER
07-20-2010, 04:56 PM
I really like my 78....but the 100 map limit is making me consider other options.

JBADILLA
07-20-2010, 05:20 PM
I agree the should be no limit for the number of tiles, the limit should be only the available memory in the unit or the sd card, or at least offer an option to turn on / off selected kmz files in the Custom maps folder

PROGRAMMANAGER
07-21-2010, 11:59 PM
I think, it could be implemented in the next model-version (not 62/78) to push it to 256 files. This is more than 100%.

TRAILTECH
07-23-2010, 07:49 AM
We are excited about the continued interest and adoption of Garmin Custom Maps by Garmin customers. We are evaluating the performance impact of increasing the maximum tile size and overall tile count. If these improvements can be achieved, our limits may be raised. However, structural differences in the file format between Garmin Custom Maps (KMZ) and Garmin BirdsEye (JNX) will prevent Custom Maps limits to ever reach the overall capacity of Garmin BirdsEye.

Thanks,

TrailTech

FRITZ_NEWTON
07-23-2010, 08:33 AM
That would be welcome. Thanks for considering.

TSUKANOV2
07-23-2010, 10:21 AM
I think that there is very strong competition between usual GPS navigators as Garmin and GPS mobile phones. Why I bought Oregon 300? The reason was in its waterproof features. Now there are good waterproof mobile phone devices. But these devices have good OS and Java inside. All maps problems have very easy decisions if you have input in software. Now it is time for Garmin to change there marketing politics. More software inputs for customs!

stephencreek
07-23-2010, 11:01 AM
If these improvements can be achieved, our limits may be raised.

This is great news - keep up the good work!

FRITZ_NEWTON
07-23-2010, 11:16 AM
I think that there is very strong competition between usual GPS navigators as Garmin and GPS mobile phones. Why I bought Oregon 300? The reason was in its waterproof features. Now there are good waterproof mobile phone devices. But these devices have good OS and Java inside. All maps problems have very easy decisions if you have input in software. Now it is time for Garmin to change there marketing politics. More software inputs for customs! No question that mobile phones, particularly Android, are encroaching on Garmin handholds. But I would argue that, for serious GPS users, both hobbyists and professionals, Custom Maps is one feature that mobile phones don't offer. Which of course is another reason to not to artificially limit them. This will never be a large part of the market. Handhelds represent a comparatively small portion of Garmin's revenues compared with the Nuvi line. The number of people actually willing to plunge into the Custom Mapmaking recipe is even smaller. But those people (us) do represent an influential segment of Garmin customers. Technical limitations are one thing, and I trust the developers, who have done a great job so far. Artificial limitations are a marketing decision, and I hope Garmin product managers will do the same.

johnthorn
07-23-2010, 11:34 AM
Custom Maps is one feature that mobile phones don't offer

Not quite true! Mobile Atlas Creator will feed tools like Andnav, Maverick, Trekbuddy, OSMTracker - and so will MAPC2MAPC

FRITZ_NEWTON
07-23-2010, 05:07 PM
Not quite true! Mobile Atlas Creator will feed tools like Andnav, Maverick, Trekbuddy, OSMTracker - and so will MAPC2MAPC I was thinking of more specialized outdoors maps than Mobile Atlas Creator supports--particularly when it comes to up-to-date, well marked trails. Not that MAC isn't highly useful. I was delighted to have Google Maps on my Dakota GPS for a recent trip to Japan.

AZIEMIANSKI
07-24-2010, 02:34 AM
Would you like custom maps without limitations. (currently we have 100 files with 1024x1024 pix)
Removing the limitation, the gpsmap 78xx and 62xx could use custom rastermaps up to 32GB (max. 4GB/ kmz)
Comparing with other gps-companies, we consider it's time to remove this limitation.
The other way would be the next generation with a better display (240x400), which is essential for rastermaps.

