PDA

View Full Version : Forerunner 310XT failed to transfer data

MOGGSY
08-20-2009, 03:01 AM
I took the plunge and purchased the 310XT exactly a week ago today. I love the features of the device and the installation was a cinch, everything just worked and I was especially pleased to see that Garmin have invested in factoring in Mac compatibility, where many other manufacturers don't bother.

Transfers were working seemlessly until last night when, after performing two activities during the day, I brought the device within range of my Mac, the ANT agent fired up, the watch buzzed but I was promptly greeted with "The last data transfer from device xxxx failed". And that's where a 4 hour saga to try and resolve the issue began...

I scoured the web and garmin forums for clues, performed several uninstalls, reinstalls, reboots, soft resets, unpairing, repairing in all sorts of orders, but to no avail, I even installed everything onto a PC, but that too failed, which indicates the device was at fault.

An answer (not ideal, but works):
I eventually resolved to perform a hard reset and lose my day of activities. No sooner had I done this and we were back in action. My run this morning has already synched and I'm back on track, but for how long???

What next?
From the troubleshooting I carried out, I suspect that there was some corrupt data within one of the activities I'd performed that day, or botht eh PC and Mac ANT agents are at fault.

I contacted Garmin support who said to regularly synchronise my data to avoid losing too many activities. That's not an acceptable answer in my mind for such an expensive device boasting to store hundreds of historical activities and doesn't bode well for my two weeks on holiday without my computer to sync it too.

Any chance of a firmware/software upgrade?
Perhaps a firmware upgrade might help fix this, or perhaps the ANT agent is causing the issue. Either way, I know I, and many others (having seen the number of people experiencing this), would be very grateful of any support from Garmin on this, as it's not a great start to such an anticipated product release.

BBECKER39
08-20-2009, 10:16 AM
I believe this issue is a data corruption issue that has been resolved and will be fixed in the next firmware update.

MOGGSY
08-21-2009, 01:44 AM
I believe this issue is a data corruption issue that has been resolved and will be fixed in the next firmware update.

Thanks for the response, that makes a lot of sense. I'll keep an eye out for it but is there any indication when this might be released? I'm worried I'll come back from two weeks away in September and lose every training session...

philipshambrook
08-22-2009, 08:48 PM
There was me feeling a little smug that I had not experienced any data transfer problems. And then it happens. The garmin hung transferring data. I only had 2 activities in the device so, after trying various things like reboots and reloads of ANT Agent, I deleted the one activity that was only a 1 lap run. Lo, the data transfer then completed of the remaining activity.

Strange really as I would have expected problems with the more complex multi-lap bike ride.

Is anyone in Garmin prepared to give a date when we can expect new firmware to resolve this?

philipshambrook
08-23-2009, 04:08 PM
A little more information.

Despite appearances, the remain activity was not being uploaded. The ANT Agent reported a successful transfer, but the activity itself did not appear in the History folder or GTC. There was a .FIT entry for the activity. After a couple more attempts yielding the same result, I deleted ALL the Ant Agent files in <User>/Library/ApplicationSupport/Garmin and reinstalled the ANT Agent.

Lo, then there was success. The activity appeared in GTC and I was able to upload it to RunSaturday.com

Maybe, in this instance anyway, the problem does lie within the ANT Agent software/files and not in the 310XT.

GEOFFD12
08-23-2009, 08:21 PM
Day 1 using my new Forerunner 310. Everything great until I tried to transfer data.

Have tried to troubleshoot for last 2 hours. Uninstalled and reinstalled several times. Followed the "corrupt data" theory here and and deleted my only saved workout. Created a second workout and it also failed to transfer.

Any suggestions? Starting to lose excitement for my new Garmin device.

Update. Just tried to hard reset which has seemed to work for some. Did not resolve data transfer issue for me.

EDOVONK
08-24-2009, 03:02 PM
Same problem here with uploading from my device and mac for more then two weeks now. I have contacted the helpdesk, but so far no answer and help. Hopefully it will be solved soon.

ASRID
08-24-2009, 03:22 PM
Day 1 using my new Forerunner 310. Everything great until I tried to transfer data.

Have tried to troubleshoot for last 2 hours. Uninstalled and reinstalled several times. Followed the "corrupt data" theory here and and deleted my only saved workout. Created a second workout and it also failed to transfer.

Any suggestions? Starting to lose excitement for my new Garmin device.

Update. Just tried to hard reset which has seemed to work for some. Did not resolve data transfer issue for me.

What kind of data did you have in your device after a hard reset? Did you recreate the workouts or did you have any other activities stored in it?

philipshambrook
08-24-2009, 03:34 PM
Same problem here with uploading from my device and mac for more then two weeks now. I have contacted the helpdesk, but so far no answer and help. Hopefully it will be solved soon.

How about your ANT USB key? We're lucky to have 2 x 310s in the house because we had an issue with one of the USB keys. Problem with ours was that it would work fine on the MAC but not with the WIndoze laptop. The other USB key worked fine on both. Sent it back to the shop we bought the Garmins from and got a replacement. Works fine on both now.

I am sure there are some posts around here about faulty USB keys. The shop also mentioned that they ahd a number of keys returned for replacement so clearly the problem is not unique.

GILESC1029
08-24-2009, 05:17 PM
I am currently experiencing the same problem. My last date transfer was on Aug 20th as well. I have since done several activities and none of them have transferred. I did a triathlon with it yesterday and that will not transfer. I do not want to erase the data from this race if I can avoid it. I have unpaired and re-paired the devices twice. The watch will say it is transferring data, but everytime the ANT says it has failed.

I have just read through all of the posts and realized that Aug 20th was the first time I put it in BIKE mode for a ride and that was the last transfer date I had success with. Prior to that I had been using it in run mode on the bike. Other posts mentioned that the most trouble was coming out of the Bike mode; I wish I had known that on Aug 19th.

ASRID
08-24-2009, 06:35 PM
The data getting corrupted on the watch has been related to using the device in the BIKE mode and this has been fixed. There should be a firmware release coming soon for the 310XT with the fix.

philipshambrook
08-24-2009, 06:52 PM
But the data I could not transfer the other day was a run!! I deleted the run - because it was only one 1 lap and had the information I least wanted to lose. The bike data, recorded the same day, before the run, transferred fine and that was multi-lap.

ASRID
08-24-2009, 07:01 PM
There was me feeling a little smug that I had not experienced any data transfer problems. And then it happens. The garmin hung transferring data. I only had 2 activities in the device so, after trying various things like reboots and reloads of ANT Agent, I deleted the one activity that was only a 1 lap run. Lo, the data transfer then completed of the remaining activity.

Strange really as I would have expected problems with the more complex multi-lap bike ride.

Is anyone in Garmin prepared to give a date when we can expect new firmware to resolve this?

It seems like you were having a different problem altogether. If the device had been corrupted, only a hard reset and not deletion of activities would fix it.

philipshambrook
08-24-2009, 07:11 PM
So, are you saying the device is getting corrupted, not the data in the device?

In which case, how will the firmware fix the problem I experienced? I do understand that without the corrupted file you cannot see where the problem was, but then, if I could not get the file of the 310, how would we look to resolve this problem?

It does seem a little intermittent, as the problems I have experienced are few and far between. I am a happy user :):):):): overall. (I did put lots of smiles but only allowed 4)

BTW, my wife and I biked and ran the same time and she experienced no problems uploading data. That makes it a reasonable assumption that only the data on my 310 was at fault, or only my 310 of course.

ASRID
08-24-2009, 07:35 PM
If you see similar issues with download in future, kindly look for files in a folder BadFitFiles/ in Garmin/Devices/<unit id>/ once GAA indicates transfer failure. That would be an indication of a corrupted data in your watch.

philipshambrook
08-24-2009, 08:26 PM
Thanks for that. :)

MOGGSY
08-26-2009, 01:35 AM
The data getting corrupted on the watch has been related to using the device in the BIKE mode and this has been fixed. There should be a firmware release coming soon for the 310XT with the fix.

This does sound like it could be the case, I never had any problem transferring RUN data and it was the BIKE data where I got the problem. Haven't been on the bike since this happened, but I'll wait for the firmware update before trying again in any case.

Thanks for the update.

MOGGSY
08-26-2009, 02:10 AM
If you see similar issues with download in future, kindly look for files in a folder BadFitFiles/ in Garmin/Devices/<unit id>/ once GAA indicates transfer failure. That would be an indication of a corrupted data in your watch.

I have found some BadFitFiles. Would it be of use for us to send these across to support somehow, or wouldn't it make any difference?

KAMIKAZE_RUNNER
08-26-2009, 04:17 PM
I had a similar problem and tech support walked me through the fix. You need to make sure the ANT stick is working and recognized by the PC. If it is plugged in and the ANT agent has a red line through it, you need to "start over" on installing the software. Be sure to first delete the USB drivers in Device Management. The reinstall the software and plug in the ANT only when asked to do so.