My old Magellan Triton 300 didn't have a tile limit that I ran into. (rather I had a memory limit of the device, and I had a patience limit for device crashes)

With my Garmin, my custom maps take up 68 megs, which is barely using the capacity of the device, and they're almost hitting the 100 tile limit. I've only got 9 custom maps on my Oregon.
I also had to be super careful with setting the 'draw order' of my custom maps on the Oregon, because of having 2 custom maps overlapping with the same draw order

With the Triton, Vantagepoint did it's own calculations for draw order based on the resolution of the file, so having the north shore bike maps overlapping the Lower Seymour Conservation Reserve, overlapping the Upper Seymour Conservation reserve map which overlapped the local toporama map, which overlapped a regional map.
Magellan's software recompressed my jpeg's , resulting in a crappier image on the screen than when I started. On that crappy old Magellan I even had a version of Vancouver's openstreetmap in raster format.

Myself, I'd like to be able to turn individual maps on and off. (the triton let me do that)
I thought that Fat32 had a file limit size of 2 gigs..

DAVIDWOODMAN
07-24-2010, 08:46 AM
I would have replaced my ancient Garmin GPSII+ with an Oregon if it wasn't for the Custom maps tile limit. In the end I went for TwoNav Sportiva. I had to import it from Spain since there are no distributors in the UK. But the purchase went smoothly and I'm very happy with the unit. It has no artificial limits on custom map size. The main hardware difference is that it takes a mobile phone type lithium battery rather than AA cells. This, of course, has pros and cons. Also there is no NMEA output.

FRITZ_NEWTON
07-24-2010, 11:43 AM
I would have replaced my ancient Garmin GPSII+ with an Oregon if it wasn't for the Custom maps tile limit. In the end I went for TwoNav Sportiva. I had to import it from Spain since there are no distributors in the UK. But the purchase went smoothly and I'm very happy with the unit. It has no artificial limits on custom map size. The main hardware difference is that it takes a mobile phone type lithium battery rather than AA cells. This, of course, has pros and cons. Also there is no NMEA output. Just curious: how do you georeference the maps?

DAVIDWOODMAN
07-24-2010, 11:52 AM
OziExplorer or the free version of Compegps Land both work equally well for georeferencing. You load the image file into either package and then "calibrate" the map by selecting 2 or three known positions and entering their coordinates.

FRITZ_NEWTON
07-24-2010, 01:21 PM
What file format do you then download to the GPS? (i.e., what's the comperable format to the.KMZ files used by Garmins devices?) Do you have to tile the file first? (sorry to barrage you--I'm just curious how other GPSs accomplish this.)

DAVIDWOODMAN
07-24-2010, 02:42 PM
No you don't have to split the map into lots of tiles. The unit accepts two formats (.ecw or .rmap).

Compegps Land is the desktop version of the software which runs on the Sportiva. If you calibrate an image file (.png is the recommended image format, though it can cope with jpeg or bmp among others) then Compegps will output it as either .ecw or .rmap). Either of these can then be uploaded to the Sportiva. CompeGps also allows you to join maps to create one large .ecw or .rmap file. I have a number of .rmap files on the unit's SD card at the moment. A couple are over 0.8GigaBytes. (230km x 130km 2.5metres per pixel). The unit handles them easily.

FRITZ_NEWTON
07-24-2010, 11:50 PM
Thank you. Much appreciated.

JBADILLA
07-25-2010, 12:47 AM
We are excited about the continued interest and adoption of Garmin Custom Maps by Garmin customers. We are evaluating the performance impact of increasing the maximum tile size and overall tile count. If these improvements can be achieved, our limits may be raised. However, structural differences in the file format between Garmin Custom Maps (KMZ) and Garmin BirdsEye (JNX) will prevent Custom Maps limits to ever reach the overall capacity of Garmin BirdsEye.

Thanks,

TrailTech

If it has not been considered yet as an option I would like to suggest adding a way to check/uncheck which specific kmz files are active at a given time, and not having to just turn off or on the files in the custom maps folder as a whole. I believe many users would welcome this option even if the number of maps checked has a limit, because it would allow to swap custom maps directly on the device, and not taking the sd card out and making file movements with laptops or phones which I believe some users are doing.

NWA4EVER
07-25-2010, 08:04 AM
If it has not been considered yet as an option I would like to suggest adding a way to check/uncheck which specific kmz files are active at a given time, and not having to just turn off or on the files in the custom maps folder as a whole. I believe many users would welcome this option even if the number of maps checked has a limit, because it would allow to swap custom maps directly on the device, and not taking the sd card out and making file movements with laptops or phones which I believe some users are doing.

I agree with this....not ideal, but still a decent workaround.

DARTMOORWALKER
07-26-2010, 05:08 AM

Thanks Trailtech for your comments, but I also agree that having a manager for Custom Maps would be far more use than a small increase in tile size or count.
At its simplest, simply selecting which kmz file to use would be very useful. Showing maps at cursor, as well as the ability to switch them off and on would be better. Either option would hugely improve the versatility for the user. I need to be able to switch maps in the field.

TSUKANOV2
07-26-2010, 08:45 AM
What is ideal GPS navigator? For my opinion, it must have good OS such as Windows or Linux. It is necessary to have Java inside. It will be good to have maps editor for PC, such as Oziexplorer, but with possibility to edit Garmin vector maps and combine Garmin maps with customer information. It is modern way in software industry. You pay not for CD or codes, but pay for knowledge for knowhow, for knowledge for the best using you device with software.

URS.HERZOG
08-06-2010, 07:24 AM
I'm using a colorado 300:
Is it planned to update the firmware of the colorado as well, to improve the custom map feature?
- I would prefer additional subfolders in the Custom map folder with different sets of custom maps. And It would be nice to select which subfolder is loaded. This could happen with the map selection option from the unit where I can select the active maps.
- Would be nice if the subfolders are displayed by name in the map selection list. So I could give the different sets meaningful names.

This way the limit of 100 tiles is not anymore that painful as it is now. Even if only one Custom map subfolder could be active at the time.

The need for different map set comes from being in the same region once as hiker, interested in tracks, and once as hangglider in the air, interested in airfields and controlled airspaces and one as mountainbiker interested in single tracks.

ANDREADEGI
08-10-2010, 03:53 AM
I like the idea of custom maps but at the moment I don't use this feature just for the size limit issue.

I own a lot of cartography in Ozi Explorer format - that I consider a de-facto standard in raster cartography - and I'd like to be able to covert an entire map and send it to the unit without limitations.

So I would be really happy if Garmin will manage to remove "that" limit.

And even more if they will decide to support ecw and OziExplorer formats...

Andrew

stephencreek
08-10-2010, 01:48 PM
In the meantime, have you tried OziExplorer CE? I am using it on a Magellan Roadmate 1700 (big 7" screen :)) and Magellan Triton 1500. Works very well and, as you know, you can create huge images with their mapmerge utility.

GARMATX66
08-18-2010, 12:11 AM
Hi,

I am STRONGLY in favor of increasing the limit of jpgs well above 100...that's if the processor can handle it. Otherwise, the work arounds of multiple SD cards or moving files around are doable but not what i was expecting in this day and age. My brother who has a cell phone GPS for hunting with web enabled paid about the same $ as my new 62S and he has no such limits.
If i wasn't adamant about a rugged unit - I likely would have gone that route as well.

Cheers.

FRITZ_NEWTON
08-18-2010, 08:19 AM
Leszek Pawlowicz of the website "Free Geography Tools" came to a similar conclusion about Android phones versus dedicated GPSs (http://freegeographytools.com/2010/android-the-future-of-consumer-gps-part-i?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+FreeGeographyTools+(Free+Geography+Tools)). Of course, smartphones typically incur a $30/month data charge. And they don't handle raster maps--which means the 100 tile limit is N/A. But he thinks the Android operating system is the future of handhelds and this is coming from a guy who has been "a Garmin fanboy for 10 years now, and even now that I own a Droid X, you’ll have to pry my 60Cx out of my cold dead hands."

GARMATX66
08-18-2010, 06:28 PM
""And they don't handle raster maps--which means the 100 tile limit is N/A.""

_____

That's not correct.
The jpg images i created to make my KMZ custom file, well i sent them to my brother and gave him 2 corner coordinates and he pasted them in.
Those vere absolutely raster maps.

FRITZ_NEWTON
08-18-2010, 07:25 PM
"The jpg images i created to make my KMZ custom file, well i sent them to my brother and gave him 2 corner coordinates and he pasted them in.
Those vere absolutely raster maps. That's interesting--say more. What program did he paste them into: Google Maps? Google Earth? And did he use the coordinates somehow, or simply stretch the jpgs to fit?