Jim

V1N2VEGA
08-27-2009, 06:52 AM
I have also the problem that the sync does not work anymore...
I bought it last Thursday, install all the Software on my Mac and synched without any problem...
Yesterday i designed a track, import it to the Garmin Training Center and choose Send to Device...
From this moment the Sync didn't finished correctly...
The download from training sessions work without any issue, also the session from this morning...
But after download the sessions the ANT agent told me something about uploading tracks.. and quit with an error...
The 310xt starts now every 5 seconds, because there is data waiting for Upload...
I deleted the courses folder, the pending uploads folder... but still the same problem..
So i decide to rename the Device folder and try to reconnect the device..
I deleted all data from the 310xt device, from the connect-garmin site, did a reset and connect the device as new device to the ANT agent...
Now the initial sync stops at 80% with an error.. and the device starts every 5 seconds and runs in an error...
At the moment no sync is possible...
I already reinstalled the ANT Agent.. same error...
What is the way to get my 310xt back to default, so that i can sync it to my mac...? i have all sessions saved on my macbook, so i can reset the device if possible...

MOGGSY
08-27-2009, 06:55 AM
I have also the problem that the sync does not work anymore...
I bought it last Thursday, install all the Software on my Mac and synched without any problem...
Yesterday i designed a track, import it to the Garmin Training Center and choose Send to Device...
From this moment the Sync didn't finished correctly...
The download from training sessions work without any issue, also the session from this morning...
But after download the sessions the ANT agent told me something about uploading tracks.. and quit with an error...
The 310xt starts now every 5 seconds, because there is data waiting for Upload...
I deleted the courses folder, the pending uploads folder... but still the same problem..
So i decide to rename the Device folder and try to reconnect the device..
I deleted all data from the 310xt device, from the connect-garmin site, did a reset and connect the device as new device to the ANT agent...
Now the initial sync stops at 80% with an error.. and the device starts every 5 seconds and runs in an error...
At the moment no sync is possible...
I already reinstalled the ANT Agent.. same error...
What is the way to get my 310xt back to default, so that i can sync it to my mac...? i have all sessions saved on my macbook, so i can reset the device if possible...

A hard reset is performed by holding down the mode button while turning on the device.

V1N2VEGA
08-27-2009, 07:10 AM
i did a hard reset, now the sync was successful...
Thank you very much...

But... this evening is the first tour on a bike planned... and when i read all these entries about problems changing to bike mode i am a bit scary.. :-)

What exactly is the differences between bike and running mode..? can i ride 2hours on my bike with the 310xt running in run mode...? or is the speed on a bike too fast for the run mode.. ? is the difference the time between a gps coord. is recorded..?

NDURANCERIDER
08-27-2009, 07:53 AM
You can use the "running" mode for anything you want.

The difference between Biking mode and Running mode is that the cadence unit isn't recognized in Running mode and the foot pod unit isn't recognized in Bike mode. Also, your calorie counts will be different based on the mode.

But other than that, the 310 will function the same in the modes. It will still lay down trackpoints and all the rest.

April

DW152
08-27-2009, 07:58 AM
FWIW, I've used my 310 on four bike rides without corruption. Two were standalone bike rides, and two were during triathlons while in automultisport mode.

Also, as NDURANCERIDER points out, if the 310 is run mode it won't pair with a speed and cadence unit, but if you also have a power meter, it probably won't pair with that either.

GEOFFD12
08-28-2009, 09:32 PM
No data stored after hard reset. Just created new data and it failed to transfer.

New update here is that I am now transferring data inconsistently. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. Go figure.

GEOFFD12
08-29-2009, 04:56 PM
Is there an estimated time for the release of the firmware update? I just purchased the device as I have some upcoming races. Quite disappointing to not have full functionality out of the box. Love the 310 but was really looking forward to be able to upload saved workout data.

Thanks. . .

KESTREL40
08-30-2009, 01:33 PM
I've had my 310 for two weeks now, and have lost data twice, spent quite a large amount of time scouring Garmin's website for help, and spent quite a bit of time on the phone with technical support (which was very helpful). Still, while I like the device I am not impressed with its ability (or lack thereof) to transfer data to my computer. I'm getting ready to contact customer support tomorrow, because this isn't working again.

Thinking about returning the unit and buying a Polar device.

philipshambrook
08-30-2009, 03:32 PM
Had mine for around 3 weeks now and only experienced 1 problem upload. Looking back, I now suspect it was my fault, possibly. What I have been doing since that 1 occasion is ensuring that the ANT agent is open so that I can see the progress bar when data is transferring.

I have noticed that on several occasions the data transfer seems to stall and the progress bar not move for several seconds, sometimes even longer. On other occasions, the data transfer has given up, reported a failure in the ANT agent, then resumed after a short break. Now, I just leave the 310XT and the ANT agent to get on with their thing and attend to other jobs in the meantime.

Since doing this, I have not lost (touching wood feverishly) any data or had any failed uploads. And that is doing bike, run, swim, and bike, run sessions.

MADEUPNAME
08-31-2009, 11:13 AM
I too have had issues uploading using the Ant Agent but have found that I can upload fine using the "Upload" button from the Dashboard in Garmin Connect.

I also continued to receive the "failed upload" message today which meant the firmware upgrade which also appeared today would not install even after a hard reset of the 310 as the Ant Agent was convinced that there was data to swap.

Eventually I found that by renaming the "Device" folder in the string user/library/application support/garmin to "Device - old", removing the Ant Agent stick, re-inserting it and re-downloading the firmware upgrade, would the upgrade actually install.

Not particularly impressed to be honest.

MADEUPNAME
08-31-2009, 12:27 PM
Just been on a run with the new 2.6 firmware for the 310.

Sadly the grossly inaccurate elevation data has not been corrected. The course shows virtually identical height gain and loss as pre firmware..... and that is overstated by about 2.5 times.

DW152
08-31-2009, 12:50 PM
Sadly the grossly inaccurate elevation data has not been corrected. The course shows virtually identical height gain and loss as pre firmware..... and that is overstated by about 2.5 times.

Since there is not a barometric altimeter in the 310, that won't be fixed by firmware. It can be improved through post-processing in GC, which is going to happen someday.

MADEUPNAME
08-31-2009, 02:17 PM
Since there is not a barometric altimeter in the 310, that won't be fixed by firmware. It can be improved through post-processing in GC, which is going to happen someday.

Factually you are correct however the 405 also has no barometric altimeter and nonetheless is able to provide an acceptably accurate result on the same courses as the 310. There is a flat out issue with how the 310 uses the data it collects.

LONDONJ2009
09-14-2009, 12:12 PM
Hi all,

(This question kind of looks like I might be re-asking something that's answered elsewhere, but the last thread on this subject tails off into a discussion in of barometric altimeters and I thought it might be useful to have a canonical answer.)

I have a 310XT. It paired with my Mac fine, and I transferred the first quick workout session as a test.

Now it (the device) hangs on the 'Transferring Data' message and the ANT Agent says the transfer fails.

Quite apart from the fact that my first experience of my shiny new device has been *terrible* - I bought it, on the day I got it I took it on a weekend bike trip, now I can't get the data off - I would like to figure out the solution.

Do I take it from this that the prescribed medicine is:
- Delete all workouts from device
- Try to connect again and install firmware
?

I really, really don't want to lose the workout data, as it was on a trip, but if this is the solution I would be grateful for a confirmation. Thanks!

ASRID
09-14-2009, 04:17 PM
What is the version of the firmware on your 310XT? If you do not have 2.6, that is the first thing you want to do as this has the fix for file corruption on the device in the prior firmwares.

If you see your data transfer progressing for a while before it fails, please turn on debugging in your application and send us the log files. If it always fails at 0%, it could be due to corruption in your device that requires a hard reset and a firmware upgrade before progressing.

Kindly refer to other related threads for this issue:
https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=1583

LONDONJ2009
09-15-2009, 03:44 AM
I have firmware 2.4. To be fair, it was shipped to me with Firmware 2.4 on Thursday of last week.

The data transfer sticks at 0%.

LONDONJ2009
09-16-2009, 03:45 PM
Does that mean my data is hosed?

I appreciate the reference to the other thread, but it refers to Snow Leopard and I'm not using Snow Leopard.

Thanks for any further assistance.

ASRID
09-16-2009, 06:44 PM
If you are not on Snow Leopard you should be able to update your unit to 2.6. But prior to that , you may to hard reset your device as it seems like your data has been corrupted.

FHERRERA3
05-30-2010, 11:46 PM
Hello:

My garmin 310xt used to transfer to my mac (PPC, 10.5.8 OS) and now its doesnt. Ant recognizes it, the transfer "starts" but after the units beeps about 3 times it just stops.

I've also maxed out the storage space on the unit and CANT lose the data. Any suggestions.

HELP!!!