GARMATX66
08-19-2010, 08:25 AM
He pasted the jpgs into his cell phone software.
There is a page where you see all the coordinate info and he simply uses his qwerty pad and types them in to georef the jpgs i sent him.
What's also cool is he can turn map layers on and off.
Sorry i don't know offhand what phone model it is but he's had it for a year already.

FRITZ_NEWTON
08-19-2010, 05:44 PM
I'm curious about the specific app--but thanks for the description. Android really does sound like a serious GPS platform.

RICHARDKCHAPMAN
08-28-2010, 04:44 AM
I am seriously considering returning my new 62s simply because of the frustration I am having with custom maps. They _so nearly_ work but just when you think you've found a workaround for one issue you find another one. The 100 tile limit is not the killer for me - 100 tiles can cover a days walking and I can connect to pc to switch maps every night.

The killer is that I can't have two different custom maps for the same area loaded and decide which one to view - for example, comparing a historical with a modern scanned map of the area, having multiple sets of scanned imagery (birdseye has no coverage in the area I need it) etc. Carrying multiple sd cards (or a pc) in the field as a workaround is laughable.

I realize the 100 tile limit is there to encourage me to buy Garmin maps, but it doesn't (the maps I want to look at are not available from Garmin anyway) - these limits encourage me to avoid Garmin altogether and switch to a different platform.

Is there any prospect of this changing, or should I return the unit and switch to another brand?

stephencreek
08-28-2010, 01:57 PM
I think "it is what it is". So you might as well return the unit. Then the question will be... what's the alternative?

DAVIDWOODMAN
08-29-2010, 04:01 AM
So you might as well return the unit. Then the question will be... what's the alternative?

TwoNav Sportiva - Perfect

DON_WONG67
08-30-2010, 12:48 AM
+1 for lifting the 100 tile limit!

stephencreek
08-31-2010, 11:13 AM
TwoNav Sportiva - Perfect

Maybe not so perfect if you are in the US...

DAVIDWOODMAN
08-31-2010, 12:35 PM
Maybe not so perfect if you are in the US...

I'm not so sure. I'm in the UK (they are a Spanish company) and there are no distributors here, I just bought it from their website and exchanged a couple of emails. Admittedly I was a little nervous buying it from another country but the unit has surpassed my expectations and the purchase went smoothly.

I can't imagine it's any harder to get in the US by the same method.

Digital rights management is evaporating in the music market place and I hope that the success of devices like the Sportiva will hasten the end of DRM for mapping too. Otherwise people will be forced to pay again and again for the same mapping data whenever they change device manufacturers.

FRITZ_NEWTON
08-31-2010, 03:20 PM
IDigital rights management is evaporating in the music market place and I hope that the success of devices like the Sportiva will hasten the end of DRM for mapping too. Otherwise people will be forced to pay again and again for the same mapping data whenever they change device manufacturers. That's a good analogy, and I agree--the software purchase shouldn't lock you into the hardware manufacturer's products. (Porting telephone numbers between phone carriers is another example.)

But the tile limit we're talking about isn't quite the same--in that you typically don't pay for the kinds of raster maps being discussed here. Or rather, you pay in time, not money: the time it takes to georeference an image. Ideally, there would be a common format for those too: kmzs seem an obvious candidate, though not the only one.

I just returned from a backpack using my Oregon 450, with a vector map puchased from Garmin, another downloaded for free from GPSFileDepot (and only available in the Garmin format), and a raster Custom Map I put together based on a scanned Forestry Service paper map (which, as usual, showed trails and features not shown on the vectors). The combination worked great, but I don't think could have been done on anything but a Garmin device. The 100 tile limit is a pain, and I resent it. But I also recognize that having the dominant market share for handhelds matters--because the formats Garmin uses tend to become the defacto industry standards.

PROGRAMMANAGER
09-02-2010, 11:23 PM
Oregons, Dakotas, gpsmap62/78 are just toys for using raster maps .
For professional use of raster maps take CompeGPS Aventura or Sportiva

You can create your own map (all over the world) using ecw or rmap fileformat.

Limitation: 4GB per file !!!!
But you can load multile files up to 32GB
With an incredible performance --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K_fYm_SH7o
Same speed using 1mb or 16GB map!!!

Please compare it with the limitations of Garmin-kmz-files (100 maps 1024x1024 pixel)

modustollens
09-03-2010, 07:42 AM
I just changed from a triton 500 to an Oregon 300. The use of custom maps is the only thing I liked better about the triton. Using mobile atlas creator I made huge maps (i.e., 12gb) of South Korea - I had the whole country on my unit all downloaded from the web.

I doubt its a hardware limitation that prevents similar maps on the Garmin. But such restrictions are really impotent if meant to force people to purchase maps for all garmin maps - the topos and city navigators - can be downloaded at will using torrents anyway; so, if people don't want to pay for map data they really don't need to even if protected by copy-protection.

The software needs to be changed to allow custom maps of unlimited scope; and there should be an option for only enabling individual maps and not all the custom maps at one time.

MT

DEZZA069
09-12-2010, 05:07 PM
Either allow custom maps with no 100 tile limitations, auto selection/de-selection of custom maps based on location/zoom, or allow manual individual custom map selection (but 100 tile per custom map, if that IS a hardware decided limit).

Custom maps rock!

PIERREGA
12-14-2010, 08:29 PM
Yes, a custom map manager is the best solution. We can change the map on the site and for different activities.

DSUTTR
12-27-2010, 06:13 PM
I have two maps of the same area. one is an HMZ from a 1890 map and one is an HMZ from a 2010 map. If I load both in the CUSTOMMAPS FOLDER, I can not toggle between them. with the Magellan, which cost much less, my friends can do this. If I could return my garmin 62s for Magellan triton, I would. the only way to obviate problem is to have one map on micro chip one and one map on micro chip two. In field no way will I switch micro chips. why is garmin remiss here. david sutter

tgbyrne@gmail.com
12-28-2010, 12:39 PM
I just got a 550t to replace my Triton 500 after I read about the ability if the 550 to use custom maps. Now I find out that you have severe limitations on the map size. Is Garmin listening to its users? I am tempted to go back to the 500.

SARLABS
01-06-2011, 07:22 PM
I want to add my voice toward breaking the 100 CustomMaps limit and have a CustomMap manager, as well as a BirdsEye manager too. I use my hand-held GPS units for SAR, an Oregon 400i and a 62S and really would like to see this happen soon.

SAVERIO.COSTA
01-16-2011, 10:03 AM
+1
I think that a custom map manager can be a good solution!

REDIGUANANZ
01-23-2011, 04:41 PM
I haven't read the whole thread yet, but this is the whole reason I came here to post this time around.

As you may be aware, on September 4, 2010, we had a significant earthquake in my hometown in Christchurch, New Zealand. One part of my response was managing 6 Garmin Oregon 550 GPS units that belong to the New Zealand Society for Earthquake Engineering. These units have also been over to Padang, Indonesia; and Chile; following the earlier earthquakes there.

One thing I have always wanted, has been a way to take satellite and/or aerial georeferenced imagery flown post disaster, that is provided as one or more geotiffs, and be able to do one or both of the following.

1. Just directly copy geotiffs onto the unit. I recognise that this may have a performance issue when it comes to rendering at different zoom levels, so is probably less than ideal.

2. Provide a tool* in BaseCamp that allows the ability to provide one or more geotiffs, and have BaseCamp produce a JNX file(s) for this imagery. Quite often this imagery may not be publicly available, so there needs to be an offline and disconnected means of producing and packaging the imagery.

Note that this would also mean that it would be possible to load imagery that government agencies have licensed and is not publicly available into GPS units for disaster response. For example, in NZ, we have KiwImage which is available to a number of Government agencies, and if such a tool existed, I would then be able to load this imagery into the Garmin 550 GPS units used for response. Another use case would be the high resolution geotiffs of New Zealand topographic maps that are freely available that could be loaded and utilised by Land Search and Rescue.

I firmly believe that this should be produced as a zoom-dependent tileset a la BirdsEye, and not as a CustomMap. I don't use CustomMap at all, and don't see it as a viable solution for this problem, and hence I don't see why the CustomMap approach can't be dropped, and the tool built into BaseCamp to take georeferenced imagery and spit out everything as JNX.

All my use cases for disasters cover large areas, and therefore quantities of data, and hence I suspect that the JNX approach is the only real solution.

In addition, it would be very nice to be able to create folders of JNX files, and have each folder represent a mapset that can be enabled/disabled independently of each other. Currently one can only enable/disable BirdsEye, whereas it would be very nice to have different folders of tiled imagery that can be turned on/off using the Setup > Maps interface.