ASRID
06-01-2010, 11:09 AM
What is the version of ANT Agent that you are running? Are you seeing this failure after updating to this version or updating your device recently?

NAMTAF
06-20-2010, 08:14 PM
just downloaded 2.16

FHERRERA3
08-28-2010, 01:52 PM
Just finished my first HIM. Now the data wont transfer. I had this happen before and had to wipe the unit out and redo everything. I really dont want to lose the race data for obvious reasons.

Any help!? I NEED IT!!

MAC: 10.5.8 OS
PROCESSOR: PPC G4
ANT: 2.1.6
:mad::mad::mad:

ASRID
08-30-2010, 01:50 PM
What is the f/w version on your 310XT? Also, what kind of transfer failure message are you seeing in ANT Agent. Is it a transfer from device or when uploading to Garmin Connect? This information should be available in the status message of ANT Agent.

MATTIAPERCUDANI
09-04-2010, 09:06 AM
Again.
lost ALL my data from Ironman Austria in july and again my XT is failing to sync. 4th time in 6 months.
Whats going on ?
Clearly this is a bug.
Is there any solution.
Im using the XT also to record Power data...but this is becoming a huge problem.

ASRID
09-07-2010, 02:57 AM
Again.
lost ALL my data from Ironman Austria in july and again my XT is failing to sync. 4th time in 6 months.
Whats going on ?
Clearly this is a bug.
Is there any solution.
Im using the XT also to record Power data...but this is becoming a huge problem.

Are you having issues detecting the device or transfer errors and/or crashes during the transfer. If you are seeing errors, please let us know what kind of error is it. If it is a crash, it would help if you can send us the Device folder on your system.

JFWOOD2003
09-11-2010, 02:26 AM
My 310XT stopped transferring data 8th August

have dual PPC G5

Mac OS 10.5.8

Safari 5.0.1 or Firefox 3.5.12

Ant agent is 2.1.6

Firmware is at 2.5 - I tried to update it (and it is successfully transferred to ANT agent) but the update transfer to the 310 doesn't work.

If I view the ANT window it says

"Downloading fitness data"

then it says

"Last transfer with device Forerunner 310XT on [date] failed"

any ideas??

FHERRERA3
09-11-2010, 02:11 PM
The error comes from ANT agent:

"Last transfer with device...failed."

I have ALOT of data in there, including my first HIM. I dont want to lose it!

FHERRERA3
09-11-2010, 02:12 PM
Unit FW = 2.5

I've downloaded the update but id doesnt transfer to the unit AT ALL. I've tried more than 20 times.

ASRID
09-11-2010, 04:45 PM
Unit FW = 2.5

I've downloaded the update but id doesnt transfer to the unit AT ALL. I've tried more than 20 times.

Kindly compress and send us your Device folder and we will take a look at your existing files. It would also help if you can enable debugging in your application, the instructions for which are available in this forum and send us your debug logs as well.

ASRID
09-11-2010, 04:46 PM
My 310XT stopped transferring data 8th August

have dual PPC G5

Mac OS 10.5.8

Safari 5.0.1 or Firefox 3.5.12

Ant agent is 2.1.6

Firmware is at 2.5 - I tried to update it (and it is successfully transferred to ANT agent) but the update transfer to the 310 doesn't work.

If I view the ANT window it says

"Downloading fitness data"

then it says

"Last transfer with device Forerunner 310XT on [date] failed"

any ideas??

Kindly enable debugging and send us your log files. Do you have data that is pending transfers to your computer or are you just attempting to update the firmware on your device?

JFWOOD2003
09-13-2010, 05:04 AM
Kindly enable debugging and send us your log files. Do you have data that is pending transfers to your computer or are you just attempting to update the firmware on your device?

thanks asrid

i do have some data i would ideally like to keep (from a cycle event)

i will do a search on "enable debugging" and "sending log files" - given this seems a common thing to keep coming it up would it be worth linking to relevant posts / info in your response?? ie where to send log files to?

just found sticky:

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=2247&highlight=enabling+debugging

ZAGGRAD42
10-15-2010, 09:38 AM
I'm not following the "debugging" sticky. I don't even know where to start. Where do I find the com.garmin.AntAgent.plist? Under users? Where is that?

Also, this is now the 3rd time I've had this "failed" data transfer since I bought this thing since March. Singlehandedly, the biggest negative about this device.

ZAGGRAD42
10-15-2010, 10:22 AM
Just completed a hard reset. Sigh....I guess that's the panacea for this thing.