I could see three sets of imagery for an affected area being used - pre-event imagery (for reference, pre-damage), post-event showing damage, and topographic. All sets of the same area that would be useful to responders, and all best loaded as JNX.

It would be a logistical nightmare for me to manage smaller map areas using CustomMaps, when I could just process a few geotiffs into a single JNX package and deploy this on multiple units very quickly.

I would be very keen to see this happen, and as someone that has had some experience with disaster response, I would be keen to be a test user to help make this happen. Please contact me via my profile if you'd like to continue this discussion offline.

I think I could promote a lot of Garmin GPS units to emergency managers and humanitarian aid workers with the ability to produce your own JNX files from post-disaster imagery.

Cheers Gavin

* Of course, as a geeky user, I'd have absolutely no problem with using a commandline python tool for the production of JNX files from geotiffs either.

JBADILLA
01-25-2011, 11:30 AM
REDIGUANANZ provides some very valid reasons and usage scenarios in which it would be convenient for custom maps NOT to have the current tile limits and to have jnx as a alternate format. Indeed, with newer versions of mapc2mapc I have begun generating my raster maps not as kmz custom maps but as jnx files, but even with the tile limit raised, we need to be able to switch between, layer, or turn on and off maps covering the same areas on the field, without having to depend on external equipment to swap files on the CustomMaps / BirdsEye folders. As the Oregon provides a waypoint manager and track manager, a custom map or birds eye manager would be a great way to apply "show on map"/ "hide on map" functions for specific kmz and jnx files.

stephencreek
01-25-2011, 11:53 AM
So, we are now able to create our own .jnx files? Or didn't I understand? How does this affect the tile size and quantity limits? Is this mapc2mapc feature documented somewhere?

PIERREGA
02-09-2011, 03:48 PM
Tanks,
Pierre

modustollens
04-15-2012, 08:36 PM
I suppose if Garmin would have listened to its users it would have changed this policy months ago and some guy would not have had to hack the firmware to get the same performance that I had with a Triton Magellan two years ago.

Indeed - when researching which device to purchase I finally decided on a garmin for the reason that it could take custom maps (for I live and work in areas of the world where getting pre-made maps is very difficult); and if you look on garmin's website at

http://www.garmin.com/us/products/onthetrail/custommaps#fragment-1

you will see lots of information about custom maps save the most important thing: the ridiculous image restriction which made this expensive unit almost useless for what I wanted to use it for. If garmin does not want people to hack their firmware then they should, in bright red flashing letters, warn people about this restriction, explaining how their custom map system is not, like magellan's, unlimited. I would not have bought this unit knowing about this restriction.

I bought this device to achieve my goals, not Garmin's. So I really care not for merely personal opinions or indeed software licenses. I am concerned with my own safety when I require a device like this. Birds eye imagery is a nice gimmick; but it in no way replaces a good topographic map. Indeed, even when I had a triton I did not use satellite images; they are not as good for navigation as some are wont to believe. If garmin wishes only to sell units to weekend users in western countries with lots of map data then they should tell people about the custom map restriction on their website and not mislead people.

Indeed, the restriction is somewhat counter-intuitive given that we can load an unlimited quantity of open-street maps - which are basically crowd-sourced custom maps.

I even bet that Garmin would have sold more units without this restriction anyway. Indeed, I bought a Triton and not a Garmin for my first GPS based on this very issue - custom maps, and did not buy a garmin until there were custom maps.

Moreover, when Garmin finally allowed custom maps I do not recall seeing in bright red script a warning about this restriction.

Then again, I am not a corporate yes-man and will look out for my own self-interests when I see fit.

Too bad for Garmin - they are obviously not as advanced as they would like people to believe.

MT

08-08-2012, 11:38 PM
i cannot believe that there is such a limitation. i am now considering return my garmin gpsmap62s. this is a horrible attempt to sell birdseye. you have failed garmin.

08-08-2012, 11:52 PM
i am going to return this useless brick.

mdxix
06-09-2013, 07:17 PM
Is there still a limit for the size and number of tiles? That would be disappointing.

stephencreek
06-10-2013, 04:45 AM
Yes. The Montana and new Oregon 6x0 series support 500 tiles but all of the other custom map compatible devices only support 100 tiles.

-Boyd

yoyotogo
08-26-2013, 05:04 AM
Yes. The Montana and new Oregon 6x0 series support 500 tiles but all of the other custom map compatible devices only support 100 tiles.

-Boyd

Hello , we are leaving in West Africa , in TOGO , we got old french maps at 1:200.000 and insert it in our GPS with ozi.
but it's not very clear and fast to navigate because the 100tiles limit is here to make larger less precise maps.

I own a Montana 650
an Oregon 550
an Oregon 400

i've put a lot of bucks in the Garmin Gps's
and my friends are buying it too

the limit is 500 on the Montana .. i've made a great map... on the 550 its too poor when you try to compare

the O.550 was the last top of range ... at least this one could receive a good 500tiles update ...PLEASE !!!!! :p

Thanks for your customers M.Garmin

10-25-2013, 06:40 AM
Hi I am trying this forum because I did not have the success I needed from a phone contact to Garmin Support.

No commercially available mapping software provides 1:25,000 topo maps of my area - Central Plateau, Tasmania, Australia. I use OziExplorer map files of the appropriately scaled TASMAPS, then tile them in OkMap software, and transfer drag and drop them in to the Dakota's "Custom Map" folder.

I am at the stage with my Dakota 20 where I get the message "Too many custom map images. They will not all be displayed" on start-up.
I was told by Garmin Support that buying an SD card would help with this problem.

The "general guidelines when creating Garmin Custom Maps" they sent me stated "◦Kmz files are read from \Garmin\CustomMaps directory on both the unit's internal memory and on the SD Card", so I expected to be able to shift some of my existing custom maps from internal memory to the SD card and fix my problem.

My problem is that I assume I need to have an appropriately labelled folder on the SD card to place custom maps in, and after inserting the SD card and attaching my GPS to the computer, I cannot "see" the SD card to create the folder or transfer the files.

I expect the solution will be simple but it eludes me at the moment.

Can anyone give me advice please on how to make my SD card carry some of the custom map files?

Many Thanks
Tim

SUSSAMB
10-25-2013, 06:59 AM
I'm not sure a sd card is going to help, sounds like you may have hit the tile limit, see this thread

http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=25832

and this Garmin FAQ

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId=%7B0b02f820-03db-11e0-e050-000000000000%7D

stephencreek
10-25-2013, 11:39 AM
I think the error message probably tells the whole story. Your device can only support a maximum of 100 map tiles and you have exceeded that number. This is a limitation of the garmin firmware and it doesn't matter whether maps are stored on a card or internal memory. It also doesn't matter whether you have 100 separate .kmz files that each contain a single .jpg or just one .kmz file that contains many .jpg's. 100 tiles is the limit.

The newest devices support more tiles but it's highly unlikely that Garmin would update the firmware on the old models to allow more tiles.

-Boyd

10-25-2013, 05:15 PM
HI,
Thank you very much for the quick answers!

After sleeping on it, and reading the replies to my query, I accept defeat.

My best option is to organise my custom maps well on my computer, and only load the ones I need for a particular trip.

I'll probably be even more selective when generating my custom maps too. Prior to generation, the OkMap software allows excision of tiles covering unwanted areas, so I will be brutal!
I expect I will also count my tiles for each custom map and store that info with the maps. I can use my backup paper maps for the bigger picture when on the trip.

Thanks again for the help.

Tim

I think the error message probably tells the whole story. Your device can only support a maximum of 100 map tiles and you have exceeded that number. This is a limitation of the garmin firmware and it doesn't matter whether maps are stored on a card or internal memory. It also doesn't matter whether you have 100 separate .kmz files that each contain a single .jpg or just one .kmz file that contains many .jpg's. 100 tiles is the limit.

The newest devices support more tiles but it's highly unlikely that Garmin would update the firmware on the old models to allow more tiles.

-Boyd

sbfireman_
12-27-2013, 09:45 AM
Not sure where this stands on the Garmin development side other than still not able to load more than 100 map tiles on a new purchase of a Rino but I did submit on the http://www.garmin.com/ideas site after a nice phone chat with customer service. Hopefully this is in progress for a firmware update in the first of the new year.